Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Album Coming in Four Months! (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354555)

Slackdoodle 05-19-2021 09:55 AM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowa36 (Post 17955688)
I can't believe B&BB and VITR are on the liberation list

Two of the best songs* on the album. What's surprising about people wanting to hear them?

*VITR being _the_ best track on the album.

drop2d 05-19-2021 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17955743)
How could you possibly know what does or does not impact the enjoyment of a show for someone else?

Hilly still has a point... this band gives 0 fucks about anniversaries. Don't expect 'special' shit just b/c it's year 30.

RiotAct 05-19-2021 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freerider59102 (Post 17955702)
Iíll agree... My first take on *most* studio DMB since Busted Stuff has not been great, but over time, Come On Come On got into a (relatively) high rotation for me. The SOUND of it is pretty dang great.... Lyrics are what they are.

it's like that one Hey Arnold episode where the songwriting duo splits up, and the guy who composes great music is stuck writing his own lyrics, and comes up with stuff like "Do do do, do do dooo, and a crummy leather shoe"

mquerques92 05-19-2021 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17955743)
How could you possibly know what does or does not impact the enjoyment of a show for someone else?

Change doesn't to shouldn't and he's absolutely right. Another show from another night shouldn't factor in to your enjoyment of the show you're at.

laststopdmb 05-19-2021 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slackdoodle (Post 17955747)
Two of the best songs* on the album. What's surprising about people wanting to hear them?

I couldn't agree more with this. VITR is easily the best track on the album IMO. I hope it comes back full band this Summer.

kevinmavs 05-19-2021 10:17 AM

A) Let's not forget the importance of the business of the band, definitely makes sense to announce tour dates, sell some tickets to the people who are addicted and are going each year no matter what, and then sell additional tickets with a free download of the new album for every concert ticket bought.

B) As i've gotten older, 33 now, oddly didn't become a true fan until like 2004, i've gotten to where I don't really bitch about what they do anymore. Sure, I don't want to here Come Tomorrow, but it just doesn't bother me. I could care less if they did a 30 anniversary tour, or played covers, i'm just thankful it's all happening and they still exist. The last few years were insane, and that feeling we'll all get at our first show this summer is going to be emotional.

C) If BTCS is Radiohead's OK Computer, who's to say this couldn't be DMB's In Rainbows...let the boners commence

DMB1JW 05-19-2021 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laststopdmb (Post 17955757)
I couldn't agree more with this. VITR is easily the best track on the album IMO. I hope it comes back full band this Summer.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

madhatter 05-19-2021 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slackdoodle (Post 17955747)

It's not surprising that people want to hear them. It is surprising that they've barely been played since the album was released.

#40BigEyedFish 05-19-2021 10:59 AM

Rashawn's IG story has him flying out of LA on a private jet....looks like whatever work they did at the village studios in west la is completed!!

ericvol 05-19-2021 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #40BigEyedFish (Post 17955784)
Rashawn's IG story has him flying out of LA on a private jet....looks like whatever work they did at the village studios in west la is completed!!

We are getting official announcement by Memorial Day, a single right around tour start time and album in August/September is my prediction.

WhereYouGoin 05-19-2021 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericvol (Post 17955826)
We are getting official announcement by Memorial Day, a single right around tour start time and album in August/September is my prediction.

So maybe a timeline like the one for Away from the World?

BearambleAmble 05-19-2021 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foreverford05 (Post 17955737)
Bismarck needs to take all the slots away from DYR this tour. that would be great

Iím shocked by the positive spin many here have taken on DYR. Itís not good.

Nothing would make me happier in terms of ďnewer songsĒ than Bismarck switching back in for it. DYR was hastily written before Farm Aid 17, if I recall correctly. And while written with good intentions, itís straight cheese.

It clearly took Bismarckís spot on CT and isnít anywhere near the same quality.

ToySoldier#34 05-19-2021 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foreverford05 (Post 17955737)
Bismarck needs to take all the slots away from DYR this tour. that would be great

Hard pass for me

Aforauer 05-19-2021 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17955838)
Hard pass for me

DYR is a complete snoozer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zaj128 05-19-2021 12:53 PM

The only parts of DYR that I don't like are when Dave sings "Do YoOOoOoouUUUuUuu Remember?" I actually like the majority of it though. That opening line and how it's sung makes me cringe though.

ToySoldier#34 05-19-2021 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aforauer (Post 17955841)

Cool, I like it and don't want it to go take a hike

RSSR 05-19-2021 01:21 PM

Do You Remember should stay around. It's solid. Nothing about it is cheesy, it's riff sounds like classic Dave.

but1well 05-19-2021 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BearambleAmble (Post 17955829)
I’m shocked by the positive spin many here have taken on DYR. It’s not good.

Nothing would make me happier in terms of “newer songs” than Bismarck switching back in for it. DYR was hastily written before Farm Aid 17, if I recall correctly. And while written with good intentions, it’s straight cheese.

Cheese? The lyrics for TGIY, Can't stop, again and again, COCO, and Come tomorrow are all chessier

It clearly took Bismarck’s spot on CT and isn’t anywhere near the same quality.

Cheese? The lyrics for TGIY, Can't stop, again and again, COCO, and Come tomorrow are all chessier

This is complete conjecture. So many road tested songs haven't made albums while other studio made songs have. Doesn't mean anything, they didn't like the song for that album/mix of songs, whatever

Cscottrun 05-19-2021 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aforauer (Post 17955841)

VITR is pretty snoozerish too. Most slow or middle paced songs are. Doesn't mean they aren't good songs or don't deserve to be in rotation.

groogrux27 05-19-2021 01:35 PM

i think all this hate for DYR is probably just a factor of it being overplayed a touch

Cscottrun 05-19-2021 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groogrux27 (Post 17955903)
i think all this hate for DYR is probably just a factor of it being overplayed a touch

Yea, and it's not going anywhere either. Dave has discussed on more than one occasion what the song means to him. I don't mind it every once in a while but would prefer they switched the slot up way more often.

Hahninator 05-19-2021 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groogrux27 (Post 17955903)

A touch? I have 11 DYRs and had to see 32 shows, travel to the complete opposite side of the country, and follow the band across many states to get You Never Know..... one time. Stone electric? One time. Lmao. BEF>Bartender? Once.

11 Samurais and DYRs, 17 Funnys, 17 You & Mes... just need some variety here. Play some of the better songs more often.

Aforauer 05-19-2021 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hahninator (Post 17955911)
A touch? I have 11 DYRs and had to see 32 shows, travel to the complete opposite side of the country, and follow the band across many states to get You Never Know..... one time. Stone electric? One time. Lmao. BEF>Bartender? Once.

11 Samurais and DYRs, 17 Funnys, 17 You & Mes... just need some variety here. Play some of the better songs more often.

Thatís all it is. I really donít mind the song but itís overplayed. They ran Samurai Cop and DYR into the ground. Doesnít need to be shelved, just not 40 times per tour. It should never open a show either. Just being picky

Aforauer 05-19-2021 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aforauer (Post 17955916)
Thatís all it is. I really donít mind the song but itís overplayed. They ran Samurai Cop and DYR into the ground. Doesnít need to be shelved, just not 40 times per tour. It should never open a show either. Just being picky

To tag on, I think She would actually make for a decent opener in terms of CT songs.

watsonbriant 05-19-2021 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aforauer (Post 17955918)
To tag on, I think She would actually make for a decent opener in terms of CT songs.

Hot take: She sucks. I've never liked it unfortunately. Couldn't stand the predictable She > PNP > Rapunzel or She > Ants to close main sets for 2018.

Jollymonkey 05-19-2021 02:09 PM

I absolutely love DYR and have since it debuted with D&T.

Great summer song. Thought it worked well as an opener or in the 2 slot.

I actually think they can extend the outro and jam it out more.

Cptn. Monkeyman 05-19-2021 02:11 PM

I don't know about DYR taking Bismarck's spot, but I vaguely remember hearing something about the two sounding too similar? Not sure if that came from speculation or what.

But I definitely remember hearing from someone on here that When I'm Weary replaced Death on the High Seas... :mad It was even gonna be the album title I believe, which is way cooler than Come Tomorrow. If that's true, it's unbelievably stupid. When I'm Weary isn't bad, but it was literally just Mark Batson messing around with some churchy chords. Scrapping DOTHS for that... I just can't believe Dave would do that.

jaymas9 05-19-2021 02:12 PM

I'd love to be enlightened on why Do You Remember is cheesy? It's not like the lyrics are "when we're kids we're innocent, isn't childhood so great, I miss you."

Sometimes I feel like that word gets used here and I don't know what people mean. For me cheesy is trite or cliche for the most part. Using strong imagery to paint broad strokes about childhood friendships and the emotions they invoked/invoke now is not cheesy, it's heartfelt. Especially with the background of that song too.

Cptn. Monkeyman 05-19-2021 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymas9 (Post 17955930)
I'd love to be enlightened on why Do You Remember is cheesy? It's not like the lyrics are "when we're kids we're innocent, isn't childhood so great, I miss you."

Sometimes I feel like that word gets used here and I don't know what people mean. For me cheesy is trite or cliche for the most part. Using strong imagery to paint broad strokes about childhood friendships and the emotions they invoked/invoke now is not cheesy, it's heartfelt. Especially with the background of that song too.

I like DYR too, but I think the "woo" part is objectively cheesy lol. And other folks don't like the way he carries the "you" and the "we", I personally think it sounds good

ericvol 05-19-2021 02:18 PM

The chorus is great on DYR, the verses (the part be does the yoooouuuuu) part are what make it cheesy IMO.