Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Album Coming in One Week! (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354555)

Cscottrun 05-12-2021 06:41 AM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

They need to do something like this again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKOUUFpSeFQ

Edit: If anyone can find the ants thread from when that video dropped, it'd be a fun backread. I'm curious about the reactions? I remember them being positive but I could be completely wrong.

OneSweetMonkey 05-12-2021 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17951812)
They need to do something like this again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKOUUFpSeFQ

Edit: If anyone can find the ants thread from when that video dropped, it'd be a fun backread. I'm curious about the reactions? I remember them being positive but I could be completely wrong.

I remember when that video dropped. That was exciting.

madhatter 05-12-2021 07:20 AM

Quote:

Here ya go: https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/s...d.php?t=244684

pbrk11 05-12-2021 07:53 AM

The best part about that video is that Dave was hammered and admitted being so in an interview somewhere.

jaymas9 05-12-2021 08:23 AM

Quote:

BW was definitely the best album release marketing strategy/content distribution the band has ever done.

And it was 12 years ago, these concepts are more contemporary now, easier to do, and the execution of them should just be better. DMB has gone backwards.

TheLastStop123 05-12-2021 08:28 AM

Quote:

I must have watched this video 500 times in the lead up to the album. that and the 20 second clip of Boyd playing "why I am" haha.

Bearclaw_ 05-12-2021 08:59 AM

I remember the ants thread being on fire. Everyone was PUMPED about what the song was, Roi starting out, and everyone was trying to decipher exactly what the opening lyrics were.

It was a fun time.

Then we all heard SMLAM. :lol

somuchtoplay 05-12-2021 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearclaw_ (Post 17951936)
I remember the ants thread being on fire. Everyone was PUMPED about what the song was, Roi starting out, and everyone was trying to decipher exactly what the opening lyrics were.

It was a fun time.

When BW first came out I loved SMLAM. I didnt start rolling my eyes at it until they beat it to death on tour. I still like it, but after hearing it for 10 years straight, it just got tired.

RSSR 05-12-2021 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearclaw_ (Post 17951936)

It was a fun time.

The biggest DMB critics you'd find on this site was smitten with it on that thread, and some of them and still enjoys SMLAM to this day.

but1well 05-12-2021 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 17951966)
The biggest DMB critics you'd find on this site was smitten with it on that thread, and some of them and still enjoys SMLAM to this day.

I think a different name and lyrics would help. It's just corny, like a lot of recent DMB lyrics.

btpeters 05-12-2021 09:42 AM

Lets not reconstruct history here. SMLAM was pretty well loved when Big Whiskey came out. When it took its time showing up in the live setting in 2009, people were bummed about it.

A combination of not exactly nailing it live, extreme overplaying and being put in the set closer/encore closer spots soured people really fast on it.

Beyond the message board crowd, that song got a really good pop from the crowd at shows for about 4-5 years when it would start.

ElijahSoRight72 05-12-2021 09:50 AM

SMLAM is one of their absolute best studio tracks ever. It just so happens to be one of their LEAST good live tracks ever. But to this day I use Grux>>SMLAM to hook people into DMB- and people have been floored every time. It’s a great song that they could just never get right live for whatever reason.

Broken Things was a good opener- Sam Cop really should have been in the middle of the album, it’s an abysmal opener. Hopefully we can get another great opening track to this next album. Sequencing is everything.

jaymas9 05-12-2021 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somuchtoplay (Post 17951945)
When BW first came out I loved SMLAM. I didnt start rolling my eyes at it until they beat it to death on tour. I still like it, but after hearing it for 10 years straight, it just got tired.

To me it remains a slammin studio cut. The energy and tightness of that has not come close to translating live.

snow1868 05-12-2021 10:08 AM

I liked SMLAM and BW when they both first came out, I was super stoked about that clip. BW was a huge improvement over Stand Up but over time the shine of it wore off and it's nothing more than mediocre to me.

Bearclaw_ 05-12-2021 10:48 AM

To clarify what I meant - it was loved when we heard the studio cut.

The live version was just overplayed and it’s one of their worst songs live.

My personal opinion, BW could have been amazing but the bad songs (SMLAM, FTWII, Seven, Why I Am, You & Me) REALLY outshine the good stuff. (Mainly LITHOG, Dive In, Spaceman, Squirm)

What compounds the issue is you see Dave group those bad songs (above) together on a lot of shows. A lot of my shows contain minimum 2/5, 3/5 of them.

TheLastStop123 05-12-2021 11:33 AM

yeah Grux > SMLAM studio version is top fucking tier DMB

dontdrink36 05-12-2021 11:39 AM

Shake Me was a big hit when it first came out. It lost luster by being played every night and in closing spots. It would be a welcome burst on energy song 5-8 times a year.

acedmb 05-12-2021 11:58 AM

Was just reading that Tim Pierce, a legendary session player, contributed to Big Whiskey. Does anyone know what songs he was featured on? Couldn’t find anything specific. Thanks!

jwrice5 05-12-2021 12:01 PM

I feel like BW has aged better than AFTW, but ED has aged (and converted to a live setting) waaaaay better than both of them.

RSSR 05-12-2021 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acedmb (Post 17952137)
Was just reading that Tim Pierce, a legendary session player, contributed to Big Whiskey. Does anyone know what songs he was featured on? Couldn’t find anything specific. Thanks!

That's interesting. Anyone know?

RSSR 05-12-2021 12:22 PM

His webage listing on www.allmusic.com does list him contributing on Big Whiskey And The GrooGrux King, but doesn't credit what he appeared on.

prdstmnky36 05-12-2021 12:32 PM

Yeah, I just looked at about 10 different sites and everything just lists him as an additional guitar on the album, nothing specific.

RSSR 05-12-2021 12:46 PM

Even the Almanac doesn't have him listed on what (if they do, I wasn't able to find it quickly) he worked on.

karczews41 05-12-2021 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwrice5 (Post 17952138)
I feel like BW has aged better than AFTW, but ED has aged (and converted to a live setting) waaaaay better than both of them.

this is correct

crounsa810 05-12-2021 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwrice5 (Post 17952138)

Yeah, Everyday has aged VERY well. Big Whiskey is still a bright spot, probably mostly surrounding that period of the band being such an interesting time (for many reasons, not to mention the great marketing campaign that went along with it).

But for me, AFTW still holds up quite well as an album, it just has had no staying power in the live setting so its easily forgotten about. But every time studio Drunken Soldier, Riff, Broken Things, Snow Outside, Gaucho, hell even If Only comes around I can't help but look back with fondness. It was a solid studio album, it just died in the live setting.

crounsa810 05-12-2021 07:00 PM

Arguably, now that I think about it, those three albums make a pretty good Less-Big 3 for fans of the band that came on in the mid-late 00's that each correlates.

Example (for fans that were introduced to the band between like 2006-2011):

UTTAD = Everyday
Crash = Big Whiskey
BTCS = Away from the World

From this, Come Tomorrow is also very Busted Stuff-y, i.e. a collection of songs we pretty much knew about and wanted minus the ones we wanted most AND with the addition of a few others we hadn't heard before)

prdstmnky36 05-12-2021 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crounsa810 (Post 17952371)
Arguably, now that I think about it, those three albums make a pretty good Less-Big 3 for fans of the band that came on in the mid-late 00's that each correlates.

Example (for fans that were introduced to the band between like 2006-2011):

UTTAD = Everyday
Crash = Big Whiskey
BTCS = Away from the World

From this, Come Tomorrow is also very Busted Stuff-y, i.e. a collection of songs we pretty much knew about and wanted minus the ones we wanted most AND with the addition of a few others we hadn't heard before)

This is a solid take. As an older fan I often forget that there are people who got into this band much later in their careers, and think of songs / albums differently because of it.

Dannyyankou 05-12-2021 07:26 PM

Remember when dmbnewstudioalbum.com was a thing and we were waiting for updates on there and they never came? Lol

DannoMac21 05-12-2021 08:32 PM

Quote:

Dave's face when they start dancing will never not be gold lmao

kevinmavs 05-13-2021 07:53 AM

Quote:

It's a lot of jealousy...but I hated those people for dancing during that. Always seemed like Dave was really annoyed.