Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

jrkarger 12-08-2016 09:27 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (lolcaps)

:lol :lol

Dramageek 12-08-2016 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16661131)
yes, hockey should not celebrate goons, but the players had no choice in the matter. they had to make the best out of it which i guess they did. but the fake fight with Kane, the trolling by fans and bloggers for no reason and letting him score and win a car or whatever devalues your own sport. the trolling didn't work, it backfired when consumed by casual fans

hardcores don't care about casual fans? ok fine, but i don't want the NHL to turn into a side show. i want the NHL to be taken seriously but the sports community. if it doesn't get popular, then so be it. but that doesn't mean it has to turn into the WWE, which is exactly what happened last year thanks to it's so called "loyal" fans.

i really don't think MM plays favorites. he's asked Geno to come on his show multiple times but Geno has denied. Partly because his english still isn't great and partly because he's kind of a baby about being criticized.

:thumbsup I buy this argument. Though I feel like every league's ASG/Pro-Bowl has a side-show element to them. But the John Scott stuff was a bit much. As to popularity, I have kind of given up hope that the NHL will rise to the level of the MLB or NBA, much less the NFL. Of course, I want the NHL and hockey in general to be taken seriously because it's an amazing sport. I'll preach that to anyone who will listen. But too many people are too stuck in the mindset that "Hockey'scthat game where people skate around and punch each other" to give the game a chance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16661140)

:lol :lol Fantastic!

Pardon my crazy responses today. I'm in an all-dayCLE today and it's terrible! :lol

lockman21 12-08-2016 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16661131)
yes, hockey should not celebrate goons, but the players had no choice in the matter. they had to make the best out of it which i guess they did. but the fake fight with Kane, the trolling by fans and bloggers for no reason and letting him score and win a car or whatever devalues your own sport. the trolling didn't work, it backfired when consumed by casual fans

hardcores don't care about casual fans? ok fine, but i don't want the NHL to turn into a side show. i want the NHL to be taken seriously but the sports community. if it doesn't get popular, then so be it. but that doesn't mean it has to turn into the WWE, which is exactly what happened last year thanks to it's so called "loyal" fans.

i really don't think MM plays favorites. he's asked Geno to come on his show multiple times but Geno has denied. Partly because his english still isn't great and partly because he's kind of a baby about being criticized.

You make it seem like the players were forced to rally around Scott because they "had no choice in the matter" instead of that they actually, ya know, just did because that's what they wanted to do.

Also - give me a break. Devalues your sport? Have you seen the NBA ASG? Or the Pro Bowl? They're all nonsense fanfare. You're taking this WAY too seriously.

Roose13 12-08-2016 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16661070)
Will Sean Burke, Ken Wregget, and Dominic Rousell be there??? Ya know, the greats.

Don't forget the flying Neil Little!

hailtopitt 12-08-2016 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16661164)
You make it seem like the players were forced to rally around Scott because they "had no choice in the matter" instead of that they actually, ya know, just did because that's what they wanted to do.

Also - give me a break. Devalues your sport? Have you seen the NBA ASG? Or the Pro Bowl? They're all nonsense fanfare. You're taking this WAY too seriously.

there's nothing wrong with fanfare. i'm not really complaining about that.

the difference is that in the NBA ASG and the ProBowl, the people that are there actually, you know, deserve to be there.

the games themselves are dumb in all sports and should be scrapped IMO, but the fact that John Scott has one-time all-star on his career resumé is an absolute joke

and you're right, i am taking it too seriously most likely, and i admit that. but i was just so sick of hearing about John Scott. he's a nothing, he's a nobody. he's a dirty, unskilled bully who made a career by injuring his fellow "brotherhood". the only reason people talk about him is because of unfunny trolls and unwarranted media hype. it's a microcosm of the NHL and the reason why the sport community scoffs at hockey.

fonzz41 12-08-2016 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16661217)
and you're right, i am taking it too seriously most likely, and i admit that. but i was just so sick of hearing about John Scott. he's a nothing, he's a nobody. he's a dirty, unskilled bully who made a career by injuring his fellow "brotherhood". the only reason people talk about him is because of unfunny trolls and unwarranted media hype. it's a microcosm of the NHL and the reason why the sport community scoffs at hockey.

c'mon man, you're better than this.

hailtopitt 12-08-2016 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16661253)
c'mon man, you're better than this.

do you seriously think otherwise about him? honest question

fonzz41 12-08-2016 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16661255)
do you seriously think otherwise about him? honest question

I do. I don't know the guy; I've never chatted with him. But here's the facts: Was he perhaps one of the least-skilled hockey players in recent memory? You bet. Did he fight? Yep. As much as some? Well, over 9 seasons he was in something like 35 fights according to hockeyfights.com. That might be less than what some old-school enforcers got into in one season.

544 PIMs over 9 seasons is also not something to laugh at, but isn't near what we see from some (for reference sake, Milan Lucic has 851 over 9 seasons - granted, Looch sees WAY more ice time than Scott ever did).

Was he ever suspended? Yes, 3 times if my counting is right. Some were pretty bad (7 games for a headshot).

/facts

He definitely made his living on the rough side of the sport. He fought, he hit, he intimidated, he protected his teammates (you won't like the term "protected" but I'll use it anyway :) ).

As for the All-Star game stuff, obviously I'm just opining again, but it appears to me that his fellow players were all sorts of supportive of him. I mean, they carried him around on their shoulders after the game... was that just for show? And you call it a "staged" fight between him and Kane... was it? Looked pretty in-the-moment to me. Silly, but not some stunt by the league. To hear him tell the story of his whole ASG experience, he was put in a really awkward situation, and just decided to make the best of it. Believe him if you want, I guess. You're sick of him so I'm guessing you haven't read either of his Player Trib articles, but if you want to get his published side of the story (again, whether you believe it or not is up to you), they are available.

But even more important than that - is he a "nothing?" Absolutely not. He managed to play 9 seasons in the NHL, and he'll be the first to tell you that's crazy. Nine seasons of making more than enough money to support a family, all while playing a game. Former teammates talk about what a good teammate and guy he was. He's got a mechanical engineering degree. By all accounts he's a great dad to his four girls. Maybe by saying he was a "nothing" you were just referring to his hockey accomplishments. I hope so, because other than that he looks pretty successful to me.

And yeah, yeah, yeah, you and I have gone around the horn enough times to know we probably aren't going to change each other's minds. Still like you though. :)

hailtopitt 12-08-2016 11:34 AM

yes, me calling him a nothing was in reference to his NHL career. i do not know him personally. Nor do i blame him for the ASG debacle. wasn't his fault at all.

but the only reason he was in the league was because there was this stigma that every team needed an "enforcer" to "protect" their top tier guys. it's a bullshit narrative that was pushed onto the hockey world by the good 'ol boys up in Canada that run the league as if it's 1934. (another topic for another day)

i'm fine with people rooting for him and i'm fine with fanfare etc etc. i just think it was an embarrassment to the league and to the sport as a whole. players like that should not be glorified IMO. that doesn't mean i think he's a bad father or person :lol

also, PIM is not a good metric here because as you mentioned, TOI is a factor. as well as suspensions...i think he has like 10 career points. in 9 fucking seasons. he didn't belong in the NHL. he really was nothing but a linebacker who could kind of skate and punch.

fonzz41 12-08-2016 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16661306)
yes, me calling him a nothing was in reference to his NHL career. i do not know him personally. Nor do i blame him for the ASG debacle. wasn't his fault at all.

but the only reason he was in the league was because there was this stigma that every team needed an "enforcer" to "protect" their top tier guys. it's a bullshit narrative that was pushed onto the hockey world by the good 'ol boys up in Canada that run the league as if it's 1934. (another topic for another day)

i'm fine with people rooting for him and i'm fine with fanfare etc etc. i just think it was an embarrassment to the league and to the sport as a whole. players like that should not be glorified IMO. that doesn't mean i think he's a bad father or person :lol

also, PIM is not a good metric here because as you mentioned, TOI is a factor. as well as suspensions...i think he has like 10 career points. in 9 fucking seasons. he didn't belong in the NHL. he really was nothing but a linebacker who could kind of skate and punch.

Gotcha. :thumbsup

The great thing about Scott is I don't think he would disagree with you on the bolded.

And it was 11 career points. ELEVEN. :lol

hailtopitt 12-08-2016 11:47 AM

:lol shit i sold him short

hailtopitt 12-08-2016 11:48 AM

FACT: John Scott only has 11 more career points in the NHL than i do

let's get h2p on the ballot for this year's ASG.

TheLastPig 12-08-2016 11:50 AM

Anyone in here mention the golden knights trademark getting denied? :lol

hailtopitt 12-08-2016 11:55 AM

^^ i saw that

good, maybe they'll change it

swordo84 12-08-2016 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16661330)
^^ i saw that

good, maybe they'll change it

They wont. Foley will just pay the uni a ton of cash and this all goes away.

hailtopitt 12-08-2016 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 16661371)
They wont. Foley will just pay the uni a ton of cash and this all goes away.

yea true

such a dumb name/logo though ugh

JRS1386 12-08-2016 06:51 PM

7 straight for the Flyers, tied for the top of the Metro (granted more games played)

kev87lads 12-08-2016 07:35 PM

Now that was entertaining.

TheLastPig 12-08-2016 08:50 PM

Sid so amazing again. Seems like he will easily hit 50 goals this year

lockman21 12-08-2016 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16661306)

How many did you have?

The guy worked his fucking ass off to become a professional athlete. Whether you respect it or not, he worked and got to rarified air as a professional athlete and became a national headline.

If he's a nobody, then what the hell are you and I?

lockman21 12-08-2016 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16661322)
Anyone in here mention the golden knights trademark getting denied? :lol

Not a big deal. Something like 90+% of trademarks are denied first go-around. Just part of the process.

lockman21 12-08-2016 08:59 PM

That Giroux goal tonight was fucking filthy. Top 250 player in the league, for sure.

TMoore4075 12-09-2016 04:59 AM

In non hockey news just wanted to pass it along here, Ken Daniels the Wings tv play by play guy, lost his 23 year old son on Wednesday. Died in his sleep. Just crazy and awful. Can't imagine something like that.

Roose13 12-09-2016 05:53 AM

SEVEN!

Man, remember when Bo was dogging the Flyers because he went to a game and they stunk. How 'bout 'em now, eh?

Roose13 12-09-2016 05:56 AM

Also, McDavid was a little bitch all game yesterday. Yapping at Brandon Manning and then claiming because Manning talked shit it confirmed he tried to injure him on purpose last season. Shut up kid. You're a star. No one is out to kill you less than 2 years into your career for no reason.

Dramageek 12-09-2016 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16661956)
In non hockey news just wanted to pass it along here, Ken Daniels the Wings tv play by play guy, lost his 23 year old son on Wednesday. Died in his sleep. Just crazy and awful. Can't imagine something like that.

Damn. That is terrible. Good thoughts to the Wings organization.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16661989)
Also, McDavid was a little bitch all game yesterday. Yapping at Brandon Manning and then claiming because Manning talked shit it confirmed he tried to injure him on purpose last season. Shut up kid. You're a star. No one is out to kill you less than 2 years into your career for no reason.

Well, he has Cindy Crysby as a role model, right?! :lol

Seriously, though, the Flyers so hot right now. Too bad the Pens don't play them again until the end of February.

Also, it's crazy how close the East is right now.

salrx95 12-09-2016 06:40 AM

Hello everyone. Sorry not been around much. Life and shit. Hope everyone is enjoying their holiday season. I am thankful the Isles have righted the season. Hopefully, they can keep it going. There is still a lot of work to do.

lockman21 12-09-2016 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 16662021)
Hello everyone. Sorry not been around much. Life and shit. Hope everyone is enjoying their holiday season. I am thankful the Isles have righted the season. Hopefully, they can keep it going. There is still a lot of work to do.

While you're here, can I complain about those awful alternates the Islanders wear?

TheLastPig 12-09-2016 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16662046)
While you're here, can I complain about those awful alternates the Islanders wear?

Still better than the flyers gold numbers. God those are horrid.

Dramageek 12-09-2016 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16662046)

For a second, I was hoping they brought back these:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/14...ish_Sticks.jpg