Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Album Coming in One Week! (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354555)

bowa36 07-24-2021 01:47 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

MME = Make My Everything
WATM = Walk Around the Moon
OATB = Ocean and the Butterfly
TOT = The Only Thing
SFTW = Singing from the Windows
AYWWT = All Your Wishes Were True
RTTF = Run to the Fire
LFAV = Looking for a View

chadizzy1 07-24-2021 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBCardinal (Post 17993470)
It’s in the Sirius thread.

Also as MP3s in the downloads thread:
https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/s...d.php?t=355315

Dannyyankou 07-24-2021 02:19 PM

I hope they stretch out Jeff's solo in OATB

karczews41 07-24-2021 02:21 PM

After a second playthrough today by far my biggest critique is Buddy on that goddamn organ. Even setting aside Everyday which is basically a new song now dominated by it, it's in other songs (e.g., YMDT, WWYS and many others) that just blankets a lot of the other more subtle sounds the band is making. Maybe (and I'm really hoping it is) its just the mix from last night's broadcast but I can't remember a time when I felt one sound basically ruins songs for me. It's a shame.

Cardinal 07-24-2021 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karczews41 (Post 17993577)
After a second playthrough today by far my biggest critique is Buddy on that goddamn organ. Even setting aside Everyday which is basically a new song now dominated by it, it's in other songs (e.g., YMDT, WWYS and many others) that just blankets a lot of the other more subtle sounds the band is making. Maybe (and I'm really hoping it is) its just the mix from last night's broadcast but I can't remember a time when I felt one sound basically ruins songs for me. It's a shame.

It’s the mix.

ToySoldier#34 07-24-2021 03:17 PM

The Sirius mix is bad

Blue, red, good colors, cool tune

stlbluespower 07-24-2021 03:22 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't go this far, but am not a fan of the organ at all. Piano keys, please.

OutofDarkness 07-24-2021 03:40 PM

Quote:

IMO the problem isn't the organ itself, but the registration Buddy uses. His go-to is a thin, jangly sound that suits rockers like Bayou, but is really out of place on mellower numbers like LIOG and DYR.

bowa36 07-24-2021 03:43 PM

Starting to think that this new album is going to be Come Tomorrow 2.0 , not sure why I expected otherwise. I truly feel like they're just not capable of writing good songs anymore.

stlbluespower 07-24-2021 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowa36 (Post 17993563)
MME = Make My Everything
WATM = Walk Around the Moon
OATB = Ocean and the Butterfly
TOT = The Only Thing
SFTW = Singing from the Windows
AYWWT = All Your Wishes Were True
RTTF = Run to the Fire
LFAV = Looking for a View

If made up, good job. Sound plausible to me.

seanbrutus 07-24-2021 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowa36 (Post 17993617)
Starting to think that this new album is going to be Come Tomorrow 2.0 , not sure why I expected otherwise. I truly feel like they're just not capable of writing good songs anymore.

I liked CT, and I thought yesterday’s new songs were miles better than the ones on CT.

DMBCardinal 07-24-2021 03:56 PM

I think they are 2 for 3 on good new songs. SFTW is decent. I really like the other two. Jeff is a big part of both which is encouraging to me. He was barely used on CT.

stlbluespower 07-24-2021 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBCardinal (Post 17993628)
I think they are 2 for 3 on good new songs. SFTW is decent. I really like the other two. Jeff is a big part of both which is encouraging to me. He was barely used on CT.

Kind of agree here. SFTW is pretty enough, just hope it doesn't make the album cut. Maybe bonus disc.

bowa36 07-24-2021 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlbluespower (Post 17993624)
If made up, good job. Sound plausible to me.

thanks they're made up

bibby1044 07-24-2021 04:50 PM

Wasn’t a huge fan of windows but I get jt after hearing it live over Sirius last night. It’s good. If we didn’t feel like we get so much Dave solo material the last few years I think it would be more successsful among us.

scollie41 07-24-2021 06:19 PM

In Charlotte and WATM is legit good. They were feeling it and the sound mix was better tonight. Really interested to hear a studio version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grilldanmo 07-24-2021 06:33 PM

We were listening to the show again on the way to upstate NY from Northern VA today. Seeing my wife’s mom for the first time since x-mas 2019.

Listened to WATM three times...that song is awesome. I was picking up my son from work last night, so was only hearing it the first time through the phone, but even then it grabbed me...this is a gem of a DMB tune. Just makes me more eager to hear all of the new stuff. Dave’s voice was finding itself again last night. 41 started a little rough, but he settled in nicely, immediately after which he hit Granny out of the park. Grey street started a little shaky too, but again he settled. First show, lots of adrenaline pumping I’m sure. Looking forward to our prolly adding VA Beach too...

jhinds76 07-24-2021 07:02 PM

Is a partial CT a tease or is it a close call?

resumesomething 07-24-2021 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhinds76 (Post 17994031)
Is a partial CT a tease or is it a close call?

Haha. I saw that on the almanac. A CT tease. It should be called a threat.

JboDaveGuyYNK 07-24-2021 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by resumesomething (Post 17994163)
Haha. I saw that on the almanac. A CT tease. It should be called a threat.

I don't dislike CT as much of you guys- but this was good lol

kenticus 07-24-2021 08:12 PM

So sweet up and down got played tonight? Are we gonna go out on a crazy limb and ask if somehow someway they decide that this album is the time they finally decide to do a studio release of it? Or just they’re vibing playing it live?

8nalive 07-24-2021 08:49 PM

I'm straight angry they didn't play The Ocean and the Butterfly tonight. I appreciate that song

theflower 07-24-2021 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8nalive (Post 17994213)
I'm straight angry they didn't play The Ocean and the Butterfly tonight. I appreciate that song

Ha. I Like it too. Love how the band version is slowed down and jazzed out.

8nalive 07-24-2021 09:16 PM

Very cool

dontburnthe_pig 07-25-2021 02:04 AM

Haven't listened to Walk Around the Moon yet and will try hard not to until the album is released. Since I've heard Ocean and the Butterfly, I gave it a listen and thought it could be a really interesting studio track. I loved the horns at the beginning and at the end, and think in a studio setting the song might sound like it has more structure.

dmbcriggidy 07-25-2021 04:33 AM

Two days in and still really digging WATM. Looking forward to catching it live this summer and the studio version in the near future.

bibby1044 07-25-2021 06:24 AM

The straight on video shot on YouTube actually made WATM sound much better than the pit side angle video. It’s a solid song especially if it’s taking one of the single spots on the album.

dmbfan101 07-25-2021 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbrk11 (Post 17990330)
I’ll tell you exactly what they’ll say, absolutely nothing. Dave will come to the mic in the 3-4 slot Friday and say “we’ve been uh, enjoying some time together and uh, making some noise and uh, hope we get it right for y’all tonight.” And Shazam a new song is played. That song will be played every night until the single is released. I just don’t understand how they can not inform the fan base the actual motherfucking fact that they have recorded an album and a single will be released on date ___ less than 48 hours before the start of the tour.

*insert dicaprio raising his glass meme here*

K270 07-25-2021 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bibby1044 (Post 17994341)
The straight on video shot on YouTube actually made WATM sound much better than the pit side angle video. It’s a solid song especially if it’s taking one of the single spots on the album.

Where can this video be found please?

bibby1044 07-25-2021 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K270 (Post 17994353)
Where can this video be found please?

https://youtu.be/HUcgyAJoPms

Still not great audio but it sounds more balanced to me because he was further away.

Copperpot will likely have a vid up real soon since he posted a 2 minute clip on Twitter already.