Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

lockman21 02-26-2015 05:03 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

I guess that's the breaks being a small market team...can't afford to pay a guy to not play.

Rebecca De Mornay 02-26-2015 05:08 PM

i actually think CBJ is a much better fit for Clarkson in terms of style of play, either way every point he picks up will be one more than horton ever would have produced.

TMoore4075 02-26-2015 05:32 PM

Feel a little bad for Clarkson. Went to TO to go home and now is in Columbus. It wasn't working though.

lockman21 02-26-2015 05:34 PM

Hearing the Hawks are in major talks with Carolina for Jeff Skinner...

Rebecca De Mornay 02-26-2015 05:36 PM

clarkson actually sounded excited.

dmbetc 02-26-2015 05:44 PM

:lol think he would actually sound disappointed?

Rebecca De Mornay 02-26-2015 05:46 PM

i remember the way carter and gaborik sounded when they got traded here

lockman21 02-26-2015 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15844363)
i actually think CBJ is a much better fit for Clarkson in terms of style of play, either way every point he picks up will be one more than horton ever would have produced.

I get that, but that's just money, in terms of cap space, that could have been used in free agency on someone better than Clarkson, or a roster spot on a prospect. Whichever way you wanna look at it.

But I do get their side. Toronto has a lot more cash flow, they can afford to pay the salary of Horton and just put him on LTIR where Columbus can't. It makes sense. If you're Columbus and you're going to be paying someone, might as well get some production out of them.

kev87lads 02-26-2015 06:44 PM

Flyers don't deserve anything ever.

aeroshady 02-26-2015 07:35 PM

Absolutely no quit in the NY Rangers this year! Huge win after being down 3-1 early! Hello first place!!

~Crashintome89~ 02-27-2015 01:06 AM

As soon as the Flyers are mathematically out of the playoffs I want them to lose every single game so they have a shot at Mitch Marner.

TMoore4075 02-27-2015 05:18 AM

Kinda surprised the Wings won. West coast trips have always been tough. Through 5 games of the 6 game road trip they are 3-1-1 and should have beaten the Ducks and only lost 1-0 to the Kings. Not a bad trip at all. Now 12 points up on the Bruins and only 1 point back of Tampa with still 2 games in hand.

unccrombie 02-27-2015 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15844757)
Absolutely no quit in the NY Rangers this year! Huge win after being down 3-1 early! Hello first place!!

+2 in hand

Alazais 02-27-2015 06:27 AM

As a Leafs fan, this is the greatest day of my life. Clarkson was so bad as a Leaf... and when I say so bad, I mean he was barely a 3rd line player, almost a 4th line player on one of the worst teams in the NHL. Someone with that contract has no business being that bad. I like him, he is a heart and soul guy but he wasn't working. You could tell he was trying really hard and it just wasn't yielding any results.

From what I understand Horton will never play again. If he does, we have a Stanley Cup winner and an elite talent, but I am totally okay with the Leafs throwing their financial weight around to get out from what I believe is the worst contract in the NHL.

TMoore4075 02-27-2015 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alazais (Post 15845177)
As a Leafs fan, this is the greatest day of my life. Clarkson was so bad as a Leaf... and when I say so bad, I mean he was barely a 3rd line player, almost a 4th line player on one of the worst teams in the NHL. Someone with that contract has no business being that bad. I like him, he is a heart and soul guy but he wasn't working. You could tell he was trying really hard and it just wasn't yielding any results.

From what I understand Horton will never play again. If he does, we have a Stanley Cup winner and an elite talent, but I am totally okay with the Leafs throwing their financial weight around to get out from what I believe is the worst contract in the NHL.

As I said last night, weird ass deal, but makes sense for everyone. Clarkson needed to be out of there and the Leafs needed to get out from under that. Leafs couldn't put him on IR to free up cap space and Jackets couldn't afford to do that long term.

TMoore4075 02-27-2015 07:45 AM

Also want to throw out there, that Datsyuk now has 7 goals in last 7 games. He plays for the team that many of you thought would miss the playoffs.

JRS1386 02-27-2015 08:04 AM

He plays for the Flyers?

Alazais 02-27-2015 08:30 AM

He plays for the Leafs?

TMoore4075 02-27-2015 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15621166)
Since I don't want to work, gonna pick what I think my top 4 in each division will be.

Pacific:
Kings
Ducks
Sharks
Coyotes (could miss playoffs though with the Central being better)

Central:
Hawks
Blues
Avs
Stars

Metro:
Pens
Philly
NYR
WAS

Atlantic:
Boston
TBL
Detroit
Montreal

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15629143)
Hockey is BACCCCCCK!!!!! YES!!!!!

Okay! I am going to make very shaky picks for how I believe each division will pan out.

West:

Central:
1. Chicago
2. St. Louis
3. Dallas
4. Nashville
5. Colorado
6. Minnesota
7. Winnipeg

Pacific:
1. Anaheim
2. LA
3. San Jose
4. Vancouver
5. Calgary
6. Edmonton
7. Arizona

East:

Atlantic:
1. Boston
2. Tampa Bay
3. Montreal
4. Toronto
5. Florida
6. Detroit
7. Buffalo
8. Ottawa

BEST DIVISION:
1. NY Rangers
2. Pittsburgh
3. Columbus
4. Washington
5. NY Islanders
6. Philadelphia
7. New Jersey
8. Carolina

Mostly picked on last season's results, off season trades and signings, and gut feelings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15629889)
CHRIS'S 2014 NHL STANDINGS PREDICTIONS

WEST

Central

1. Chicago
2. St. Louis
3. Dallas
4. Colorado *
5. Nashville *
6. Minnesota
7. Winnipeg

Clearly the most talented division in the league, even my bias aside. I think this could be a dog fight up top with all three teams. Anyone can take it, but I think Brad Richards is exactly what the Blackhawks have been missing. The only problem is where Q fits him into the lineup. I love what Dallas is doing, and I think Nashville makes it. I just don't buy into what Minny is selling. Maybe it's because it's personal bias and I don't like how they built their team, but I just don't like them. It'll be interesting to see how Stastny fits in with STL as well. A lot of awards are going to come out of this division, including the Norris (Pietrangelo), Jack Adams (Q), and possibly the Hart (19! 19! 19! 19! 19! 19!) when Toews puts up career numbers.

Pacific

1. Anaheim
2. San Jose
3. Vancouver
4. Arizona
5. Edmonton
6. Calgary

Ugh. This dumb division of teams I hate. Whatever. LA sucks. They won't make the playoffs because they're stupid.

Seriously though, I have them finishing behind the Ducks, but making it back to the ECF to face off with the Hawks again. Gonna be fast, bloody, and awesome.

I really don't hate you LA. I feel like I have a small rooting interest in the Kings thanks to our hairy legged friend.

EAST:

Atlantic

1. Boston
2. Tampa Bay
3. Toronto
4. Detroit
5. Florida
6. Montreal
7. Buffalo
8. Ottawa

Boston/Tampa are the only real teams in this division. Man, the East sucks. There's nothing going on here. It's so bad, I think the Panthers are going to compete. Detroit will be a fringe playoff team, but that streak has to end some time, I think it's this year.

Dumb name division

1. Philly
2. Pittsburgh
3. Columbus
4. NY Rangers *
5. Washington *
6. NY Islanders
7. New Jersey
8. Carolina

The better division in the East, but that's not saying much. I want to root for the Islanders, and really hope they make it, but I'm just not sure they have enough depth up front to outscore their opponents enough. They're going to need offensive firepower, because they certainly aren't going to win a lot of games 1-0 or 2-1...it will be 5-4 type games that they get their points from. I think Philly takes this division by default, since I don't think there are any GREAT teams here in the East, but Philly is the best good team in this division. Go Jackets.

* = Wild card

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 15845370)
He plays for the Flyers?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alazais (Post 15845453)
He plays for the Leafs?

As you can see some had both of these teams in with the early season picks.

TheLastPig 02-27-2015 09:08 AM

Philly has never taken anything by default, except for maybe an STD test

barbogast 02-27-2015 09:35 AM

Any of you guys see this goal scored by a kid in the United Kingdom? Yep, that's right, the UK. Vaguely reminiscent of Ovie's goal vs the Coyotes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...&v=V2y05NJjqag

Jaw droppingly good stuff there

lockman21 02-27-2015 09:37 AM

I should just never do predictions ever again.

barbogast 02-27-2015 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15845646)
I should just never do predictions ever again.

Hey don't beat yourself up. You got Anaheim right!

fonzz41 02-27-2015 09:57 AM

Damn Avs screwing everything up.

bradshaw06 02-27-2015 10:29 AM

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/in-my-blood/

Great read

TMoore4075 02-27-2015 11:01 AM

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...180117952.html

Just looking at the last part. How dumb do you feel if you bought one of his jerseys? Probably as dumb as the people I see with Wendal Clark Wings ones or even Hossa. I mean you had to know Clark wasn't here past the 99 season. And while there was the chance of Hossa staying, why you would buy it that year and not wait to see IF he signed? I dunno.

fonzz41 02-27-2015 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 15845756)

Fantastic read, thanks for sharing. I think it walks the line really well of emphasizing how tough hockey players are, all while stressing the need for them to swallow their pride and admit when they're really hurt. Or at least get it checked out.

lockman21 02-27-2015 11:09 AM

Bob answering questions over on Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comme..._to_take_your/

dmbetc 02-27-2015 11:31 AM

Who is this Hammond guy?!? Posts back to back shutouts wth Ducks/Kings. Although, Kings scored a goal but was taken away cause the ref lost sight of it. So dumb.

lockman21 02-27-2015 02:01 PM

Hearing Hawks acquring Jeff Petry for Antti Raanta.