Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Album Coming in One Week! (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354555)

Cscottrun 09-26-2020 06:26 PM

New Album Coming in One Week!

The last new album thread was locked because it was full of a ton of fake information...but Dave just said during the Farm Aid stream that he is in Cville (presumably Haunted Hollow) writing/recording with Carter. I suppose that these sessions could potentially go into the vault, never to be heard, but for now, let's assume/hope that a new album comes of them soon.

I am excited to hear that Dave and Carter are writing together (instead of Dave alone which yields songs like TGIY).

ryguy637 09-26-2020 06:30 PM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Watch it here: https://youtu.be/hrNb_dLQYtU

It’s right after DDTW

YankeesDMB41 09-27-2020 05:21 AM

Singing From the Windows is a fantastic song. I would think that would be part of that session.

hmich176 09-27-2020 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17792460)
I suppose that these sessions could potentially go into the vault, never to be heard, but for now, let's assume/hope that a new album comes of them soon.

I have to assume it's the opposite, because Dave, while I hope that a new album does come sometime soon.

Cptn. Monkeyman 09-27-2020 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 (Post 17792554)
Singing From the Windows is a fantastic song. I would think that would be part of that session.

It is a good song, but I don’t think it needs to be on a DMB album. Either way, it is great to hear Dave and Carter back at it in the Cville studio. Hope something comes of this. I wonder if they are working on brand new music, or if they’re touching up old material.

Cscottrun 09-27-2020 06:04 AM

Here's the direct link to what Dave said:

https://youtu.be/hrNb_dLQYtU?t=4203

Cscottrun 09-27-2020 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17792559)
It is a good song, but I don’t think it needs to be on a DMB album. Either way, it is great to hear Dave and Carter back at it in the Cville studio. Hope something comes of this. I wonder if they are working on brand new music, or if they’re touching up old material.

I would lean towards the latter. My biggest question is who the producer is/is going to be.

grilldanmo 09-27-2020 09:11 AM

Ima be a the dick and point out that there was no mention of recording. They could be jamming outside (like on a porch) or in any space where there is space...

They could have been recording as much they wanted to at this point. The Barenaked Ladies went back into the studio months ago. Joe Kwon went back to NC from CA more than two weeks early so he could quarantine before practicing and performing w/ the Avetts at their raceway concert. Again, the band owes us nothing, but if they wanted to record and/or perform they could.

The easiest thing they could do is just release some of the two or so albums worth of complete and recorded, but that's seemingly not on their radar.

monizzle145 09-27-2020 10:34 AM

I hope it's more Sessions where they are messing around and maybe float 1 unreleased song in 2021. These new albums keep screwing up the current era setlist flow.

grilldanmo 09-27-2020 11:14 AM

As to the main topic of the thread, YES PLEASE to a new album.

I want to hear more from the band, more stuff that I'm either less familiar with or (ideally) I've never heard before. The hope is that it grab us and we love it, but it'll get an objective listen as always. They've laid a coupla eggs thus far, so there's no guarantee of quality. As fans of CT, we haven't had any issues w/ the new tunes in sets...it's the ED and SU tunes that present an issue for me (less so for my wife, but she'd rather hear other stuff too).

monizzle145 09-27-2020 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 17792658)
As to the main topic of the thread, YES PLEASE to a new album.

I want to hear more from the band, more stuff that I'm either less familiar with or (ideally) I've never heard before. The hope is that it grab us and we love it, but it'll get an objective listen as always. They've laid a coupla eggs thus far, so there's no guarantee of quality. As fans of CT, we haven't had any issues w/ the new tunes in sets...it's the ED and SU tunes that present an issue for me (less so for my wife, but she'd rather hear other stuff too).

The band is way past peak from a musical and lyrical standpoint. The title song Come Tomorrow had a lot of potential but lyrically was subpar. Musically it puts me (and other people to sleep) at the live show. Not to mention the best songs from Come Tomorrow weren't played live often 2018 forward (virginia in the rain, black and bluebird, idea of you).

Case in point of why they shouldn't drop a new album is 2014-16. They floated some experimental songs like death on the high seas and bismark which were awesome and cut some of AFTW out to allow for classics to come back. Pre Covid they were doing that with the vegas and AZ shows.

To have a new album that would flood setlists instead of classic songs coming back (including from AFTW in the riff and drunken soldier) would horrible. Dave can't write like he used to and anything post roi from a musicality standpoint has been inconsistent.

jmkratt 09-27-2020 11:39 AM

Doesn’t Dave spend a vast majority of his time in WA now? I think the fact he was in VA is telling but who knows.

ElijahSoRight72 09-27-2020 11:42 AM

I wonder if the songs they're working on right now will be a part of the sessions reportedly happening before the pandemic.

Definitely wanting a full band Singing From The Windows, could be even more powerful with Carter laying down a groove- hopefully not the Mercy route.

BTCS_JTR 09-27-2020 12:10 PM

Studio Bismarck, and more sax please

dontdrink36 09-27-2020 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTCS_JTR (Post 17792673)

Yes! This needs to happen next album

willndmb 09-27-2020 05:04 PM

No interest in a new album if it is Batson based or anywhere near as bad as CT is

ToySoldier#34 09-27-2020 05:11 PM

I'd be really excited for a new album, would like a few aggressive and powerful songs. A lot of us have commented on him shifting to dad rock now that he is comfortable in life and married with kids but you'd think there is enough going on in the world to be pissed off about to write some darker songs.

Cptn. Monkeyman 09-27-2020 05:15 PM

Do we really want them jamming a full band song about the 2020 quarantine in say, 2025? I don’t think singing from the windows is the kind of songs they need to be working on full band. It’s quite clearly a COVID-19 song. Keep it as such by playing it for these live at home shows. Beautiful song, but it is what it is. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Cptn. Monkeyman 09-27-2020 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willndmb (Post 17792895)
No interest in a new album if it is Batson based or anywhere near as bad as CT is

Part of me thinks Batson will be apart of it at least for a couple of his older songs like Break Free / Kill the King.

But what I really hope for is an entire Rob Cavallo record. Bismarck, DOTHS, Sugar Will and another 10 brand new tunes with Rob.

ToySoldier#34 09-27-2020 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17792898)
Do we really want them jamming a full band song about the 2020 quarantine in say, 2025? I don’t think singing from the windows is the kind of songs they need to be working on full band. It’s quite clearly a COVID-19 song. Keep it as such by playing it for these live at home shows. Beautiful song, but it is what it is. Am I the only one who feels this way?

It's a topic everyone relates to and will always be historically significant, things are different than when Cry Freedom was written but it still works because it's a beautiful song.

willndmb 09-27-2020 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17792901)
Part of me thinks Batson will be apart of it at least for a couple of his older songs like Break Free / Kill the King.

But what I really hope for is an entire Rob Cavallo record. Bismarck, DOTHS, Sugar Will and another 10 brand new tunes with Rob.

:thumbsup

jmkratt 09-27-2020 05:37 PM

Quote:

Absolutely agree.

dontdrink36 09-27-2020 06:46 PM

Quote:

Agree with this. Its a nice little tune. No need to give it the full band treatment. It does have some universal themes but when the war is over this song needs to be over too

dontdrink36 09-27-2020 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17792905)
It's a topic everyone relates to and will always be historically significant, things are different than when Cry Freedom was written but it still works because it's a beautiful song.

Cry Freedom is a much better song than this one.

ToySoldier#34 09-27-2020 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17792957)
Cry Freedom is a much better song than this one.

Cry Freedom is also a better song than most songs

dontdrink36 09-27-2020 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17792968)
Cry Freedom is also a better song than most songs

True, which makes it better than Windows by orders of magnitude.

ToySoldier#34 09-27-2020 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17792971)
True, which makes it better than Windows by orders of magnitude.

Yes I agree

ElijahSoRight72 09-27-2020 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17792901)

I've been on this train since BW. But clearly if the fall through of the 2012-2016 studio sessions with Rob is any indication, it looks like we don't get another album with him. It's a shame, because he is the best thing for this version of DMB.

eggsrsweet 09-28-2020 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monizzle145 (Post 17792651)
I hope it's more Sessions where they are messing around and maybe float 1 unreleased song in 2021. These new albums keep screwing up the current era setlist flow.

The reason they screw up the setlist is because the albums are ass. If the album is good, the setlists are good.

Quote:

Not to get political but if we re-elect the incumbent, I can assure you, COVID-19 will be relevant for awhile.

jaymas9 09-28-2020 06:20 AM

Quote:

Pretty much all my requirements at this point. Somehow it's most likely too much to ask for.

ToySoldier#34 09-28-2020 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eggsrsweet (Post 17793102)
The reason they screw up the setlist is because the albums are ass. If the album is good, the setlists are good

It depends though, the songs off SU are better live than CT, CT is a better album than SU. Not many of the songs people want on a new album are great live songs but would make for a great listen on an album, DoTHS for example. I agree with your general point for the most part but they don't necessarily go hand in hand.

DMBvol41 09-28-2020 07:44 AM

Quote:

Completely agree

scottpr 09-28-2020 07:45 AM

Quote:

It was already recorded in studio, and sounded good.

BruceW 09-28-2020 07:47 AM

Quote:

Fuck yes to both. Much more studio sax
Quote:

Agreed
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottpr (Post 17793149)

Oh yes! Hopefully it makes the cut this time around

BTBaboon 09-28-2020 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17793107)
It depends though, the songs off SU are better live than CT, CT is a better album than SU. Not many of the songs people want on a new album are great live songs but would make for a great listen on an album, DoTHS for example. I agree with your general point for the most part but they don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Kill the King, Break Free, Bismarck, Crazy Easy

4 pretty good-to-great live cuts that people want on a new album. I'm hesitant to throw in Sugar Will, just because I know the fan-base is rather split on the tune in the live setting.

nickdi913 09-28-2020 07:54 AM

Rumor is Boyd is also there w/ Dave & Carter....

dontdrink36 09-28-2020 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdi913 (Post 17793157)

Source on this?

crushme5 09-28-2020 07:57 AM

Quote:

Woah! You’re kidding right?

haiku.warrior 09-28-2020 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTBaboon (Post 17793156)

4 pretty good-to-great live cuts that people want on a new album. I'm hesitant to throw in Sugar Will, just because I know the fan-base is rather split on the tune in the live setting.

Replace Bismarck with Blackjack and I'd be a happy camper. Would love to see an official release of Sugar Will one day also

mquerques92 09-28-2020 08:27 AM

Quote:

Are people split on the song in a live setting in general, or is it just the current live arrangement?

BTBaboon 09-28-2020 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mquerques92 (Post 17793176)
Are people split on the song in a live setting in general, or is it just the current live arrangement?

Maybe a little from column A, column B.

I love the song on live recordings. I can understand how in the moment, at a show, it may sap some energy out of the setlist flow. The repetitive (and, on occasion, drawn out) intro and no "peak" in the song can be a bit of a snoozer for folks.

BruceW 09-28-2020 08:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by crushme5 (Post 17793160)
Woah! You’re kidding right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17793159)
Source on this?

:lol :lol

ToySoldier#34 09-28-2020 08:41 AM

Quote:

I'd absolutely love Kill the King on a new album, have always thought Break Free is overrated, indifferent about Bismarck, Crazy Easy is the cats tits. I'd trade Break Free for Run While We Can / Break for It which I'm sure is probably a less common preference.

Sugar Will was the best song from the last very mediocre DMB show I saw

mquerques92 09-28-2020 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTBaboon (Post 17793181)
Maybe a little from column A, column B.

I love the song on live recordings. I can understand how in the moment, at a show, it may sap some energy out of the setlist flow. The repetitive (and, on occasion, drawn out) intro and no "peak" in the song can be a bit of a snoozer for folks.

I think if they went back to Dave playing the main part instead of the horns, I'd love to hear it a few times a year (even a super long version here and there). As it is now, I'd be ok not hearing it at a show again.

mquerques92 09-28-2020 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17793190)
I'd absolutely love Kill the King on a new album, have always thought Break Free is overrated, indifferent about Bismarck, Crazy Easy is the cats tits. I'd trade Break Free for Run While We Can / Break for It which I'm sure is probably a less common preference.

Sugar Will was the best song from the last very mediocre DMB show I saw

I'd take Break for It over Break Free 100% of the time

dontdrink36 09-28-2020 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17793185)

I mean surely Boyd isn't there. We have a pretty fucking solid source in Dave saying he and Carter were together. It seems like if Boyd were there we would have some kind of proof.

For the record, I have no desire for Boyd to rejoin DMB ever again. His inability to play his instrument and lack of giving a fuck about his craft should disqualify him from ever coming back.

I'd be cool with a violin, but not Boyd. Though the violin returning to DMB is about as likely as Boyd being a part of the Dave and Carter jam sessions.

daveshookme 09-28-2020 12:49 PM

Writing new material != new album

ElijahSoRight72 09-28-2020 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottpr (Post 17793149)

Yeah all the insiders around here who heard it, or knew someone who had, said they really nailed it. Which makes me doubt we'll hear it anytime soon.

Even though Dave said he was writing with Carter, I still hope Kill the King and Break Free still have a chance to be worked on for the next album. IF they don't copy/paste like on CT.

Speaking of insiders..... anybody have anything new to add about what's happening? :D

jmkratt 09-28-2020 03:26 PM

Sugarwill is the shit.

dontdrink36 09-28-2020 03:27 PM

If we get a new album and its a mash up of old and new my ideal album would be something like this.

Bismarck
Break Free
Death on the High Seas
Sugar Will
Crazy Easy
Good Good Time
6-8 new tunes

Jeff being prominently featured as the primary soloist.

Jamima2fl 09-28-2020 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17793547)
If we get a new album and its a mash up of old and new my ideal album would be something like this.

Bismarck
Break Free
Death on the High Seas
Sugar Will
Crazy Easy
Good Good Time
6-8 new tunes

I'll take Shotgun over Crazy Easy all day.

dontdrink36 09-28-2020 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamima2fl (Post 17793596)
I'll take Shotgun over Crazy Easy all day.

I like Shotgun but not nearly as much as Crazy Easy. I'd be fine with it on the album. But I dont need any old songs on a new album

monizzle145 09-28-2020 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eggsrsweet (Post 17793102)
The reason they screw up the setlist is because the albums are ass. If the album is good, the setlists are good.

Not to get political but if we re-elect the incumbent, I can assure you, COVID-19 will be relevant for awhile.

Disagree 100% If they only played the best 5 songs from AFTW and skipped the mediocre songs sets would be vastly different. Same with Come Tomorrow. Same goes for Everyday. Dave post roi has had a habit of not playing his best songs often like Broken Things, The Riff, Drunken Soldier, Black and Bluebird, Virginia in the Rain, etc.

monizzle145 09-28-2020 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17793547)

Bismarck
Break Free
Death on the High Seas
Sugar Will
Crazy Easy
Good Good Time
6-8 new tunes

Trusting Dave to write 6-8 new tunes is a huge risk. I would say maybe 3 or 4 new tunes max.

ToySoldier#34 09-28-2020 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17793598)
I like Shotgun but not nearly as much as Crazy Easy. I'd be fine with it on the album. But I dont need any old songs on a new album

I agree, I like both but if I had to choose one I'm going with Crazy Easy, especially if Jeff did anything close to how Roi used to play on it

dontdrink36 09-28-2020 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monizzle145 (Post 17793604)
Trusting Dave to write 6-8 new tunes is a huge risk. I would say maybe 3 or 4 new tunes max.

I'm sure he is more than capable of writing 6-8 more songs that are good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17793608)
I agree, I like both but if I had to choose one I'm going with Crazy Easy, especially if Jeff did anything close to how Roi used to play on it

I'm hoping that this time off leads to a more sax centric sound.

Cptn. Monkeyman 09-28-2020 05:39 PM

Agreed about Crazy Easy. Shotgun is a more powerful song, it’s very good. But I’ll take Crazy Easy 9/10 times. It’s got a classic DMB sound to me, and I love the jazzy verse/jam section. One of Roi’s best.

ToySoldier#34 09-28-2020 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17793621)

Not sure if you listen to much of Jeff's music outside of DMB but he is such an awesome jazz player, even listening to him talk about music he's obsessed with jazz and has all these fascinating stories. It's crazy to me that they haven't channeled that into studio work with DMB. He isn't going to be Roi on Crazy Easy, Roi had his own unique voice, but Jeff is more than capable of making Crazy Easy shine and adding a jazz feel throughout a DMB album.

ViTR, DoTHS and a few others have a Radiohead type feel. I'd love DMB's direction to be split between the Radiohead type stuff, aggressive stuff that's all over the place like Kill the King which is very old school DMB in terms of structure, and jazz type playing.

dontdrink36 09-28-2020 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17793660)
Not sure if you listen to much of Jeff's music outside of DMB but he is such an awesome jazz player, even listening to him talk about music he's obsessed with jazz and has all these fascinating stories. It's crazy to me that they haven't channeled that into studio work with DMB. He isn't going to be Roi on Crazy Easy, Roi had his own unique voice, but Jeff is more than capable of making Crazy Easy shine and adding a jazz feel throughout a DMB album.

ViTR, DoTHS and a few others have a Radiohead type feel. I'd love DMB's direction to be split between the Radiohead type stuff, aggressive stuff that's all over the place like Kill the King which is very old school DMB in terms of structure, and jazz type playing.

I really like Jeff's other work. He is criminally under utilized in DMB.

ElijahSoRight72 09-28-2020 06:24 PM

I'm going with Crazy Easy too, mostly because at this point, it would be so freakin difficult to nail the potential Shotgun has. I think seeing what happened to Idea of You showed me that if they don't really take the time with it, it could be a waste. Crazy Easy would be simpler to make a great studio version. And god I love Jeff soloing over the last chorus in both Bismarck and CE.

Dannyyankou 09-28-2020 07:07 PM

I take everything with a grain of salt these days. It was looking like they were working on a new album in 2014, which they were, but it took 4 years to get it.

ToySoldier#34 09-28-2020 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyyankou (Post 17793706)
I take everything with a grain of salt these days. It was looking like they were working on a new album in 2014, which they were, but it took 4 years to get it.

But I think this guarantees we see an album in the next half decade which is very exciting

Dannyyankou 09-28-2020 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmkratt (Post 17793545)
Sugarwill is the shit.

There’s a studio version with Leroi. I want it.

Cptn. Monkeyman 09-28-2020 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmkratt (Post 17793545)
Sugarwill is the shit.

Indeed

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyyankou (Post 17793710)
There’s a studio version with Leroi. I want it.

Is this confirmed? I know the rumors that they went into the studio in 2004, but do we have any confirmation that the songs worked on were actually recorded? That would be one of the best demo sessions the band could offer.

Fpuonpko 09-28-2020 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17793725)
Indeed

Is this confirmed? I know the rumors that they went into the studio in 2004, but do we have any confirmation that the songs worked on were actually recorded? That would be one of the best demo sessions the band could offer.

yes, in April 2004 there is confirmation the band recorded at Haunted Hollow. sugar will was recorded, as was half of stand up. they also re-recorded OSW, Recently and TSTJL

BTCS_JTR 09-28-2020 07:44 PM

Current Sugar Will doesn't make it move for me

Dannyyankou 09-28-2020 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17793725)
Indeed

Yeah there’s even a short clip of it from one of the early big whiskey sessions

https://youtu.be/sQWXMWC4e08

ToySoldier#34 09-28-2020 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTCS_JTR (Post 17793744)
Current Sugar Will doesn't make it move for me

You should see a doctor and play a recent version from YouTube, see if they have any thoughts

BruceW 09-28-2020 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyyankou (Post 17793746)

I don’t think that’s Sugar Will. I can see the similarities but I disagree

Whatever it is sounds awesome, and wow Dave looks young. It feels like yesterday that that video came out

Cscottrun 09-28-2020 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyyankou (Post 17793746)

I think this is what you were referring to: https://youtu.be/ipEqAdPPUSE?t=617

ToySoldier#34 09-28-2020 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17793792)

Whatever it is sounds awesome, and wow Dave looks young. It feels like yesterday that that video came out

This is Time Bomb

grilldanmo 09-28-2020 09:11 PM

Instead of little snippets of tunes w/ Roi or songs that include him where he isn't really featured, they should release the recorded versions of as many of the songs that he was on as possible. The fans would eat it up, his family/estate could get more royalties, these songs could get added to sets, etc.

I get sitting on stuff that you've moved away from as an artist (at least in theory), but these songs are a part of Roi's legacy and one of the only chances for it to grow. I also think about someone like Zappa who'd take a solo from one his player's feature from live shows and literally write a song around it. From what we've been told over the years, Roi would lay down lots of versions of stuff that could be applied to other pieces if the band were interested. Of course, it could be emotionally difficult and that's likely part of why they haven't done much with the archival stuff featuring Roi.

I would love to hear as much stuff as they have in the can from Roi as possible. Perfection shouldn't be goal, especially from a band that's all about the live performances. Releasing demo versions, alternate takes, unreleased stuff, etc. has been a regular practice for decades, especially for artists that have passed. Atlantic has released almost every note that Coltrane played in the studio when he was on their roster...

Cptn. Monkeyman 09-29-2020 04:25 AM

Yeah, I love that clip of Dave playing along to Sugar Will in the studio with Cavallo. I don’t think Roi was on that track, but it is possible.

Cptn. Monkeyman 09-29-2020 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fpuonpko (Post 17793738)
yes, in April 2004 there is confirmation the band recorded at Haunted Hollow. sugar will was recorded, as was half of stand up. they also re-recorded OSW, Recently and TSTJL

So they were already working with Batson this early? I find this hard to believe.

BruceW 09-29-2020 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17793798)
This is Time Bomb

No he’s talking about the first 2 seconds or so of the video

ToySoldier#34 09-29-2020 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17793824)

Ahh, definitely not Time Bomb, or Sugar Will

kevinmavs 09-29-2020 05:40 AM

Sugar Will took another step once Tim joined full time. Wasn't a huge fan of the 2004 versions but then it started to grow on me overtime. I think it's one of the best songs they have over the last 15 years.

SeekUpTheCubs 09-29-2020 05:48 AM

Im into seeing some of Break Free, Break For It, Sugar Will, Shotgun, etc. I would certainly not complain; however, i do like these songs living as live tunes that change year in and year out

I want Bismark - I still feel like this represents current DMB in a strong enough way to make the album. I also want the guys to play it again regularly

I'd prefer almost entirely new songs.

jaymas9 09-29-2020 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17793792)

:thumbsup I've wanted whatever those 4 seconds are for 12 years.

Cscottrun 09-29-2020 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17793824)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17793829)
Ahh, definitely not Time Bomb, or Sugar Will

I hear an extended jam over the Time Bomb beat in the first 2 seconds.

grilldanmo 09-29-2020 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17793820)
So they were already working with Batson this early? I find this hard to believe.

I was talking to my wife about this and wondering if they worked on SU tunes w/o or before Batson, why they'd give him co-write credits on any of those older tunes?

ToySoldier#34 09-29-2020 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 17793995)
I was talking to my wife about this and wondering if they worked on SU tunes w/o or before Batson, why they'd give him co-write credits on any of those older tunes?

This is actually a topic I'm really interested in and not nearly as educated on as I'd like to be

eggsrsweet 09-29-2020 08:22 AM

SBC Soundcheck 2005: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBh45cR6gls

The fact that the band created that, never played it live for an audience and then just slam dunked it right into the recycle bin is just fucking astounding to me. Considering he debuted Cornbread and Can't Stop the next year.

It is hands down the most frustrating thing about Dave... his taste in his own music is atrocious. I think Batson and Rashawn are to blame for this as well tbh.

BruceW 09-29-2020 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eggsrsweet (Post 17793999)
SBC Soundcheck 2005: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBh45cR6gls

The fact that the band created that, never played it live for an audience and then just slam dunked it right into the recycle bin is just fucking astounding to me. Considering he debuted Cornbread and Can't Stop the next year.

It is hands down the most frustrating thing about Dave... his taste in his own music is atrocious. I think Batson and Rashawn are to blame for this as well tbh.

Hot take I guess, but I have honestly never understood the total infatuation with this.

It's the Dreaming Tree jam with Dave throwing in some chord changes to make it deviate. Boyd is even playing his DT part alongside some minor soloing. It sounds great, but it wasn't some groundbreaking new song.

LaLaLaLaHey 09-29-2020 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17794057)
Hot take I guess, but I have honestly never understood the total infatuation with this.

It's the Dreaming Tree jam with Dave throwing in some chord changes to make it deviate. Boyd is even playing his DT part alongside some minor soloing. It sounds great, but it wasn't some groundbreaking new song.

It’s in 7/4, but it’s not the DT jam. Key is Em instead of Dm, Stefan and Carter are playing different things. Kind of makes me think of Raven if it were in 7/4 haha combined with some hints of #27 because of the chords Dave’s playing.

Anyway, I think Bartender and DDTW sound way more similar than this and DT do. Could’ve definitely made this into a record. Bartender and DDTW literally share the same verse and chorus chord progressions (albeit Bartender has a bit of a riff and one other chord in the verse).

BruceW 09-29-2020 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLaLaLaHey (Post 17794063)
It’s in 7/4, but it’s not the DT jam. Key is Em instead of Dm, Stefan and Carter are playing different things. Kind of makes me think of Raven if it were in 7/4 haha combined with some hints of #27 because of the chords Dave’s playing.

Anyway, I think Bartender and DDTW sound way more similar than this and DT do. Could’ve definitely made this into a record. Bartender and DDTW literally share the same verse and chorus chord progressions (albeit Bartender has a bit of a riff and one other chord in the verse).

Carter is literally playing the DT outro.

Vorony 09-29-2020 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17794075)
Carter is literally playing the DT outro.

Unless the band was planning on bringing back DT in Em that year, it’s not the DT outro. It may sound similar, but it’s a completely different key.

BruceW 09-29-2020 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorony (Post 17794087)
Unless the band was planning on bringing back DT in Em that year, it’s not the DT outro. It may sound similar, but it’s a completely different key.

I already said Dave was playing it in a different key.

And that’s exactly what it sounds like to me. Dreaming Tree outro in a different key. Because the rest of it is DT. Boyd even plays his part.

dmbnut21 09-29-2020 12:20 PM

You guys are all sitting here talking about a new album (which I'm 100% all about) but I'm just sitting here wondering if there is any chance Carter joins Dave for the request show on 10/2 and does some killer bongos.

CrAzYEasyDMB04 09-29-2020 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17794093)
I already said Dave was playing it in a different key.

And that’s exactly what it sounds like to me. Dreaming Tree outro in a different key. Because the rest of it is DT. Boyd even plays his part.

Carter farted on the 1... thats how i know this is dreaming tree in Em... you guys are all children... grow up. Its clearly a variation of something they had been working on.

BMus1 09-29-2020 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fpuonpko (Post 17793738)

Source on this?

BruceW 09-29-2020 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzYEasyDMB04 (Post 17794157)
Carter farted on the 1... thats how i know this is dreaming tree in Em... you guys are all children... grow up. Its clearly a variation of something they had been working on.

JessEKat 09-29-2020 03:02 PM

I sure hope so🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼💜💜💜

WhereYouGoin 09-29-2020 05:47 PM

There was some word in late 2016 that a Some Devil followup (meaning another solo album) was about to be in the works - I know there was an interview with Brady from that group indicating talk of working with Dave again. I wonder if we’ll get that group again on either end of this (before or after).
I can bet no matter what that we’ll get a new DMB album/tour & on either end of it a new album/tour with the Some Devil people. Nobody’s getting any younger.

grilldanmo 09-29-2020 06:30 PM

I remember telling my wife about how Jerry had JGB as well as being in the Dead and his other projects. We had hoped that Dave might do the same, not wanting the band to end but wanting Dave to do whatever he needed to feel inspired AND keep DMB going.

I really wished he'd done this, as there's just a stupid amount of material that he's shelved and a lot of it excellent...

WhereYouGoin 09-29-2020 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 17794549)
I remember telling my wife about how Jerry had JGB as well as being in the Dead and his other projects. We had hoped that Dave might do the same, not wanting the band to end but wanting Dave to do whatever he needed to feel inspired AND keep DMB going.

I really wished he'd done this, as there's just a stupid amount of material that he's shelved and a lot of it excellent...

I bet this time right now has given him the chance to decide what he wants to do with material (new solo album - been 17 years, stuff for the band, etc).

Whiteyxc514 09-30-2020 08:23 AM

Remember The Nauts? :lol

It feels like there have been so many opportunities and rumors for new and different Dave music, but few of them have come to fruition.

Excited to hear he and Carter are jamming though, whatever comes from it.

DMBvol41 09-30-2020 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17793796)
I think this is what you were referring to: https://youtu.be/ipEqAdPPUSE?t=617

Man that sounds so freaking good

MTackett 09-30-2020 12:10 PM

More sax?!? No thank you. I’d prefer more..... cow bell. More sax... smfh.

monizzle145 09-30-2020 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17793621)
I'm sure he is more than capable of writing 6-8 more songs that are good.

If that was the case come tomorrow and away from the world would have made larger waves in the fanbase and in the live shows. The majority of modern Dave Matthews written songs don't have the lasting appear that were written all the way through busted stuff.

She, Come Tomorrow, That Girl is you, Do You remember, are examples of the subpar songwriting that occurs when Dave tried to bust out a bunch of new material. These are bathroom break songs at a live show.