Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

fonzz41 04-24-2015 03:43 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15923424)
Chiarelli to the Oilers huh? I think that's a great signing by them.

I hate to admit that I actually agree with something Ken Campbell says, but this:

Quote:

Because as of today, with the addition of Chiarelli to the group, the Oilers have four men who are either current or former GMs running their hockey department Chiarelli, Kevin Lowe, Craig MacTavish and Scott Howson which is about three too many. It would stand to reason that Lowe and MacTavish would have to go, if for no other reason than it would be impossible for four guys with different backgrounds to come to much of a consensus on anything.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/is...-history-book/
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 15923430)
And I just read that the Sharks are going to talk to Randy Carlyle which would just be lololololol

I think Carlyle could work in San Jose, but I agree with Tim (and I think what you're implying by your lol's) that more needs to happen there than just get a new coach. Some roster overhaul needs to be in the works. And I'm still a bit surprised that Wilson didn't get thrown out along with McLellan.

salrx95 04-24-2015 03:47 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 15923435)
I'm waiting to hear Bylsma's name. With all the openings out there, he's gotta land a job somewhere.

If Capuano wins this series, he deserves to come back. If he doesn't, I want Bylsma only because Babcock is likely not an option. They need a coaching staff overhaul after not ending the season well and the special teams being a problem for much of the season. We need an upgrade on the bench to take this team to the next level. I respect and like Cappy but I have never thought he was that man. They have spent the money on the players finally. Now they need to do so on the bench.

fonzz41 04-24-2015 03:53 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15923473)
If Capuano wins this series, he deserves to come back. If he doesn't, I want Bylsma only because Babcock is likely not an option. They need a coaching staff overhaul after not ending the season well and the special teams being a problem for much of the season. We need an upgrade on the bench to take this team to the next level. I respect and like Cappy but I have never thought he was that man. They have spent the money on the players finally. Now they need to do so on the bench.

This is an interesting opinion that I honestly didn't expect to hear. So do you view Capuano as more of a developmental coach? Someone that can kinda help players individually get to the level they need to be at in the NHL, but not quite "the" coach that can take a team all the way? Not trying to argue - honestly want to to know your thoughts.

One thing's for sure: This offseason will be just as exciting to see where coaches go as it will for players. A lot of big names out there.

TMoore4075 04-24-2015 04:03 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15923467)
I hate to admit that I actually agree with something Ken Campbell says, but this:


http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/is...-history-book/

I think Carlyle could work in San Jose, but I agree with Tim (and I think what you're implying by your lol's) that more needs to happen there than just get a new coach. Some roster overhaul needs to be in the works. And I'm still a bit surprised that Wilson didn't get thrown out along with McLellan.

Lowe has been removed from hockey ops and sounds like MacT will not have any say either. So that helps relieve that issue.

TMoore4075 04-24-2015 04:04 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15923483)
One thing's for sure: This offseason will be just as exciting to see where coaches go as it will for players. A lot of big names out there.

I don't remember a year with so many coaching jobs being open or potentially being open.

SirBobalew 04-24-2015 04:11 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15923500)
Lowe has been removed from hockey ops and sounds like MacT will not have any say either. So that helps relieve that issue.

I wonder if there's a chance MacT comes down behind the bench. He's a good coach, and he's gotta be salivating over the opportunity to coach a shiny new Connor McDavid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15923503)
I don't remember a year with so many coaching jobs being open or potentially being open.

Me either. And there's still a chance Boston could open up, as well as Pittsburgh if the Rangers finish the job and they think they have a chance to lure Babcock.

barbogast 04-24-2015 04:20 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
I love that for once the Caps coaching staff isn't in flux

salrx95 04-24-2015 04:28 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15923473)
If Capuano wins this series, he deserves to come back. If he doesn't, I want Bylsma only because Babcock is likely not an option. They need a coaching staff overhaul after not ending the season well and the special teams being a problem for much of the season. We need an upgrade on the bench to take this team to the next level. I respect and like Cappy but I have never thought he was that man. They have spent the money on the players finally. Now they need to do so on the bench.

I have always been a supporter of his. People have wanted him gone for years and he was hired because he was a Garth guy and was cheap and the Isles were all about the cheap for years. Just as many believe Weight is the coach in waiting. The bad PP lately is an indictment on him and the bloom is off that rose for me (not that it was ever in full bloom).

Let be clear. If we can upgrade to Babcock or even Bylsma, I consider that an upgrade to me from Cappy. I wouldn't fire him to make a lateral move or hire an inexperienced guy. We have lost out on our fair share of quality coaches in our hires since firing Lavy, from Coach Q, to Hitchcock, to Hartley mostly because Wang was/is cheap and was running a minimum cost operation.

Although they have sort of fixed the pk some (it was bad for much of the season), the PP has been a problem with no not answer to be found. IT has looked horrendous all series. The team took a step back last year and then a seemingly huge step forward this year until he last month when he couldn't stop the bleeding. I believe in most sports the coach can only do so much and that the players need to perform but I am just not convinced Capuano can take and lead this team to the next step.

SirBobalew 04-24-2015 04:41 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Someone on Twitter nailed it:

Oilers: Here is our new GM.
Everyone: What happened to the old GM?
Oilers: ...Here is our new GM.

Dramageek 04-24-2015 07:21 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Well, that's that.

salrx95 04-24-2015 07:41 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15923539)
I have always been a supporter of his. People have wanted him gone for years and he was hired because he was a Garth guy and was cheap and the Isles were all about the cheap for years. Just as many believe Weight is the coach in waiting. The bad PP lately is an indictment on him and the bloom is off that rose for me (not that it was ever in full bloom).

Let be clear. If we can upgrade to Babcock or even Bylsma, I consider that an upgrade to me from Cappy. I wouldn't fire him to make a lateral move or hire an inexperienced guy. We have lost out on our fair share of quality coaches in our hires since firing Lavy, from Coach Q, to Hitchcock, to Hartley mostly because Wang was/is cheap and was running a minimum cost operation.

Although they have sort of fixed the pk some (it was bad for much of the season), the PP has been a problem with no not answer to be found. IT has looked horrendous all series. The team took a step back last year and then a seemingly huge step forward this year until he last month when he couldn't stop the bleeding. I believe in most sports the coach can only do so much and that the players need to perform but I am just not convinced Capuano can take and lead this team to the next step.

I just saw and realized I had meant to quote Fonzz41 here about my thought process.

Get it done Pens!!

barbogast 04-24-2015 08:04 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Price, Rinne and Dubnyk named Vezina finalists. Obviously Price is gonna win. Pretty dumb to see Dubnyk get nominated.

barbogast 04-24-2015 08:18 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
I know it's Rags/Pens night, but in case anyone isn't aware the Habs are struggling. I've only watched a handful of minutes while I flip between games, but it's been all Senators from what I've seen

dmbetc 04-24-2015 08:31 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
I've realized with these playoffs I'm a "true" Kings fan now. Don't get me wrong, I still love the Rangers but I don't get nearly as excited as I used to and not close to what I felt during the Kings run last year.

mr.MikeD 04-24-2015 08:33 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Man the Oilers could sure use a Vezina candidate goalie like Devan Dubnyk

dmbetc 04-24-2015 08:37 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15923731)
I know it's Rags/Pens night, but in case anyone isn't aware the Habs are struggling. I've only watched a handful of minutes while I flip between games, but it's been all Senators from what I've seen

I'd be so happy if the Sens stole that series.

DMBluedevils 04-24-2015 08:41 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Rangers just need to play so much better if they want to win the cup.

Dramageek 04-24-2015 08:51 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Well there you go Pens, giving me false hope! A tied third period in an elimination game. Should be fun!

Climb2safety 04-24-2015 08:52 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15923751)
I'd be so happy if the Sens stole that series.

I was just going to ask....anyone giving Ottawa a chance come back and win the series?

barbogast 04-24-2015 08:57 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 15923760)
I was just going to ask....anyone giving Ottawa a chance come back and win the series?

It was Becca the other day that predicted it if they win tonight. Beginning to think he might be right.

aeroshady 04-24-2015 09:41 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Next goal either ends Pitts season or sends them home. OT time!

salrx95 04-24-2015 09:47 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
I am working tomorrow until 6 so the Islanders game will likely be over by then. By the time I get home and watch it, it should be after 9. I will be way off the grid until after the game is over.

So basically, whatever happens, I am not off hiding, avoiding this thread or rejoicing or whatever. Well, hopefully rejoicing. I will check in late tomorrow night after I watch it.

Dramageek 04-24-2015 09:52 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Overtime in an elimination game. Should be even more fun!

Dramageek 04-24-2015 09:53 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
It's supposed to be 62 and sunny on Sunday, a fine Spring day in Pittsburgh. Very welcoming for the Rags should they come to visit.

SirBobalew 04-24-2015 09:55 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 15923792)
Overtime in an elimination game. Should be even more fun!

Anyone doing the #bucciovertimechallenge? I wanted to take Sutter but Bucci did and I pick differently from him. I'm going Hornqvist and St. Louis.

Climb2safety 04-24-2015 09:56 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
:: buckles seatbelt ::

Climb2safety 04-24-2015 10:11 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Great play by the Pittsburg defenseman squaring up like that

daveshookme 04-24-2015 10:13 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Shit MSG is so loud tonight.

Dramageek 04-24-2015 10:16 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 15923798)
Anyone doing the #bucciovertimechallenge? I wanted to take Sutter but Bucci did and I pick differently from him. I'm going Hornqvist and St. Louis.

Alas, it was neither. You still have a solid team, Pens! Figure your shit out this offseason and come out swinging next year!

bradshaw06 04-24-2015 10:20 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Damn. Great job rangers.

Proud of the pens battle, especially after the last few playoffs. Maf was great.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster. The rest is owned by antsmarching.org.