Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Album Coming in One Week! (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354555)

hopewelljones 09-13-2022 07:11 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 18265272)
Rotisserie chicken?

that’s it, thank you.

kevinmavs 09-13-2022 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darbini (Post 18265240)
This thread can’t be saved, and should probably be deleted

No way bro, we're going for 1000

RSSR 09-13-2022 08:55 PM

DMB is waiting for this thread to reach 1000 before releasing the new album.

hopewelljones 09-13-2022 09:43 PM

This thread fuckin rocks I hope the album never comes out

Dagwin 09-14-2022 05:06 AM

I hope DMB breaks up, and Carter joins a band that puts out new albums.

ExistenceNow 09-14-2022 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darbini (Post 18265240)
This thread can’t be saved, and should probably be deleted

But then where would you get all the non-existent album news???

theflower 09-14-2022 06:01 AM

what you guys want to argue about today?

Dagwin 09-14-2022 06:06 AM

Maybe Dave meant trashbag when he said the album's in the bag?

Alpine416 09-14-2022 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopewelljones (Post 18265183)
omg now you’re comparing a DMB album release to a natural disaster?!

Get a gripppp dude holy fuck. No official announcement has EVER been made. Sorry that you’re glued to Dave’s every move. Maybe just let it go and you’ll feel better.

BuT hE sAiD iT wAs DoOoNe :lorraine

You don't really get how analogies work do you?

kelchlsm 09-14-2022 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine416 (Post 18264386)
Eh debatable. Any major touring act is probably a major touring act because they already had their big album or two of music that they hit it big with. People come to see those songs and have the same effect of "bathroom songs" when a band announces they are going to play a new one.

The comparison comes when it is brought up "oh look they were having issues with the label", then the band themselves says its pretty much done and "in the bag" and yet they can't get it out the door. You look at any other band out there and clearly they have it figured out where DMB does not. At that point it becomes hard to come to any other conclusion other than incompetence on DMBs part.

The bolded is simply not true, this stuff happens all the time.

Heres a pretty extensive list of bands (big names) scrapping albums:

https://www.stereogum.com/2004872/lo...ts/album-list/

the above article/ link also states:
When it comes to a “shelved” album, the cause is almost always some kind of label or industry machinations — they receive the would-be Next Big Statement from a major artist and then recoil at the lack of singles, lament its lack of commercial viability, or even find it artistically misguided and request a re-do.

Heres another list of artists scrapping albums:

https://popcrush.com/scrapped-pop-albums/

Youre acting like DMB is the sole reason for all the world's problems on this thread because they havent released an album for you in a timely matter. Take a deep breath, im sure we'll get there at some point

stlbluespower 09-14-2022 07:03 AM

Are we all still being measured and rationale today?

Alpine416 09-14-2022 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelchlsm (Post 18265384)
The bolded is simply not true, this stuff happens all the time.

Heres a pretty extensive list of bands (big names) scrapping albums:

https://www.stereogum.com/2004872/lo...ts/album-list/

the above article/ link also states:
When it comes to a “shelved” album, the cause is almost always some kind of label or industry machinations — they receive the would-be Next Big Statement from a major artist and then recoil at the lack of singles, lament its lack of commercial viability, or even find it artistically misguided and request a re-do.

Heres another list of artists scrapping albums:

https://popcrush.com/scrapped-pop-albums/

Youre acting like DMB is the sole reason for all the world's problems on this thread because they havent released an album for you in a timely matter. Take a deep breath, im sure we'll get there at some point

I have no doubt it happens all the time and never said it didn't. I said other artists figure it out to the end that they get actual music out there. Looking over some of those artists in those articles they had a scrapped project but still turned around and had other new music out within a few years (the time DMB has been floundering on this work).

Plus I am sure many of those artists have something like that happen and take steps to make sure it doesn't happen again. Most of DMBs studio work drags on in extended periods of botchery and have leaked shelved studio efforts more popular than the actual products they officially put out. DMB is a habitual offender of studio botchery where for many artists is probably a one off issue.

You added a lot to my points of what I am saying. It is not the end of the world by any means but they do in fact suck at this. My arguments have always been along the nature of "yeah when an album comes out cool I obviously want to check it out, but lets call a spade a spade when it comes to their studio effort and how they have handled this release" I really don't think it should be that controversial but I think some think if they make enough excuses for Dave they will get backstage passes or something.

kelchlsm 09-14-2022 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine416 (Post 18265401)
I have no doubt it happens all the time and never said it didn't. I said other artists figure it out to the end that they get actual music out there. Looking over some of those artists in those articles they had a scrapped project but still turned around and had other new music out within a few years (the time DMB has been floundering on this work).

Plus I am sure many of those artists have something like that happen and take steps to make sure it doesn't happen again. Most of DMBs studio work drags on in extended periods of botchery and have leaked shelved studio
efforts more popular than the actual products they officially put out. DMB is a habitual offender of studio botchery where for many artists is probably a one off issue.

You added a lot to my points of what I am saying. It is not the end of the world by any means but they do in fact suck at this. My arguments have always been along the nature of "yeah when an album comes out cool I obviously want to check it out, but lets call a spade a spade when it comes to their studio effort and how they have handled this release" I really don't think it should be that controversial but I think some think if they make enough excuses for Dave they will get backstage passes or something.

its just not exclusive to dmb at all, which is what you make it seem

every single artist has recording sessions and songs that never see the light of day and get shelved throughout their career.

Springsteen had a scrapped an album in 70s, 80s and 90s, so much for "turning it around and never letting it happen again." as you point out. And hes a bigger name/ tour than DMB

Theres a reason why all these bands have Unreleased/ Vault albums later on in their career because they went in a studio and shelved/ scrapped these songs

Alpine416 09-14-2022 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelchlsm (Post 18265413)
its just not exclusive to dmb at all, which is what you make it seem

every single artist has recording sessions and songs that never see the light of day and get shelved throughout their career.

Springsteen had a scrapped an album in 70s, 80s and 90s, so much for "turning it around and never letting it happen again." as you point out. And hes a bigger name/ tour than DMB

Theres a reason why all these bands have Unreleased/ Vault albums later on in their career because they went in a studio and shelved/ scrapped these songs

Still missing the point... I am not saying it is exclusive to DMB at all. Other artists despite having something get scrapped still manage to get something out on reasonable and clear timelines where DMB fails time and time again. Sure they have shelved stuff but other artists can have something scrapped, turn around and produce a new quality product in the time it takes for DMB to meddle around and release mediocre Frankenstein albums like Come Tomorrow.

kelchlsm 09-14-2022 07:51 AM

heres an article of bono saying they scrapped several albums in 5 years

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifest...-30643788.html

that seems pretty habitual just like dmb if you ask me

kelchlsm 09-14-2022 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine416 (Post 18265415)
Still missing the point... I am not saying it is exclusive to DMB at all. Other artists despite having something get scrapped still manage to get something out on reasonable and clear timelines where DMB fails time and time again. Sure they have shelved stuff but other artists can have something scrapped, turn around and produce a new quality product in the time it takes for DMB to meddle around and release mediocre Frankenstein albums like Come Tomorrow.

peter gabriel doesnt seem timely at all

Gabriel apparently exited the ’90s with over a hundred songs he was whittling down to a few albums. As the years have yawned on, Gabriel’s changed his story about I/O — back in 2012, he was saying it was really a collection of unfinished song ideas. Who knows the state of I/O or any other prospective Gabriel release at this point. In recent years he’s made comments about having an album close to completion, or new songs nearly ready to see the light of day. For now, I/O remains lost, and it’s closing in on two decades since Gabriel’s released an album of original material.

kelchlsm 09-14-2022 08:07 AM

https://community.pearljam.com/discu...ved-2018-album

according to this thread pearl jam had recording sessions in 2018 that they shelved, and released their new album in 2020 (7 years after their previous one)

that doesnt seem timely at all to me, kinda like dmb

Alpine416 09-14-2022 08:09 AM

I don't know how to tell you this but other artists also being bad at album release doesn't mean it is okay for DMB. Not even saying making new music HAS to be part of what an artist does but if you are going to talk about making new music and how you are going to put new music out there ya gotta deliver at some point. Plus if you do say you are going to get something out there and something goes wrong or you just want to make some changes: record a short video for social media, put a statement on your website, send an email... literally so many ways to engage with the fans and let them know what's going on that take little to no effort.

arizza11 09-14-2022 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine416 (Post 18265424)
I don't know how to tell you this but other artists also being bad at album release doesn't mean it is okay for DMB. Not even saying making new music HAS to be part of what an artist does but if you are going to talk about making new music and how you are going to put new music out there ya gotta deliver at some point. Plus if you do say you are going to get something out there and something goes wrong or you just want to make some changes: record a short video for social media, put a statement on your website, send an email... literally so many ways to engage with the fans and let them know what's going on that take little to no effort.

Completely agree. And wish they would. So sick and tired of the same lame social media posts, "What song do you want to hear? #seeyouontheroad". The "leaked" Big Whiskey studio video was so damn cool and exciting. The feedback from that was great too, you'd think they'd do more stuff like that. Especially when the front man of the band is saying new stuff is coming and it's all but done.

kelchlsm 09-14-2022 08:16 AM

So now we’re just moving goal posts and changing the subjects

You originally said every other artist has it figured out besides dmb

I’ve provided some of the biggest names in music where this is a common theme and not just dmb

Now everyone’s bad at releasing music basically

monizzle145 09-14-2022 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine416 (Post 18265424)

The bolded isn't that big of a deal for the majority of the fanbase right now and that's why it's not necessary. If there was widespread pressure from critics and the majority of the fanbase then they should absolutely make a statement but that isn't the case.

There are more comments on social media about a BTCS remaster or "why didn't you make a tour date in my city" backlash than the 1 or 2 "release the new album comments".

Contrast this to some of the pop and hip hop acts I have observed have fans who literally have entire movements on comment sections about an artist releasing an album. I have seen a rap fan literally threatening a rapper to release an album or else lol.

You have every right to be upset about there being no album but there just isn't enough backlash from the entire fanbase for the band to need to make a statement. Especially if 3 weeks from now they actually are going to announce an album lol. Again, we still don't know what September/October will be as far as album rollout/announcements.

theflower 09-14-2022 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monizzle145 (Post 18265439)
The bolded isn't that big of a deal for the majority of the fanbase right now and that's why it's not necessary. If there was widespread pressure from critics and the majority of the fanbase then they should absolutely make a statement but that isn't the case.

There are more comments on social media about a BTCS remaster or "why didn't you make a tour date in my city" backlash than the 1 or 2 "release the new album comments".

Contrast this to some of the pop and hip hop acts I have observed have fans who literally have entire movements on comment sections about an artist releasing an album. I have seen a rap fan literally threatening a rapper to release an album or else lol.

You have every right to be upset about there being no album but there just isn't enough backlash from the entire fanbase for the band to need to make a statement. Especially if 3 weeks from now they actually are going to announce an album lol. Again, we still don't know what September/October will be as far as album rollout/announcements.

the evidence you point to in your first couple paragraphs (majority of fan base doesn't care about new album, critics/music industry aren't pining for a new album, DMB fans are more interest in BTCS vinyl and tour-stops (me included) than new album) points to the conclusion that DMB is mostly just a legacy-touring act which isn't particularly relevant anymore because as you point out in your third paragraph, more current and more popular acts have fanbases demanding new music right now. So if DMB is mostly a legacy touring band, which mostly survives on the inertia of their live act year over year and the tried and true hardcore fans (us) which show up summer after summer and bring our families, etc., doesn't that reality militate towards a marketing footing from the band that is more aware of or responsive to the very people who have supported the band for decades and isn't that mostly what people in here are saying? I mean, i think you're technically correct: pursuant to a binary analysis of when a formal public acknowledgement of the album is warranted in today's day-and-age, we're probably not there yet but alas, i think that's besides the point because as you've pointed out, DMB is largely irrelevant and nobody cares. the market doesn't force their hand and shouldn't. their irrelevance in the pop-culture context is their greatest opportunity for more meaningful and transparent fan-outreach, but it's simply not a priority for the band. That's not to say they haven't done nice things, they have. That's not to say that dave's efforts during covid weren't cool, they were. dmb doesn't owe anyone anything. I'm not losing sleep on news of dmb's new album and i'm legitimately more interested in a BTCS vinyl release. but i do think hardcore fans who have been around for literally decades, have every right in the world to comment on the band's lackluster studio output and relatively bizarre and somewhat impotent marketing strategies.

RainDog1980 09-14-2022 08:48 AM

You know who REALLY sucks at releasing music? Cake. Last studio album was almost 13 years ago, with like two singles in the interim.

kelchlsm 09-14-2022 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflower (Post 18265457)
the evidence you point to in your first couple paragraphs (majority of fan base doesn't care about new album, critics/music industry aren't pining for a new album, DMB fans are more interest in BTCS vinyl and tour-stops (me included) than new album) points to the conclusion that DMB is mostly just a legacy-touring act which isn't particularly relevant anymore because as you point out in your third paragraph, more current and more popular acts have fanbases demanding new music right now. So if DMB is mostly a legacy touring band, which mostly survives on the inertia of their live act year over year and the tried and true hardcore fans (us) which show up summer after summer and bring our families, etc., doesn't that reality militate towards a marketing footing from the band that is more aware of or responsive to the very people who have supported the band for decades and isn't that mostly what people in here are saying? I mean, i think you're technically correct: pursuant to a binary analysis of when a formal public acknowledgement of the album is warranted in today's day-and-age, we're probably not there yet but alas, i think that's besides the point because as you've pointed out, DMB is largely irrelevant and nobody cares. the market doesn't force their hand and shouldn't. their irrelevance in the pop-culture context is their greatest opportunity for more meaningful and transparent fan-outreach, but it's simply not a priority for the band. That's not to say they haven't done nice things, they have. That's not to say that dave's efforts during covid weren't cool, they were. dmb doesn't owe anyone anything. I'm not losing sleep on news of dmb's new album and i'm legitimately more interested in a BTCS vinyl release. but i do think hardcore fans who have been around for literally decades, have every right in the world to comment on the band's lackluster studio output and relatively bizarre and somewhat impotent marketing strategies.

If they’re a live legacy act (they are) what other ways do you suggest them to market an album that hasn’t been officially announced yet other than playing the songs on the unofficially announced album live then?

Isn’t that what you would do if you’re live band?

I get why people would be upset Dave said the album was soon two years ago but other than that I’m not sure what everyone would expect

Alpine416 09-14-2022 09:05 AM

You look at any other band out there and clearly they have it figured out where DMB does not.

Okay fine. Change this to "You look at MANY other band out there and clearly they have it figured out where DMB does not." Many artists release an album every 1-3 years.

Other big artists sucking at it too doesn't mean DMB doesn't suck. Just because fans aren't feverishly posting comments on DMB social media bitching to release an album doesn't mean people aren't thinking about it. So what people should threaten them to release music or else to get them to do something? That is the way to do business in the music industry is push your fan base until they threaten you? :lol

Also we can debate the chicken and the egg on the lack of interest in DMB studio releases and their botchery in ever having a clear release timeframe/communication. Kinda funny how engagement on albums fall off when you don't do anything to engage on that front...

kelchlsm 09-14-2022 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine416 (Post 18265466)
You look at any other band out there and clearly they have it figured out where DMB does not.

Okay fine. Change this to "You look at MANY other band out there and clearly they have it figured out where DMB does not." Many artists release an album every 1-3 years.

Other big artists sucking at it too doesn't mean DMB doesn't suck. Just because fans aren't feverishly posting comments on DMB social media bitching to release an album doesn't mean people aren't thinking about it. So what people should threaten them to release music or else to get them to do something? That is the way to do business in the music industry is push your fan base until they threaten you? :lol

Also we can debate the chicken and the egg on the lack of interest in DMB studio releases and their botchery in ever having a clear release timeframe/communication. Kinda funny how engagement on albums fall off when you don't do anything to engage on that front...

Many other bands are just starting out and are at their peak popularity in doing so release an album in 1-3 years, once upon a time dmb was doing the same

Let’s stick to similar musical demographics here, John Mayer released his latest album after a 4 year span, Mumford Just released one after a 4 year span- and by all accounts if dmb announces an album by year end (They probably will) it will also be 4 years since their last album

grilldanmo 09-14-2022 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelchlsm (Post 18265419)
peter gabriel doesnt seem timely at all

Gabriel apparently exited the ’90s with over a hundred songs he was whittling down to a few albums. As the years have yawned on, Gabriel’s changed his story about I/O — back in 2012, he was saying it was really a collection of unfinished song ideas. Who knows the state of I/O or any other prospective Gabriel release at this point. In recent years he’s made comments about having an album close to completion, or new songs nearly ready to see the light of day. For now, I/O remains lost, and it’s closing in on two decades since Gabriel’s released an album of original material.

I can't remember who it was, but a drummer/percussionist recently said that he worked on Gabriel's latest album that is to be released in 2023 with a tour.

If Peter puts out an album before you do, you're definitely slacking...

Alpine416 09-14-2022 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelchlsm (Post 18265469)
Many other bands are just starting out and are at their peak popularity in doing so release an album in 1-3 years, once upon a time dmb was doing the same

Let’s stick to similar musical demographics here, John Mayer released his latest album after a 4 year span, Mumford Just released one after a 4 year span- and by all accounts if dmb announces an album by year end (They probably will) it will also be 4 years since their last album

Woof yeah those are some longer gaps for those fans to wait. They dropped the ball a bit too it seems. It's funny how you think some list of examples will eventually make me think "oh this is all okay and normal now".

For perspective....

Away from the world (2012) -Come tomorrow (2018) - 6 years
Come Tomorrow (2018) - What Album (????) - 4 years 3 months and counting

They. Suck. At. This.

theflower 09-14-2022 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelchlsm (Post 18265465)
If they’re a live legacy act (they are) what other ways do you suggest them to market an album that hasn’t been officially announced yet other than playing the songs on the unofficially announced album live then?

Isn’t that what you would do if you’re live band?

I get why people would be upset Dave said the album was soon two years ago but other than that I’m not sure what everyone would expect

fair enough point. i was really discussing big dmb approach to fans/marketing but to your question, regarding the new album, just a little more transparency i think would go a long way. they've been talking about a new album for 2 years. throw a bone to your hardcore fanbase who are following the story.

kelchlsm 09-14-2022 09:32 AM

So the biggest names in the music business compared to dmb isn’t a good measuring stick of how things work?

Perhaps you should tamper your ungodly expectations that not all bands that been around decades pumping out new albums every two years is pretty standard vs complaining it doesn’t fit your mold