Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

TMoore4075 03-17-2016 01:16 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

I think Ghost gets it. Larkin does have a good all around game but offensively has fallen off recently.

fonzz41 03-17-2016 01:26 PM

And for our Canes fan - while I don't think Hanifin and Slavin are having quite Calder-worthy seasons (which, in the end, it's just a trophy anyways!), they certainly deserve to be included in the "rookies with loads of potential" category.

kev87lads 03-17-2016 01:49 PM

I actually think the Flyers match up best with the Caps. They seem to be able to hang with them the most for whatever reason. A 3 goal Caps win a while back. Then 2 one goal games. (split) And they play each other again in a couple of weeks.

hailtopitt 03-17-2016 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16338623)
I actually think the Flyers match up best with the Caps. They seem to be able to hang with them the most for whatever reason. A 3 goal Caps win a while back. Then 2 one goal games. (split) And they play each other again in a couple of weeks.

again, i'm not saying the Flyers can't beat them, i'm just saying the Pens matchup way better

i don't see Philly having the goaltending to keep the Caps' power play at bay

i'd see the Caps overwhelming the Flyers by game 5 or 6 whereas i'd see a series against the Pens going 7 and i'd probably pick the Pens to win it

c33dmb 03-17-2016 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16338591)
And for our Canes fan - while I don't think Hanifin and Slavin are having quite Calder-worthy seasons (which, in the end, it's just a trophy anyways!), they certainly deserve to be included in the "rookies with loads of potential" category.

I can settle for honorable mention. :lol

Neither of them have played their way onto the level of the three mentioned previously. Hanifin and Slavin were both very solid, but didn't put up the numbers to really get in the conversation. And Slavin only really got on a tear once Faulk got hurt.

barbogast 03-17-2016 04:10 PM

Caps will beat any of the PA teams. Book it.

Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.

fonzz41 03-17-2016 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c33dmb (Post 16338712)
I can settle for honorable mention. :lol

Neither of them have played their way onto the level of the three mentioned previously. Hanifin and Slavin were both very solid, but didn't put up the numbers to really get in the conversation. And Slavin only really got on a tear once Faulk got hurt.

Yeah, for rookies they've been great. People forget that 98% of NHL defensemen take 3-ish seasons to really adjust to the NHL game. And that's totally fine. Not everyone can be Aaron Ekblad.

barbogast 03-17-2016 04:27 PM

Panarin's gonna win the Calder. There's several really impressive rookies this year, but it's Panarin.

edit: I'll even say I agree with Matty that Larkin's two way game is more impressive than any of the rest and that he very well could prove to be the best player overall career wise, but the nhl awards are all about flash and offense these days. Hence why Subban has won the Norris. Again, it's Panarin's Calder this year

aeroshady 03-17-2016 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16338749)

:lol Don't worry, I actually agree here and I have not started to drink yet.

Anything can happen in the playoffs, but I don't see either Philly or Pitt knocking out the Caps.

Honestly, the only team in the Met I see those teams being able to knock out in Round 1 is the Icelanders...and only because the Icelanders have not won a playoff series in over 2 decades.

I personally would love to see the Pens in round 1. I think the Rangers would win that series in 5 or 6.

Philly would worry me more to be honest. Could see that going 7.

barbogast 03-17-2016 04:34 PM

I don't really have a ton of faith against any team honestly. I could very easily see the Caps flaming out in round 1. Wouldn't surprise at all. Doesn't matter who they play.

aeroshady 03-17-2016 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16338765)
I don't really have a ton of faith against any team honestly. I could very easily see the Caps flaming out in round 1. Wouldn't surprise at all. Doesn't matter who they play.

Geez man, and you all call me the pessimist! I truly believe the Caps will get out of the first round.

Hell, I would be surprised if the Rangers don't get out of the first round, and I am always melting about them!

barbogast 03-17-2016 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 16338774)
Geez man, and you all call me the pessimist! I truly believe the Caps will get out of the first round.

Hell, I would be surprised if the Rangers don't get out of the first round, and I am always melting about them!

:lol yeah I guess I am kinda pessimistic when it comes to playoffs

I mean, there's a lot of history that tells me to be real cautious about Caps and expectations

lockman21 03-17-2016 05:50 PM

I don't see how you don't give Panarin the Calder.

No offense to the other guys like Larkin, etc., but Panarin is the clear winner.

TMoore4075 03-17-2016 06:21 PM

Alright Pens, do your job on Saturday.

Lcsulla 03-17-2016 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16338749)

Yup, they will beat any teams in HI or AK too! :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16338760)
Panarin's gonna win the Calder. There's several really impressive rookies this year, but it's Panarin.

edit: I'll even say I agree with Matty that Larkin's two way game is more impressive than any of the rest and that he very well could prove to be the best player overall career wise, but the nhl awards are all about flash and offense these days. Hence why Subban has won the Norris. Again, it's Panarin's Calder this year

That is not entirely fair to Panarin, he is not only having a good season for a rookie he is having a good season for anyone. I take your point about flash and panache but if you look over his stats he is in the top 25 of every meaningful offensive category.

kev87lads 03-17-2016 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16338851)
Alright Pens, do your job on Saturday.

Hey man. Shut it! Again.

barbogast 03-17-2016 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16338858)
Yup, they will beat any teams in HI or AK too! :lol

That is not entirely fair to Panarin, he is not only having a good season for a rookie he is having a good season for anyone. I take your point about flash and panache but if you look over his stats he is in the top 25 of every meaningful offensive category.

You're right. Panarin is a very deserving candidate.

c33dmb 03-17-2016 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16338757)
Yeah, for rookies they've been great. People forget that 98% of NHL defensemen take 3-ish seasons to really adjust to the NHL game. And that's totally fine. Not everyone can be Aaron Ekblad.

:thumbsup

Now let's hope our 6 picks in the first 3 rounds get players of similar calibre. I think Francis has turned out to be pretty shrewd with player development.

dmbetc 03-17-2016 08:52 PM

Dustin with a goal in each of the last 3 games. His off the ice work is finally paying off.
https://twitter.com/LAKings/status/710664497220833280

dmbetc 03-17-2016 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16338329)
So happy my one team (Rangers) helped out my other team (Kings) last night. Tonight's game needs to go to OT so I can be happy for both and Kings pull out the W.

My wish came true!

aeroshady 03-17-2016 10:19 PM

That was basically the Stanley Cup Finals all over. Even when the Rangers were up 3-1 I said to my parents "Wow, I hope the Rangers just get a point out of this." The Rangers are still not really able to handle the top of the west.

Also, sorry to our local Kings fan (and sort of Rangers fan), but I really despise the Kings more than I ever thought possible. Kings are 100% my most hated team in the NHL now. I even took pleasure in the Devils beating them last week. I would rather see the Flyers win the cup at this point.

fonzz41 03-17-2016 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16338760)

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16338829)
I don't see how you don't give Panarin the Calder.

No offense to the other guys like Larkin, etc., but Panarin is the clear winner.

Panarin will win, I have very little doubt. And that's fine. His play merits the recognition.

But in the end, I like talking more about who I would LIKE to see win rather than who WILL win. I know, how selfish, right? But in many cases it's hard to determine who should win a particular award. I mean, with the Norris, do you go for the point getters (Karlsson), or the staunch defenders (Suter)? So for me, I just like to identify whose game I like the most, and then give them accolades for it. And you know me and my tastes, so it should be no surprise I like Larkin's game more than Panarin's. Not a knock on Panarin, just preference. To me, that's a more fun conversation than predicting who actually will win what is in all actuality, a pretty meaningless award.

JRS1386 03-18-2016 03:49 AM

Ghost Bear will win you racists

Lcsulla 03-18-2016 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16339013)
But in the end, I like talking more about who I would LIKE to see win rather than who WILL win. I know, how selfish, right?

I wouldn't say it is selfish at all, it is no different than a healthy debate/discussion about who will win an MVP award, a Conn Smyth, a golden glove, a golden ball (world Cup) or any other personal award in sports where stats don't figure in quite as much as say a batting average champion, a passing leader, a rushing leader or who tallies the most points in a given season. If anything we are lucky to be having this discussion because these guys have added so much talent to the NHL - which frankly does not get the recognition of the NBA, NFL or MLB. It is great for the league to have all these new guys add their skill to the NHL. That said, I think McDavid would be the runaway winner if he did not suffer an injury.

I think the norris debate will be good too!

TMoore4075 03-18-2016 08:04 AM

The thing that might keep Panarin from it, is that the writers will look at who he plays for. "The Hawks make anyone look good" will be the argument. No matter how unfair that might be, we know it happens. It's like coach of the year. The Presidents Trophy winner rarely gets it. It's usually the coach of a team who sucked last year and is good this year or just a team that was expected to be worse than they actually were this year.

~Crashintome89~ 03-18-2016 08:28 AM

isn't Panarin like 69 years old?

Lcsulla 03-18-2016 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16339191)
The thing that might keep Panarin from it, is that the writers will look at who he plays for. "The Hawks make anyone look good" will be the argument. No matter how unfair that might be, we know it happens. It's like coach of the year. The Presidents Trophy winner rarely gets it. It's usually the coach of a team who sucked last year and is good this year or just a team that was expected to be worse than they actually were this year.

Problem is that the writers largely knows squat about hockey and are often biased against certain teams. You could make the same argument about guys who make their debut on the Caps, the Rangers, the Kings, the Ducks, etc, etc - doesn't mean their misgivings have any weight. These are the same type pf idiots who gave an MVP award to Joe Dimaggio in 1941 instead of Ted Williams who hit .406 or the morons who think Ripken's streak is more impressive than Gehrig's or the mental midgets who awarded a golden glove to Rafael Palmeiro over Tino Martinez - somehow overlooking the fact that Palmiero only played 28 games in the field. In the NFL they have the same nitwhits who constantly claim Tom Brady gets more credit than he deserves. The writers are pathetic, better to let the league or the players cast the votes IMO.

Lcsulla 03-18-2016 08:37 AM

Also, it is the players who make the team look good, not the other way around!

TMoore4075 03-18-2016 10:58 AM

Kronwall could be back Saturday and Howard might start. Both are surprising. Wasn't expecting Kronner back so soon and assumed Mrazek would be healthy (was ill last night) for tomorrow. Howie has played well recently and looked calm and collected last night. The best he's looked since early in the season. If he leads them down the stretch, whether they make it into the playoffs or not, it'll be interesting to see what happens in goal. I still think they keep Mrazek over him. Youth will win out but Howie playing well could help trade value so a positive there too.

fonzz41 03-18-2016 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16339191)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16339236)
Problem is that the writers largely knows squat about hockey and are often biased against certain teams. You could make the same argument about guys who make their debut on the Caps, the Rangers, the Kings, the Ducks, etc, etc - doesn't mean their misgivings have any weight. These are the same type pf idiots who gave an MVP award to Joe Dimaggio in 1941 instead of Ted Williams who hit .406 or the morons who think Ripken's streak is more impressive than Gehrig's or the mental midgets who awarded a golden glove to Rafael Palmeiro over Tino Martinez - somehow overlooking the fact that Palmiero only played 28 games in the field. In the NFL they have the same nitwhits who constantly claim Tom Brady gets more credit than he deserves. The writers are pathetic, better to let the league or the players cast the votes IMO.

Yes, market definitely does play a part in it, either in favor of the player or against him.

For example, I'd love to see what the Calder talk would be like if Max Domi played for the Hawks, Rangers, etc. instead of the Coyotes.