Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

dmbetc 03-02-2016 12:29 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16322166)
Quick question about your mindsets. If you teams gets knocked out of the playoffs do you cheer for the team that beat them figuring that if they beat your team you don't want anyone else to beat the team you lost to? Or if a team knocks your team our of the playoffs do you cheer against any team that the team who beat yours plays. Personally if someone beats the Hawks I hope they get crushed by the next team (or teams) they face but I am curious how you all think about this, I know we all love hockey but different people think different so I'd love to hear your opinions on this question.

All depends on the team, for me. I have a handful of teams who I will always root against, some I am indifferent to and the others I would actively cheer for.

If Ducks knock off the Kings I would root against them
If Avs knock off the Kings I would root for them

barbogast 03-02-2016 12:35 PM

I usually root for the biggest underdog from either conference after the Caps get knocked out. Always root against the powerhouses. Never root for Philly, Pittsburgh or New York (either, really).

TMoore4075 03-02-2016 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16322157)
I'd like to see the Red Wings win one again.

I want them to win every year. I would love to see Hank and Pavel get one more before they are done. Would REALLY love Howie to get one but most likely not gonna be the starter and probably traded this summer so...
Quote:

Quick question about your mindsets. If you teams gets knocked out of the playoffs do you cheer for the team that beat them figuring that if they beat your team you don't want anyone else to beat the team you lost to? Or if a team knocks your team our of the playoffs do you cheer against any team that the team who beat yours plays. Personally if someone beats the Hawks I hope they get crushed by the next team (or teams) they face but I am curious how you all think about this, I know we all love hockey but different people think different so I'd love to hear your opinions on this question.

It depends. If my team loses in the conference finals, I root against the team that beat them. I don't want them winning it all. If they lose in round 1 or 2, I want the team that beat them to win a round so it's not like wow we lost to a team that got swept in the next round...Wings lost early in 03, 04 and 06 and each time the team they lost to, lost in game 7 of the finals. It felt nice that it wasn't a fluke.

fonzz41 03-02-2016 12:46 PM

Quote:

Again, I would go for certain players to get a Cup, usually regardless of team.
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16322174)
If Avs knock off the Kings I would root for them

:hug forever

aeroshady 03-02-2016 12:51 PM

Depends on the year. Last year I rooted for the Hawks pretty hard. I just can't get behind Tampa (but I also really like the Panthers so that may play a role). Also, all the former Rangers on the team made it a hard pill to swallow last year. That said, I rooted for Boston the last time they knocked us out (3 years ago I think). So I don't always root against the team that beats us.

This year it would all depend. It looks like we are headed for the Islanders in the first round. Obviously, I can't root for them should they decided to actually win a playoff series again.

As for the Capitals, I actually didn't have anything against them (okay, so I have not been on the other end of several losses to them). In fact, I said last year after we won that series that I would be totally for them winning one finally. That said, and I am being totally honest here...Barbs strong hate for the Rangers is making me dislike the Capitals now :lol. For that reason, I may be rooting another playoff crash out from them. Funny how other fans can change your mind on a team. Really, if the Caps fans stopped blaming and hating the Rangers for their team letting them down every year, I would probably like to see that team get their first cup.

Probably just rooting for the Panthers if the Rangers don't make it! Maybe Boston too so I can go up to a game.

barbogast 03-02-2016 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16322199)
As for the Capitals, I actually didn't have anything against them (okay, so I have not been on the other end of several losses to them). In fact, I said last year after we won that series that I would be totally for them winning one finally. That said, and I am being totally honest here...Barbs strong hate for the Rangers is making me dislike the Capitals now :lol. For that reason, I may be rooting another playoff crash out from them. Funny how other fans can change your mind on a team. Really, if the Caps fans stopped blaming and hating the Rangers for their team letting them down every year, I would probably like to see that team get their first cup.

Oh I don't blame the Rangers when the Caps lose. Never have. And I mean it's the way it's always been, especially over the past 8 years or whatever since we've started meeting virtually every year in the playoffs. I have nothing but love for Rangers fans, especially the ones in here. Same for the Pens and Flyers fans in here. I think you guys are swell and I'm happy for you guys when your teams do well. I'll admit I'm a tad jealous I've never felt it. But I have never blamed the Rangers certainly. And while it's true I won't ever root for any of the aforementioned teams, that doesn't necessarily mean I'm not happy for you guys as fans when your team experiences good fortune nor do I rejoice in your disappointment if your team does end up losing.

I'm honestly surprised you're as fond of the Caps as you are. It's been a pretty heavy rivalry for close to a decade now.

lockman21 03-02-2016 01:27 PM

Quote:

Doesn't really have any effect on who I root for. I'm with Matty and start rooting for players. I'd love to see Lundqvist get one. After seeing how heartbroken he was (not sure I've seen someone more heartbroken than Hank) after the Kings series, I really want him to win. Plus I love McDonagh, Nash, Brassard, Yandle, and Stepan. So I guess I'd root for the Rangers, but point being, I just root for players, whether a team beat the Hawks or not has no effect on who I root for.

I also root for small market teams. I love seeing small market teams succeed, because it means that hockey will start to grow. I always love to see sustained success that allows hockey to grow and thrive. Would love to see success in Dallas, Arizona, Tampa, etc.

But always - fuck the Blues and Wild. I don't root for those schmucks.

rickyh24 03-02-2016 01:32 PM

I want the capitals to win it all this year. Don't even care if the Bruins are still in it.

barbogast 03-02-2016 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 16322269)
I want the capitals to win it all this year. Don't even care if the Bruins are still in it.

I like you

hailtopitt 03-02-2016 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16322261)
I also root for small market teams. I love seeing small market teams succeed, because it means that hockey will start to grow. I always love to see sustained success that allows hockey to grow and thrive. Would love to see success in Dallas, Arizona, Tampa, etc.

i know what you mean here, and not to be a dick, but Dallas and Phoenix are not "small" markets

they just aren't hockey markets...yet that is

as much as i want the game to grow, i have a bad feeling about 32 teams

dmbetc 03-02-2016 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 16322269)

you gonna get a Caps tattoo?

/gocubs

aeroshady 03-02-2016 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16322219)
Oh I don't blame the Rangers when the Caps lose. Never have. And I mean it's the way it's always been, especially over the past 8 years or whatever since we've started meeting virtually every year in the playoffs. I have nothing but love for Rangers fans, especially the ones in here. Same for the Pens and Flyers fans in here. I think you guys are swell and I'm happy for you guys when your teams do well. I'll admit I'm a tad jealous I've never felt it. But I have never blamed the Rangers certainly. And while it's true I won't ever root for any of the aforementioned teams, that doesn't necessarily mean I'm not happy for you guys as fans when your team experiences good fortune nor do I rejoice in your disappointment if your team does end up losing.

I'm honestly surprised you're as fond of the Caps as you are. It's been a pretty heavy rivalry for close to a decade now.

I guess (and seriously not trying to stir the pot) I don't really consider the Caps a major rival. Division rival yes, but I don't put them on the level of NJ and the Icelanders. Even Philly to a lesser extent is a bigger rival. I think it comes down to proximity of those teams and their fans. We run into each other all the time so the rivalry is constantly fueled.

As for the Caps, it only becomes a big deal when we meet on the playoffs. I do think that winning most (not all...remember we collapsed once too against you guys) series has helped not fuel any lasting hate. Also, my friends who moved to DC after school have really adopted the city and the team. I don't see them during the regular season much so I don't get constant crap like I do from teams up here. I also love going to visit the DC area. Basically, DC is a good hockey market and I don't mind the idea of that team getting one to solidify the market up.

I view the Caps like I view the Pens in that way. Except the Pens did win a cup so now I don't care if they do again for a very long time haha.

lockman21 03-02-2016 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16322286)
i know what you mean here, and not to be a dick, but Dallas and Phoenix are not "small" markets

they just aren't hockey markets...yet that is

as much as i want the game to grow, i have a bad feeling about 32 teams

:lol No shit Dallas and Phoenix are big cities. I meant small hockey markets. Come on, who are you, my boss? I get micromanaged on word choice enough at work. Gimmie a break.

dmbetc 03-02-2016 02:29 PM

:lol:lol

fonzz41 03-02-2016 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16322360)
:lol No shit Dallas and Phoenix are big cities. I meant small hockey markets. Come on, who are you, my boss? I get micromanaged on word choice enough at work. Gimme a break.

Fixed.

Come on, Chris!

barbogast 03-02-2016 03:27 PM

Proper terminology is "give me".

Come on, Matty.

fonzz41 03-02-2016 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16322419)
Proper terminology is "give me".

Come on, Matty.

Wait... Are YOU Chris's boss?!

barbogast 03-02-2016 04:05 PM

:lol :lol

Lcsulla 03-02-2016 04:25 PM

Lets go out and win tonight Chicago (against Detroit) and Montreal (against Anaheim)!

Washington against Toronto should be an easy win for the Caps barring some sort of 'miracle on ice' fluke

JRS1386 03-02-2016 04:32 PM

Teams I would not root for

Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.

SirBobalew 03-02-2016 04:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Saw this on Twitter re: the Caps play of late and it made me :lol

dmbetc 03-02-2016 04:52 PM

Canadian World Cup jerseys look slick.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/2016...hockey-jerseys

~Crashintome89~ 03-02-2016 06:12 PM

I think they're all pretty terrible with the exception of Russia and Sweden.

SirBobalew 03-02-2016 06:16 PM

Caps compete level is 0 right now. It's embarrassing.

barbogast 03-02-2016 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 16322562)
Caps compete level is 0 right now. It's embarrassing.

Agreed. It's like they kinda just wait around until they win. Which most nights they're good enough to do that. The record doesn't indicate it, and it may sound weird if you aren't paying close attention to the team, but they haven't been all that great for the last couple weeks. Kinda sloppy, pretty passive. Waiting for things to happen. Just kinda feels lethargic.

lockman21 03-02-2016 07:45 PM

Really think this is the best group of forwards the Hawks have had since they started competing again. This team is just incredibly deep and skilled. Detroit saw it tonight, and it's a team that still is going to add Hossa, Weise, and Kruger. Christ.

swordo84 03-02-2016 08:12 PM

Quote:

What are the playoffs? (am I saying that right? Play-offs?)

UCFish 03-02-2016 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16322653)
Really think this is the best group of forwards the Hawks have had since they started competing again. This team is just incredibly deep and skilled. Detroit saw it tonight, and it's a team that still is going to add Hossa, Weise, and Kruger. Christ.

:thumbsup

mr.MikeD 03-02-2016 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 16322673)
What are the playoffs? (am I saying that right? Play-offs?)

something to do with golf?

coldengrey12 03-02-2016 08:56 PM

Quote:

There are no teams but my team! :lol jk

It depends. I tend to root for the Western Conference in the finals on principle. We run shit! Seven out of the past 10 Cups! 13/20!

I'm getting tired of the Hawks and Kings passing the Cup back and forth, but I'm glad it's staying in the West.

I guess I'd rather see my team lose to the eventual winner so I can be like, "Well, there was no stopping X!"