Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

Rebecca De Mornay 01-06-2015 07:37 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15741918)
This is actually on my list. I really want one.

Becs - if you happen to see one in the trash somewhere, do me a solid and send it my way?

my buddy actually has one in his closet :lol

it's the old one with the neon stick on the shoulder though.

fonzz41 01-06-2015 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15741926)
my buddy actually has one in his closet :lol

it's the old one with the neon stick on the shoulder though.

:lol

He probably wouldn't even miss it, right?

lockman21 01-06-2015 09:31 AM

I don't remember who does and who doesn't skate in this thread, but do any of you that do use one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Bauer-Concept-...NVRESP6P6NCYJ7

My buddy just ended up in the hospital getting stitches due to a high stick that split open his face, and I think it's about time I cover my damn face. I just HATE the full cage.

Alazais 01-06-2015 09:34 AM

Babcock to Toronto? you heard it here first!

TMoore4075 01-06-2015 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alazais (Post 15742185)
Babcock to Toronto? you heard it here first!

First? :lol

fonzz41 01-06-2015 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15742178)
I don't remember who does and who doesn't skate in this thread, but do any of you that do use one of these?

My buddy just ended up in the hospital getting stitches due to a high stick that split open his face, and I think it's about time I cover my damn face. I just HATE the full cage.

I use a full mask just like that one now, initially against my will.

I used to go no visor, just helmet. Then I broke my nose blocking a shot. Mrs. Fonzz bought me the full cage (with the help of my dad, I later found out - traitor) the next week and informed me that if I wanted her continued support in playing my little "game" every week, I needed to wear it.

It caused an argument.

Now I wear the full shield.

It took some getting used to, but after about two games I was OK with it. I'm considering going back to a classic cage though, as mine does have the tendency to get a little foggy and I hate that.

EDIT: I see the one you're looking at has anti-fog coating. Haven't heard anything on how effective that is.

Alazais 01-06-2015 09:36 AM

yup. FIRST!

hailtopitt 01-06-2015 09:38 AM

Toronto should hire Bylsma

TMoore4075 01-06-2015 09:42 AM

I don't play, but I'd be wearing a shield or cage if I did. I don't make millions and am ugly enough. Don't want to be getting scars if the $$ doesn't come with it.

fonzz41 01-06-2015 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15742222)
I don't play, but I'd be wearing a shield or cage if I did. I don't make millions and am ugly enough. Don't want to be getting scars if the $$ doesn't come with it.

Yeah, now that I have kids and stuff it makes more sense to have it on.

But although it may not seem like that big of a deal, there's something awesome about skating and feeling the cold air on your face. It's one of my favorite parts of the game, and it's limited by the damn cage.

Rebecca De Mornay 01-06-2015 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15741935)
:lol

He probably wouldn't even miss it, right?

no chance, i could swipe it completely undetected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15742178)

i used those when i played in high school because they gave them to us for free at the beginning of the season. there is no solution to it fogging up from your breath. always went back to the full cage.

i also lost the majority of my front teeth while i was wearing one of those :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15742204)
Toronto should hire Bylsma

yes please.

fonzz41 01-06-2015 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15742250)
no chance, i could swipe it completely undetected.

i used those when i played in high school because they gave them to us for free at the beginning of the season. there is no solution to it fogging up from your breath. always went back to the full cage.

i also lost the majority of my front teeth while i was wearing one of those :lol

PM-ing you my address now. I can pay you in spare legos and fruit snacks.

I want to hear the story of losing your front teeth.

Rebecca De Mornay 01-06-2015 10:01 AM

i actually consider fruit snacks to be worth more than american currency so that's terrific.

it was my soph year of high school, first game starting varsity. 20 seconds into opening shift i skated up behind a tie up when my own teammate pulled his stick back in an effort to pull the puck away from the boards. The butt of his stick got under my mask which was probably too lose and caught me right in the front teeth. lost basically 75% of one of them and the corner chunk of the other. luckily i've always had capable dentists.

fonzz41 01-06-2015 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15742264)
i actually consider fruit snacks to be worth more than american currency so that's terrific.

it was my soph year of high school, first game starting varsity. 20 seconds into opening shift i skated up behind a tie up when my own teammate pulled his stick back in an effort to pull the puck away from the boards. The butt of his stick got under my mask which was probably too lose and caught me right in the front teeth. lost basically 75% of one of them and the corner chunk of the other. luckily i've always had capable dentists.

You will love being a dad (when that happens) for the amount of sheer fruit snacks you'll have around your house. My wife wonders how we go through them so fast. She has no idea how much of them I eat.

Rad story man. Would've loved to hear that you got them punched out fighting a guy who messed with your goalie. But dude, a hockey injury is a hockey injury.

lockman21 01-06-2015 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15742199)
I use a full mask just like that one now, initially against my will.

I used to go no visor, just helmet. Then I broke my nose blocking a shot. Mrs. Fonzz bought me the full cage (with the help of my dad, I later found out - traitor) the next week and informed me that if I wanted her continued support in playing my little "game" every week, I needed to wear it.

It caused an argument.

Now I wear the full shield.

It took some getting used to, but after about two games I was OK with it. I'm considering going back to a classic cage though, as mine does have the tendency to get a little foggy and I hate that.

EDIT: I see the one you're looking at has anti-fog coating. Haven't heard anything on how effective that is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15742222)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15742247)
Yeah, now that I have kids and stuff it makes more sense to have it on.

But although it may not seem like that big of a deal, there's something awesome about skating and feeling the cold air on your face. It's one of my favorite parts of the game, and it's limited by the damn cage.

I knew Matty would understand my problems with the face protection. I love being able to lift my visor kind of like Kronwall:

http://ccmhockey.com/sites/default/f...all1-500_0.jpg

And just feel the rink against my face. I love being able to see everything, have no obstructions, be able to wipe my face of sweat, drink water easily, etc. Plus, I just hate the feeling of something on my face, it's always in the back of my mind.

Also, it's funny that is 90% of the time the reason I hear for guys wearing a cage. "My girl made me do it" :lol

lockman21 01-06-2015 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15742264)

:lol Well, you basically just sold me on not getting one.

Rebecca De Mornay 01-06-2015 11:11 AM

:lol admittedly it probably would have happened if i was wearing a cage since we wore those loose as well.

the reason not to get one is that it fogs up.

TMoore4075 01-06-2015 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15742408)
I knew Matty would understand my problems with the face protection. I love being able to lift my visor kind of like Kronwall:

http://ccmhockey.com/sites/default/f...all1-500_0.jpg

And just feel the rink against my face. I love being able to see everything, have no obstructions, be able to wipe my face of sweat, drink water easily, etc. Plus, I just hate the feeling of something on my face, it's always in the back of my mind.

Also, it's funny that is 90% of the time the reason I hear for guys wearing a cage. "My girl made me do it" :lol

Oh I get it, from when I used to play on the pond but that was just me and my friends playing. Maybe I'm a pussy but I wouldn't want to take the injury, but that's me.

fonzz41 01-06-2015 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15742408)

The Force is strong with them, man.

TMoore4075 01-06-2015 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15742524)

Good Euphemism right there.

fonzz41 01-06-2015 11:55 AM

Perhaps one of the only times I've agreed (mostly) with something Ken Campbell wrote.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/to...ust-the-coach/

Thoughts, particularly from Alazais?

fonzz41 01-06-2015 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15742527)
Good Euphemism right there.

Yeah, you get it.

lockman21 01-06-2015 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15742524)

That's maybe the subconscious reason why I keep wearing the visor while I can :lol:lol

aeroshady 01-06-2015 01:04 PM

Just watch Big Shot on espn's 30 for 30. Amazing story haha. Didn't really know much about what happened there. Islanders were lucky to survive that debacle!

TMoore4075 01-06-2015 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15742563)
Perhaps one of the only times I've agreed (mostly) with something Ken Campbell wrote.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/to...ust-the-coach/

Thoughts, particularly from Alazais?

Throwing my thoughts out there. This sounds pretty spot on. This team is such a mishmash. They didn't want to just accept that maybe blowing it all up and having patience was the best way to go. So they have a bunch of contacts that suck, and not much in the system.

FromTheMorning 01-06-2015 05:59 PM

Hawks been getting off to some real hot starts these past 5 games.

lockman21 01-06-2015 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FromTheMorning (Post 15743287)
Hawks been getting off to some real hot starts these past 5 games.

Meh. Whatevs.

rustysurf83 01-06-2015 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15743291)
Meh. Whatevs.

Yeah, Oduya lost that game with a bad 30 seconds. Fuck it.

TMoore4075 01-07-2015 05:03 AM

Didn't watch the game (cause I'm old and can't stay up late) but fast-forwarded through it this am on Tivo and they pretty much dominated that crap team and barely won. I'll take the win but they got a find a way to score more when they are taking 40 shots.

~Crashintome89~ 01-07-2015 05:28 AM

Flyers won a shootout for the first time in over a calendar year. The apocalypse is coming.