Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Album Coming in One Week! (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354555)

OutofDarkness 08-05-2022 11:38 AM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

IMO there's not a single Big Three song that doesn't have at least one live version that's superior to the studio cut. Those songs were meant to be played live, and they all came into their own live.

Simm0nS 08-05-2022 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justindugan (Post 18244556)
Yeah, that version feels like it just plods along aimlessly and then we finally get a solo from Roi at the end to put it out of its misery.

The LT 28 version from Charlottesville 11/19/2010 is miles ahead of this in my book. It's got great energy the whole way through, and Jeff absolutely jams the hell out of it at the end. Tim gets a little solo in there, and the hand off from Tim to Jeff is perfect.

Agreed, Cville 2010 is far and away my favorite. Love Tim's solo and Jeff's is bomb

ToySoldier#34 08-05-2022 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 18244280)
By far the best live version :thumbsup

I should have said favorite full band live version here, top two favorite live versions are solo and D&T

CapnHani06 08-05-2022 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannoMac21 (Post 18244225)
I agree, but 9/14/03 is so close

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMouRTx40K8

My first show! Had absolutely no idea what I was witnessing :(

monizzle145 08-05-2022 12:38 PM

I loved the spoon from Hartford N2 2013 I saw with Stanley Jordan. Would have loved if the band just had stanley jordan john the band full time instead of Tim. His clean tone fits 95% of the bands songs better.

draegs 08-05-2022 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btpeters (Post 18244561)
I have "I was there" bias to the Deer Creek 2013 one, so that's my personal fave.

Right there with you (Link for anyone interested).

Fun fact: That was 1 of only 3 full-band shows ever played with both Spoon and Pig in the setlist. 5 times total if you include D&T shows.

bibby1044 08-05-2022 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monizzle145 (Post 18244639)
I loved the spoon from Hartford N2 2013 I saw with Stanley Jordan. Would have loved if the band just had stanley jordan john the band full time instead of Tim. His clean tone fits 95% of the bands songs better.

I disagree there. When he started guesting with them I remember listening room to multiple songs and hating all of them. I felt he didn’t fit with them at all. I should revisit them and see if I still feel that way but I never liked the tone he uses.

ToySoldier#34 08-05-2022 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bibby1044 (Post 18244652)
I disagree there. When he started guesting with them I remember listening room to multiple songs and hating all of them. I felt he didn’t fit with them at all. I should revisit them and see if I still feel that way but I never liked the tone he uses.

I like this Cry Freedom w him

https://youtu.be/j2YedNxD0HQ

dpduke5173 08-05-2022 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 18244656)
I like this Cry Freedom w him

https://youtu.be/j2YedNxD0HQ

By far my favorite Stanley Jordan guest spot. Wish they would bust Cry Freedom out at least couple times a year.

Speilmen230 08-05-2022 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draegs (Post 18244650)
Right there with you (Link for anyone interested).

Fun fact: That was 1 of only 3 full-band shows ever played with both Spoon and Pig in the setlist. 5 times total if you include D&T shows.

One of my favorite shows I've attended. That Fool To Think is my only one, and cemented it as one of my favorite Everyday songs.

mray10 08-05-2022 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadendstreet (Post 18243709)
To be fair, BTCS received a lot of negative talk when it first came out and my understanding is Crash was deemed "too electric" by the fanbase in 96. Point is, DMB fans are tough to please. And while I certainly understand (and agree) with some complaints, I get why the band gets tired of people bitching.

This is correct.

I'm so damn old that I was online for even the release of Crash and there were in fact people (who considered themselves "old school" fans at that time) who hated it.

And BTCS got a generally tepid reaction from a lot of people at first.

I think you can chalk this up to two main things: First, those first three studio albums are so great because they aren't all alike. Even if Crash is half full of songs that DMB was playing in the days that they recorded UTTAD, the album itself doesn't sound like it. It's a new sonic step. And then BTCS is mostly new songs and yet another step sonically.

The second thing is that if you get enough people together online, you'll always find some people who hate something. Of course people go online to talk about stuff they like but for whatever reason we're always more motivated to post negative reviews (of music, food, hotels, whatever) than positive ones. And as humans we tend to remember negative feedback more, too. So I can remember specifics of a negative review of Crash I read on dial up internet in 1996 but have no real memory of the positive reviews that I know existed alongside it.

Springraces 08-05-2022 09:28 PM

WTF is going on in this thread?? We’re talking about favorite versions of Pig and Spoon from 2012 and Stanley Jordan.? How I the fucking fucksense is this relevant to the new album?

bibby1044 08-06-2022 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mray10 (Post 18244845)
This is correct.

I'm so damn old that I was online for even the release of Crash and there were in fact people (who considered themselves "old school" fans at that time) who hated it.

And BTCS got a generally tepid reaction from a lot of people at first.

I think you can chalk this up to two main things: First, those first three studio albums are so great because they aren't all alike. Even if Crash is half full of songs that DMB was playing in the days that they recorded UTTAD, the album itself doesn't sound like it. It's a new sonic step. And then BTCS is mostly new songs and yet another step sonically.

The second thing is that if you get enough people together online, you'll always find some people who hate something. Of course people go online to talk about stuff they like but for whatever reason we're always more motivated to post negative reviews (of music, food, hotels, whatever) than positive ones. And as humans we tend to remember negative feedback more, too. So I can remember specifics of a negative review of Crash I read on dial up internet in 1996 but have no real memory of the positive reviews that I know existed alongside it.

The LWS was also a new sound with the 12 string. Part of why sticking with 1 producer that entire time to have an evolution through each album was important. It was small steps not major ones which I think tend to happen when bands jump around and then that usually leads to their downfall.

lc_2000 08-06-2022 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Springraces (Post 18244846)
WTF is going on in this thread?? We’re talking about favorite versions of Pig and Spoon from 2012 and Stanley Jordan.? How I the fucking fucksense is this relevant to the new album?

It’s time to get back to ranking our favorite albums on this thread!

ericvol 08-06-2022 06:06 AM

I’m so hopeful the announcement comes this upcoming week but I think we have to wait another at least.

Cardinal 08-06-2022 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericvol (Post 18244890)
I’m so hopeful the announcement comes this upcoming week but I think we have to wait another at least.

I can handle a couple of weeks or so. I can’t handle another year and a couple weeks.

ericvol 08-06-2022 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardinal (Post 18244897)
I can handle a couple of weeks or so. I can’t handle another year and a couple weeks.

If CFB is on my TV and the album hasn’t been announced yet I’ll panic. First game is in 3 weeks….

PantalaNagaMan 08-06-2022 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericvol (Post 18244903)
If CFB is on my TV and the album hasn’t been announced yet I’ll panic. First game is in 3 weeks….

This....

DMBCardinal 08-06-2022 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Springraces (Post 18244846)

Hey, at least they aren't talking about how much they hate CT.

DMBCardinal 08-06-2022 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericvol (Post 18244890)

The lack of rumors is a little concerning.

On the other hand there were a few stories in the media about the Dave sirius interview. Hopefully that means something.

ERoths711 08-06-2022 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OutofDarkness (Post 18244592)
IMO there's not a single Big Three song that doesn't have at least one live version that's superior to the studio cut. Those songs were meant to be played live, and they all came into their own live.

IMO no live version of Spoon can ever touch that studio version. That track is sooo good and hauntingly beautiful. The rest I can probably agree with you on.

monizzle145 08-06-2022 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bibby1044 (Post 18244652)

The spaceman guest spot at my first show (Hartford N1 2012) was a little odd but I enjoyed hearing him on dreaming tree and spoon back to back nights in 2013 for the Hartford shows.

OutofDarkness 08-06-2022 09:55 AM

For a truly underrated performance of Spoon, check out 1/29/99 D+T. Dave's vocals are heartfelt.

dancheatham 08-06-2022 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERoths711 (Post 18244922)
hauntingly beautiful

There it is again!

YankeesDMB41 08-06-2022 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancheatham (Post 18244987)
There it is again!

I've been counting. That's the 7,645th time that phrase has been used on these boards. Second place is "canned horns" at 6,842, and third is "Set flow" just over 5,300.

btpeters 08-06-2022 12:05 PM

Where are we at with “wall of sound”?

I’m sure there’s been a decline in “skree” the last 4-5 years

btpeters 08-06-2022 12:07 PM

“Foundational Butch” was another classic

YankeesDMB41 08-06-2022 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btpeters (Post 18245014)
Where are we at with “wall of sound”?

I’m sure there’s been a decline in “skree” the last 4-5 years

"Wall of sound" was #1 from 2009-2016.

Matt83 08-06-2022 12:42 PM

http://images.uncyc.org/commons/1/15/Icecream6gyfc2.jpg

For images, that has to be in top reposts. 🐸

Springraces 08-06-2022 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardinal (Post 18244897)

I will post in here everyday if you do until the album is released. Challenge accepted? We may be very old, and it truly might just be the two of us left standing. But can you imagine the immense joy that will have been worth the wait?