Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

DMBstandUP1984 06-07-2019 08:59 AM

Re: The NHL Thread: The year of Stanley Cupsets!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 17465810)
Wasn’t the Blues coaching staff whining just 2 games ago and their entire fanbase and team last series about a hand pass?

I know the coach was complaining about the calls after game 3, and last night said its not his job to comment on the officials lol

Chumlee67 06-07-2019 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17465801)
I get that and think officiating is definitely a problem that has been glaringly apparent throughout these playoffs (my team had one against them that was particularly ridiculous). The NHL needs to address it.

But while I get that officiating is an issue, it is not the only reason the Blues are up in this series. First, Binnington. He's shown a lot of resilience coming back from that game 3 drubbing. I mean, yeah that second Blues goal shouldn't have counted, but it's not like the Bruins didn't have chances throughout the game to put points on the board. 39 shots on goal. Thirty-nine. On a rookie. The shots were like 12-4 at one point and they didn't capitalize.

And sometimes when there is a shot count like that you start to blame defense, but to the contrary I'd give them a lot of credit for the low point totals from that Bruins top line. The #1 unit of Parayko and Bouwmeester has been an absolute FORCE out there. They're keeping up speed-wise, they're physical, they limit the quality scoring chances, they're breaking out [reasonably] well. And then to have an all-star like Pietrangelo playing on the second unit? So key, especially with the way Krejci is playing (best forward on the Bruins right now IMO).

All that said, the Bruins are one good shot away from turning this thing around. Binnington has shown he's not perfect, and if that top line can get any sort of room, this series can shift Boston's way pretty quickly.

In the end, I'm content with either team winning.

As he should.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17465809)
I fully agree with everything you’ve said. I think it’s beautifully put and I absolutely would not say the Blues are ahead because they got the break that they did last night.

Alls I’m saying is that in a playoff stained by poor officiating, we’ve now had the newest version of the biggest incident yet. In a 1-0 game midway through the third period of game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final, that call being missed can’t happen. It changes everything about the complexion of the game. And that’s not fair to the sport. I don’t mean to be all soap boxy, and I have never been one to be harsh on referees at all, but I mean the trip is right there. Slewfoot, textbook, clear as day. And then a goal immediately results in the aftermath of a confused group of hockey players, as many on both sides, including the man who committed the foul, expected it was about to penalized. I mean that just can’t happen. It changes everything. It changes the series. And there’s been far too many examples of that. They gotta figure that out. Maybe it’s just bad luck this year. I don’t know, but that was ugly.

Big thumbs up and agreement on all of this. The Bruins had more than enough chances to win the game last night.

fonzz41 06-07-2019 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 17465809)
I fully agree with everything you’ve said. I think it’s beautifully put and I absolutely would not say the Blues are ahead because they got the break that they did last night.

Alls I’m saying is that in a playoff stained by poor officiating, we’ve now had the newest version of the biggest incident yet. In a 1-0 game midway through the third period of game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final, that call being missed can’t happen. It changes everything about the complexion of the game. And that’s not fair to the sport. I don’t mean to be all soap boxy, and I have never been one to be harsh on referees at all, but I mean the trip is right there. Slewfoot, textbook, clear as day. And then a goal immediately results in the aftermath of a confused group of hockey players, as many on both sides, including the man who committed the foul, expected it was about to penalized. I mean that just can’t happen. It changes everything. It changes the series. And there’s been far too many examples of that. They gotta figure that out. Maybe it’s just bad luck this year. I don’t know, but that was ugly.

And you're right in saying that these playoffs in particular have seen some of the biggest gaffes in recent memory. The major against Vegas in game 7, the offsides against Colorado, Meier's hand pass... and those are only the ones (that I can think of) that happened in elimination games. Not to mention Panarin scoring off the netting, this Bozak trip, McAvoy's head shot against Anderson, etc.

It takes away from the narrative of an otherwise very exciting playoffs. And that sucks.

MOWJO8185 06-07-2019 09:06 AM

Berube's comments after Game 3 were made a bigger deal out of than they were. I have seen the quote represented as "We were the least-penalized team in the league in the first three rounds and now all of a sudden we’ve taken 14 penalties in one series. I don’t agree with all of the calls." In fact, that's all I saw until today.

What he actually said was "We were the least-penalized team in the league in the first three rounds and now all of a sudden we’ve taken 14 penalties in one series. I think that we could definitely be more composed after the whistle. I think we’ve let some frustration get in there where we maybe do too much after the whistle. So we’ll clean that up, for sure. But like I said, we were the least penalized team in the league coming into this series. I don’t agree with all of the calls."

It was a bit of a shot at the refs for sure but also one that accepted some responsibility. And I do think the Blues cleaned it up in Game 4 and earned the fewer penalty calls. I get the frustration about last night for sure.

pathetic 06-07-2019 09:09 AM

the bruins sucking is not the sexy topic. The awful officiating is

Also, Blues are so dirty, I can't wait until these teams play a regular season game next year. so many fights

DMBstandUP1984 06-07-2019 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 (Post 17465827)
Berube's comments after Game 3 were made a bigger deal out of than they were. I have seen the quote represented as "We were the least-penalized team in the league in the first three rounds and now all of a sudden we’ve taken 14 penalties in one series. I don’t agree with all of the calls." In fact, that's all I saw until today.

What he actually said was "We were the least-penalized team in the league in the first three rounds and now all of a sudden we’ve taken 14 penalties in one series. I think that we could definitely be more composed after the whistle. I think we’ve let some frustration get in there where we maybe do too much after the whistle. So we’ll clean that up, for sure. But like I said, we were the least penalized team in the league coming into this series. I don’t agree with all of the calls."

It was a bit of a shot at the refs for sure but also one that accepted some responsibility. And I do think the Blues cleaned it up in Game 4 and earned the fewer penalty calls. I get the frustration about last night for sure.

yeah they played the whole quote this morning I just thought with what he said after the game last night about the officials compared to that after game 3 it was just a bit hypocritical

MOWJO8185 06-07-2019 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 (Post 17465838)
yeah they played the whole quote this morning I just thought with what he said after the game last night about the officials compared to that after game 3 it was just a bit hypocritical

Yeah I get that. Just thought the way the quote was portrayed after Game 3 made it seem like a bigger deal than it actually was given the full quote. He was definitely getting a point across regardless so agree he was a bit hypocritical last night.

DMBstandUP1984 06-07-2019 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 (Post 17465842)
Yeah I get that. Just thought the way the quote was portrayed after Game 3 made it seem like a bigger deal than it actually was given the full quote. He was definitely getting a point across regardless so agree he was a bit hypocritical last night.

yeah. its smart. I'm sure after what Cassidy said and the backlash we will see a completely different game Sunday.

On the bright side NHL Game 7s are tit

MOWJO8185 06-07-2019 09:30 AM

This is probably going to be the biggest sports day in St. Louis history Sunday if it happens for the Blues. We have 3 young children, including a 6 month old, so getting downtown isn't the easiest/most convenient thing, but we are going to go down there Sunday for sure.

Cardinals have won a championship basically in every generation. They are #1 in the city but have a history of championships.

Rams had the one Super Bowl win but they had only been here 5 years at the time and later left.

The Blues have had tons of regular season success without a trophy to show for it in 51 years on the ice. They are basically the Utah Jazz of hockey. This place will go absolutely nuts.

dmbetc 06-07-2019 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 (Post 17465858)
This is probably going to be the biggest sports day in St. Louis history Sunday if it happens for the Blues. We have 3 young children, including a 6 month old, so getting downtown isn't the easiest/most convenient thing, but we are going to go down there Sunday for sure.

Cardinals have won a championship basically in every generation. They are #1 in the city but have a history of championships.

Rams had the one Super Bowl win but they had only been here 5 years at the time and later left.

The Blues have had tons of regular season success without a trophy to show for it in 51 years on the ice. They are basically the Utah Jazz of hockey. This place will go absolutely nuts.

Really hope they win it at home, nothing like it!

TrampledUnderw. 06-07-2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

yeah def a baseball city but this place will erupt if the Blues win. I haven't seen this much excitement in a long time

DMBstandUP1984 06-07-2019 09:35 AM

Quote:

The cards got screwed in 85 you should have little sympathy for what happen to the Bs last night? right? :lol

MOWJO8185 06-07-2019 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 (Post 17465870)
The cards got screwed in 85 you should have little sympathy for what happen to the Bs last night? right? :lol

No I get it for sure. It definitely burns. I just mostly agree with what others have said about there being nothing you can point to that says the Bruins should otherwise be winning that game or this series or that the Blues are only winning because of missed calls/dirty play. The Bruins had a shit ton more shots last night and a 3-1 advantage in power plays and couldn't take control.

I was irate after the hand pass, missed calls are never how you want an outcome of a game being decided so I get the frustration. And something needs to change with officiating for sure. But the Blues responded and outscored the Sharks 12-2 the rest of the way in that series after the hand pass. If the Bruins are the better team they'll bring home the Cup.

mthawk07 06-07-2019 11:15 AM

Horrible missed call last night but hoping for a Blues win tomorrow.

Lcsulla 06-07-2019 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 (Post 17465614)
krejci?

Rask was also great last night. Series is going 7 but I always thought whoever won game 5 is winning the series

My bad, you are correct. Just confused two massholes! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 (Post 17465634)
just sucks that when you look back on this playoff run the thing people will remember the most is the officiating

Don't forget the upsets too, namely tampa getting swept!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 (Post 17465785)
the greatest lefty in NHL history

I am thinking that Crosby, Kane or Sedin might have something to say about that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOWJO8185 (Post 17465635)
I get that, but the complaining started well before that. All I’ve seen is Blues are dirty and refs suck and nothing about the Bruins inability to get their game going in even strength.

Yet now Cassidy and (of all people) Backes are complaining about penalties. What is this, lost a game and bitch about the officiating? Yes, I do think that Berube's comments were overplayed but they probably did make a little difference so now the bruins are doing the same thing. Shame Wes McCaully is out, he is the best ref in the damn league.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chumlee67 (Post 17465697)
Barbashev to have a hearing for the hit on Johansson

Good, he is scum, always has been.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17465826)
Not to mention Panarin scoring off the netting, this Bozak trip

Least we got an explanation about why that goal was allowed though since Panarin was not the first Jacket to touch the puck after it came down so according to section XX.X it was a good goal.

rickyh24 06-07-2019 12:55 PM

The NHL Thread: The year of Stanley Cupsets!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 17466035)
Least we got an explanation about why that goal was allowed though since Panarin was not the first Jacket to touch the puck after it came down so according to section XX.X it was a good goal.

I don’t think it was a good goal. The puck should have been dead immediately when it hit the net. The explanation you are talking about was just the reason they couldn’t review it and fix it. Which was one of the dumber reasonings I’ve ever heard sports wise.

pathetic 06-07-2019 12:57 PM

yeah, that's definitely going to be something they change this off-season.

fonzz41 06-07-2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 17466035)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 17466082)
I don’t think it was a good goal. The puck should have been dead immediately when it hit the net. The explanation you are talking about was just the reason they couldn’t review it. Which was one of the dumber reasonings I’ve ever heard sports wise.

Right. Puck should be dead as soon as it leaves the playing area. Add it to the pile.

ToySoldier#34 06-07-2019 01:05 PM

In his last 11 Stanley Cup games Marchard has zero points in even strength

DMBstandUP1984 06-07-2019 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17466097)

He is the Bruins Mookie Betts

MOWJO8185 06-07-2019 03:04 PM

If there's any question as to how ready St. Louis is to see this, apparently Game 6 tickets are currently priced on average as the second highest sporting event ticket in the last decade IN ALL SPORTS. The only one it's behind is the Cubs Game 7 World Series ticket.

~Crashintome89~ 06-07-2019 05:57 PM

I just can't see the Bruins losing to Jordan Binnington.

unccrombie 06-07-2019 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 17466235)

Buckle up then.

Chumlee67 06-07-2019 06:51 PM

One game for Barbashev

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lcsulla 06-07-2019 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 17466082)
I don’t think it was a good goal. The puck should have been dead immediately when it hit the net. The explanation you are talking about was just the reason they couldn’t review it and fix it. Which was one of the dumber reasonings I’ve ever heard sports wise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pathetic (Post 17466085)
yeah, that's definitely going to be something they change this off-season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 17466086)
Right. Puck should be dead as soon as it leaves the playing area. Add it to the pile.

I agree with all of you, my only point was that for once we got an explanation on a very controversial call.

Quote:

Happened 3 times already, fourth would not shock me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chumlee67 (Post 17466258)
One game for Barbashev

Good, he's a wimpy little dickhead!

barbogast 06-08-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 17466267)
I agree with all of you, my only point was that for once we got an explanation on a very controversial call.

We got similar explanations for both the hand pass and the Landeskog offsides

hailtopitt 06-08-2019 11:20 PM

Quote:

I would normally agree with this, but I’ve seen it happen before...

He’s basically the 2nd coming of Matt Murray

The parallels between the two are strikingly similar. Doesn’t mean the Blues will win, but I’ve seen it before...

barbogast 06-09-2019 06:02 AM

Hoping to see the St Louis Blues earn their first Stanley Cup tonight. I can’t wait to see it come out with that bare ring at the bottom with only one block filled in.

drakan 06-09-2019 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17466097)

So 2 goals tonight?

drakan 06-09-2019 04:00 PM

Sea bass was pissed the other night.