Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=348306)

Chumlee67 05-31-2019 12:26 PM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 (Post 17461226)
I'm not a radio guy in general, so maybe the appeal is lost on me, but I really don't understand why people who own everything this band has ever released are complaining about the rotation of that material on a radio station. Wouldn't it be easier to shuffle your DMB library on Itunes or something?

And it seems the biggest complaint is that they are playing too often the one exclusive show that isn't a part of your personal collection?

This argument pissed me off. I'm sorry I'm going to use you as an example for multiple people who have said this or something like this.

Wouldn't it be easier/better for you to shuffle your own shit?

Yes, sure it would be.

But that's unrealistic. First you would have to spend a crazy amount of money to have all those song at your disposal.

But wouldn't you accumulate it over time or use tapes?

Sure.

But the next problem is how to take it on the go, CD players in cars hold tops 6 CDs and you can only hold so much music on your device.

Ok, but then use something like Spotify or Google Play.

Sure.

Are you paying for all the data I am going to go through doing that? Sure I can download them to my device, but hey that only has so much storage again.

The point here is that this is a paid service that most cars have access to or you can listen online to at home or work. It's a hell of a lot cheaper to spend money on a sirius channel that has access to everything they've released than spending money on Apple Music, Spotify or actually buying the bands catalog to. Yes its great to listen to a show that is unreleased, but nobody is going to have it on long when from day to day its the same (or close to the same) shuffled songs. The library they could chose from is so deep that they could not repeat a song for the entire run of the channel (probably, idk you get the point).

richvisser23 05-31-2019 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmwm3oz (Post 17461257)
This can be summed as

- Some people are okay with anything and everything. (dmb fam with Euro '19 setlists for example)

- Some people think there is room for improvement with anything and everything.

I'd much rather be in the category of the latter. Hilly is in the first category. Move on.. this back & forth is making anyone reading it dumber.

I'll be the better man and take a knee. It's crazy how stupidity is contagious.

MOWJO8185 05-31-2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chumlee67 (Post 17461259)
This argument pissed me off. I'm sorry I'm going to use you as an example for multiple people who have said this or something like this.

Wouldn't it be easier/better for you to shuffle your own shit?

Yes, sure it would be.

But that's unrealistic. First you would have to spend a crazy amount of money to have all those song at your disposal.

But wouldn't you accumulate it over time or use tapes?

Sure.

But the next problem is how to take it on the go, CD players in cars hold tops 6 CDs and you can only hold so much music on your device.

Ok, but then use something like Spotify or Google Play.

Sure.

Are you paying for all the data I am going to go through doing that? Sure I can download them to my device, but hey that only has so much storage again.

The point here is that this is a paid service that most cars have access to or you can listen online to at home or work. It's a hell of a lot cheaper to spend money on a sirius channel that has access to everything they've released than spending money on Apple Music, Spotify or actually buying the bands catalog to. Yes its great to listen to a show that is unreleased, but nobody is going to have it on long when from day to day its the same (or close to the same) shuffled songs. The library they could chose from is so deep that they could not repeat a song for the entire run of the channel (probably, idk you get the point).

I guess I'd expect less variety from something that costs a fraction of those other options.

Let's go Blues!

Cscottrun 05-31-2019 12:38 PM

So we get to hear the Amsterdam JTR tonight? Nice.

Gravedigger789 05-31-2019 12:39 PM

TurboPGT gonna rip these again?

Hilly 05-31-2019 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger789 (Post 17461250)
Holy shit, Hilly. Wait till WH hears about all this commotion coming from you. The schmedium pay may be reduced to no pay.

Nice. With all the laughs "schmedium pay" got in the other thread, smart move carrying it over here. Playing the hits. Perhaps there's some kinda schmedium/lobbying collaboration you two could work on.

Hilly 05-31-2019 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richvisser23 (Post 17461266)
I'll be the better man and take a knee. It's crazy how stupidity is contagious.

To be honest, I thought the line "if you were dying in the lobby of a hospital with an incurable disease and no hope, you still have antsmarching.com/forum" was you taking the knee.

Hilly 05-31-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17461278)
So we get to hear the Amsterdam JTR tonight? Nice.

Not just tonight, BUT EVERY NIGHT!

richvisser23 05-31-2019 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilly (Post 17461296)
To be honest, I thought the line "if you were dying in the lobby of a hospital with an incurable disease and no hope, you still have antsmarching.com/forum" was you taking the knee.

merely an attempt to communicate with the said troll. my idea was talk stupid... reach stupid. sorry I failed you. still working on my dialect.

timos25 05-31-2019 01:44 PM

I am enjoying having it back on Sirius. Have paid for Sirius for 6 years and this channel is just a bonus for me. Long commute.

But I did hear a segment this morning with Buddy and RR discussing live Jimi Thing and they played the studio version right after. Would love for little details like that to get cleaned up. Not that I need to hear more live Jimi Thing :D

Jackstraw343 05-31-2019 01:57 PM

There is an abuse of power on these boards. I made several attempts at starting new threads on the nonDMB room, and they were all blocked simply because the admin doesn't like me. This is in direct disregard to my freedom of speech and I have not broken any rules of the boards. I have said nothing offensive nor did I post the threads in the wrong place. Please remove the admin from these boards.

dmbnut21 05-31-2019 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackstraw343 (Post 17461344)
There is an abuse of power on these boards. I made several attempts at starting new threads on the nonDMB room, and they were all blocked simply because the admin doesn't like me. This is in direct disregard to my freedom of speech and I have not broken any rules of the boards. I have said nothing offensive nor did I post the threads in the wrong place. Please remove the admin from these boards.

:lol :lol K.

Dannyyankou 05-31-2019 02:36 PM

Quote:

I love when people pull out the First Amendment card to justify breaking forum rules. I don't even know what this is all about, but I assume your threads were removed for a reason.

TheLastPig 05-31-2019 03:44 PM

Got another Düsseldorf song on my way home. But RR 05 Halloween came on after which was nice

TheLastPig 05-31-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Dude if you make a bunch of nonsense threads they’re gonna get locked. If you just want a thread to BS chat they already exist, just search for them.

The Ship thread especially will welcome your fart questions.

ForkInFork 05-31-2019 04:40 PM

I'm actually with Hilly on this one, I think you guys are over-reacting a bit. But to each their own.

Also, looking at the world as binary is simply wrong. "Only a sith deals in absolutes" - George Washington

Unedited 05-31-2019 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForkInFork (Post 17461439)
I'm actually with Hilly on this one, I think you guys are over-reacting a bit. But to each their own.

Also, looking at the world as binary is simply wrong. "Only a sith deals in absolutes" - George Washington

Agreed.

Could DMB Radio be better? Sure.
Do I actually care? Not really.

I've been a SiriusXM subscriber for 9 years. The variety and new music on channels like Spectrum, SiriusXM & Alt Nation make it worth it.

Having a DMB with UNRELEASED concerts every Friday night is an incredible bonus

flames_theman 05-31-2019 05:49 PM

Amsterdam quality is good. Much better than Düsseldorf. Band sounds great too!

flames_theman 05-31-2019 05:59 PM

Still the annoying Ari commentary but this time with a Dave interview sprinkled in too.

rwm1515 05-31-2019 06:16 PM

:thumbsup
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unedited (Post 17461454)
Agreed.

Could DMB Radio be better? Sure.
Do I actually care? Not really.

I've been a SiriusXM subscriber for 9 years. The variety and new music on channels like Spectrum, SiriusXM & Alt Nation make it worth it.

Having a DMB with UNRELEASED concerts every Friday night is an incredible bonus

:thumbsup My feeling as well. Yes, could be better but it's a bonus since already a subscriber since 2005. I enjoy those other channels Spectrum, JamON etc. I'll just switch the channel to take a break. Definitely looking forward to the Friday night shows.

ToySoldier#34 05-31-2019 06:20 PM

Checking out the show for a minute, I like this LLD

finksta 05-31-2019 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwm1515 (Post 17461464)
:thumbsup

:thumbsup My feeling as well. Yes, could be better but it's a bonus since already a subscriber since 2005. I enjoy those other channels Spectrum, JamON etc. I'll just switch the channel to take a break. Definitely looking forward to the Friday night shows.

This.

One of the best things about Sirius is the ability to put together a list of favorites and move from one to the next when necessary. Want a good station? Check out Tom Petty's Buried Treasure -- it is indeed a gem. Done with that? Relive the '90s and put on ch 34 Lithium. Done with that? Put on ch 29 Jam On. Done with that? Listen to some Stern. In fact, they replay Stern content over and over again all week long on Howard's channel, especially when he's on vacation, but Stern listeners are as loyal as they get. I really can't imagine them wasting time sending whiny notes to Sirius because they've heard the same Bobo interview 30 times that week.

It makes me wonder how many people complaining are free trial moochers, versus actual Sirius subscribers.

Also, Ari is one of the most well-respected PDs on Sirius. From PJ Radio to Jam On, he's been there for a long time and brings a wealth of knowledge and love of music... so much so that Billboard named him one of the top 40 under 40 in music last year. Also, he's my dad.

rwm1515 05-31-2019 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finksta (Post 17461471)
This.

One of the best things about Sirius is the ability to put together a list of favorites and move from one to the next when necessary. Want a good station? Check out Tom Petty's Buried Treasure -- it is indeed a gem. Done with that? Relive the '90s and put on ch 34 Lithium. Done with that? Put on ch 29 Jam On. Done with that? Listen to some Stern. In fact, they replay Stern content over and over again all week long on Howard's channel, especially when he's on vacation, but Stern listeners are as loyal as they get. I really can't imagine them wasting time sending whiny notes to Sirius because they've heard the same Bobo interview 30 times that week.

It makes me wonder how many people complaining are free trial moochers, versus actual Sirius subscribers.

Also, Ari is one of the most well-respected PDs on Sirius. From PJ Radio to Jam On, he's been there for a long time and brings a wealth of knowledge and love of music... so much so that Billboard named him one of the top 40 under 40 in music last year. Also, he's my dad.

I think you mean Steve from Florida (not Bobo) :cool

BTW...now that last sound bite from the Band fits...discussing DDTW before playing it.

Hahninator 05-31-2019 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flames_theman (Post 17461461)
Amsterdam quality is good. Much better than Düsseldorf. Band sounds great too!

That's interesting you say that because The Dusseldorf quality in my car wasn't great. When I downloaded it from Dreaming Tree it sounded flawless... really good recording there. But that recording was made from the Internet feed. Might be a better sound quality on there, who knows.

Amsterdam was a really good show. Loved the quiet and respectful crowd, much better than the super drunk and super loud American crowds.

Mateo2k 05-31-2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finksta (Post 17461471)

Also, Ari is one of the most well-respected PDs on Sirius. Also, he's my dad.

You should bring him by this thread. Sounds like people have a lot of questions

SeeMoreDMB 06-01-2019 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwm1515 (Post 17461479)
I think you mean Steve from Florida (not Bobo) :cool

BTW...now that last sound bite from the Band fits...discussing DDTW before playing it.

He's been Bobo again for a while. Still the word caller in history tho. Your thoughts?

DMBstandUP1984 06-01-2019 07:02 AM

“I’m 52 and you can kiss my ass”

Thanks for the love Dave

I was 100% sure Dave or the DJ were going to bring up Ants when Dave was talking about fans complaining about the sets

garagebrothers 06-01-2019 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 (Post 17461616)
“I’m 52 and you can kiss my ass”

Thanks for the love Dave

I was 100% sure Dave or the DJ were going to bring up Ants when Dave was talking about fans complaining about the sets

Such a dick comment

DMBstandUP1984 06-01-2019 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garagebrothers (Post 17461624)
Such a dick comment

yeah i know he has said it 100 times before but it was weird to hear him so aggressive about it

Bmwm3oz 06-01-2019 07:31 AM

I turned it on just after this part so I missed it. Did they seriously bring up this forum in regards to fans complaining about sets?