Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=334873)

OutofDarkness 11-10-2022 08:35 AM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread

7/3/03 got brought up again in the Next LT thread, so I've been listening to the amazing Typical from that show. I don't think we appreciate enough just how much chemistry Roi and Butch had. Listening to this Typical, or LT26 BOWA, or any number of Seek Ups and Rapunzels from the late '90s-early '00s, it's incredible just how well those two played off each other.

hopewelljones 11-10-2022 08:43 AM

Man I last saw them in 2015 and thought it was lame. Realized sets were kinda stale, I wasn’t enjoying it any more, so I stopped going. Haven’t seen them since

I should’ve kept going, but messaging the band on social media telling them what they’re doing wrong. I mean, I KNOW what they’re capable of. They’re clearly playing unenjoyable shows on purpose. I could’ve spent 7 years holding on to this hypothetical hope, knowing that some day they’ll come around. I mean I’m spending $80/ticket, the least they could do is play shows I enjoy more.

But I swear, ONE more tour like this and I’m done!

Route_2 11-10-2022 09:03 AM

Stop ruining it for the rest of us

https://www.reddit.com/r/DMB/comment...re_who_havent/

hopewelljones 11-10-2022 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Route_2 (Post 18296794)

Jesus Christ :lol

Matt83 11-10-2022 09:27 AM

Quote:

https://media.tenor.com/images/0f78a...20cc/tenor.gif

Aforauer 11-10-2022 09:35 AM

Nobody is ruining anything lol Jeff doesn’t deserve the brunt of the criticism, but the frustration was warranted. They’re not retiring because someone blasted Jeff on Instagram

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monizzle145 11-10-2022 09:52 AM

I think 2 things are true at the same time

1. Even though it was only a few people its wild to complain about setlists to the sax player who doesn't have the rank to tell Dave what to play. Roarshawn may be able to have ownership of a melody or jam session as Dave gave him that job, but Dave would laugh Jeff out the room if Jeff started telling him to play certain songs and stop being lazy.

2. The negative comments were the minority and any public figure who posts things even positive is going to in many cases face backlash and negative comments. Bands will go on a 60 city tour and some idiot from Santa Fe, New Mexico or Lincon, Nebraska is pissed the band isn't stopping in their city and makes a post about it. Even further with Jeff is he also in the last year has tried to have political and social points and then got frustrated with some of the responses where people disagreed. This is the way the internet has been for at least the last decade and if you want to post things and have the visibility Jeff 95% of the time it is best to ignore the comments outright or ignore the negative comments.

elconguero 11-10-2022 09:58 AM

Quote:

If Jeff doesn't now how social media works these days then that is on him. You only hear from the squeaky wheels. I don't know how Instagram works but can't he just turn off comments?

hopewelljones 11-10-2022 10:00 AM

People gotta stop acting like DMB is some public service that they pay taxes towards. It’s a fucking band, you should be enjoying it! You should be “ballwashing” :lol. Don’t take it out on them because you don’t like what they’re doing. Just seems super weird to me.

Its almost as if people follow DMB like a sports team. Some weird tribalism sets in where you agonize with their losses because of this emotional connection you have with them. I just view music wayyy different from sports, like…if the band isn’t living up to my expectations, I go see other bands. They’re not engaged in a competition. Your band always “wins” when you see them. I read some of these comments like “I’ve had season tickets since 2004 and these sets are stale!” Sell your season tickets! It’s okay!

I know this dynamic is present with all live bands, it just seems especially bad with DMB.

ToySoldier#34 11-10-2022 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 18296231)

Quote:

Originally Posted by monizzle145 (Post 18296836)
The negative comments were the minority

There has certainly been more negativity than usual so far this tour

monizzle145 11-10-2022 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 18296849)
There has certainly been more negativity than usual so far this tour

Still much more positive comments on Jeff and other social media posts than negative. And the whole tour this year is odd. 1 mid atlantic show no new england shows and they don't even hit Chicago/Ohio/New York yet.

Alpine416 11-10-2022 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monizzle145 (Post 18296836)
I think 2 things are true at the same time

1. Even though it was only a few people its wild to complain about setlists to the sax player who doesn't have the rank to tell Dave what to play. Roarshawn may be able to have ownership of a melody or jam session as Dave gave him that job, but Dave would laugh Jeff out the room if Jeff started telling him to play certain songs and stop being lazy.

2. The negative comments were the minority and any public figure who posts things even positive is going to in many cases face backlash and negative comments. Bands will go on a 60 city tour and some idiot from Santa Fe, New Mexico or Lincon, Nebraska is pissed the band isn't stopping in their city and makes a post about it. Even further with Jeff is he also in the last year has tried to have political and social points and then got frustrated with some of the responses where people disagreed. This is the way the internet has been for at least the last decade and if you want to post things and have the visibility Jeff 95% of the time it is best to ignore the comments outright or ignore the negative comments.

Two pretty unfortunate realities if you ask me:

1. If a respected bandmate comes to you and shares what they've been hearing from fans and proposes switching some things up to make the fans happy is laughed out of the room then fuck that.

2. Exactly Jeff has been through this and should understand how this works at this point. It also really begs to me whether he does have any say in it. If he truly were treated like an employee he would say:
"not my call"
"I'm just the sax player"
"take it up with Dave"
He seems to be taking ownership and getting defensive over the reasons sets have sucked. Bad look to be acknowledge you are seeing what fans gripes are with the sets, telling them to fuck off and continuing to do it night after night.

haiku.warrior 11-10-2022 10:52 AM

I wish the merch store would let you pick the free CD you get for having a $50+ order or whatever. I'd much rather have LT41 than LT24. clearly this is just their way of getting rid of stuff thats been sitting in the warehouse for a while but it'd be nice to choose

hopewelljones 11-10-2022 10:52 AM

"Unfortunate reality" :lol

OneSweetMonkey 11-10-2022 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haiku.warrior (Post 18296862)
I wish the merch store would let you pick the free CD you get for having a $50+ order or whatever. I'd much rather have LT41 than LT24. clearly this is just their way of getting rid of stuff thats been sitting in the warehouse for a while but it'd be nice to choose

Yes. That is it. It's a free CD. Enjoy.

ToySoldier#34 11-10-2022 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monizzle145 (Post 18296853)
Still much more positive comments on Jeff and other social media posts than negative. And the whole tour this year is odd. 1 mid atlantic show no new england shows and they don't even hit Chicago/Ohio/New York yet.

There may be more when comparing overall positive vs negative but the percentages aren't the norm

Alpine416 11-10-2022 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopewelljones (Post 18296863)
"Unfortunate reality" :lol

Going to leave this here...

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopewelljones (Post 18296844)
You should be “ballwashing” :lol.

Alpine416 11-10-2022 10:58 AM

Monizzle's patented "I read/heard it from a few people and it confirms my viewpoint so it must be the overwhelming belief of the fanbase" strategy. Let's see how it plays out this time!

monizzle145 11-10-2022 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine416 (Post 18296869)
Monizzle's patented "I read/heard it from a few people and it confirms my viewpoint so it must be the overwhelming belief of the fanbase" strategy. Let's see how it plays out this time!

So which is better?

1. Having a viewpoint based on the message board and not being there

2. Trying to talk to people at the shows and have them share what they observed from the crowd as a whole at the shows in person then take that into consideration

I have never said my opinion is the end all be all. All I am trying to do is state my opinion, admit when I am wrong, listen to people actually at the shows (poster in this thread who said on the contrary he hated the Seattle set) and then see where the tour goes from here.

Cscottrun 11-10-2022 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monizzle145 (Post 18296227)
Before anyone enters the building it is pretty easy to predict what type of crowd you will get for summer vs fall and popular destination venues vs venues in cities that don't always have as many hardcore fans. Northeast Shows tend to have a different vibe than shows out west versus shows in the Midwest.

The band touring for 30+ years surely has a grasp on these cities and what to play to please those crowds.

Come on. He plays what he wants, when he wants. He throws a bone to the great venues every once in a while. That's really all there is to it. You're over analyzing.

kmbean 11-10-2022 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monizzle145 (Post 18296894)
So which is better?

2. Trying to talk to people at the shows and have them share what they observed from the crowd as a whole at the shows in person then take that into consideration

I have never said my opinion is the end all be all. All I am trying to do is state my opinion, admit when I am wrong, listen to people actually at the shows (poster in this thread who said on the contrary he hated the Seattle set) and then see where the tour goes from here.

And also asking people to donate money to you.

ToySoldier#34 11-10-2022 11:58 AM

I'll dance at a DMB show during Louisiana Bayou because I mean what else am I going to do, stand there pointing at the band with an angry Karen face? If I'm at D&T being completely silent during Seek Up does that mean I'm bored and uninterested?

There are some examples like SPAC N2 '21 where the crowd is unreal but I'd consider that to be the exception

monizzle145 11-10-2022 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 18296897)
Come on. He plays what he wants, when he wants. He throws a bone to the great venues every once in a while. That's really all there is to it. You're over analyzing.

The great venues definitely have a lot of the songs in rotation Dave wants that year sure. But the bones that Dave thew to Mohegan, MSG, and Columbus to separate them from cookie cutter Grand Rapids last year special. They may have only been 2-4 songs/moments but those are what make it worth the trip to MSG or Mohegan or Columbus over other fall locations AFTW to present.

But the fact that Dave does make these conscious decisions shows that he is aware of where fans have the highest demand for the deep cuts and unique jams.

monizzle145 11-10-2022 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmbean (Post 18296904)
And also asking people to donate money to you.

You're getting lazy and repetitive with the comebacks definitely need to mix it up more. :lol

kmbean 11-10-2022 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monizzle145 (Post 18296922)
You're getting lazy and repetitive with the comebacks definitely need to mix it up more. :lol

Why don’t you address why you are asking DMB fans to give you money?

monizzle145 11-10-2022 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmbean (Post 18296925)
Why don’t you address why you are asking DMB fans to give you money?

I mean given how far my name is down your throat I would have thought you could've explained that like many YouTube Streamers I show my cash app and any potential donation goes toward improving the stream quality i.e. upgrading equipment like cameras I use on stream and at shows to capture moments of shows. I don't make it a requirement and none of my content is behind a paywall. All of the videos I record at shows I freely give to other content creators like Copperpot (and a John Mayer Multicam guy) for free so that content can be then shared for fans across the internet.

Just funny how you took the time to watch the stream to find that out just so you could try to make a joke. And then on top of that intentionally exclude the purpose of why I promoted that.

Mind you the only reason I even started flashing the cash app is because people who watched my streams suggested it as a way to support my stream. And those people felt compelled to support the actual stream.

Alpine416 11-10-2022 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monizzle145 (Post 18296922)

It is 1000x more likely that kmbean takes this feedback and changes his behavior and he is just some guy shitposting on an online forum rather than Dave changing his behavior writing sets and he is playing for thousands of people that paid hundreds of dollars to see them and doesn't want to hear the criticism.

Alpine416 11-10-2022 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monizzle145 (Post 18296894)
So which is better?

How about neither? I can check the sets and don't have to come here to form my own opinion the band is doing nothing that is different than the summer tour. Also talking to people who either haven't gotten a show in a while or just have low standards to see the same shit over and over again also won't influence my opinion just because they thought what they saw was good.

Not saying Dave should base the whole setlist based on fans who see multiple shows a year but this entire tour is a big fucking kick in the nuts to any of those fans that went to a summer tour show and also want to catch the fall tour and see something different.

monizzle145 11-10-2022 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpine416 (Post 18296967)
It is 1000x more likely that kmbean takes this feedback and changes his behavior and he is just some guy shitposting on an online forum rather than Dave changing his behavior writing sets and he is playing for thousands of people that paid hundreds of dollars to see them and doesn't want to hear the criticism.

When you and me have difference of opinions Kmbean hops in and tries to take cheap shots doubtful that changes. He doesn't provide anything productive about why he disagrees nor is he even participating in this conversation in a productive manner.

At least you are responding with reasons you disagree with me and actually participating in the topics at hand in this thread.

mjpbelmont 11-10-2022 01:42 PM

If you've seen the DMB Couch Tour Videos during this Fall Tour thus far (which i'm sure you all have), you can see that the band is 100% ON FIRE performance/enjoyment wise.

I saw them at Hollywood Bowl N2 and it was one of my all time favorite DMB shows. Between the high-level performances, unique set, orchestra, and guest violin, it was an unreal experience and a breath of fresh air after seeing them over the past 15 years or so (which were hit & miss band performance/enthusiasm wise).

The performances on the Fall Tour so far have been even BETTER and the band (especially Dave) is enjoying each other sonically at a very high level. I would much rather hear/see the band play what they want at a VERY HIGH level as opposed to seeing them play rarities half-ass/practiced with a lot of mistakes. The band seems happier than they've ever been and I think we should enjoy this wave. They sound amazing. The jams on #41, Seek Up, Crush, Two Step right now prove that. Madman's Eyes is an absolute BEAST. Jeff is 100% right....unnecessary rant over!