Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Album Coming in One Week! (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354555)

Dankguitar 01-12-2022 03:45 AM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 18108838)
Are we getting close to the point in their album process where a group of random Canadian children are smuggled into a remote house to drunk Dave in the wee hours of the morning to play a track yet?

Hahaha that was so bizarre but we were so excited for new music and that small clip of music was such great PR…we didn’t care about the awkwardness at that point

djamieb 01-12-2022 05:35 AM

Quote:

Are we getting close to the point in their album process where a group of random Canadian children are smuggled into a remote house to drunk Dave in the wee hours of the morning to play a track yet?

Ahahaha!! Just the way you phrased this. Well played. :lol

kmb40oz 01-12-2022 07:00 AM

Melody and music are more important than lyrics. You could have amazing lyrics but it the song doesn't sound good it's not a good song.

DMBCardinal 01-12-2022 07:08 AM

Lyrics have very little importance to me. I just want it to sound good.

bibby1044 01-12-2022 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dankguitar (Post 18108912)
Hahaha that was so bizarre but we were so excited for new music and that small clip of music was such great PR…we didn’t care about the awkwardness at that point

Yeah at that time when it first came out it was great. Looking back on it, it was so so weird haha. The awkward dancing and Dave’s awkward grin from the corner.

grilldanmo 01-12-2022 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmb40oz (Post 18108970)
Melody and music are more important than lyrics. You could have amazing lyrics but it the song doesn't sound good it's not a good song.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBCardinal (Post 18108976)
Lyrics have very little importance to me. I just want it to sound good.

My perspective as well (as I've often stated).

But there's about as much agreement on what constitutes a good sounding song as there is about which of Dave's lyrics are good (or bad). I love the music for the song Come Tomorrow, regardless of the lyrics. Most of the folks that hate the song complain about the lyrics.

ToySoldier#34 01-12-2022 09:32 AM

Melody does matter to me more than lyrics overall but certain progressions need to have at least half decent lyrics to work. Songs like WWYS, SMTS, BOWA are interesting and melodic enough where they don't need deep lyrics written over them to work, a repeating progression like Seek Up and Dreaming Tree pop because of the storytelling and imagery much more than the instrumentation.

jaymas9 01-12-2022 11:11 AM

Quote:

:lol:lol:lol I hope we're at that point.

RSSR 01-12-2022 11:27 AM

Some of the harshest, most scholarly critics this place has of DMB gave that Grux clip a standing ovation when that video was made public.

DaveHead77 01-12-2022 12:47 PM

Saw something on Twitter about some new DMB news possibly coming out soon but it doesn’t look like that’s the case. See y’all in a few weeks!

madhatter 01-12-2022 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveHead77 (Post 18109252)
Saw something on Twitter about some new DMB news possibly coming out soon but it doesn’t look like that’s the case. See y’all in a few weeks!

Why do you say it doesn't look like that's the case? Most recent rumors that I've seen seem to suggest some news may be coming next week.

spider-man 01-12-2022 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmb40oz (Post 18108970)

ummmmm...lyrics matter. Shotty lyrics just make me cringe

RSSR 01-12-2022 03:15 PM

I never thought of Dave as this amazing lyricist, he's good sometimes but when he's on, he averages out as maybe above average in rock history.

ericvol 01-12-2022 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bibby1044 (Post 18108783)
Just let it be tomorrow already.

I’m guessing 18th or 25th.

ToySoldier#34 01-12-2022 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 18109464)
I never thought of Dave as this amazing lyricist, he's good sometimes but when he's on, he averages out as maybe above average in rock history.

He isn't really, he's off the charts in other ways

BarkRock 01-12-2022 05:00 PM

The Only Thing doesn't get enough praise. Sounds really good.

Couple of cringe lyrics, but overall, feel good tune with some funk. Better than She, for those who compare it.

Madman's Eyes is great, Walk around the moon is good too. Only cringe part in WATM is the "You-a-who-who"

Think this album will be good.

Gunz 01-12-2022 06:31 PM

I’ve always considered Dave an exceptional lyricist. I like his style.

TwoStep2888 01-12-2022 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunz (Post 18109645)

:thumbsup

RSSR 01-12-2022 09:09 PM

What happens first, we learn what LT59 is or we get the announcement from the Warehouse a new album is on the way? Assuming we also get the album’s name in that announcement.

jwrice5 01-13-2022 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunz (Post 18109645)

I did like his style, but he’s got so much cheese on his lyrics now it can be embarrassing.

His style of writing up through BS was awesome; I love it. But his ability to be poetic with his lyrics was brutally destroyed by Ballard (though I do think ED has aged well and I do like the album better than anything they’ve put out since).

His wordiness on the big 3 worked because it was filled with imagery and metaphors, and it had good meter, flow, and rhyme schemes (when needed and not forced)… since Ballard it has all been stripped down to “say exactly what you’re thinking in a few words as possible”. To me, that just isn’t very interesting.

There are flashes of that old style here and there, but for the most part the songwriting and especially the lyrics have not recovered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunz 01-13-2022 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwrice5 (Post 18109728)
I did like his style, but he’s got so much cheese on his lyrics now it can be embarrassing.

His style of writing up through BS was awesome; I love it. But his ability to be poetic with his lyrics was brutally destroyed by Ballard (though I do think ED has aged well and I do like the album better than anything they’ve put out since).

His wordiness on the big 3 worked because it was filled with imagery and metaphors, and it had good meter, flow, and rhyme schemes (when needed and not forced)… since Ballard it has all been stripped down to “say exactly what you’re thinking in a few words as possible”. To me, that just isn’t very interesting.

There are flashes of that old style here and there, but for the most part the songwriting and especially the lyrics have not recovered.

I can get on board with this. My only disagreement with this post is that while I really dig everyday, I do prefer the little red bird ep.

Age and $300 million might water some things down.

bibby1044 01-13-2022 06:28 AM

Write a song, beach ball, and little red bird are better than most of big whiskey haha. I still listen to those 3 regularly. The live version with the jam on beach ball is one of best things they ahhave done since that album release.

monizzle145 01-13-2022 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bibby1044 (Post 18109812)
Write a song, beach ball, and little red bird are better than most of big whiskey haha. I still listen to those 3 regularly. The live version with the jam on beach ball is one of best things they ahhave done since that album release.

Agreed Dave's selection of songs for the album and or fear of vulnerable songs is what frustrates me. Post Ballard he has some well written songs like the 3 you mentioned and:

Shotgun, Break Free, Break For It, A Dream So Real, Kill The King, Lying in the Hands of God, The Riff, Broken Things, Black & Bluebird, Bismark, Virginia in the Rain, Sugar Will etc.

BarkRock 01-13-2022 07:51 AM

IMO, the only 4 songs that we know that should be on the new album are:

The Only Thing
Madman's Eyes
Walk around the moon
Bismark

Ocean could also fit potentially? Rest are too old to bring back at this point.

I also don't get the dream so real fandom. Very boring IMO, but to each their own. Jackpot is better.

jwrice5 01-13-2022 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monizzle145 (Post 18109832)
Agreed Dave's selection of songs for the album and or fear of vulnerable songs is what frustrates me. Post Ballard he has some well written songs like the 3 you mentioned and:

Shotgun, Break Free, Break For It, A Dream So Real, Kill The King, Lying in the Hands of God, The Riff, Broken Things, Black & Bluebird, Bismark, Virginia in the Rain, Sugar Will etc.

And pretty much all of these are examples where his “wordiness” worked really well. No surprise that these are also my favorites that they’ve played since his style-shift.

ElijahSoRight72 01-13-2022 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 18109711)
What happens first, we learn what LT59 is or we get the announcement from the Warehouse a new album is on the way? Assuming we also get the album’s name in that announcement.

My hope is that if the album is really coming out in Q2 (and before June), that we should get pretty much everything from the announcement. Album name, cover art, tracklist, pre-order packages etc. Because 1.) they’ve had most of the album done for over a year, there shouldn’t be much last minute scrambling; and 2.) it would be releasing in April or May so really just a few months from now, it should be somewhat finalized.

madhatter 01-13-2022 08:09 AM

Ocean and Singing From the Windows could potentially be on it, and both are probably more likely than Bismarck (as much as I would love to have Bismarck)

There's also four titles out there for songs that we haven't heard yet.

RSSR 01-13-2022 08:18 AM

I love A Dream So Real. Always did since it debuted in '07. Love Roi's work on it. Love we have it on LT42 finally.

#MDMBGA 01-13-2022 09:41 AM

Hanson just announced a world tour and three new albums in one to celebrate their 30 years as a band. Time for DMB to get with the program.

ElijahSoRight72 01-13-2022 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 18109923)
I love A Dream So Real. Always did since it debuted in '07. Love Roi's work on it. Love we have it on LT42 finally.

LT42 is underrated. That Loving Wings with I Dream of Jeannie interpolation is also a big highlight for me, and the extended If I Had It All.

I don't think we'll be seeing ADSR on the new album but the whiteboard shows us they at least revisited it.