Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Roose13 04-18-2017 04:31 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (where the Presidents Trophy matters!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16768882)
I am actually conflicted about the Leafs winning. The last time an eight-seed from Canada upset the President's Trophy winning Caps in round 1 the year after the Pens won the Cup it didn't work out so well for the Pens. :lol

So doe this mean the Flyers will go to the Cup finals?!

barbogast 04-18-2017 04:38 AM

I can't shake off how disappointed I am today. I fucking hate this shit. Glad it's fun for you guys.

JRS1386 04-18-2017 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16768975)
So doe this mean the Flyers will go to the Cup finals?!

What a fucking ride that year was. Last time the Flyers made serious noise in the playoffs

bradshaw06 04-18-2017 05:03 AM

Holy OT games. Damn near every game has been close. That is why this sport is awesome. Or at least one of the reasons

bradshaw06 04-18-2017 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16768980)
What a fucking ride that year was. Last time the Flyers made serious noise in the playoffs

That was the year they came back 0-3 against the B's right? That was quite a run by phl.

aeroshady 04-18-2017 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16768976)
I can't shake off how disappointed I am today. I fucking hate this shit. Glad it's fun for you guys.

It's not right now for a lot of us.

Rangers are in the same boat and that boat could sink tonight.

Bruins got screwed by really bad officiating.

Flames got burned by a better Ducks team.

Hawks are collapsing.

Penguins are....damn it Pens fans!

bradshaw06 04-18-2017 05:14 AM

Pens have their problems. No Letang will be big if they advance and play some of these other speedy teams. Plus i dont really trust maf.

aeroshady 04-18-2017 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 16768984)
Pens have their problems. No Letang will be big if they advance and play some of these other speedy teams. Plus i dont really trust maf.

You guys are by far the best in the East, and honestly, only the Ducks would worry me in the West if I were a Pens fan. I will keep repeating it until the Pens are done, but I really think they will win it all again this year.

JRS1386 04-18-2017 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 16768982)
That was the year they came back 0-3 against the B's right? That was quite a run by phl.

It was. I remember watching game 7 with my brother and calling the comeback when they went down early in that game too. Think I called it in here too. Shame they ran into the early stages of the juggernaut that is Chicago (except maybe this year)

Roose13 04-18-2017 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 16768982)

I was at Game 6 of that series. Loudest I've ever heard that place. Just amazing.

aeroshady 04-18-2017 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16768994)
I was at Game 6 of that series. Loudest I've ever heard that place. Just amazing.

I was at game 4 in Boston when the Flyers had a goalie change due to injury. I remember my friend saying "I am so glad we went to this game to see the Bruins sweep this series." :lol That didn't work out so well.

Roose13 04-18-2017 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16768995)
I was at game 4 in Boston when the Flyers had a goalie change due to injury. I remember my friend saying "I am so glad we went to this game to see the Bruins sweep this series." :lol That didn't work out so well.

Game 5 was the goalie change. Flyers were home Game 3, 4 and 6 that series.

YouNeverKnow25 04-18-2017 05:39 AM

is kunitz supposed to return or nah?

aeroshady 04-18-2017 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16768996)
Game 5 was the goalie change. Flyers were home Game 3, 4 and 6 that series.

Game 5 it was! Maybe he said "so the bruins can close it out." I Just remember him being way to confident :lol

Edit: Just checked my facebook and I uploaded those photos from that game on May 11th 2010. So that makes sense that it was game 5!

Edit 2: How was that 7 years ago already....ugh

jrkarger 04-18-2017 05:48 AM

Quote:

Agreed. No one should be planning parades just yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16768987)
You guys are by far the best in the East, and honestly, only the Ducks would worry me in the West if I were a Pens fan. I will keep repeating it until the Pens are done, but I really think they will win it all again this year.

Despite what I just said, with the Hawks and Caps on shaky ground the Pens chances are looking better.

I haven't watched too much of the Ducks play.

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 (Post 16768998)
is kunitz supposed to return or nah?

I haven't heard.

YouNeverKnow25 04-18-2017 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16769004)

I haven't heard.

yeah that's what I thought; I was checking to see if I just missed something or if they were doing the usual mysterious thing

rickyh24 04-18-2017 06:04 AM

Not gonna wish death on Tim Peel but he should definitely be chilling in the unemployment line today.

unccrombie 04-18-2017 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16768971)
Just watched all the player interviews after the game just now. Backstrom denied it. Carlson denied it. Ovechkin denied it. All pushed the "Caps can't go deep" narrative to the side and acted like it doesn't matter and that they aren't thinking about that.

And Niskanen was like yeah. The game changed when we didn't score on the extended 5 on 3 and follow up powerplay. The narrative exists because we keep writing it. Until we change it, it's there.

God bless you, Matt.

Definitely. It's a mental battle, not just for the caps, but for any team in the playoffs. If you're denying that, you're a fool. The bigger issues here is the loser mentality of years passed, as a player you can not dwell that as it's always going to impact your play in the present.

Climb2safety 04-18-2017 06:18 AM

Caps look like they did in the slide down the stretch, especially giving up leads.

Hats off to Toronto, and other beauty of a game winner and they've gotten better each game. The puck sure seems to be bouncing their way too.

Caps better find a way to win Wednesday.

barbogast 04-18-2017 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16769016)
Definitely. It's a mental battle, not just for the caps, but for any team in the playoffs. If you're denying that, you're a fool. The bigger issues here is the loser mentality of years passed, as a player you can not dwell that as it's always going to impact your play in the present.

I understand why players can't give in to that stuff but it was kind of relieving to see Niskanen acknowledge it. Because you know those players that have been there for a while know the history. You can't ignore it. And like he said, it exists because they keep writing it. It's gotta be hard to not let that creep in. And it shows in their play. The confidence level is once again night and day from regular season to playoffs. They've lost their swagger. They chased the first two games and then built a lead and blew it in the third. And now they're looking at at least six games to advance. Plus they're behind.

It's just a mess. And it's so typical.

barbogast 04-18-2017 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16769021)
Caps look like they did in the slide down the stretch, especially giving up leads.

Hats off to Toronto, and other beauty of a game winner and they've gotten better each game. The puck sure seems to be bouncing their way too.

Caps better find a way to win Wednesday.

That's the other consistent mark of the Caps in the playoffs. The puck luck dries up every time.

TheLastPig 04-18-2017 06:45 AM

Quote:

They were saying Murray will likely only be out a week. I think they will wait til the second round starts to put him in though regardless of tonight's outcome.

Also, just overall, it seems more than half of all the games have gone to OT, right?

Crazy this year.

unccrombie 04-18-2017 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16769031)
I understand why players can't give in to that stuff but it was kind of relieving to see Niskanen acknowledge it. Because you know those players that have been there for a while know the history. You can't ignore it. And like he said, it exists because they keep writing it. It's gotta be hard to not let that creep in. And it shows in their play. The confidence level is once again night and day from regular season to playoffs. They've lost their swagger. They chased the first two games and then built a lead and blew it in the third. And now they're looking at at least six games to advance. Plus they're behind.

It's just a mess. And it's so typical.

granted i never played professionally, but my mental struggles as a soccer player were always with other teams and not scenarios. for instance, x,y teams were always tough to play or we just never matched up well with. Those teams always carried that persona in to the game with us and it would definitely make us go, "here we go again." I wouldn't say it impacted my play, but it definitely made me more conscious to every play, positioning, etc.

Soccer is a little more "you live and die" as a team than hockey/basketball so there's a little more room for mental player error, but it's definitely something we never tolerated.

YouNeverKnow25 04-18-2017 06:46 AM

last year it was "murray's gotten you this far, you just can't switch now"

at what point does the same become true for fleury?

bradshaw06 04-18-2017 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 (Post 16769045)

Probably getting close. Though they did try some tomfoolery with fleury against tbl. I just hope fleury can stay on it.

As for kunitz, im hoping hagelin comes back first, his speed will be needed. I think hags-malkin-kessel, then rust- bonino- hornqvist would work well.

jrkarger 04-18-2017 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 (Post 16769045)

IMO... now. They're 3-0 with MAF. I wouldn't replace him until he royally screws up.

TheLastPig 04-18-2017 06:52 AM

If Murray's injury is as minor as they seem to be letting on, its still his net. I dont think you really come into that argument unless MAF plays through the second round for some reason.

Starting game 1 in the 2nd round seems like a perfect place to move back to MM if hes healthy.

bradshaw06 04-18-2017 06:54 AM

Agreed. Hopefully he is ok, i dont think he has been skating yet though.

pathetic 04-18-2017 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16768983)
It's not right now for a lot of us.

Rangers are in the same boat and that boat could sink tonight.

Bruins got screwed by really bad officiating.

Flames got burned by a better Ducks team.

Hawks are collapsing.

Penguins are....damn it Pens fans!

yeah, both should've went to the box, but Nash still can't retaliate there. Marchand and Schaller both showed pretty good restraint not retaliating after the whistle. refs were douches the whole night. I hate when they make it all about them before dropping the puck. Just drop the fucking thing and stop kicking people out. Also, B's were getting punched in the face all night and Sens never got called for it...it figures they finally punch back and get penalized

TheLastPig 04-18-2017 06:57 AM

Cant believe the Hawks blew that one last night. They are toast.