Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

TMoore4075 02-29-2016 12:14 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 16318829)
Stempniak to Boston, apparently.

This dude is traded like every deadline.

Lcsulla 02-29-2016 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16318811)
Agreed. And the hope should be that maybe Drouin turns his attitude around by not being traded. And in that case, the potential with Drouin is better than probably anything else they would have acquired.

Not only that, but trading him now means unknown when the picks acquired would be. If they wait until the draft, at least they know exactly what # the pick would be if they get a 1st or 2nd's in return. Huge difference between getting pick #18 and pick #30.

Completely agree on all counts - hopefully he will mature a bit after getting knocked down a peg!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16318821)
Looks like Hawks tried to move Bickell. No takers though.

Perfect example of what happens when you don't perform up to your contract. Yeah, you get paid short-term, but he's now stuck in the AHL and likely ruined his reputation forever. If he signed a $2m shorter term deal like Shaw did, Bickell probably still in Chicago.

Would you take on Bickell if you were a GM? I sure as hell wouldn't! As for Shaw, he is no superstar at all but I love the way he plays so gritty, knows his role to support and protect the impact players and is smart enough to take a smaller contract to stay on a contender.

dmbetc 02-29-2016 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16318830)
Ugh, one of the worst days of my life.

Standing at my TV with my hockey bag over my shoulder, sticks in hand...I had a game that was RIGHT after the Hawks. As soon as the Kings scored, I ran out the door, and ran basically a mile with my bag and sticks (anyone here that plays hockey knows how heavy those bags are) down Madison Ave. in Chicago to Johnny's East. Past all the bars of dejected Hawks fans...

Get to the rink...fucking zamboni is broken. Game cancelled. Had to then turn around and walk right back home. So depressing.

:hug:hug

lockman21 02-29-2016 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16318836)
Would you take on Bickell if you were a GM? I sure as hell wouldn't! As for Shaw, he is no superstar at all but I love the way he plays so gritty, knows his role to support and protect the impact players and is smart enough to take a smaller contract to stay on a contender.

I mean, I always reference this, but the Leafs traded David Clarkson. It's not always so cut and dry.

I could have seen a team take him on when they know they aren't going to compete next year. One of the things teams are now offering to contenders is cap space as a trading piece. Like, we'll take on this salary for you for a draft pick, type deal.

So I could see a team with cap room, a young team, and working through a rebuild (Toronto, for example) taking on Bickell and a 2nd for a 4th rounder or something. So they improve their draft slot so Chicago has more cap space. Something like that.

Bickell has always had the right attitude, as much as I hate watching him play hockey. He'd be a good mentor for a young team that wants to win. Bickell's been there before, played and performed on the biggest stage hockey has to offer. That has some value even if he's about a 0.25 point per game big guy that doesn't hit anyone.

lockman21 02-29-2016 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16318838)
:hug:hug

:lol:lol I don't wanna hear it!

fonzz41 02-29-2016 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirBobalew (Post 16318829)
Stempniak to Boston, apparently.

Wouldn't be a trade deadline without Stempniak getting moved.

EDIT: And Versteeg.

lockman21 02-29-2016 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16318850)
Wouldn't be a trade deadline without Stempniak getting moved.

As is tradition.

dmbetc 02-29-2016 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16318848)
:lol:lol I don't wanna hear it!

Didn't think you'd accept my royal hugs.

Lcsulla 02-29-2016 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16318830)
Ugh, one of the worst days of my life.

Standing at my TV with my hockey bag over my shoulder, sticks in hand...I had a game that was RIGHT after the Hawks. As soon as the Kings scored, I ran out the door, and ran basically a mile with my bag and sticks (anyone here that plays hockey knows how heavy those bags are) down Madison Ave. in Chicago to Johnny's East. Past all the bars of dejected Hawks fans...

Get to the rink...fucking zamboni is broken. Game cancelled. Had to then turn around and walk right back home. So depressing.

Wow, that sucks majorly. Talk about adding insult to injury! That game is right up there with the 2 worst sports moments of my life (not including games I played in that we blew) - one was seeing Tom Brady get SACKED by Charles Woodson and fumbling the ball only to see the call on the field overturned based on a rule so absurd they changed it in the off season. The other was the 2001 World Series. NY had come back to win the DS against Oakland after being down 2 games to none and then smacking down the 116 win Mariners in a 5 game ALCS - a WS crown seemed almost preordained after the events of 9/11 in the city. Yanks were up 2 runs in game 7, Rivera had just mowed down the side in the 8th and then gave up 3 runs in the 9th. We had champagne on the table ready to celebrate a 4-peat and once Mo threw that ball into centerfield it sucked the life out of the room even though the Yanks could still have kept it tied and gone to extras. Just not to be, fucking Luis steroid Gonzalez.......

Edited for clarity

TMoore4075 02-29-2016 12:24 PM

Clarkson was traded because they had to take on Nathan Horton's essentially worthless contract. Leafs came into the perfect storm. Clarkson needed out and Jackets couldn't pay Horton not to play, while the Leafs could.

Drouis and his agent really screwed this thing up. I understand wanting out because you weren't playing and you see other players drafted with you starting to get paid. Should have kept it behind the scenes and just played in the AHL. He's not doing himself any favors right now. He just need to say, sorry, I'll go and play in Syracuse.

Lcsulla 02-29-2016 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16318847)
I mean, I always reference this, but the Leafs traded David Clarkson. It's not always so cut and dry.

I could have seen a team take him on when they know they aren't going to compete next year. One of the things teams are now offering to contenders is cap space as a trading piece. Like, we'll take on this salary for you for a draft pick, type deal.

So I could see a team with cap room, a young team, and working through a rebuild (Toronto, for example) taking on Bickell and a 2nd for a 4th rounder or something. So they improve their draft slot so Chicago has more cap space. Something like that.

Bickell has always had the right attitude, as much as I hate watching him play hockey. He'd be a good mentor for a young team that wants to win. Bickell's been there before, played and performed on the biggest stage hockey has to offer. That has some value even if he's about a 0.25 point per game big guy that doesn't hit anyone.

True, I could see him being a good veteran presence on a young team and mentoring them with his experience. I have nothing against him as a person at all, his lack of production (and his pricetag) drive me insane!

TMoore4075 02-29-2016 12:31 PM

While I'm surprised some guys weren't moved (Hamuis and Vrbata for instance) I'm not totally surprised as so many people seem to be on twitter. The standings are tighter than they've ever been, cap space or lack of makes it tougher to make moves, plus because of the cap, youth is so much more valuable. I mean some 35-year old over the hill guy who is making millions or a 21-year old making $875k? Draft and offseason is where things happen now.

Lcsulla 02-29-2016 12:34 PM

I am in CT so I don't get all that much Hawks coverage, any word on the status of Hossa? Getting him back for the stretch run would be a big lift to an already great team.

lockman21 02-29-2016 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16318855)
Clarkson was traded because they had to take on Nathan Horton's essentially worthless contract. Leafs came into the perfect storm. Clarkson needed out and Jackets couldn't pay Horton not to play, while the Leafs could.

Oh, totally understand the situation there, my point was...anything is possible. Everyone viewed Clarkson as an "untradeable" contract, but things are never that black and white. There's so many variables, like Nathan Horton. Not saying the Hawks would do the same thing, just that things aren't always so simple.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16318863)
While I'm surprised some guys weren't moved (Hamuis and Vrbata for instance) I'm not totally surprised as so many people seem to be on twitter. The standings are tighter than they've ever been, cap space or lack of makes it tougher to make moves, plus because of the cap, youth is so much more valuable. I mean some 35-year old over the hill guy who is making millions or a 21-year old making $875k? Draft and offseason is where things happen now.

It seems like Vancouver was asking way too much for both their movable pieces. Shame for them in the long run, really. That whole organization is a mess.

lockman21 02-29-2016 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16318868)
I am in CT so I don't get all that much Hawks coverage, any word on the status of Hossa? Getting him back for the stretch run would be a big lift to an already great team.

He's close. Not traveling to Detroit/Boston, but will probably be back this weekend at home against Detroit.

fonzz41 02-29-2016 12:42 PM

Well, at least my team made some solid moves today that I can be reasonably excited about.

Other than that, boring deadline day. I didn't expect much, but definitely more than this.

lockman21 02-29-2016 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16318877)
Well, at least my team made some solid moves today that I can be reasonably excited about.

Other than that, boring deadline day. I didn't expect much, but definitely more than this.

Really thought we'd see one bigger name no one is talking about. Jeff Skinner or something.

fonzz41 02-29-2016 12:54 PM

Looks like ANA was able to acquire McGinn at the last moment. Conditional 3rd rounder. Not bad.

Lcsulla 02-29-2016 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16318876)
He's close. Not traveling to Detroit/Boston, but will probably be back this weekend at home against Detroit.

Sweet, great to hear. While he is not a pure talent like Kane he is going to be good for us down the stretch. Pretty sure it is fair to say that last season no team got as big a boost as Chicago did when he returned from his injury.

Gotta love how the top three lines will look when Hossa Returns:

Ladd/Toews/Hossa
Panarin/Anisimov/Kane
Shawn/Panik/Tervanian

Hopefully Kruger will be back for the forth line too to solidify that unit with Mashinter and Rasmussen. Plus their defense is great and Crawford never gets the credit he deserves!

lockman21 02-29-2016 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16318905)
Sweet, great to hear. While he is not a pure talent like Kane he is going to be good for us down the stretch. Pretty sure it is fair to say that last season no team got as big a boost as Chicago did when he returned from his injury.

Gotta love how the top three lines will look when Hossa Returns:

Ladd/Toews/Hossa
Panarin/Anisimov/Kane
Shawn/Panik/Tervanian

Hopefully Kruger will be back for the forth line too to solidify that unit with Mashinter and Rasmussen. Plus their defense is great and Crawford never gets the credit he deserves!

This is more likely:
Ladd--Toews--Hossa
Panarin--Anisimov--Kane
Fleischmann--Teravainen--Weise
Desjardins--Kruger--Shaw

Q and Bowman have gone on record saying they want Teravainen playing center, which is why they got Weise. I could see Shaw playing on that 3rd line too with TT and Weise.

As for Hossa, this is one of my favorite hockey articles ever:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/is...hall-of-famer/

Quote:

...here’s the thing: I’ve asked a few people in the hockey world about Hossa, and whenever I do, their eyes light up. They gush about him. The level of respect for his game may be as high as any active player I can think of.
Hossa is and always will be what I love about hockey. As fun as Kane is to watch, and much as he makes my jaw drop...Hossa and Toews are prime examples of guys that play the game RIGHT. They get the respect they do for a reason. I love everything about him. Lots of people still don't understand entirely what he brings. He's still, at 37, one of the best two-way forwards in the game.

Lcsulla 02-29-2016 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16318918)
This is more likely:
Ladd--Toews--Hossa
Panarin--Anisimov--Kane
Fleischmann--Teravainen--Weise
Desjardins--Kruger--Shaw

Q and Bowman have gone on record saying they want Teravainen playing center, which is why they got Weise. I could see Shaw playing on that 3rd line too with TT and Weise.

As for Hossa, this is one of my favorite hockey articles ever:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/is...hall-of-famer/

Hossa is and always will be what I love about hockey. As fun as Kane is to watch, and much as he makes my jaw drop...Hossa and Toews are prime examples of guys that play the game RIGHT. They get the respect they do for a reason. I love everything about him. Lots of people still don't understand entirely what he brings. He's still, at 37, one of the best two-way forwards in the game.

Honesty, you never know with Q, he changes it up quite often to benefit the team. Hell, look at some of those games where he had Panarin/Toews/Kane playing on the top line in 5 on 5 situations backed up by both Keith and Seabrook, that is just a devastating combination of talent on one line. Agreed on Hossa being one of the great two way players, I would also say Toews is up there too and Kane has finally changed his game to be more of a two way player as well.

fonzz41 02-29-2016 01:17 PM

Man, as an Avs fan you can't help but be at least sort of excited by this lineup. They need to fill up on experience, of course, but in terms of gathering complementary pieces to fill roles, this is pretty exciting:

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Boedker (Sakic has already said this is the plan)
Grigorenko - Duchene - Iginla
Comeau - Soderberg - Matthias
McLeod - Mitchell - Skille

Beauchemin - Johnson
Barrie - Holden
Gelinas - Bigras/Bodnarchuk

And then with Rantanen and Zadorov maybe needing another year of development, this team is in a pretty good situation.

Not a Cup winning team this year... but getting there. You can see how deliberate most of their moves have been.

fonzz41 02-29-2016 01:35 PM

Might still see something fun:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 2m2 minutes ago Chiarelli says the Oilers have a trade...lined up in central registry. The Flames also expected to have something. Sounds like a long line.

c33dmb 02-29-2016 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16318783)
:lol When that feature was first added to this site, there was a thread of people "bragging" about their shows, so I just added a shit ton to mock them a little.

:lol I figured it was a sham, but I'm not the type to call people out. I scrolled through it and remembered giggling at the one at Dakar in Senegal.

On the subject of Liles, that was unexpected. He had really been doing well in the past couple of months. I'm not sure how much 3rd and 5th round picks are worth, but it doesn't sound like much.

I just hope all of this is building up to a mega Faulk/Hanifin/Slavin/Pesce/J. Staal signing spree.

JRS1386 02-29-2016 02:46 PM

Sort of glad that the Flyers did nothing. Was hoping they would dump some of their poorer contracts, but oh well HExtall can't do everything

Roose13 02-29-2016 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16319053)
Sort of glad that the Flyers did nothing. Was hoping they would dump some of their poorer contracts, but oh well HExtall can't do everything

I basically wanted them to be sellers but knew I wasn't going to be mad with no movement at all. Just glad Hextall is continuing to stand with his beliefs and that's patience.

lockman21 02-29-2016 04:13 PM

Mike Commodore's Twitter has been absolute gold today.

https://twitter.com/commie22/status/704401911357702144

lockman21 02-29-2016 04:23 PM

Wow does Benning look AWFUL today. Really wish we had a Canucks fan here.

Hamhuis said he would have waived to go to Chicago or Dallas. I can't believe they're walking away empty handed. That organization is such garbage. It goes way beyond their screw up the Luongo/Schneider situation.

dmbetc 02-29-2016 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16319137)
Mike Commodore's Twitter has been absolute gold today.

https://twitter.com/commie22/status/704401911357702144

:lol:lol

salrx95 02-29-2016 05:17 PM

Boring trade deadline. Not too much exciting.

Disappointed islanders didn't do anything important but it was expected. We aren't good enough to make noise as is and could have used some help but not having a second round pick sure likely hurt our chances.