Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Album Coming in Four Months! (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354555)

madhatter 05-10-2021 03:59 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcacel (Post 17950916)
Release month of the last 5 albums:

Busted Stuff July
Stand Up May
Big Whiskey June (Announced Feb 26)
AFW September (Announced June 27)
Come Tomorrow June (Announced April 25)

and that’s quite normal if you work on winter months and leave mixing/post production in the spring.

My bet is that the album will be released in June/July.

Not sure about the first two, but the last three had at least 2 months from official announcement until release. I wouldn't bet on June/July -- probably more like August/September if they announce soon.

Hahninator 05-10-2021 04:06 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
That's disappointing to me about Cavallo because the Big Whiskey sound and the sound of Samurai Cop are the best overall production sounds the band has achieved in the past few albums. Huge fan of Cavallo's DMB work.

theflower 05-10-2021 04:16 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hahninator (Post 17950941)
That's disappointing to me about Cavallo because the Big Whiskey sound and the sound of Samurai Cop are the best overall production sounds the band has achieved in the past few albums. Huge fan of Cavallo's DMB work.

its an interesting point. Always loved the sound of studio beach ball. That recording really sounded like DMB on their early albums.

groogrux27 05-10-2021 05:55 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by madhatter (Post 17950934)
Not sure about the first two, but the last three had at least 2 months from official announcement until release. I wouldn't bet on June/July -- probably more like August/September if they announce soon.

just a note for big whiskey, it was originally going to be released in april, then got delayed, so idk if that changes your estimations, but something to remember

BruceW 05-10-2021 06:32 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dodo36 (Post 17950737)
You know, the more I think about it, the more I want that instrumental Stand Up record. Might give a reason to enjoy Smooth Rider other than that feeling after dropping the kids off at the pool.


It makes the album tolerable

greyson1289 05-10-2021 06:37 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17951033)
It makes the album tolerable

Anything new to Stand Up would make that album more tolerable.

They could add a an interpolation of Baha Men's "Who Let the Dogs Out" and the album would be better.

madhatter 05-10-2021 06:41 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by groogrux27 (Post 17951018)
just a note for big whiskey, it was originally going to be released in april, then got delayed, so idk if that changes your estimations, but something to remember

It doesn't, I took that into account. Big Whiskey was announced in February.

grilldanmo 05-10-2021 09:02 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Why are folks talking about SU? Sure it's an awesome album, but this is the new album thread.

I think they're thinking and tinkering too much. They just need to release the stuff. For a band that keeps tweaking and either eventually settles into a live version of a tune or is always changing up a tune, being too and so precious about studio work seems odd.

kenticus 05-10-2021 09:32 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Assuming shows don’t get further delayed....I’m an optimist who says they’ll announce and drop a first single right in advance of the first shows back, play the single and some other album tracks live, and we’re off to the races. If that doesn’t happen, have to assume for whatever reason the album is pushed to 2022.

So yeaaaahhhhh I’m gonna go out on a limb and say first show back kicks off with them debuting Singing from the Windows full band to open the tour then jumping into a hit like tripping billies and we’re off....

Cptn. Monkeyman 05-10-2021 09:38 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
I imagine they’re excited to play some new tunes for us. But at the same time, they’re probably itching to dust off all their classics after nearly two years on the shelf.

I think a single / announcement around the start of the tour (23 July) would be cool and does seems like a safe bet.

monizzle145 05-10-2021 09:54 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kenticus (Post 17951075)
Assuming shows don’t get further delayed....I’m an optimist who says they’ll announce and drop a first single right in advance of the first shows back, play the single and some other album tracks live, and we’re off to the races. If that doesn’t happen, have to assume for whatever reason the album is pushed to 2022.

So yeaaaahhhhh I’m gonna go out on a limb and say first show back kicks off with them debuting Singing from the Windows full band to open the tour then jumping into a hit like tripping billies and we’re off....

I have been very skeptical of shows going on at 100% until about 2 weeks ago when i saw things changing drastically up here in the northeast. The 1st shows are in North Carolina which will do what it takes to have 100% capacity. I would be more concerned if the tour started in Mass,CT, NY, or Washington.

Also even if they open with Singing from the windows that doesn't mean an album is dropping. We had AFTW follow that path but then we had another landmark 25th anniversary year start with new music and the album didn't come for 2 years. Dave is so sensitive with his music that we may get another 2 years of road testing before we get a come tomorrow.

ElijahSoRight72 05-10-2021 11:08 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by monizzle145 (Post 17951089)
Also even if they open with Singing from the windows that doesn't mean an album is dropping. We had AFTW follow that path but then we had another landmark 25th anniversary year start with new music and the album didn't come for 2 years. Dave is so sensitive with his music that we may get another 2 years of road testing before we get a come tomorrow.

Worst part about it is they never actually went in and changed the "road tested" songs to reflect how it evolved over the tour. Instead they just used the early studio versions anyway, THEN started playing the songs differently to be closer to the underdeveloped album versions.

Anyway, I'm no longer super optimistic about this album like I was at the beginning of the year. I'm hopeful, but not optimistic. Carson's impressions are that it may be close to completion, and I hope that's true. But if we have no official word on the new album by the tour, song debuts or not I think it could be cause for concern.

monizzle145 05-10-2021 11:15 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElijahSoRight72 (Post 17951117)
Worst part about it is they never actually went in and changed the "road tested" songs to reflect how it evolved over the tour. Instead they just used the early studio versions anyway, THEN started playing the songs differently to be closer to the underdeveloped album versions.

Anyway, I'm no longer super optimistic about this album like I was at the beginning of the year. I'm hopeful, but not optimistic. Carson's impressions are that it may be close to completion, and I hope that's true. But if we have no official word on the new album by the tour, song debuts or not I think it could be cause for concern.


Yup that is what sucks about this era of the music. They kept the crap songs crap and then overplayed them in 2018-19 and then the best new songs from 2015-16 went missing i.e. black and bluebird, virignia in the rain, bismark, and death on the high seas.

And anything post lillywhite sessions is over produced and ruined from the original tour debuts/recordings. Dave's best unreleased, pre final copy recordings are far superior to what made the albums or what became of songs after they were "finished".

MiniFlynny34 05-10-2021 11:49 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Rob Cavallo really has a great resumé. All of his stuff with Green Day is fantastic (except for portions of their Trilogy experiment) and he's produced the best Goo Goo Dolls albums. Wish he got another full album with DMB.

Jordan#41 05-11-2021 09:16 AM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniFlynny34 (Post 17951130)
Rob Cavallo really has a great resumé. All of his stuff with Green Day is fantastic (except for portions of their Trilogy experiment) and he's produced the best Goo Goo Dolls albums. Wish he got another full album with DMB.

I agree. Cavallo's work on BW is spectacular. It gets far more repeated listens for me over SU, AFTW, CT.

Cptn. Monkeyman 05-11-2021 10:46 AM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Cavallo’s work with DMB has been the best since Lillywhite. Big Whiskey, Little Red Bird, and his half of Come Tomorrow blow Ballard, Batson and others away in my opinion. Cavallo’s half of Come Tomorrow is some of my favorite studio work they’ve done as a band in the past 20 years. I just imagine if they released his entire album... would’ve been special.

RSSR 05-11-2021 11:18 AM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
This has already been said on these boards but it's still hilarious:

HAL 9000 should still produce DMB's next upcoming album.

"Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?"

DMB1JW 05-11-2021 01:25 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17951181)
Cavallo’s half of Come Tomorrow is some of my favorite studio work they’ve done as a band in the past 20 years. I just imagine if they released his entire album... would’ve been special.

This 100%

notorious v.i.g 05-11-2021 02:03 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Agree i love Cavallo.

BigHappy 05-11-2021 02:06 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17951181)
Cavallo’s work with DMB has been the best since Lillywhite. Big Whiskey, Little Red Bird, and his half of Come Tomorrow blow Ballard, Batson and others away in my opinion. Cavallo’s half of Come Tomorrow is some of my favorite studio work they’ve done as a band in the past 20 years. I just imagine if they released his entire album... would’ve been special.

May I ask exactly what did Cavallo produce on CT?

Tomacco 05-11-2021 02:12 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigHappy (Post 17951298)
May I ask exactly what did Cavallo produce on CT?

Samurai Cop
Here on Out
Black and Blue Bird
Again and Again
Virginia in the Rain
Bdkdkdk

BigHappy 05-11-2021 02:20 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomacco (Post 17951299)
Samurai Cop
Here on Out
Black and Blue Bird
Again and Again
Virginia in the Rain
Bdkdkdk

Many thanks

jaymas9 05-11-2021 04:24 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomacco (Post 17951299)
Samurai Cop
Here on Out
Black and Blue Bird
Again and Again
Virginia in the Rain
Bdkdkdk

It's never been a coincidence to me that Cavallo produced the best songs on the record (take be yourself out, as it's just 27 seconds).

Wish they would have just made the album with Cavallo that seemed on track for 2016/2017. Between the group of songs above, bismarck, and whatever we hadn't heard (be yourself and plastic girl aside), feels like it could have been a pretty good album.

jaymas9 05-11-2021 04:27 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17951181)
Cavallo’s work with DMB has been the best since Lillywhite. Big Whiskey, Little Red Bird, and his half of Come Tomorrow blow Ballard, Batson and others away in my opinion. Cavallo’s half of Come Tomorrow is some of my favorite studio work they’ve done as a band in the past 20 years. I just imagine if they released his entire album... would’ve been special.

Well said, while I hate his sense of dynamic range on the tracks he's produced, to me, he gets more unique music out of the band than the other guys (lillywhite aside). And in the loads of behind the scenes big whiskey work, he pushes the guys in the studio. Also seemed to establish an awesome rapport with LeRoi in the short time they worked together (based on all the post documentary stuff), and I believe to this day sax would have been all over whatever OG Big Whiskey would have become.

sh123 05-11-2021 04:29 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
:popcorn

ISawTheBridge10 05-11-2021 04:41 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 17951207)
This has already been said on these boards but it's still hilarious:

HAL 9000 should still produce DMB's next upcoming album.

"Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?"


Turn down Carter's high hat a little, HAL.


I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

theflower 05-11-2021 07:26 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sh123 (Post 17951423)
:popcorn

do you sir have something to say?

elconguero 05-11-2021 10:59 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?
 
I think dmb should make an album produced by the message board. Then we would all obviously be happy. Choose your adventure style. Give us multiple takes and we guide the direction of each song, give feedback on lyrics, etc.

Would take a long time but probably still faster than them deciding themselves.

Has this been done ever before? Probably right? I’m not very original.
We pick lyrics, Which version, solos, track list, mastering.

Like say we heard lillywhite bartender, then we hear busted stuff. I get they were trying to make different version in that case but we would say version one and that makes the album.

I’ve lost my mind waiting on this band to come back.

Please dmb just don’t put singing from the windows on the new album. Like where are you going that should be a one off and done.

Forge the choose your own dmb album, please just don’t put that track on the new album. That’s my only production request. List your production request below.

Xcacel 05-12-2021 12:45 AM

New Album Coming Soon?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymas9 (Post 17951419)
Well said, while I hate his sense of dynamic range on the tracks he's produced, to me, he gets more unique music out of the band than the other guys (lillywhite aside). And in the loads of behind the scenes big whiskey work, he pushes the guys in the studio. Also seemed to establish an awesome rapport with LeRoi in the short time they worked together (based on all the post documentary stuff), and I believe to this day sax would have been all over whatever OG Big Whiskey would have become.



Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17951181)
Cavallo’s work with DMB has been the best since Lillywhite. Big Whiskey, Little Red Bird, and his half of Come Tomorrow blow Ballard, Batson and others away in my opinion. Cavallo’s half of Come Tomorrow is some of my favorite studio work they’ve done as a band in the past 20 years. I just imagine if they released his entire album... would’ve been special.



Quote:

Originally Posted by jaymas9 (Post 17951415)
It's never been a coincidence to me that Cavallo produced the best songs on the record (take be yourself out, as it's just 27 seconds).

Wish they would have just made the album with Cavallo that seemed on track for 2016/2017. Between the group of songs above, bismarck, and whatever we hadn't heard (be yourself and plastic girl aside), feels like it could have been a pretty good album.



I agree with everything that you wrote.
It must not be easy for a producer to work with an already famous band, it is quite hard to tell the band what to do. That’s why Lillywhite work was much better in the first albums, when the band was a less experienced and was trusting him, because he had worked with so many phenomenal bands before. But the same Lillywhite didn’t do as good in AFTW.

At the end, it is Dave which writes most of the songs. If the songs are great (big three) you can make everything out of them (and Lillywhite did). If the song are so-so, as a producer, you can still put a lot in them, and this is what Cavallo did.
That’s why BW songs sound better in the studio version than live.

I dig what ElijahSoRight wrote here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElijahSoRight72 (Post 17855069)
Absolutely. I've actually never heard anything like the studio production on BW, which is probably why it sticks with me so much. It was like a game to discover elements in BW that I hadn't noticed before. Like I heard Dave whispering overdubs of "drum beats louder" in Squirm years after listening to that song, but once I heard them it felt exciting. The layers and depth to that album is unrivaled.

(Also love the connective tissues on that album, Carter screaming YEAH at the end of SMLAM, Rob saying "you can go" right before Why I Am crashes in, Dave whispering "relax" at the top of Time Bomb- I love that shit.)

My biggest hope for DMB albums after were that we could get that same feeling of layered exploration of studio magic. Which is why I've been hoping for Cavallo to get another full chance at an album, but in vain of course.

The songs of Big Whiskey are far away to be the best songs of DMB, but still, Cavallo made an excellent work with them. And watching the Road to BW documentary you can tell that he has the right personality to interact with difficult guys like Dave: he listens to them, but make them also listening to him.
I don’t know anything about Evans, but from the short takes during Come Tomorrow talks, he doesn’t seem to have the same charisma (and genius) of Cavallo. He does his job, and I don’t question that, but result is that we get songs like some of the ballads of Cone Tomorrow, easy listening, that don’t have the depth of the Cavallo-produced-ones.

Definitely, it takes a lot be a great producer.

Xcacel 05-12-2021 01:12 AM

New Album Coming Soon?
 
This is what I meant about Evans (go to 02:20)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=uthW44_Vm_Y&t=140s


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster. The rest is owned by antsmarching.org.