Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=348306)

kenticus 08-21-2020 10:28 PM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalYoda (Post 17773216)
Really hoping someone is recording this Staples Center show. Absolutely the best show I've heard in years.

The Dave and Tim show from Mexico that was on XM earlier this summer was also stellar. Did anyone record that stream?

Dreamingtree.org is your friend there. Dave and tim mexico is there. Guarantee staples will be too.

haiku.warrior 08-21-2020 10:46 PM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
Great show. Nice to hear all the Dave speak about Roi.

Dannyyankou 08-22-2020 12:49 AM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
The show is available on demand on Sirius.

kenticus 08-22-2020 08:33 AM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
Show is also up on dreamingtree for those who partake.

Dannyyankou 08-22-2020 12:53 PM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
Listening to Dreaming Tree now, Dave’s voice breaks a couple times.

To this day I’m shocked they still went on with that show.

jl1982 08-22-2020 01:37 PM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
Anyone have good album art for this show?

kenticus 08-22-2020 02:13 PM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jl1982 (Post 17773391)
Anyone have good album art for this show?

I just opted for the show poster - itís on dmbalmanac.

Two step you can really feel the angst in that one. Water into wine likewise. Bartender is obviously as lit up as everyone knows from how it had already been released....Only weird part is if you look at the setlist, they were supposed to play one sweet world in the encore and subbed it for cornbread, that one was odd.

Still amazed they didnít cancel

ToySoldier#34 08-22-2020 02:17 PM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
I'm only through SDL so far, this is intense

BruceW 08-22-2020 11:16 PM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
That was an awful mix of 8/19/08.

The Bartender from that show on the summer sampler was so much better mixed than this.

Jesus

kenticus 08-22-2020 11:49 PM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
I did notice at the latter parts of tims two step solo that some weird mixing happened, but didn’t notice anything else funky. Loving wings and grey street both stuck out as killer jams listening to it all again.

mthawk07 08-23-2020 10:23 AM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17773544)
That was an awful mix of 8/19/08.

The Bartender from that show on the summer sampler was so much better mixed than this.

Jesus


Except the summer sampler disc completely edited out Boydís playing on the intro, and they also omitted Roiís penny whistle playing during the 6.21.08 Dreaming Tree.

But I agree the broadcast mix was not good.

OK_Ant 08-23-2020 10:42 AM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mthawk07 (Post 17773626)
and they also omitted Roiís penny whistle playing during the 6.21.08 Dreaming Tree.

Shit, I didn't know/remember this. Hopefully if they ever release the show officially, they'll keep it in.

Hahninator 08-23-2020 01:46 PM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mthawk07 (Post 17773626)
Except the summer sampler disc completely edited out Boydís playing on the intro, and they also omitted Roiís penny whistle playing during the 6.21.08 Dreaming Tree.

But I agree the broadcast mix was not good.

Wow I noticed that immediately on Bartender because I've listened to the official release so much. Wild.

BruceW 08-23-2020 03:13 PM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mthawk07 (Post 17773626)
Except the summer sampler disc completely edited out Boydís playing on the intro, and they also omitted Roiís penny whistle playing during the 6.21.08 Dreaming Tree.

But I agree the broadcast mix was not good.


Yea I mean that sucks but isnít related to the Staples show.

Boyd was WAY too loud on the entire Sirius stream and it didnít sound good at all

Royal123 08-23-2020 04:44 PM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
What this mentioned already? Do they have a set schedule for these Sirius streams to end at some point in the near future?

Whiteyxc514 08-23-2020 06:04 PM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal123 (Post 17773714)
What this mentioned already? Do they have a set schedule for these Sirius streams to end at some point in the near future?


Since the channel is now permanent I would have to imagine they want to keep it going for a while, right? Even if they only release one ďnewĒ archival show per month and then the other 3-4 weeks each month were Live Trax, official releases and other shows we already have, they could keep it going for quite a long time I think.

Cobo 08-24-2020 08:32 AM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
Absolutely perplexing as to why the mix on the Sirius stream is SO much worse than the mix for Bartender on LT 2008. Anyone have any idea as to why this might be the case?

Cscottrun 08-24-2020 08:33 AM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobo (Post 17773950)
Absolutely perplexing as to why the mix on the Sirius stream is SO much worse than the mix for Bartender on LT 2008. Anyone have any idea as to why this might be the case?

Is it possible it wasn't mixed and its straight from the soundboard?

BMus1 08-24-2020 10:45 AM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17773951)
Is it possible it wasn't mixed and its straight from the soundboard?

This. The mix is identical to how the 2019 streams sounded; probably just some light EQ and compression was added to clean it up, but nothing major. Despite it not being great, it's kind of interesting to hear a 2008 show with the same quality as these recent streams. I know it being Roi's death show affected the band, but it really highlights how subpar mixing can impact how we perceive a performance. Comparing Bartender from LT 2008 to here is like night and day.


I've seen people around here comment that the band is a lot more loose than they were 10 years ago (which is to some extent true) but the mixes we get from Sirius and the drive-ins are a big reason why people think that.

ToySoldier#34 08-24-2020 10:51 AM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
This Bartender is the most historically significant for the band and it's a huge moment but after listening several times this weekend I just can't put it in my top 10 versions, it's amazing they played at all that night and all credit to them, but the performance isn't as good as I thought it was

BruceW 08-24-2020 11:29 AM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17774017)
This Bartender is the most historically significant for the band and it's a huge moment but after listening several times this weekend I just can't put it in my top 10 versions, it's amazing they played at all that night and all credit to them, but the performance isn't as good as I thought it was

It really isn't. Emotional? Absofreakinglutely. Great/Epic? No.

cry_minarets458 08-24-2020 11:58 AM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17774017)
This Bartender is the most historically significant for the band and it's a huge moment but after listening several times this weekend I just can't put it in my top 10 versions, it's amazing they played at all that night and all credit to them, but the performance isn't as good as I thought it was

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17774045)
It really isn't. Emotional? Absofreakinglutely. Great/Epic? No.

this. have said it since 2008. was pretty upset that they chose a version of a song withotu roi for the 2008 sampler, the touring year that contained quite arguably one of their best months of touring.

6/14/08 hartford. best bartender IMO; i've listened to many other versions to downplay the "i was there" hype, but honestly, the band was magic that month

edit: the SDL was stellar, too, one of the first if not first extended outro; super clean and not obnoxious

jaymas9 08-24-2020 12:23 PM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17773544)
That was an awful mix of 8/19/08.

The Bartender from that show on the summer sampler was so much better mixed than this.

Jesus

Thought the same exact thing, super disappointing. Glad to have that bartender and glad that bartender is on spotify for anyone who doesn't have it.

jaymas9 08-24-2020 12:25 PM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BMus1 (Post 17774013)
This. The mix is identical to how the 2019 streams sounded; probably just some light EQ and compression was added to clean it up, but nothing major. Despite it not being great, it's kind of interesting to hear a 2008 show with the same quality as these recent streams. I know it being Roi's death show affected the band, but it really highlights how subpar mixing can impact how we perceive a performance. Comparing Bartender from LT 2008 to here is like night and day.


I've seen people around here comment that the band is a lot more loose than they were 10 years ago (which is to some extent true) but the mixes we get from Sirius and the drive-ins are a big reason why people think that.

I'm still confounded by how the sirius 2019 mixes were so much worse than the 2018 ones for the shows of those respective tours.

BMus1 08-24-2020 01:25 PM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymas9 (Post 17774088)
I'm still confounded by how the sirius 2019 mixes were so much worse than the 2018 ones for the shows of those respective tours.

The 2018 ones were never live right? I think in 2019 they just had some presets set, let the show air, and then never remixed it for re-airing it. So the audio was pretty much straight soundboard with some slight sweetening done in real time.

kenticus 08-24-2020 01:45 PM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
I found 2019 Sirius has sounded a lot better than 2018 for performances by current band. Overall, mixes have been solid and I for one am just glad we have the staples show. Bartender, loving wings, grey street, two step, etc are all brimming with emotion and passion and in a lot of parts, you can just feel the pain. It’s cathartic.

seanbrutus 08-24-2020 02:38 PM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymas9 (Post 17774088)
I'm still confounded by how the sirius 2019 mixes were so much worse than the 2018 ones for the shows of those respective tours.

I listen to the sirius pull of the 2018 WPB shows a lot and they sound so great. I have a bunch of 2019 shows now as well but the mix can range from really amazing to just downright bad. The SPAC N2 2019 show for example sounds really great. The Bethel show on the other hand is very oddly mixed.

That brings into question how much the venue's acoustics change the sound from night to night.

georgedavis003 08-24-2020 11:23 PM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kenticus (Post 17774129)
I found 2019 Sirius has sounded a lot better than 2018 for performances by current band. Overall, mixes have been solid and I for one am just glad we have the staples show. Bartender, loving wings, grey street, two step, etc are all brimming with emotion and passion and in a lot of parts, you can just feel the pain. Itís cathartic.

Loving Wings is definitely the highlight on that one for me. Really can feel the passion in that performance

Roose13 08-25-2020 11:17 AM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 (Post 17774063)
this. have said it since 2008. was pretty upset that they chose a version of a song withotu roi for the 2008 sampler, the touring year that contained quite arguably one of their best months of touring.

6/14/08 hartford. best bartender IMO; i've listened to many other versions to downplay the "i was there" hype, but honestly, the band was magic that month

edit: the SDL was stellar, too, one of the first if not first extended outro; super clean and not obnoxious

I was really lucky to see three shows that month (June 3-4 in Camden, and June 27 in Hershey). Those were some really, really good shows, and the Hershey one is one of my all-time favorites (20th birthday, insane encore, Roi's second to last show). I would kill for that Hersey 2008 Two Step to be released.

Dannyyankou 08-25-2020 11:37 AM

Re: Dave Matthews Band to Launch Limited-Run SiriusXM Channel
 
6/14/08 was a super fun show


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster. The rest is owned by antsmarching.org.