Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=334873)

monizzle145 09-28-2022 07:01 AM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by oasisfan35 (Post 18272318)
Personally don't care for DMB incorporating any 'Some Devil' tunes in to the live show, it's simply not their vehicle for me.

Head to head some devil songs at a live show (frequently played for full band and not played often full band) are far superior to the songs from Stand Up, Away from the World, and Come tomorrow and most of Big Whiskey live.

The only problem is DMB doesn't think like this when they make sets so I guess it's irrelevant lol.

Dannyyankou 09-28-2022 09:42 AM

Just for the hell of it, I listened to the first show with Buddy from 2018 just to see how things have evolved since. Holy shit, he went heavy on that organ.

NewOrleans 09-28-2022 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyyankou (Post 18272681)
Just for the hell of it, I listened to the first show with Buddy from 2018 just to see how things have evolved since. Holy shit, he went heavy on that organ.

Ya, that first month in 2018 was like a circus. Or A Door's interpretation of DMB. LOL.

NewOrleans 09-28-2022 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monizzle145 (Post 18272547)
Head to head some devil songs at a live show (frequently played for full band and not played often full band) are far superior to the songs from Stand Up, Away from the World, and Come tomorrow and most of Big Whiskey live.

The only problem is DMB doesn't think like this when they make sets so I guess it's irrelevant lol.

Some Devil songs live are DMB staples now. Stay or Leave, So Damn Lucky, Oh, Gravedigger. All solid. Love them. Wish they'd add Dodo, Up and Away, Grey Blue Eyes as well. I've heard the song Some Devil at 30% of my 40 shows, so I'm good with that going away unless they did it full band again.

jwrice5 09-29-2022 04:15 AM

Listening to Live Trax 36 right now, and I’ve got to say, the 2-sets format was awesome. In fact, I’d prefer they go one step further and just have the full show be acoustic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hopewelljones 09-29-2022 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewOrleans (Post 18272771)
Some Devil songs live are DMB staples now. Stay or Leave, So Damn Lucky, Oh, Gravedigger. All solid. Love them. Wish they'd add Dodo, Up and Away, Grey Blue Eyes as well. I've heard the song Some Devil at 30% of my 40 shows, so I'm good with that going away unless they did it full band again.

+1 for Grey Blue Eyes :thumbsup

Speilmen230 09-29-2022 06:16 AM

https://www.tiktok.com/@bynxmusic/vi...5VjKKU4Ed&_r=1

Miller9 09-29-2022 11:33 AM

Pretty cool interview with John Alagia talking about DMB and their recording style, how he met Dave etc.

https://youtu.be/fjsapARkeJE

Aforauer 09-29-2022 06:25 PM

I always forget that Alligator Pie even exists. I wish it was played. Always liked it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToySoldier#34 09-29-2022 07:02 PM

I love this

https://youtu.be/HgRKPK5N8ks

Stgeurin 09-30-2022 10:40 AM

Time is a strange thing: Rashawn has now been part of DMB for as long as Roi was. This isn’t a statement on meaning or importance, just a fact about how time moves.

grilldanmo 09-30-2022 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewOrleans (Post 18272771)

Has Some Devil ever been played full band?

Dannyyankou 09-30-2022 01:43 PM

I actually thought a couple days ago, it would be cool if DMB re-recorded Some Devil will the full band. They could use an orchestra to fill Boyd's parts.

bowa36 09-30-2022 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 18274202)
Has Some Devil ever been played full band?

Yes, it had a full band arrangement in 2007 and 2010. It's actually on the liberation list because of those versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsVbvPAo4Po

haiku.warrior 09-30-2022 02:23 PM

wow that was my first time hearing the full band Some Devil. absolutely incredible except for whatever Boyd was doing

Gunz 09-30-2022 04:23 PM

I’m drunk so I’m posting here too.

An another thing from some devil is my favorite Dave vocal performance.

Dannyyankou 10-01-2022 08:19 PM

I was listening to the 7/15/01 Texas Stadium IEM and something caught my attention. They were talking about Sweet Up And Down, and Dave said "you know that baddest recording of that was the first time we played it". I just found that surprising, Dave doesn't strike me as someone who goes back and listens to old band recordings.

bowa36 10-01-2022 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyyankou (Post 18274611)
I was listening to the 7/15/01 Texas Stadium IEM and something caught my attention. They were talking about Sweet Up And Down, and Dave said "you know that baddest recording of that was the first time we played it". I just found that surprising, Dave doesn't strike me as someone who goes back and listens to old band recordings.

What led them to talking about SweetUp&Dn in 2001?

Xcacel 10-02-2022 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 18273669)

That’s a classic

YankeesDMB41 10-02-2022 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcacel (Post 18274634)
That’s a classic

Great show. I don't think I've ever seen an 11 minute Dave and Tim performance in my life.

comeandsee41 10-02-2022 09:29 AM

Quote:

weird, i was listening to that IEM just the other day. and that comment stood out as well.

Dannyyankou 10-02-2022 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowa36 (Post 18274627)
What led them to talking about SweetUp&Dn in 2001?

Dave teased it

Quote:

Originally Posted by comeandsee41 (Post 18274696)
weird, i was listening to that IEM just the other day. and that comment stood out as well.

It's a great show, it a shame the quality of that recording isn't so great.

Speilmen230 10-04-2022 11:34 AM

It's probably been talked about ad naseum, but the opening vocal melody in Stand Up really reminds me of Synchronicity II by The Police.

snow1868 10-04-2022 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyyankou (Post 18274708)
Dave teased it

It's a great show, it a shame the quality of that recording isn't so great.

I was at that show, and it really was a great show. This would be the strongest release candidate for a Texas LT in my opinion. However, Folsom was the show right before this one so that likely hurts its chances.

Good god it was hot in there.

Matt83 10-04-2022 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snow1868 (Post 18275512)
I was at that show, and it really was a great show. This would be the strongest release candidate for a Texas LT in my opinion. However, Folsom was the show right before this one so that likely hurts its chances.

Good god it was hot in there.

LT 22 was three days before the Citi Field release, so it's not out of question. 👻💦

NewOrleans 10-04-2022 01:18 PM

Quote:

I think they used to! I remember reading sometime back in the early 2000's they would listen to performances to learn how to play better. So it would make since if they were working on the LWS/Busted Stuff recordings that they would be listening frequently back then.

Nowadays, I doubt they listen much at all. Though I could see them checking tapes when Buddy started to see what it was sounding like as a whole. They've really evolved a lot since 2018.

BigEyedIdiot 10-05-2022 04:12 PM

I wonder what the Mark Batson and Rob Cavallo versions of Drunken Soldier sounded like.

Dannyyankou 10-07-2022 09:37 AM

I got the latest warehouse disc a couple days ago, I'm glad they kept in the Davespeak at the end of Beach Ball.

"That song is called Beach Ball. It's about a fucking beach ball"

:lol

grilldanmo 10-07-2022 01:17 PM

What's the latest WH disc? Is just a full show or are they back to compilations?

mynameismike 10-07-2022 01:24 PM

this year was both. Gilford 2021 N2 was the show and then a compilation set. No disc, just downloads

ETA i might be talking about something different than danny