Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=334873)

YankeesDMB41 06-22-2018 02:37 AM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

Theres nothing really wrong with R2T...it just doesnt capture what makes DMB great.

Cptn. Monkeyman 06-22-2018 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnHani06 (Post 17164464)
I really dig this, too, and appreciate your response. And you're right, and I'll one-up your own counter to me: I believe there was a studio OSW recorded around the same time as Christmas Song. Potentially for the Grand Canyon film? Or maybe the Wood & Steel record that also featured Litho Blitho?

I do wonder sometimes if Recently (my forever #1), Jane, OSW, or really any of the other R2T tunes were ever considered for any of the major RCA releases under Lillywhite. They had to have looked at the entire catalog up to that point for UTTAD so I'm curious which of those were in contention and then for whatever reason fell by the wayside.

Damn! I never knew about an official studio OSW. That's crazy! As far as the other tracks go, it is kinda cool to think about. Typical and Pay For What You Get both had studio recordings during the RTT sessions, but didn't make it. But then UTTAD did include those two, along with Satellite and Ants, but no OSW, Jane, Billies, or Recently. (Recently probably cuz the Recently edit on the EP, and obviously Billies eventually got selected for Crash, but why not the others?)

LaLaLaLaHey 06-22-2018 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17164443)
They already have a proper release on that album. Seek Up and Minarets are both studio recordings. the other tracks were recorded live, but were taken into the studio and mastered and mixed just like a regular studio album. Lots of older bands used that method for recording studio albums, mostly Jazz groups (Weather Report for one). That was the thing that was so cool and special about that record to me, itís a live/not live studio album that captures the bands sound better than a traditional studio recording could. Christmas song did eventually get a full on studio release in 2000, and obviously the ones from UTTAD and Crash. The only ones missing a traditional studio treatment are Jane, OSW, recently, and Iíll back You Up. Recently got a radio edit for the Recently EP. To me, the rest of them donít belong anywhere near a studio session.

Seek Up is listed on Spotify as "Live". The only studio records are Satellite, PFWYG, and Typical.

LaLaLaLaHey 06-22-2018 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17160525)
How? Bob Law was interesting and had funk. Again and Again is pretty much a bore

I'm having trouble understanding what you mean

You mean 2016 performances vs 2018? Because if so, I disagree. Love the sound of the current song. Especially that bass line during the chorus following what Tim is playing - gives it a special feel

LaLaLaLaHey 06-22-2018 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excitingjae (Post 17160588)
On reddit a user was looking for a certain version of Grey Street that they had on their computer back in the day.

Someone posted this claiming that it was from a recording session in 1999. This ended up being what the OP was looking for. No way this is DMB and especially not Dave singing but the dude who posted the soundcloud seems to swear it is.

What say you, AM.org?

There is a 0% chance that this is DMB and/or Dave singing. This is a poor cover of the song :/ Doesn't sound like it's being played on a 12 string, and the violin is playing a different line than it should be. And it's missing defining horn lines.

Cptn. Monkeyman 06-22-2018 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jake.sager (Post 17164483)
Seek Up is listed on Spotify as "Live". The only studio records are Satellite, PFWYG, and Typical.

Spotify is wrong. Satellite was actually recorded live, although it does sound very clean (Alagia in the studio)

Check out the album credits, it gives a rundown on how/where each song was recorded.

Christmas song was recorded live as well, and they did studio magic to add the rest of the Seek Up track on the end, and then followed by jungle/rain noise.

Iíd post a picture of my copy of RTT, but I donít know how. Iíll look it up on the interwebz and post a link

Cptn. Monkeyman 06-22-2018 03:25 AM

Minarets is also studio

Cptn. Monkeyman 06-22-2018 03:26 AM

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...iner_notes.pdf

LaLaLaLaHey 06-22-2018 03:32 AM

Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17164486)
Spotify is wrong. Satellite was actually recorded live, although it does sound very clean (Alagia in the studio)

Check out the album credits, it gives a rundown on how/where each song was recorded.

Christmas song was recorded live as well, and they did studio magic to add the rest of the Seek Up track on the end, and then followed by jungle/rain noise.

Iíd post a picture of my copy of RTT, but I donít know how. Iíll look it up on the interwebz and post a link

Iíd be extremely surprised if Satellite wasnít actually a studio version, because I swear there are two Daves singing on the chorus together. It lists it as ďSatellite - Flat Five Studio VersionĒ...

ďSeek Up - LiveĒ

If you have a pic of your version thatíd be great

EDIT: Interesting Wikipedia says Seek Up and Minarets are studio and nothing else

hmm

Cptn. Monkeyman 06-22-2018 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jake.sager (Post 17164489)
I’d be extremely surprised if Satellite wasn’t actually a studio version, because I swear there are two Daves singing on the chorus together. It lists it as “Satellite - Flat Five Studio Version”...

“Seek Up - Live”

If you have a pic of your version that’d be great

EDIT: Interesting Wikipedia says Seek Up and Minarets are studio and nothing else

hmm

I mean, the whole album is "studio". They took live takes and used those in the studio. You can hardly call it a live album, because all of the tracks were edited and mixed in the studio.

But yeah, I posted a link above to the albums liner notes, it's from dontburnthepig dot ORG

Edit: Other than Seek Up and Minarets, which were recorded in the Flat Five Studios (along with the bonus tracks from the 2014 reissue among other unused tracks)

kingofkings 06-22-2018 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17164493)
I mean, the whole album is "studio". They took live takes and used those in the studio. You can hardly call it a live album, because all of the tracks were edited and mixed in the studio.

But yeah, I posted a link above to the albums liner notes, it's from dontburnthepig dot ORG

Edit: Other than Seek Up and Minarets, which were recorded in the Flat Five Studios (along with the bonus tracks from the 2014 reissue among other unused tracks)

Alagia talks about this album, and how he did everything for it in that interview he just did. It's in the other thread. He explains how he took the songs from the shows, and how they did some of the others.

BruceW 06-22-2018 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jake.sager (Post 17164484)
I'm having trouble understanding what you mean

You mean 2016 performances vs 2018? Because if so, I disagree. Love the sound of the current song. Especially that bass line during the chorus following what Tim is playing - gives it a special feel

Itís slower, softer, a lot less interesting Carter besides a couple of spots, no more prominent Fonz slap bass, Dave doesnít sing it with the same driving emotion as he used to.

I also prefer Daveís playing the keys in this song to Buddyís background additions. He should still play it with Buddy backing him up.

2016 is superior and itís not even close.

Cptn. Monkeyman 06-22-2018 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17164576)
Itís slower, softer, a lot less interesting Carter besides a couple of spots, no more prominent Fonz slap bass, Dave doesnít sing it with the same driving emotion as he used to.

I also prefer Daveís playing the keys in this song to Buddyís background additions. He should still play it with Buddy backing him up.

2016 is superior and itís not even close.

My main gripe with the whole album, and has been since first listen. The shortened Black & Blue Bird doesnít bother me in studio because I know theyíll still extend it live. Idea Of You bothered me a bit at first, but itís totally grown on me. But the one thing that I still canít get past (and itís probably a silly gripe to most people) is what they did to Stefanís tone on Bob Law. Iím honestly fine with buddy taking the main keys (Dave should write some basic guitar chords to play though, looks awkward).

I had such high hopes for this one because of how funky it was in 2016, but the finished version doesnít hit where I thought it would and itís all about Stefanís tone to me. If he had a funky slap/pop tone, it wouldíve made the worlds difference.

Cross the ice 06-22-2018 12:35 PM

2 weeks later, and Come Tomorrow is not good.

dmb417 06-22-2018 12:35 PM

The Sam Cop on Fallon reminds me once again how great Dave can sound when they take the effort to rehearse a bit

kelchlsm 06-22-2018 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb417 (Post 17164896)
The Sam Cop on Fallon reminds me once again how great Dave can sound when they take the effort to rehearse a bit

They didn't rehearse? or put any effort in these rehearsals? news to me

misschung 06-22-2018 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17164488)

Omg I remember staring into that cover for the first time, ha

dmb417 06-22-2018 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelchlsm (Post 17164902)
They didn't rehearse? or put any effort in these rehearsals? news to me

they soundchecked at the very least, Buddy put a story of it on his instagram. in any case, dave's voice is properly warmed up for this song, he usually screws it up

BTCS_JTR 06-23-2018 04:34 PM

Come Tomorrow has really gotten me back into listening to this band. Since it came out, I've spent most my time listening to their catalog. I feel like I've had a huge fall out from them, and couldn't tell you the last time I sat down, and just listened to them. I love these guys.

LaLaLaLaHey 06-23-2018 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb417 (Post 17165334)
they soundchecked at the very least, Buddy put a story of it on his instagram. in any case, dave's voice is properly warmed up for this song, he usually screws it up

He definitely does vocal warm ups before all shows haha

He just plays more than two songs at their actual tour shows...

bowa36 06-23-2018 05:58 PM

drummers, what are your favorite dmb songs to play? for me it's Fool to Think, Busted Stuff, Rapunzel, Hello Again.

Hello Again is so open, love messing around with it

Cptn. Monkeyman 06-23-2018 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowa36 (Post 17166445)
drummers, what are your favorite dmb songs to play? for me it's Fool to Think, Busted Stuff, Rapunzel, Hello Again.

Hell yeah :thumbsup I absolutely love Carter on this one

I'm not a drummer (bass player) but I used to jam some DMB with my brother and his buddy (friend on drums, and brother on guitar - no vocals ;))

The songs we'd all play together were Grey Street, The Stone, Best of What's Around, Tripping Billies, Ants Marching, #41, Halloween, and Lie In Our Graves.

If I recall correctly, the drummer's favorite was Graves (and it was probably our best executed - We'd have a good time messing around with that solo section along with #41's solo section)

LaLaLaLaHey 06-23-2018 06:27 PM

Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowa36 (Post 17166445)

Not a ďdrummerĒ but I have a kit that Iíd used to play, and You Never Know is such a fun one. Rapunzel too.

Iím a guitarist & I can play almost any DMB song you can name.

Cptn. Monkeyman 06-23-2018 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jake.sager (Post 17166462)
Not a ďdrummerĒ but I have a kit that Iíd used to play, and You Never Know is such a fun one. Rapunzel too.

Iím a guitarist & I can play almost any DMB song you can name.

Have you watched that youtube video of the guy drumming to You Never Know? Henry something, he kills it. Such an awesome song

LaLaLaLaHey 06-23-2018 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 17166483)
Have you watched that youtube video of the guy drumming to You Never Know? Henry something, he kills it. Such an awesome song

Harry Miree duuude! Love that guy! He got to interview Stefan last year - canít believe he didnít meet Carter!

Cptn. Monkeyman 06-23-2018 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jake.sager (Post 17166491)
Harry Miree duuude! Love that guy! He got to interview Stefan last year - canít believe he didnít meet Carter!

That's the one! Yeah, I love that dudes DMB videos.

CapnHani06 06-23-2018 11:51 PM

Listening to RTT again right now, damn does Stefan sound good in these tracks. He's so high in the mix and I love it.

jebediahlongnut 06-24-2018 03:04 AM

Any other guitar players on here? If so what are some of your favorite Dave songs to play on guitar?

LaLaLaLaHey 06-24-2018 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebediahlongnut (Post 17166921)
Any other guitar players on here? If so what are some of your favorite Dave songs to play on guitar?

Me! All of them!

Love playing Billies, Warehouse, Recently, Minarets, Nancies, LIOG, Come On Come On, BOWA, Big Eyed Fish, You Never Know (on my raised B), Stay or Leave, Oh, Stone, Seek Up, Ants, and pretty much any other somewhat challenging song you can name. Love them all. I know almost all of their songs.

jebediahlongnut 06-24-2018 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jake.sager (Post 17166925)
Me! All of them!

Love playing Billies, Warehouse, Recently, Minarets, Nancies, LIOG, Come On Come On, BOWA, Big Eyed Fish, You Never Know (on my raised B), Stay or Leave, Oh, Stone, Seek Up, Ants, and pretty much any other somewhat challenging song you can name. Love them all. I know almost all of their songs.

Same here man. I also really like The Maker, even though it's so simple the melody is really nice. I'm glad to know I'm not the only person that has a specific guitar devoted only to raised b songs! That's a pretty serious level of obsession. :haha