Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Album Coming in One Week! (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354555)

ToySoldier#34 02-10-2021 11:53 AM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17893197)
It's not your fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtkST5-ZFHw

Crash1983 02-10-2021 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17893076)
We all heard Windows and Ocean and Butterfly right? ;)

But other than that, not to my knowledge

Well played Bruce :p

grilldanmo 02-10-2021 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gssu41 (Post 17893089)
Mediamass.net appears to be pure clickbait BS. I was looking for info about a possible new Lyle Lovett album (don't judge - I have varied tastes :)) and found this:

The bold section is the only reason to judge you (or Ruth...see what I did there?).

There's absolutely no reason to feel shame for liking any music, especially Lyle Lovett.

I just watched the show he and Jason Isbell did on 1/29 and they were BOTH excellent.

grilldanmo 02-10-2021 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alec (Post 17893139)
Be sure to drink your Ovaltine.

noice...

NeatFreakGeek 02-10-2021 01:35 PM

what the hell is this site? did you see the "related articles?"
and then
forgetting the fact that the article doesn't say anything about a BAND, what a waste of pixels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crushme5 (Post 17893043)
Saw this article this morning.

Anything new here?

https://en.mediamass.net/people/dave...new-album.html

Highlights:
According to a source, rumors of Dave Matthews (from Dave Matthews Band) working in recording studio are true, with as many as eight songs having been put to tape. “It’s still in the early stages,” “He’s got security on the doors to ensure no-one hears a whisper,” a source said.

Dave Matthews is rumored to be planning a worldwide tour at the end of 2022.
When contacted, a representative had no information on a new album, or any of the singer’s future plans.

TheStone91 02-10-2021 07:57 PM

Dang. I was hoping Windows wasn’t going to be a new album song. Good song, but it’s perfect for what it was/is - a one-off, COVID-inspired song to give people hope.

Don’t really see it “fitting in” on a full band album...

ElijahSoRight72 02-10-2021 08:12 PM

If that was indeed a cheeky way to tell us Windows will be on the album, I'm cool with that. I think if they put the band on it, it could be something special all over again. Hopefully it's not just Dave acoustic. Either way I really love the song, and if we get an official studio version, I'll be happy. It still represents what we're going through...

CapnHani06 02-11-2021 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElijahSoRight72 (Post 17893701)
If that was indeed a cheeky way to tell us Windows will be on the album, I'm cool with that. I think if they put the band on it, it could be something special all over again. Hopefully it's not just Dave acoustic. Either way I really love the song, and if we get an official studio version, I'll be happy. It still represents what we're going through...

Still a little perplexed that this wasn't released as a one-off single to raise money early in the pandemic, but I would for sure still love an official cut on the next record.

eggsrsweet 02-11-2021 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnHani06 (Post 17894172)
Still a little perplexed that this wasn't released as a one-off single to raise money early in the pandemic, but I would for sure still love an official cut on the next record.

Agreed. There's so many things this band/mgmt passes up that seem like such obvious great ideas. I feel like Coran or someone would've had to have tossed that out there as a suggestion. And if so, why wouldn't they (Dave) want to release it? Just honestly makes no sense.

Really impressive how quick Dave wrote it too. He debuted it on 3/26... only about two weeks after the country really started to lockdown.

HonestDenver1 02-12-2021 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eggsrsweet (Post 17894206)
Agreed. There's so many things this band/mgmt passes up that seem like such obvious great ideas. I feel like Coran or someone would've had to have tossed that out there as a suggestion. And if so, why wouldn't they (Dave) want to release it? Just honestly makes no sense.

Really impressive how quick Dave wrote it too. He debuted it on 3/26... only about two weeks after the country really started to lockdown.

My guess is the song was already structured before the pandemic, maybe with different lyrics all together... I think he said he wrote this as a poem first right?

Cptn. Monkeyman 02-12-2021 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestDenver1 (Post 17894811)
My guess is the song was already structured before the pandemic, maybe with different lyrics all together... I think he said he wrote this as a poem first right?

I think I remember hearing him say he'd been working on it for a bit, and then when the pandemic hit, the rest of the song just poured out of him.

Xcacel 02-12-2021 09:46 PM

New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17894821)
I think I remember hearing him say he'd been working on it for a bit, and then when the pandemic hit, the rest of the song just poured out of him.

He said once at one of those live from home that the song was inspired by watching the news, when COVID was hitting Italy.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-51886547

I remember those early stages of lockdown, that feeling of unity and hope didn’t last long.

Dodo36 02-13-2021 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17894821)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcacel (Post 17895070)
He said once at one of those live from home that the song was inspired by watching the news, when COVID was hitting Italy.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-51886547

I remember those early stages of lockdown, that feeling of unity and hope didn’t last long.

it's a rare song that is written that linearly. He had probably been working on the music for a while and didn't have a lyric he felt strong enough to hang on it until he was watching the news while Italy was being hit.

ericvol 02-14-2021 07:28 AM

Hoping for some album info this week on Tuesday. No idea why just feel like it’s time.

dontdrink36 02-14-2021 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericvol (Post 17895600)
Hoping for some album info this week on Tuesday. No idea why just feel like it’s time.

I want you to be right but I think any info would be coupled with the tour status announcement. I think they wait a while longer before officially moving dates.

ElijahSoRight72 02-14-2021 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17895604)
I want you to be right but I think any info would be coupled with the tour status announcement. I think they wait a while longer before officially moving dates.

Yeah I was looking up how long they took last year to push dates, and I know it was a very different situation since it was at the very beginning of all of this- but it wasn’t until freakin’ May. I’m not sure they’ll wait that long this time, but could still have plenty of waiting on our hands.

eggsrsweet 02-14-2021 12:09 PM

Lmao we aren't hearing anything till April or May at the absolute earliest. I think a lot of the waiting has to do with them trying to schedule dates. They have to fight for dates with every other artist in the damn world who is going to want to be back on the road next year. I personally don't think they'll reschedule to the Fall; too risky. My guess is most likely they'll push the entire tour to 2022. And then, if things are good, they'll do a small Fall tour later this year in some smaller venues; venues that are struggling and stuff like that. Hopefully the album will be out by then.

But that all makes too much sense. So, I could be completely wrong.

greyson1289 02-14-2021 12:17 PM

Tour update on February 15th??? No shot.

We aren't hearing anything from the band/ management until April at the earliest. My guess is first week of May.

jssmith6 02-16-2021 02:20 PM

It sure would be nice for the WH to:
1. give us info on album
2. release the next LT (pre 2008)
3. Just give us any type of news...

Aforauer 02-16-2021 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jssmith6 (Post 17897314)
It sure would be nice for the WH to:
1. give us info on album
2. release the next LT (pre 2008)
3. Just give us any type of news...

They can’t do that. It would actually require a little bit of effort on their part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheStone91 02-16-2021 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aforauer (Post 17897333)
They can’t do that. It would actually require a little bit of effort on their part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lol’d. So true though.

freddykrueger 02-17-2021 05:29 AM

...odds that the delay on news is because some of the tracks in consideration have Boyd on them? I know that they recorded entirely new songs in the fall but maybe they’re considering ones from the vault.

This could also be completely incorrect.

dontdrink36 02-17-2021 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freddykrueger (Post 17897590)
...odds that the delay on news is because some of the tracks in consideration have Boyd on them? I know that they recorded entirely new songs in the fall but maybe they’re considering ones from the vault.

This could also be completely incorrect.

There are better odds that they sell out Sofi Stadium next week with no restrictions than Boyd being on the album.

KevinTH 02-17-2021 06:05 AM

BT is gone and isn’t coming back, friends. It’s been a long stretch since we’ve gotten any news, but I feel like this is different than other scrapped sessions and it will see the light of day. Just be patient. There’s plenty of music out there to tie yourself over in the meantime. If they haven’t said anything yet, it’s because there’s a reason.

grilldanmo 02-17-2021 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinTH (Post 17897609)
BT is gone and isn’t coming back, friends. It’s been a long stretch since we’ve gotten any news, but I feel like this is different than other scrapped sessions and it will see the light of day. Just be patient. There’s plenty of music out there to tie yourself over in the meantime. If they haven’t said anything yet, it’s because there’s a reason.

Of course there's a REASON.

We just want to know:
- what it is,
- what they ate for lunch each day,
- if Timmy's still playing the Supros,
- which basses Fonz used,
- if Dave's Rockbridge OO made the record,
- did Jeff get some real solos,
- how are they incorporating keys fully into the band's sound in the studio,
- are there older/vault tunes on the album,
- are the new songs any damn good
- does Dave own any shirts that aren't black or charcoal grey,
- when the HELL are they going announce ANYTHING
- what's the fucking release date,
- why AM I YELL TYPING, and
- EVERY-OTHER-G-DAMNED-THING...ALL OF IT!!!

Is that really too much to ask or expect?

I really don't think it is.

As to patience...I've been holed up in this house for the overwhelming majority of the last 11 months. Patience has never been stretched so thin, so PATIENCE CAN EAT A BAG OF DICKS.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled postings.

ToySoldier#34 02-17-2021 07:31 AM

I really don't need any album details, whenever something comes out that's cool

dontdrink36 02-17-2021 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17897686)

This. I dont NEED any details. Im cool chilling till it comes out or is announced or whatever. But I do WANT some details. DMB is still my favorite band and the one I spend the most time and money on. If they did an old school Big Whiskey style hype train leading up I'd consume all of it. If they pull a more modern surprise release id drop what I'm doing and listen. Id also be cool with any and everything in between.

davetripping02 02-17-2021 11:48 AM

or just release a single and say new album coming "soon" to hold us over for the next 5 months.

KClaw 02-17-2021 11:52 AM

Me in December: Hey I think we will have a new album in the spring of 2021!

Me now: They are never releasing a studio album again.

The radio silence is torture.

BTBaboon 02-17-2021 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17897686)

I feel this way too - but I think that’s a bad thing for the band that I (and many others) feel that way.

It’s because I just don’t care enough anymore and don’t feel their output is worth much excitement. I listen to DMB far less frequently than I used to - a mix of recent studio duds, a lot of subpar live output of late (shoving 2018 and onward down our throats), lack of streaming availability, and over-listening to the good stuff that they have released.

I went through a phase where I was bummed by my declining interest. Now I’m in acceptance. Whenever they want to put out new music is fine. I’ll probably listen and be very meh on it at best. I’m in no rush to hear what I anticipate will be an album that ranks somewhere above Stand Up and somewhere below BW/AFTW (depending on your inclinations about those 2).