Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

salrx95 06-03-2015 04:04 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Pretty cool commercial, especially because of who they chose to be the first coach you see.

http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.asp...made&id=540877

TMoore4075 06-03-2015 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15989995)
I'd rather have Leddy for the same 5.5 per. Where is the outrage?

Hawks in 6.

Yeah I'd take Leddy for that price too over Petry. Maybe Petry will work out nicely there. Lets face it, he's been on a pretty shitty team for years. But still, that price? The players sure have the GM's by the balls. And then in a few years, the owners will be crying poor again. I go back to Green. He's gonna get huge money. It's things like this that make it hard for the Wings to improve their D through free agency. Not that I want them to overspend on a Mike Green but GMs give money to guy like Petry it drives up the price on the good ones and (thankfully) Ken Holland won't pay those prices. So we think Green gets $7mil-ish per, as a cap hit? So (at least in terms of cap hit) he could be making as much as Weber....wow. I know someone will come in and say well Weber got a 14 year deal and won't play till the end and blah blah blah, but still, same cap hit roughly for those 2 players?

bartender_man 06-03-2015 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15989982)
Stanley Cup Final officially begins tonight. Hell to the yeah.

Fucked pumped!!!!

Roose13 06-03-2015 05:23 AM

Timonen in 6

TMoore4075 06-03-2015 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bartender_man (Post 15990052)
Fucked pumped!!!!

Is this some new position this old guy doesn't know about? ;-)

bonzo48280 06-03-2015 06:16 AM

where's a good spot to watch the game in Manhattan?

SirBobalew 06-03-2015 07:03 AM

Oh man, there's actually hockey tonight. It's about damn time. Gonna miss the game though, taking my dog to "pups in the park" at the Nationals game with my fiancee. If there's no rain delay (and that's a big "if"), I hope to be home for the third period.

At least Mark Buehrle is pitching for the Blue Jays. He works really fast.

Roose13 06-03-2015 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 15990129)
where's a good spot to watch the game in Manhattan?

Find the biggest Rangers bar and wear all your Hawks shit.

Bron Yr Aur 06-03-2015 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15990002)
Yeah I'd take Leddy for that price too over Petry. Maybe Petry will work out nicely there. Lets face it, he's been on a pretty shitty team for years. But still, that price? The players sure have the GM's by the balls. And then in a few years, the owners will be crying poor again. I go back to Green. He's gonna get huge money. It's things like this that make it hard for the Wings to improve their D through free agency. Not that I want them to overspend on a Mike Green but GMs give money to guy like Petry it drives up the price on the good ones and (thankfully) Ken Holland won't pay those prices. So we think Green gets $7mil-ish per, as a cap hit? So (at least in terms of cap hit) he could be making as much as Weber....wow. I know someone will come in and say well Weber got a 14 year deal and won't play till the end and blah blah blah, but still, same cap hit roughly for those 2 players?

Well why even try to have the discussion if you are going to dismiss one of the most important parts of the argument. Comparing players based solely on their cap hit and ignoring (a) when they signed, (b) how long their deal is, (c) total value of the contract is just ludicrous.

Shea Weber signed that deal 3 years ago. He was making $14m per year the first few seasons.....it's just pointless to compare that to whatever Green will get just because the cap hits are similar.

Bron Yr Aur 06-03-2015 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15988976)
lol classic Bron

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15988977)
Keith's contract ends when he's 40. He's not retiring before then.

lol classic lockman.

Really?? So he's going to be playing at 38, 39, 40 when he has already made $65m+ (90%) of his contract.

Not to mention, yeah Keith is looking amazing right now. We'll see how he ages. The number of guys who keep this up into their late 30's you can count on one hand.

TMoore4075 06-03-2015 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 15990607)
Well why even try to have the discussion if you are going to dismiss one of the most important parts of the argument. Comparing players based solely on their cap hit and ignoring (a) when they signed, (b) how long their deal is, (c) total value of the contract is just ludicrous.

Shea Weber signed that deal 3 years ago. He was making $14m per year the first few seasons.....it's just pointless to compare that to whatever Green will get just because the cap hits are similar.

Fine I'll put it in a way you can see it. PK Subban will be making $9mil while Mike Green is probably getting 7-8mil. 5 more years until the next lockout when the NHL cries poor and the PA says how they don't make enough money.

TMoore4075 06-03-2015 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 15990621)
lol classic lockman.

Really?? So he's going to be playing at 38, 39, 40 when he has already made $65m+ (90%) of his contract.

Not to mention, yeah Keith is looking amazing right now. We'll see how he ages. The number of guys who keep this up into their late 30's you can count on one hand.

Yes he will. So will Zetterberg, Hossa, Weber and so will Franzen, or at worst they'll somehow get hurt and be on LTIR. They won't fuck over the teams. Maybe before the new CBA they would have retired since there was no penalty but I don't see any of those guys screwing over the teams by retiring early. If he can still play why wouldn't he play for the money? He's gonna say "I can still play but I don't want to play a game I love for $2mil because I've got most of my money already."

bonzo48280 06-03-2015 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 15990482)
Find the biggest Rangers bar and wear all your Hawks shit.

I've been walking around all day in my Hawks jersey. "you guoys shud be playin hair tonight" - in reference to my Kane jersey. I said "we should have played here last night too"

Bron Yr Aur 06-03-2015 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15990641)
Fine I'll put it in a way you can see it. PK Subban will be making $9mil while Mike Green is probably getting 7-8mil. 5 more years until the next lockout when the NHL cries poor and the PA says how they don't make enough money.

You are siding with the much much richer owners who will be crying that the players (you know, the guys who everyone shows up / tunes in to watch) are asking for a larger slice of the pie.

Not to mention, who is authorizing their GM's to be making these deals anyway? :confused

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15990668)
Yes he will. So will Zetterberg, Hossa, Weber and so will Franzen, or at worst they'll somehow get hurt and be on LTIR. They won't fuck over the teams. Maybe before the new CBA they would have retired since there was no penalty but I don't see any of those guys screwing over the teams by retiring early. If he can still play why wouldn't he play for the money? He's gonna say "I can still play but I don't want to play a game I love for $2mil because I've got most of my money already."

If you made $100,000 a year for 10 years at your job and and then had the option of continuing for three more years making $20,000 per year or just quitting and being able to see your kids all the time and doing whatever the fuck else you wanted, which would you choose?

We will see what happens with these guys. Maybe they play, maybe they don't, maybe they just end up being too damn terrible to put out on the ice when they are that old.

Lcsulla 06-03-2015 10:31 AM

Guesses on the Conn Smyth?

If Tampa wins I think Johnson or Stamkos has the inside track
If Chicago wins I think Keith or Toews are the favorites

TMoore4075 06-03-2015 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 15990788)

Yes and yes. I'd go with Johnson if it's Tampa. They are done in round one without him.

fonzz41 06-03-2015 11:24 AM

If TB wins, they should give it to the Triplets. All of 'em. I heard somewhere that they've scored something like 28 of TB's 50 goals this postseason.

Keith should definitely take it in Chicago. Toews is the bigger star, so wouldn't be surprised if it ended up going to him. And certainly, his play merits it. But man, Keith has been even better than his normally excellent self this postseason.

SirBobalew 06-03-2015 12:14 PM

If Chicago wins, it's Keith or Toews no doubt.

If TB wins, I think it's more up in the air. To this point, I'd give it to Johnson. But if they beat Chicago, it may be because Bishop stands on his head, so I could see him winning it based on his performance in the Final.

Lcsulla 06-03-2015 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 15991025)
If Chicago wins, it's Keith or Toews no doubt.

If TB wins, I think it's more up in the air. To this point, I'd give it to Johnson. But if they beat Chicago, it may be because Bishop stands on his head, so I could see him winning it based on his performance in the Final.

Not sure either of the goalies should be in contention to be honest. This is not a trophy for just the final series but the entire playoffs and lets be honest, both Crawford and Bishop had had some really bad games. The other guys I noted have been pretty damn consistent!

Bron Yr Aur 06-03-2015 01:43 PM

Should be Keith if Hawks win. Just the sheer minutes he has played against great opposition. Not to mention scoring a couple huge goals in round 1.

lockman21 06-03-2015 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 15990788)

As of today, it's gotta be Johnson and Keith as the front runners. 19! 19! 19! has been phenomenal as well, but Keith is playing the best hockey of his career.

kev87lads 06-03-2015 02:26 PM

Hawks in 6

lockman21 06-03-2015 02:27 PM

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/mik...ng-blackhawks/

This is freakin awesome.

dmbetc 06-03-2015 02:39 PM

Finally watching Of Miracles and Men today in preparation of tonight.

dmbetc 06-03-2015 02:41 PM

Tampa in 7

BotheLaneFan 06-03-2015 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15991276)
As of today, it's gotta be Johnson and Keith as the front runners. 19! 19! 19! has been phenomenal as well, but Keith is playing the best hockey of his career.

Toews is the betting favorite the last I looked. Keith was like 5-1.

lockman21 06-03-2015 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 15990621)
lol classic lockman.

1) Yes, I do. The fact that you think Keith is going to bail on Chicago and, more importantly, hockey because he's already made money is hilarious and shows your ignorance big time. Did Selanne retire because he already was rich? Lidstrom? Ray Bourque? No, so, just stop. This is hockey, not the NBA/NFL.

2) Keith will be one of those "guys you can count on one hand", even though that's an inaccurate statement too. Lidstrom, Bourque, Selanne, Iginla, Jagr, Whitney, Modano, etc. all played strongly into their mid/late 30s. I think Keith is going to age a LOT like Lidstrom, who was still great at 40.

And for the sake of argument, let's assume that Keith starts to slow down in 5 years. Let's assume that in 2021-2022 Duncs is a step or two slow, and doesn't age well (which is a ridiculous thing to think, considering all evidence to the contrary, considering he's physically a freak). Right now, Jeff Petry is getting contracts with a cap hit of $5.5, the same as Duncan Keith. You really think that the cap isn't going to be at like $95-$100m then? And a $5.5m cap hit is basically the norm?

AND EVEN IF THE CAP DOESN'T GO UP, the point is to win Stanley Cups, right? And right now, the Hawks are in the Cup Finals for the 3rd time in 6 years, and a lot of that has to do with getting the best defenseman in the league at a cap hit half of what he's worth, as well as Marian Hossa a couple million less than he's worth. Keith could EASILY be worth a cap hit of $9-$10m. Hossa could EASILY be $8m. So you're saving $7m total on the cap because of these hilarious cap circumventing contracts. Right now, the Hawks are getting Hjalmarsson and Keith for the price the Habs are getting Subban.

So worst case scenario, even if the Hawks get totally ass fucked by Hossa and Keith (which they won't, the two of them love and have way too much respect for the organization AND hockey then to fuck them with early retirement), the Hawks were still able to get two elite talents at ridiculously low cap hits to allow them to build a team with ridiculous depth for about a decade and potentially win a ton of Stanley Cups.

So even the worst case scenario, you dominate for a decade and get ass fucked for a couple years, which isn't really an ass fucking, because the cap ceiling will be nearly triple digits by then.

Soooooo...yeah :lol

Keith is the best contract in the NHL. By far.

lockman21 06-03-2015 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BotheBradyFan (Post 15991336)

Seems like Keith is a good bet, then.

fonzz41 06-03-2015 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BotheBradyFan (Post 15991336)

19! 19! 19! 19! has definitely been more noticeable to the average hockey watcher. Part of the nature of Keith's position is to not be noticed.

lockman21 06-03-2015 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15991381)
19! 19! 19! 19! has definitely been more noticeable to the average hockey watcher. Part of the nature of Keith's position is to not be noticed.

His 2nd period against Anaheim in game 6 might have been the best 20 minutes I've ever seen by a defenseman.