Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

HallowBillies7 10-24-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14881342)
Now here's my opinion on the John Scott incident, and it'll probably be an unpopular one.

John Scott is not a shit bag, is not "classless", is not a thug. The hit looks bad, yes, and I really hope Loui can come back soon...HOWEVER...I don't think it was a "dirty" hit. I don't in any way think Scott intended to injure Loui. Not only because Scott is almost notoriously known for being one of the nicest and most genuine guys in the NHL, but because I don't think Scott is good enough on his skates to really make that kind of split second decision.

He is sent out there with 1 mission from his coaches, which Mr. Juilen so nicely reminded us all of post game. I quote, "He did his job. He's there to do 2 things: to fight and to hurt. He did both of those things" This is 100% true. He's an enforcer. He's sent out there to put some hurt into guys. Does he intend to injure them? I in no way believe so...but that's the role of an enforcer. Hockey teams need different role guys. Not everyone is sent out there to score goals. Scott is sent out to make star players a little more timid when they handle the puck.

John Scott has about 8 inches on Eriksson. His shoulder lines up with Eriksson's head. He probably saw an opportunity to check a star player for the other team, lined him up, and just so happened to hit him in a bad spot. Scott is a huge guy. This is a size difference issue as much as anything.

Also, Eriksson needs to keep his fucking head up in the neutral zone, and I would bet my next paycheck that Loui said the same thing, or at least thought it. Toews learned that early when he got ROCKED by Willie Mitchell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLbLiGXqHIA

You know what Toews said postgame about that hit? Not that Mitchell is a dirty player, but that it was his fault for having his head down (which you actually hear the announcer say something about that after the hit too).

Long story short, let's not start a witch hunt for John Scott.

I thought Scott was classy after the Thornton fight last year too with what he said to the media. I don't put him in the category of the Cooke' and Kaleta's in the league. I also agree with Loui needing to keep his head up.

With that said, the size argument doesn't work for me because there are players in the NHL near his size that can lay people out and not have this happen, like Chara. To me the hit would be a 5 game suspension.

lockman21 10-24-2013 12:27 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by HallowBillies7 (Post 14881603)
I thought Scott was classy after the Thornton fight last year too with what he said to the media. I don't put him in the category of the Cooke' and Kaleta's in the league. I also agree with Loui needing to keep his head up.

With that said, the size argument doesn't work for me because there are players in the NHL near his size that can lay people out and not have this happen, like Chara. To me the hit would be a 5 game suspension.

Yeah, I mean, Scott is known as a good guy. I'm sure it wasn't intentional.

And, well yeah, Scott has payed plenty of people out and this hasn't happened, but this particular hit seemed to be a size issue. Clearly not every hit from the monster skaters (Chara, Scott, Myers, etc) are going to result in this, but this one did because of size, not malicious intent, IMO.

lockman21 10-24-2013 12:33 PM

I mean, look at Stevens hit on Kariya. No one was calling for his head and that was so much worse.

fonzz41 10-24-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14881704)
Yeah, I mean, Scott is known as a good guy. I'm sure it wasn't intentional.

And, well yeah, Scott has payed plenty of people out and this hasn't happened, but this particular hit seemed to be a size issue. Clearly not every hit from the monster skaters (Chara, Scott, Myers, etc) are going to result in this, but this one did because of size, not malicious intent, IMO.

Myers has hit somebody? Ever?

EDIT: And yes, I agree that a bit of a witch hunt is being started. I don't see Scott in the light some of you do, and I do think he should have been much smarter about the play last night. I'm not too big on the size argument. Like you said Chris, he's done it a few times with no problems. He could have been more smart about that hit. HOWEVER, I do not see a ton of malice there.

~Crashintome89~ 10-24-2013 01:11 PM

To be fair, I consider John Scott more of an oafy teddy bear than anything else.

I'm more inclined to hate the Sabres for employing Patrick Kaleta who absolutely has no hockey skill whatsoever and is the biggest baby on the face of the Earth.

Simply put, I'd rather have a five minute conversation with Sidney Crosby than shake Patrick Kaleta's hand.

HallowBillies7 10-24-2013 01:26 PM

@985TheSportsHub: #NHLBruins Loui Eriksson diagnosed with concussion, out indefinitely

Well this sucks, it's like this team is plagued with concussions. Hopefully he rests up and is ready to go by the end of the year

DynastyDrummer1 10-24-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 14881836)
To be fair, I consider John Scott more of an oafy teddy bear than anything else.

I'm more inclined to hate the Sabres for employing Patrick Kaleta who absolutely has no hockey skill whatsoever and is the biggest baby on the face of the Earth.

Simply put, I'd rather have a five minute conversation with Sidney Crosby than shake Patrick Kaleta's hand.

Hey! Kaleta is good for a goal once every season!

Fun fact of the day: Tyler Myers got in a fight a few seasons ago. With Sheldon Brookbank, and I don't remember it going well for Myers.

lockman21 10-24-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14881725)
Myers has hit somebody? Ever?

EDIT: And yes, I agree that a bit of a witch hunt is being started. I don't see Scott in the light some of you do, and I do think he should have been much smarter about the play last night. I'm not too big on the size argument. Like you said Chris, he's done it a few times with no problems. He could have been more smart about that hit. HOWEVER, I do not see a ton of malice there.

:lol Myers I think is scared of his own shadow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 14881836)

Kaleta is pure scum. If we're gonna have a witch hunt to drive anyone out of the league, he's certainly not a bad place to start.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DynastyDrummer1 (Post 14881901)
Hey! Kaleta is good for a goal once every season!

Fun fact of the day: Tyler Myers got in a fight a few seasons ago. With Sheldon Brookbank, and I don't remember it going well for Myers.

Brookbank is no slouch man, that guy can throw down with the best of 'em.

lockman21 10-24-2013 03:20 PM

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/apo...elongs-in-nhl/

Scott is a good guy. The things reporters, people that work at Johnny's IceHouse (where the Hawks practice), people I know that have met him, former Hawks players, etc. say about him...all positive. Let's leave Scott alone, eh? Just a play that went bad, nothing more.

pathetic 10-24-2013 03:44 PM

Scott could be the greatest guy in the world, still was a dirty hit and something the NHL is trying to get out of the game.

JRS1386 10-24-2013 04:07 PM

Claude Giroux is going to have a huge night because I forgot to set my hockey lineup

lockman21 10-24-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pathetic (Post 14882127)
Scott could be the greatest guy in the world, still was a dirty hit and something the NHL is trying to get out of the game.

Agree to disagree. I think it's certainly suspendable, and probably 5-10 games.

There's a huge difference between a dirty hit and a malicious hit, though. People calling him classless and saying he doesn't have a place in the NHL are out of line, that's all I'm saying.

HallowBillies7 10-24-2013 04:41 PM

Rask with 15 saves already tonight, Johnson had 14 the whole game against Buffalo. Anybody else see something wrong here?

salrx95 10-24-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HallowBillies7 (Post 14882204)
Rask with 15 saves already tonight, Johnson had 14 the whole game against Buffalo. Anybody else see something wrong here?

how dare you be playing NHL team tonight :D

salrx95 10-24-2013 05:35 PM

Damn Pouliot just almost killed Talbot. The replay from behind looked so dangerous. Man, this seems to happen nightly now.

JRS1386 10-24-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Buffalo fucking sucks and San Jose is good?

JRS1386 10-24-2013 06:02 PM

Why don't teams just constantly put the Flyers on the man advantage is beyond me. They are so dreadful

lockman21 10-24-2013 06:15 PM

God, I love being able to watch Kane play every night.

HallowBillies7 10-24-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 14882292)
Buffalo fucking sucks and San Jose is good?

Lol I didn't realize buffalo was that awful until seeing that game last night

lockman21 10-24-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HallowBillies7 (Post 14882376)
Lol I didn't realize buffalo was that awful until seeing that game last night

I'm pretty sure my men's league team could beat the Sabres.

efraser77 10-24-2013 06:33 PM

Well that's a helluva way to be dealt your first regulation loss.

HallowBillies7 10-24-2013 06:33 PM

Krejci with .8 seconds!

JRS1386 10-24-2013 06:41 PM

Woo Flyers win! Winning streak established! Best team in the world!!!!1111!!!!!11!!1!11!111

DynastyDrummer1 10-24-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Buffalo needs to control the puck for more than 5 seconds to get shots off. That'll never happen.

But hey, Rolston said that we're "going to be a puck possession team this season".

Yah, that's going well so far........ I feel bad for Ryan Miller.

Roose13 10-24-2013 10:21 PM

Both Talbot and Berube after the game didn't feel the hit was on purpose. I honestly don't think Pouliot should be suspended. I'm just glad Talbot is okay. His face was definitely marked up in the locker room.

dmbetc 10-24-2013 11:30 PM

Man that Kings game was a blast to be at. King replaces Brown on the 2nd line and gets a hat trick, I feel bad for Brown (shut up, I know I'm biased). But, Dustin had a great game too, finally got some assists and on the PP. I could not believe that Phoenix tied it up though, both teams with 4 goals in a row but Kings came out on top.

swordo84 10-25-2013 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14882198)
Agree to disagree. I think it's certainly suspendable, and probably 5-10 games.

There's a huge difference between a dirty hit and a malicious hit, though. People calling him classless and saying he doesn't have a place in the NHL are out of line, that's all I'm saying.

The fact that he has 5 points in almost 200 games shows he has no place in the league. Get somebody with some talent to take his spot.

He's only on the team to a)hurt people and b)fight - both of which the NHL are (saying they are) trying to cut down on.

TMoore4075 10-25-2013 05:24 AM

Alright well Wings get the Rangers tomorrow. That's gotta get them back on track right???? Right?

Rebecca De Mornay 10-25-2013 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 14882679)
The fact that he has 5 points in almost 200 games shows he has no place in the league. Get somebody with some talent to take his spot.

He's only on the team to a)hurt people and b)fight - both of which the NHL are (saying they are) trying to cut down on.

Is that much worse than anyone else on the sabres?

swordo84 10-25-2013 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 14882692)
Is that much worse than anyone else on the sabres?

Hmmmm fair point. lol

On an unrelated note, Oilers rookie Mark Arcobello has matched a feat that only Crosby and Kane have done in the past 50 (i think) years. 10 assists in first 10 NHL games. Kid is going to be a great player I think. Solid in all aspects of the game. Offensively contributing, winning face-offs, one of the leaders in hits and very sound coming back defensively.

In all the garbage that is the Oilers (again) this year, he is a bright spot for sure.