Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Album Coming in One Week! (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354555)

KevinTH 10-29-2020 07:15 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17816262)
Excited to hear new music from SRB!

I just love the mood changes and contrast between the verses and the chorus, seems like the chorus lyrics are pretty much the same as they've always been iirc.

Hoping for next spring! Not that we’ll be able to play any shows to support it...

Don’t get me wrong, I love Kill the King. In 06, that was second behind Idea of You on my list of favorites. But the lyrics he has written are so trite and don’t feel sincere to me. There isn’t a good lyrical flow. Badass riff with a great chorus and bridge. And Carter...

ToySoldier#34 10-29-2020 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinTH (Post 17816277)
Hoping for next spring! Not that we’ll be able to play any shows to support it...

Don’t get me wrong, I love Kill the King. In 06, that was second behind Idea of You on my list of favorites. But the lyrics he has written are so trite and don’t feel sincere to me. There isn’t a good lyrical flow. Badass riff with a great chorus and bridge. And Carter...

Nice that'll be something to look forward to, I've actually got something coming out around the same time, was in the studio in Boston tonight

I can see your viewpoint, and yeah it's great musically :thumbsup

crounsa810 10-29-2020 07:24 PM

It is exciting to know new music is in the pipeline, but I think it's important that we all remember that last time Dave and Rob Evans were alone in a room together making music, the end result was "That Girl is You."

Tomacco 10-29-2020 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crounsa810 (Post 17816282)
It is exciting to know new music is in the pipeline, but I think it's important that we all remember that last time Dave and Rob Evans were alone in a room together making music, the end result was "That Girl is You."

Alone yeah, but the band was never brought in to work on that song.
In this case they were. A better example is “She” which was produced by Rob Evans and has the full band.

ElijahSoRight72 10-29-2020 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomacco (Post 17816325)
Alone yeah, but the band was never brought in to work on that song.
In this case they were. A better example is “She” which was produced by Rob Evans and has the full band.

She was Batson with Alagia. TGIY was the only song solo produced by Evans, he also has a credit on Do You Remember.

Tomacco 10-30-2020 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElijahSoRight72 (Post 17816338)
She was Batson with Alagia. TGIY was the only song solo produced by Evans, he also has a credit on Do You Remember.

Oh maybe I was mixing up She and DYR.

theflower 10-30-2020 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElijahSoRight72 (Post 17816274)
The big loss to me was a scrapped second Cavallo album. I feel like the Cavallo tracks (Sam Cop, VITR, B&BB, A&A, Here On Out) were the best songs on the album but they definitely didn't feel complete. Bismarck and Death on the High Seas were part of those sessions too. And I would have like to have heard the studio version of Be Yourself too. But that's what really slowed the process down. It was reported that Dave was working with Cavallo again in Nov. 2013, but scrapping an album always adds years to the gap between albums.

There is NO WAY this album will be worse than CT. My guess from what we've heard is it's produced by Rob Evans and only Rob Evans, all in a single session with new songs. That alone will make it worlds better than CT.

i totally agree with the last paragraph. I just want something cohesive, even if the songs don't necessarily stand out on their own. i just want to feel the vibe or a theme or something consistent from start to finish.... im hoping to appreciate the arc of the album - beginning, middle, end.

Dannyyankou 10-30-2020 09:14 AM

I couldn’t help but notice from Dave’s CNN interview yesterday that he’s back in Seattle. That’s a good sign I think.

grilldanmo 10-30-2020 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyyankou (Post 17816680)
I couldn’t help but notice from Dave’s CNN interview yesterday that he’s back in Seattle. That’s a good sign I think.

My wife picked that up immediately as well.

Genuinely asking, what about it are you thinking is a good sign?

There is no wrong answer.

Aforauer 10-30-2020 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 17816715)

I assume it’s a good sign that maybe this means the recording in VA is done (as others have hinted at). So maybe the mixing is all that’s left. I’m sure he can record if needed in Seattle though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dannyyankou 10-30-2020 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 17816715)

Maybe the recording sessions in C-Ville are done.

cmyers2 10-30-2020 10:24 AM

I also think John Alagia is involved in this project in some capacity. Rockbridge Guitars posted an Instagram video back in September with Dave and John sitting side by side, so they were in CVille together while these sessions were happening.

dontdrink36 10-30-2020 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyyankou (Post 17816729)
Maybe the recording sessions in C-Ville are done.

I think this is basically confirmed by Dave. He said in a zoom interview that he and Carter celebrated being done recording.

grilldanmo 10-30-2020 11:12 AM

Also, we loved Come Tomorrow as an album. Obviously the general appreciation thereof is about liking OR not liking the songs. We continue to enjoy album which is not something we ever did with Everyday and Stand Up. Pretty much none of ED and SU works for us live either...we just don't like the tunes.

While I understand what folks are saying, I'm not concerned with the variety of producers and the different sounds or their styles. There was no secret of this going into the CT sessions, so it's not only unsurprising, it should have 100% been expected. Further, an album is just a collection of songs. If they ever dip into the archives and release those songs that they've fully recorded without releasing official studio versions, it will also have a different sound and feel from track to track. CT is a potential indicator that should they release older material, they may finish it up with the folks that they used starting the process. So it's as likely as not that we'll eventually hear another album like CT. It's not unlike listening to greatest hits or any other sort of compilation albums...different sounds from different eras.

As has been stated in myriad threads, many here really only briefly visit the studio albums from time to time while primarily focusing their DMB listening on live albums/versions of songs. Many have stated, and I agree, that some songs sound better live than in the studio and that there are some near definitive "best versions" of those live performances. But as someone that has spent 60% or more of their DMB/D&F listening time with the studio albums, I have zero issue with the differences in sound or flow from track to track on CT. As such, I'd welcome a "part 2" with the reservation being the right to be disappointed if I don't like the tunes or the versions they officially release. That said, I love the idea of a record of completely new tunes written during the quarantine. And it's not about the quarantine, but instead about them creating new music during some downtime and hopefully releasing it sooner than later.

I'm still looking forward to hearing whatever it is they release and hoping it warrants repeat listenings with songs that I want to hear live. AND that one of those songs replaces Bayou at any show I attend in the future.

grilldanmo 10-30-2020 11:14 AM

Dave definitely stated several times that the recording in C-Ville was done. He's back in Seattle, I think all indications are the Fonz is back in CA, Jeff's in TN, etc.

There's definitely not been anything to stop from working remotely for years and years now, although I completely understand the preference to play together with other people live.

KevinTH 10-30-2020 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomacco (Post 17816445)

I was thinking the same thing as you, but while Evans may not have produced She, Dave credited him with coming up with the main guitar riff. So he was involved with that tune to a degree. It’s a kick ass tune as well.

BruceW 10-30-2020 01:20 PM

Him being in Seattle matches up perfectly

cmyers2 10-30-2020 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinTH (Post 17816828)
I was thinking the same thing as you, but while Evans may not have produced She, Dave credited him with coming up with the main guitar riff. So he was involved with that tune to a degree. It’s a kick ass tune as well.

I remember seeing that video of the making of She, and it was definitely John Alagia who wrote the main guitar riff, I think Alagia is involved in this album as well, see my post a few back in this thread

Tom Brady 10-30-2020 04:36 PM

I wonder if they added a strings section to this album....

Cptn. Monkeyman 10-30-2020 05:47 PM

Alagia has been involved with lots of their work dating all the way back to Remember Two Things. His involvement would not surprise me one bit, I mean that in a good way. Also, yeah it was definitely Alagia who came up with the guitar riff for She. Really solid riff.

crushme5 10-30-2020 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17816865)
Him being in Seattle matches up perfectly

Why is that? Is he doing some final recordings there?

GoingToCA91 10-31-2020 08:24 AM

Oh shit, this was a helluva backread last night. I'm excited!

dontburnthe_pig 10-31-2020 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmyers2 (Post 17816756)
I also think John Alagia is involved in this project in some capacity. Rockbridge Guitars posted an Instagram video back in September with Dave and John sitting side by side, so they were in CVille together while these sessions were happening.

Was this picture removed? I couldn’t find it now but I do remember seeing a photo of the two of them. I think that was from the recording of Away From the World though. I could be wrong because it wouldn’t surprise me if Alagia is around given his relationship to the band.

groogrux27 10-31-2020 09:08 AM

man, i freaking love it when we get little tidbits of info, haven't been on here for awhile, but i love coming back and reading all this!

YankeesDMB41 10-31-2020 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomacco (Post 17816445)

It's an easy mistake...the album did have 34 producers

alec 10-31-2020 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontburnthe_pig (Post 17817166)
Was this picture removed? I couldn’t find it now but I do remember seeing a photo of the two of them. I think that was from the recording of Away From the World though. I could be wrong because it wouldn’t surprise me if Alagia is around given his relationship to the band.

It’s a video where Dave is announcing the Rockbridge songwriter contest. Dave, John, and Brian Calhoun are all on a couch together.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGAol8CJ...d=1glixn214onq

YankeesDMB41 10-31-2020 09:45 AM

Come Tomorrow reminded me of one of those boring projects I could give to my 4th graders asking them to cut out things from different magazines that describe themselves and paste it on a piece of paper.

seanbrutus 10-31-2020 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 17816773)
Also, we loved Come Tomorrow as an album. Obviously the general appreciation thereof is about liking OR not liking the songs. We continue to enjoy album which is not something we ever did with Everyday and Stand Up. Pretty much none of ED and SU works for us live either...we just don't like the tunes.

While I understand what folks are saying, I'm not concerned with the variety of producers and the different sounds or their styles. There was no secret of this going into the CT sessions, so it's not only unsurprising, it should have 100% been expected. Further, an album is just a collection of songs. If they ever dip into the archives and release those songs that they've fully recorded without releasing official studio versions, it will also have a different sound and feel from track to track. CT is a potential indicator that should they release older material, they may finish it up with the folks that they used starting the process. So it's as likely as not that we'll eventually hear another album like CT. It's not unlike listening to greatest hits or any other sort of compilation albums...different sounds from different eras.

As has been stated in myriad threads, many here really only briefly visit the studio albums from time to time while primarily focusing their DMB listening on live albums/versions of songs. Many have stated, and I agree, that some songs sound better live than in the studio and that there are some near definitive "best versions" of those live performances. But as someone that has spent 60% or more of their DMB/D&F listening time with the studio albums, I have zero issue with the differences in sound or flow from track to track on CT. As such, I'd welcome a "part 2" with the reservation being the right to be disappointed if I don't like the tunes or the versions they officially release. That said, I love the idea of a record of completely new tunes written during the quarantine. And it's not about the quarantine, but instead about them creating new music during some downtime and hopefully releasing it sooner than later.

I'm still looking forward to hearing whatever it is they release and hoping it warrants repeat listenings with songs that I want to hear live. AND that one of those songs replaces Bayou at any show I attend in the future.

I agree with all of this. Maybe less so on the ED tunes, but yea I loved Come Tomorrow, especially when I switched out the versions of the title track. IMO, it's a very solid and fun listen. Not their best by any stretch but quite lovely when it wants to be.

That being said, like you I am very excited for a new album from the band all recorded together. I think it could be some very powerful stuff.

dontdrink36 10-31-2020 03:09 PM

I hope that if there are political themes and overtones in the lyrics that they are artistic and poetic instead of just straight up direct talking points.

Songs like Raven would be awesome. Songs like Come Tomorrow would be tragic.

ToySoldier#34 10-31-2020 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17817394)
I hope that if there are political themes and overtones in the lyrics that they are artistic and poetic instead of just straight up direct talking points.

Songs like Raven would be awesome. Songs like Come Tomorrow would be tragic.

It's kind of hard to get songs directly about fracking and the Green New Deal to work but I don't know maybe he'll try