Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=334873)

spoot388 07-30-2015 11:47 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The2SteppingPig (Post 16083068)
Aside from the staple venues (SPAC, Alpine, Deer Creek, Gorge, WPB, Camden), I think this band needs to start scaling down venue sizes.

The only way I can see this band getting back to selling out venue after venue on a tour is if they release new material and market the shit out of it. BWGGK was all over the place leading up to release. The album sold really well, the band gained some new fans (me included) and it showed at shows. That just didn't happen in 2012 with AFTW. There seemed to be no confidence behind it's release and marketing was pretty pathetic and attendance has tapered off since then. Fans of the band and their live shows will always be around to buy tickets, but that's not what is going to sell out large theaters 45 nights of the summer.

I don't see a mainstream push like BW happening with this band, so it's time for them to settle in and come to terms with the size of their actual fanbase. We've already been seeing this happen in a way. I'm going to the Colorado show at Fiddler's. That place is not large (honestly, maybe not large enough for a Colorado show), and N2 is sold out.


fiddler's is 18,000. just as big as any other outdoor pavilion the band regularly goes to. if N2 really is sold out, thats a huge surprise considering the shitty numbers they had at dicks in 2013.



the biggest problem with AFTW was the marketing, which the band has no control over. management did absolutely nothing to get word of the album out to the public. lots of people have no idea DMB released an album in 2012. and what little they did, like release singles, they completely butchered. they picked some of the absolute worst possible choices for singles and left songs that might actually grab people's attention sitting on the bench. if the next album gets promoted the same way, there is no way there will be any interest in the band following its release.

bartender_man 07-30-2015 11:54 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by twostep03 (Post 16083116)
BOWA has gotten the most plays this tour since 2005. It's about time this song gets more play


:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

NoMas7 07-31-2015 12:20 AM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
Anyone actually think Last Stop liberated this year? Serious question. I sure as hell hope it does but ive been saying that for several years now.

flutterby 07-31-2015 12:34 AM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyyankou (Post 16084443)
I can't believe this version of Seek Up is 14 years old.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AK-VRy7611I


Thanks for making me feel old. I feel old enough, todays my birthday.

Cryfreedom09 07-31-2015 12:40 AM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by flutterby (Post 16084706)
Thanks for making me feel old. I feel old enough, todays my birthday.

Happy Birthday !!!

blaise34 07-31-2015 12:43 AM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
Last Stop liberation 8/29 in Colorado, electric set closer. You heard it here first. Bela Fleck, 4 week break, Gorge warm up, never before played venue.
Maybe I'm crazy

bowa36 07-31-2015 12:44 AM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by flutterby (Post 16084706)
Thanks for making me feel old. I feel old enough, todays my birthday.


Happy Birthday there

Dannyyankou 07-31-2015 12:46 AM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by flutterby (Post 16084706)
Thanks for making me feel old. I feel old enough, todays my birthday.

Happy Birthday!

Speaking of anniversaries, 10 years ago tomorrow I saw my first DMB show. It's not the prettiest setlist but there are some awesome highlights, especially the encore.


July 31, 2005
Randall's Island Park, New York, NY

Everyday
Dreamgirl
Smooth Rider
When the World Ends
You Never Know
Bartender
Too Much
Granny
Lover Lay Down
What Would You Say

Hunger for the Great Light
Ants Marching
#34

Stand Up (For It)
All Along the Watchtower
-----------------------------------
Rhyme & Reason
Two Step

ryguy637 07-31-2015 12:53 AM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise34 (Post 16084711)
Last Stop liberation 8/29 in Colorado, electric set closer. You heard it here first. Bela Fleck, 4 week break, Gorge warm up, never before played venue.
Maybe I'm crazy

Dave doesn't think like that

blaise34 07-31-2015 01:09 AM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
And it's a shame, but I have a feeling those shows will see something special. Hoping for that Colorado weekend to be what I didn't get out of Camden. Probably end up with my 3rd Be Yourself or Can't Stop of the summer, though, and still no Nancies or Warehouse

bartender_man 07-31-2015 01:13 AM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise34 (Post 16084711)
Last Stop liberation 8/29 in Colorado, electric set closer. You heard it here first. Bela Fleck, 4 week break, Gorge warm up, never before played venue.
Maybe I'm crazy


Not happening bud

c33dmb 08-01-2015 01:44 AM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
Has anyone else been having trouble with the downloads from DMBLive lately? And by problems I don't mean the usual clunky interface or slow speed, but actual tracks being left off of downloads?

I had heard of a friend buying a show and it having a track missing, but I figured it was just user error or a fluke. However, I just bought the Oak Mountain DMBLive and it was missing a track as well once the download finished. Normally I'd just call up customer service, but they won't be there until Monday morning.

Frustrated.

RSSR 08-01-2015 03:01 AM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
The Academy DMBLive show had a corrupted file, had to call twice for them to reseed the download again. The first guy I called blamed it on iTunes and told me I should call Apple. Second phone call I had to insist on the reseed after they were reluctant to do so. Good luck.

RSSR 08-01-2015 03:11 AM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
Also, the Revolver show has an unlabeled The Best Of What's Around included at the end of the Two Step file making it look like there was a missing file, but that's the only nonissue problem among the full band releases.

The2SteppingPig 08-01-2015 04:36 AM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoMas7 (Post 16084692)
Anyone actually think Last Stop liberated this year? Serious question. I sure as hell hope it does but ive been saying that for several years now.

If it's going to happen, it's going to be tomorrow night and they will play it a couple more times before the end of tour. Namely, Colorado, Gorge, Irvine. At least that's what I hope seeing as I'll be in Colorado.

I'm just fucking around, it's never going to happen

The band is ending this leg of the tour really strong. I hope it isn't like it was in 2013 and the setlists start to lose steam in Colorado. 2013 was such a good year but those last shows were nothing to write home about.

This year seems to be trending the other way, the East Coast got the shaft and the rest of us are warming up to some good sets later in the season.

So let's cap this off with some Last Stop plays

bartender_man 08-01-2015 06:53 AM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannyyankou (Post 16084715)
Happy Birthday!

Speaking of anniversaries, 10 years ago tomorrow I saw my first DMB show. It's not the prettiest setlist but there are some awesome highlights, especially the encore.


July 31, 2005
Randall's Island Park, New York, NY

Everyday
Dreamgirl
Smooth Rider
When the World Ends
You Never Know
Bartender
Too Much
Granny
Lover Lay Down
What Would You Say

Hunger for the Great Light
Ants Marching
#34

Stand Up (For It)
All Along the Watchtower
-----------------------------------
Rhyme & Reason
Two Step


Those first four songs though. Good god.....

tyler3440 08-02-2015 01:31 AM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
I have a few question about the gorge sweepstakes.

1. Should you get a e mail conferming that you entered?

2. Can I also enter under my dad and moms e mail?

TrippinNancies1 08-02-2015 08:24 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
Random thought: Whiter Shade of Pale is my least favorite cover Dave does. I like the original version, but Dave's rendition is beyond bland, and he can rarely play it correctly anyways. I have never seen a performance where he doesn't screw up and give that goofy "Whoops!" face. If he HAS to play a cover, I would gladly take Take Me To Tomorrow, Needle and The Damage Done, Rye Whiskey, etc. over Whiter Shade.

crashintonickdm 08-02-2015 11:39 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrippinNancies1 (Post 16088235)
Random thought: Whiter Shade of Pale is my least favorite cover Dave does. I like the original version, but Dave's rendition is beyond bland, and he can rarely play it correctly anyways. I have never seen a performance where he doesn't screw up and give that goofy "Whoops!" face. If he HAS to play a cover, I would gladly take Take Me To Tomorrow, Needle and The Damage Done, Rye Whiskey, etc. over Whiter Shade.

daves version made me respect the song. i hate the original. dudes voice isnt good to me.

Spaceman8 08-03-2015 02:57 AM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
Long time lurker, finally posting.

I'll say that I've noticed Jimi Thing gets a lot of hate on this site, and I do not understand at all. I mean, it's different every time. The song itself is classic DMB, with great contributions from every member. The jam has been great in every generation, including this one. It's one of the best things dmb does today.

I think if I went back in time to 2004 or something and posted a link to a Jimi Thing with Jeff Coffin and Tim Reynolds, people would call it the best Jimi of all time. But because it's the norm now, people lose interest. I just find that really weird.

Spaceman8 08-03-2015 03:24 AM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
Also I've been listening to Big Whiskey a lot lately, and I think it's a really solid album. I absolutely love the Spaceman-Squirm-Alligator Pie-Seven run. Lying In The Hands Of God is on the same level as some of their earlier work, in my mind. Rob Cavallo did a great job. The album itself is great because it has the only versions of the songs with LeRoi. Does anyone remember the April Sessions version of Why I Am? Loved that sax before the first verse, it's a shame they omitted that.

tyler3440 08-03-2015 03:49 AM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceman8 (Post 16088591)
Also I've been listening to Big Whiskey a lot lately, and I think it's a really solid album. I absolutely love the Spaceman-Squirm-Alligator Pie-Seven run. Lying In The Hands Of God is on the same level as some of their earlier work, in my mind. Rob Cavallo did a great job. The album itself is great because it has the only versions of the songs with LeRoi. Does anyone remember the April Sessions version of Why I Am? Loved that sax before the first verse, it's a shame they omitted that.

I like BW as an album. It's very very good. BTCS and BW are the only dmb albums I have listend to start to finish. For some reason with BW I would never go to a show hoping for those songs except for maybe LITHOG or dive in.

Spaceman8 08-03-2015 04:12 AM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler3440 (Post 16088597)
I like BW as an album. It's very very good. BTCS and BW are the only dmb albums I have listend to start to finish. For some reason with BW I would never go to a show hoping for those songs except for maybe LITHOG or dive in.

I absolutely love Spaceman (if you couldn't tell), especially live. Weird rhythm, unique guitar riff that you can hear very well when played live, while Tim plays how most people wish he would (cool fills). Carter and Fonz are just so much fun to lock into on this song. Rashawn usually plays his best solos on it, probably because he uses the mute and doesn't go overboard with high notes, and Jeff makes some real pleasant contributions.

I really do love the lyrics too. Just stirs up a lot of imagery for me. All the "love the way you ____'s" don't bother me. All the freaks are on parade is a great line, but the second verse is my favorite. "I'm not all bad, but I'm a faithful sinner. I might get lost, but I'll be home for dinne." Fucking love that line for some reason. Also, "I'd be a dog for a tail to chase" is clever.

cornnuts 08-03-2015 12:49 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceman8 (Post 16088572)
Long time lurker, finally posting.

I'll say that I've noticed Jimi Thing gets a lot of hate on this site, and I do not understand at all. I mean, it's different every time. The song itself is classic DMB, with great contributions from every member. The jam has been great in every generation, including this one. It's one of the best things dmb does today.

I think if I went back in time to 2004 or something and posted a link to a Jimi Thing with Jeff Coffin and Tim Reynolds, people would call it the best Jimi of all time. But because it's the norm now, people lose interest. I just find that really weird.

:thumbsup jimi thing fuckin kicks ass. classic dmb and one of their best songs through all eras. great music, great lyrics, great melody, and great jam

cornnuts 08-03-2015 12:55 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
since they took the time to go back and re-record boyd's solo on LIOG from live in chicago - they should have extended the same courtesy to timmy and let him re-record his solo on LIOG while they were at it too.......

Spaceman8 08-03-2015 01:54 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cornnuts (Post 16088884)
since they took the time to go back and re-record boyd's solo on LIOG from live in chicago - they should have extended the same courtesy to timmy and let him re-record his solo on LIOG while they were at it too.......

I actually love that solo.

Roose13 08-03-2015 03:37 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
Texted this to Zilla and realized it's a good entry for this thread:

DMB needs to stop going to Camden early in the tour. They’ve played almost 10 songs since that weekend that I’ve never seen live that they’re busting out and it’s killing me.

crashintonickdm 08-03-2015 03:40 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
It's not the placement of Camden

It's how lazy the front man is. When he wants to be comfortable with sets, that's when the tour is at its worst. Missing spoon, let you down, 40, and so many other songs now making their way into the acoustic sets makes me mad. It's a complete joke

Roose13 08-03-2015 04:04 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by crashintonickdm (Post 16089258)
It's not the placement of Camden

It's how lazy the front man is. When he wants to be comfortable with sets, that's when the tour is at its worst. Missing spoon, let you down, 40, and so many other songs now making their way into the acoustic sets makes me mad. It's a complete joke

It's always early in the tour, which is when Camden usually is. Some of the best DMB I've seen since 2008 was when Camden was slotted later in the tour or the winter tours because their catalog grew over the course of the year. It shouldn't be that way.

At least there are tapes though and I'm gonna enjoy listening to this WPB shows. They looked like a lot of fun and I like Branford.

dmbredsox36 08-03-2015 04:06 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by The2SteppingPig (Post 16086569)
This year seems to be trending the other way, the East Coast got the shaft and the rest of us are warming up to some good sets later in the season.

Agreed. Best of luck to those who have shows remaining, I really hope they come through for the last few stops. I just hope the LL stay as far away as possible from this and any other future tour. They're a coked out ugly prostitute to the band and it's setlists.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster. The rest is owned by antsmarching.org.