Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

fonzz41 06-16-2016 07:39 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16468859)
I think they expect Keith and he's not that. Most aren't. He's solid and most teams would take him in a second. If you expect everyone to put up Keith numbers you are gonna be disappointed every time.

Exactly. And since I know the Avalanche could never land a Keith, I would be over the moon to get Seabrook. Great, great player.

Lcsulla 06-16-2016 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16468841)
the worst move the Hawks have made recently was giving up Daley for Scuderi

and i get the whole "Daley wasn't seeing the ice." "Daley wasn't a good fit" etc etc but man, you gotta get more in return than Scuds and his contract :lol bad trade for the Hawks

Yeah, I bet Bowman is regretting that one but with the way he was playing in Chicago dumping his contract and the 3.3mil cap hit made sense to me. Just as shipping Scuderi back to LA with his million dollar cap hit made sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16468845)
His all-around game has grown leaps and bounds, particularly in the last 2-3 seasons. Maybe the Blackhawks have such a spoil of riches on the blueline that it's hard to notice his talent, but he could be a #1 defenseman on just about any other team in the league. He's got the shot, size, skating ability, instincts... just about everything you could want. Maybe one of the top 10 d-men in the league. Easily Top 250. I would give up mucho to see him in an Avs sweater.

Yeah, he is a complete player and certainly makes my top ten D guys. I would put him up with the likes of:

Keith
Doughty
Burns
Weber
Letang
Jones
Muzzin
Oduya
Staal
Karlsson
Pietrangelo
Hedman
Byfuglien

I give honorable mention to Gostisbehere but I will have to take a pass on proclaiming him one of the best defensemen in the league simply because the is so young and no one knows how his career will go from here.

Roose13 06-16-2016 08:35 AM

I'd put Hedman closer to the top five.

TMoore4075 06-16-2016 08:37 AM

Cam Ward re-signing in Carolina for a 2 year deal at pretty cheap.

Dramageek 06-16-2016 08:41 AM

Geno might need Tommy John surgery. MRI Friday. Fuuuuck! :ugh

TMoore4075 06-16-2016 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16469074)

That could be a year+ couldn't it?

Dramageek 06-16-2016 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16469076)

I think you are correct. He would likely lose next season, or at least most of it. Geno is trying to sound optimistic that he won't need surgery, but we'll see what the MRI says.

hailtopitt 06-16-2016 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16469058)
Yeah, I bet Bowman is regretting that one but with the way he was playing in Chicago dumping his contract and the 3.3mil cap hit made sense to me. Just as shipping Scuderi back to LA with his million dollar cap hit made sense.

Yeah, he is a complete player and certainly makes my top ten D guys. I would put him up with the likes of:

Keith
Doughty
Burns
Weber
Letang
Jones
Muzzin
Oduya
Staal
Karlsson
Pietrangelo
Hedman
Byfuglien

I give honorable mention to Gostisbehere but I will have to take a pass on proclaiming him one of the best defensemen in the league simply because the is so young and no one knows how his career will go from here.

hard to argue with opinion but man, that list is a bit different than mine

i would probably have Subban in the top 10, probably over Muzzin or Jones...Muzzin couldn't even find his way into the lineup as of 2014 so sample size is small...my list, in order:

1. Doughty
2. Letang
3. Weber
4. Keith
5. Hedman
6. Karlsson
7. Klingberg
8. Subban
9. Burns
10. Ekman-Larsson

hailtopitt 06-16-2016 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16469074)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16469076)

yea that's not a good surgery to need but it does explain his lack of explosiveness on his shot and his overall ineffectiveness

however, i don't see 1 year+ for him

it's not the same as a pitcher needing it on a throwing arm...hoping for the best though

TMoore4075 06-16-2016 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16469081)
I think you are correct. He would likely lose next season, or at least most of it. Geno is trying to sound optimistic that he won't need surgery, but we'll see what the MRI says.

Damn. I know people want to give him shit for not always on his game but you'd rather have him than not. Don't hear this too often in hockey.

jrkarger 06-16-2016 08:51 AM

Not surprised. He clearly wasn't himself during the playoffs. Where did you read it was Tommy John?

Lcsulla 06-16-2016 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16467955)
Boo political stuff in the nhl thread! Boo, I say!

Did you actually see that butt ass ugly logo?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16469061)
I'd put Hedman closer to the top five.

Agreed. I was just listing the best defensemen in the league in no particular order. Hell, people think Seabrook is under-rated due to the solid Chicago D corps but look at a guy like Hjalmarsson who gets virtually no attention despite the fact that he is one of the best pure defenders in the NHL.

Dramageek 06-16-2016 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16469095)
Damn. I know people want to give him shit for not always on his game but you'd rather have him than not. Don't hear this too often in hockey.

I think everyone knew he came back way early from his March injury and was playing fairly hurt. But I'd hate for him to lose a prime year of his career. I haven't heard of many athletes outside of pitchers getting Tommy John, so his elbow must have gotten severely jacked up in March.

Dramageek 06-16-2016 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16469099)
Not surprised. He clearly wasn't himself during the playoffs. Where did you read it was Tommy John?

Josh Yohe from DK on Pittsburgh Sports. Though maybe he's just using it as a general term for elbow surgery.

TheLastPig 06-16-2016 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16469101)
Did you actually see that butt ass ugly logo?

Really? I think thats actually kind of a cool logo, could use a few tweaks but looks pretty sweet to me.

coldengrey12 06-16-2016 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16467882)
Good god this idea of PC gone crazy is vomit inducing: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/qu...-crest-change/

I used to think the Blackhawks sweater was pretty awesome until a Native American told me that they see the severed head of an ancestor.

Since then, I haven't been able to unsee it his way. :shrug So I'm kinda OK with something different.

hailtopitt 06-16-2016 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16469103)
I think everyone knew he came back way early from his March injury and was playing fairly hurt. But I'd hate for him to lose a prime year of his career. I haven't heard of many athletes outside of pitchers getting Tommy John, so his elbow must have gotten severely jacked up in March.

yea it was definitely from that awkward injury in March...was never the same after that...howver, that injury birthed the HBK line so i can't be too mad :lol

and let's not forget that Malkin tore his ACL and MCL a few years back. so this would be his 2nd major surgery meaning he's already missed a lot of his prime

Dramageek 06-16-2016 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16469117)
yea it was definitely from that awkward injury in March...was never the same after that...howver, that injury birthed the HBK line so i can't be too mad :lol

and let's not forget that Malkin tore his ACL and MCL a few years back. so this would be his 2nd major surgery meaning he's already missed a lot of his prime

:thumbsup to all of this. Definitely not complaining about the HBK line. I remember thinking the Pens were fucked upon reading about the Malkin injury. Then HBK happened and I thought, "Well, this is a nice development." :lol

TheLastPig 06-16-2016 09:01 AM

Bonino played with an Elbow infection in the final and had a bad fever. That sounds awful.

Rutherford on goalies "In a perfect world we would like to keep Matt and Fluery."
That sure sounds like they dont have many options and will probably have to do something with Marc-Andre.

Its still hard for me to believe they wont stick with both guys at least through the trade deadline next year.

hailtopitt 06-16-2016 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldengrey12 (Post 16469113)
I used to think the Blackhawks sweater was pretty awesome until a Native American told me that they see the severed head of an ancestor.

Since then, I haven't been able to unsee it his way. :shrug So I'm kinda OK with something different.

i'm not sure why it's all of a sudden a "severed" head

that's like saying the Fighting Irish logo reminds me of one of my drunken ancestor who drank himself to death during the potato famine

it's a ridiculous jump to make

hailtopitt 06-16-2016 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16469123)
Bonino played with an Elbow infection in the final and had a bad fever. That sounds awful.

Rutherford on goalies "In a perfect world we would like to keep Matt and Fluery."
That sure sounds like they dont have many options and will probably have to do something with Marc-Andre.

Its still hard for me to believe they wont stick with both guys at least through the trade deadline next year.

aren't they still right up against the cap though? i mean, Lovejoy probably leaves and cashes in somewhere else. Matt Cullen probably retires. and we'll see about Shultz...but if they keep both guys they will have almost no wiggle room for additions via FA signing

i guess Scott Wilson and Derek Pouliot step in

TheLastPig 06-16-2016 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16469131)
aren't they still right up against the cap though? i mean, Lovejoy probably leaves and cashes in somewhere else. Matt Cullen probably retires. and we'll see about Shultz...but if they keep both guys they will have almost no wiggle room for additions via FA signing

i guess Scott Wilson and Derek Pouliot step in

I guess GMJR also told Cullen he wants him back and to take his time deciding.

And he made a comment about "Lovejoy deserves a raise." So I would guess that means he leaves town.

I think they will find a way to sign Schultz. But regardless, im good with Pouliot and Wilson stepping in, not to mention Sprong who seems like he would excel in this system.

hailtopitt 06-16-2016 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16469147)
I guess GMJR also told Cullen he wants him back and to take his time deciding.

And he made a comment about "Lovejoy deserves a raise." So I would guess that means he leaves town.

I think they will find a way to sign Schultz. But regardless, im good with Pouliot and Wilson stepping in, not to mention Sprong who seems like he would excel in this system.

and Sundqvist

should be some healthy competition at camp which is good

TheLastPig 06-16-2016 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16469156)
and Sundqvist

should be some healthy competition at camp which is good

If Cullen is gone that is Sundqvist's spot to take. But yeah, lots of talented young forwards vying for just a few spots. Thats always a good thing,

jrkarger 06-16-2016 09:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16469124)
i'm not sure why it's all of a sudden a "severed" head

that's like saying the Fighting Irish logo reminds me of one of my drunken ancestor who drank himself to death during the potato famine

it's a ridiculous jump to make

This is so dumb.

What does said Native American see when he/she sees these:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...s_logo.svg.png

http://kccollegegameday.com/wp-conte...chiefOandR.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Braves.svg.png

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...hiefs_logo.svg

http://montebellopaal.com/wp-content.../sdsu-logo.png

Lcsulla 06-16-2016 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16469087)

i would probably have Subban in the top 10, probably over Muzzin or Jones...Muzzin couldn't even find his way into the lineup as of 2014 so sample size is small...my list, in order:

1. Doughty
2. Letang
3. Weber
4. Keith
5. Hedman
6. Karlsson
7. Klingberg
8. Subban
9. Burns
10. Ekman-Larsson

I agree that debating opinions is pointless but there is no way in hell Subban makes it near my top twenty. He is over-rated as hell, largely due to his postseason success. He averages a point ever other game, which I could overlook if he didn't average well over a penalty per game. He is not that great a skater and on defense he is mediocre at best. Lastly, he is one of those annoying players who show off with stupid gimmicks but lack the skill to back up his pretensions.

Quote:

I do not see that at all, in fact I view it more as a tribute than anything. The Blackhawks were founded by a major in the 86th infantry division (nicknamed the Blackhawk Division in honor of a fallen (KIA) member of the Sauk tribe) in WW1. Additionally, there is loads of history and traditions of the Sauk tribe in Illinois

TMoore4075 06-16-2016 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16469123)

I expected them to keep both through this year but being right up against the cap, maybe they look to move MAF this summer. Give yourself that flexibility to add if needed. He's gone this summer or before the expansion draft next summer. Goalies aren't usually dealt at the deadline and unless you got a hell of a return why wouldn't you keep him through the playoffs just in case?

fonzz41 06-16-2016 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16469087)

1. Doughty
2. Letang
3. Weber
4. Keith
5. Hedman
6. Karlsson
7. Klingberg
8. Subban
9. Burns
10. Ekman-Larsson

Ooh what an exciting topic for me.

My Top 10 (and I don't like actual listed rankings, so you just get the whole group :lol):

Weber
Keith
Doughty
Suter
Hedman
Ekman-Larsson
Letang
Pietrangelo
Karlsson
Seabrook

Honorable mention to (in other words 10-16):
Klingberg
Carlson
Ekblad
Vlasic
Burns, when he gives a damn
Hjalmarsson (he would maybe a top 5 if we were doing top 10 stay at home D-men)

Subban wouldn't even enter my top 30.

jrkarger 06-16-2016 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16469197)
I expected them to keep both through this year but being right up against the cap, maybe they look to move MAF this summer. Give yourself that flexibility to add if needed. He's gone this summer or before the expansion draft next summer. Goalies aren't usually dealt at the deadline and unless you got a hell of a return why wouldn't you keep him through the playoffs just in case?

MAF has a no trade clause. Nobody knows if that means he's automatically protected in an expansion draft. If he is, and he's not your #1 guy then you are obviously losing a protection slot on someone who doesn't start; a protection that could go to someone else.

If his no trade doesn't mean automatic protection and he gets drafted by the Las Vegas Glitz then you get nothing in return.

There have been rumors his agent is going to request a trade this offseason.
He has the highest value probably right now if you are committing to Murray as your guy.

fonzz41 06-16-2016 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16469205)
MAF has a no trade clause. Nobody knows if that means he's automatically protected in an expansion draft. If he is, and he's not your #1 guy then you are obviously losing a protection slot on someone who doesn't start; a protection that could go to someone else.

If his no trade doesn't mean automatic protection and he gets drafted by the Las Vegas Glitz then you get nothing in return.

There have been rumors his agent is going to request a trade this offseason.
He has the highest value probably right now if you are committing to Murray as your guy.

And didn't MAF just have the best regular season of his career? At 31, his value isn't going to be much higher than it is right now.

I know Murray's young and relatively untested, but I say if they're going to move MAF, the time is now. Get a high return for him, maybe sign a steady veteran-ish backup, and move forward with Murray as your guy.