Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What venue has the worst crowd? (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=351717)

tyler3440 05-22-2019 11:01 AM

What venue has the worst crowd?

This is in regards to amount of ridiculous behavior like fights and shit.

Bmwm3oz 05-22-2019 11:03 AM

Re: What venue has the worst crowd?

Philly :lol

tyler3440 05-22-2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmwm3oz (Post 17455216)
Philly :lol

Agreed :lol

tyler3440 05-22-2019 11:09 AM

Guess you can’t exclude Hartford https://youtu.be/aZ-TpezFK2g :lol

drop2d 05-22-2019 11:11 AM

We can’t all be world travelers like you Tyler and get to every venue to make a very robust opinion but... for those I’ve been to, it’s Hartford. Hands down.

But again... it’s not ALL just the venue. It’s the act also. A few years back I went to see Dream Theater and Jason Mraz at the same venue in the same week... guess which show was swimming with assholes?

tyler3440 05-22-2019 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drop2d (Post 17455222)
We can’t all be world travelers like you Tyler and get to every venue to make a very robust opinion but... for those I’ve been to, it’s Hartford. Hands down.

But again... it’s not ALL just the venue. It’s the act also. A few years back I went to see Dream Theater and Jason Mraz at the same venue in the same week... guess which show was swimming with assholes?

Oh Jason Mraz for sure.

I should have put DMB in the title because I’m strictly talking about dmb shows.

nikkidmb 05-22-2019 11:17 AM

Hartford. Absolute trash

grilldanmo 05-22-2019 11:25 AM

Thanks to one of my oldest friends, my first thought as a response is:

...your mother...

tyler3440 05-22-2019 11:27 AM

Never seen a fight go down at any venue I have ever been at. Bristow, Charlotte, Little Rock, Southaven, Oak Mountain, Dallas, Brandon, Pensacola were all pretty tame as far as actual fist fights.

Bmwm3oz 05-22-2019 11:29 AM

Only thing I've noticed between the venues I've been to (Gorge, Alpine & Chicago Northerly Island) is there was a S ton of puke at the Chicago show. More than I've ever seen. Puke everywhereeeee

RiotAct 05-22-2019 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler3440 (Post 17455213)
This is in regards to amount of ridiculous behavior like fights and shit.

Southaven, Mississippi.

chrisjuniper 05-22-2019 11:45 AM

Whichever one you're at.

tyler3440 05-22-2019 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisjuniper (Post 17455262)
Whichever one you're at.

says the guy who makes a joke at someone who died at a show. You are a true pice of shit.

Dannyyankou 05-22-2019 11:58 AM

Hartford, and I’ve seen the majority of my shows there.

Cscottrun 05-22-2019 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler3440 (Post 17455219)
Guess you can’t exclude Hartford https://youtu.be/aZ-TpezFK2g :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikkidmb (Post 17455231)
Hartford. Absolute trash

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyyankou (Post 17455270)
Hartford, and I’ve seen the majority of my shows there.

IMO Hartford is much better now then it was 5-10 years ago. It's really calmed down a lot and last year it seemed like just another venue to me. Arguably the "rowdiest" lot, the midas lot (or the grassy area attached to it), was not open last year and I've noticed more of a police presence in recent years.

I know the question was meant to mean craziest/wildest crowd, but if we are just talking about worst crowd (in terms of not responding to the music, etc.), Jones Beach has to be on the list. Also, believe it or not, the Gorge. For all the hype the venue gets (and deserves), the crowd, in my opinion, sucks lol. I was expecting a Spac, Alpine, MSG type loud crowd and it was nothing like that at all.

273441 05-22-2019 12:07 PM

Ive seen most of my DMB shows and concerts in general in Hartford, and its really not the worst. For DMB shows, I have never had a problem with anyone being violent. People are probably the most drunk in Hartford, but Ive really never seen anything out of control there for DMB. Other Hartford shows, yes Ive seen fights on the lawn. The worst situation is the SPAC lawn for DMB that Ive seen. It is WAY too packed and people are complete assholes. In contrast, inside SPAC is the best concert experience Ive had - but I wouldnt go to SPAC if my only option was the lawn. I would do Hartford lawn for DMB again, no issue.

Bmwm3oz 05-22-2019 12:08 PM

^. So true. The gorge crowd sucks. But the venue is great.

scrock25 05-22-2019 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 273441 (Post 17455287)
Ive seen most of my DMB shows and concerts in general in Hartford, and its really not the worst. For DMB shows, I have never had a problem with anyone being violent. People are probably the most drunk in Hartford, but Ive really never seen anything out of control there for DMB. Other Hartford shows, yes Ive seen fights on the lawn. The worst situation is the SPAC lawn for DMB that Ive seen. It is WAY too packed and people are complete assholes. In contrast, inside SPAC is the best concert experience Ive had - but I wouldnt go to SPAC if my only option was the lawn. I would do Hartford lawn for DMB again, no issue.

Awful awful awful place, it really cannot be overstated.

Cscottrun 05-22-2019 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmwm3oz (Post 17455290)
^. So true. The gorge crowd sucks. But the venue is great.

It's so weird because people travel from all over to see the band 3 nights in a row and are willing to camp outside in the middle of no where, etc. You would think the majority of the crowd would be huge fans and respond to things the band does, but nope.

Dannyyankou 05-22-2019 12:14 PM

If we’re talking about best crowds, I think Holmdel is pretty great. I’ve never heard of a fight there, and they’re very energetic.

pathetic 05-22-2019 12:16 PM

Hartford for the people

SPAC lawn for the experience (and that's just cutting through to get to my seats :lol)

Bmwm3oz 05-22-2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17455292)
It's so weird because people travel from all over to see the band 3 nights in a row and are willing to camp outside in the middle of no where, etc. You would think the majority of the crowd would be huge fans and respond to things the band does, but nope.

It's getting better now if you can believe it.

In the 2000's, it was very common for people to go just for the camping. I can't tell you how many people I ran into at the campground throughout the day that said they aren't going to any of the shows and they 'just came here to party dude'.

Edit: It's still bad. Alpine was my fav concert experience. Incredible crowd. No idea why Alpine and Gorge are so different as you mentioned.. so strange

grilldanmo 05-22-2019 12:18 PM

Watched that clip from 1999...unreal, but not really. Do you folks remember Woodstock '99? Bad vibes in the late '90s at music events.

We went to Hartford for the first time last year and very much enjoyed it. Nice venue, good set, nice food options (in general, but especially compared to Mansfield...horrible food there, generic crappy venue food), good crowd/vibes, used a private lot across the street and down the block (a little professional plaza)...really looking forward to this year.

Antiramie 05-22-2019 12:22 PM

Can't say I've ever run into this issue at a DMB show or really any other show that I can remember. I've seen some crazy stuff at festivals, but I wouldn't lump them in with normal concerts.

Worst venue, solely because of parking, is easily Maryland Heights.

bowa36 05-22-2019 12:51 PM

Saratoga Performing Arts Center. by miles and miles

Cscottrun 05-22-2019 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowa36 (Post 17455331)
Saratoga Performing Arts Center. by miles and miles

I disagree. Hartford is worse in my opinion. So is Bristow. At one point you literally couldn't bring beer into the SPAC parking lots. Not just a rule...they would actually search your car and confiscate as you made your way into the park.

dobyblue 05-22-2019 01:45 PM

For me it's consistently been Darien Lake, pissing in the seats, puking all over, no crowd does it like Darien. They're still a great crowd for DMB in terms of response and energy and the venue has seen some great moments with spontansous storms, etc., but as far as a shit show goes, Darien is where it's at. Sloppy as fuck.

Bmwm3oz 05-22-2019 02:03 PM

Someone at the Gorge shit their pants at rail a few years back and apparently refused to leave.

bigeyedpigs 05-22-2019 02:03 PM

I'd say Hartford and it's my home venue. In the 20+ years I've been going to the meadows, doesn't really matter who's playing, I've seen some insane stuff. It seems people just don't get drunk there, they get absolutely trashed. Although, I will say dmb crowds have gotten more mellow.

dmbnut21 05-22-2019 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmwm3oz (Post 17455418)
Someone at the Gorge shit their pants at rail a few years back and apparently refused to leave.

:lol :lol :lol Dude is just standing there the whole time going, nobody noticed, nobody knows that that was me, everything is cool, everything is cool.

All around him: :grimey :grimey :grimey :grimey

Please tell me Dave came out on stage and started out with saying - ya'll smell good this evening.