Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=334873)

TheLastPig 07-03-2017 11:57 AM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by douglaskg41 (Post 16828213)
I haven't been on the boards in forever. Honestly I haven't listened to much DMB over the past few years, but I always find my way back.

I decided to listen to all the studio albums backwards chronologically and immediately decided that overall top to bottom, production, song quality, performance... Big Whiskey is a much better album than Away from the World.

Just wondering what the fan base thinks... I'm out of touch

im there with you.

BW is a better group of songs as a whole, even though AFTW has a couple better individual songs... but as an album, AFTW feels flat.

bigeyedpigs 07-03-2017 12:04 PM

I rarely listen to aftw, is it me or does the studio version of belly belly nice just sound strange. I can't put my finger on what it is it just sounds very off. Anyone else?

camptravisr 07-03-2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigeyedpigs (Post 16828219)
I rarely listen to aftw, is it me or does the studio version of belly belly nice just sound strange. I can't put my finger on what it is it just sounds very off. Anyone else?

The "love, love, love, love" backing vocals behind the chorus sound too loud to me, it kind of ruins a chorus that I do like.

WidespreadMule3 07-03-2017 01:12 PM

When AFTW first dropped I loved it. I thought it was one of their better albums but it's staying power hasn't lasted unfortunately. It's not a bad album, it's just no spectacular. And the only reason I view it more lightly than BWGK is because they shoved BWGK down our throats for almost 4 years.

At the end of the day I think BWGK is a better album.

stlbluespower 07-03-2017 01:47 PM

been mostly out of the loop recently. Why were the tour rumor threads locked?

TheLastPig 07-03-2017 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlbluespower (Post 16828284)
been mostly out of the loop recently. Why were the tour rumor threads locked?

thats a good question.

There was some nonsense discussion going on in there, which there is every year, and someone decided to lock it, its stupid.

stlbluespower 07-03-2017 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16828293)
thats a good question.

There was some nonsense discussion going on in there, which there is every year, and someone decided to lock it, its stupid.

If nonsense was the standard, may as well shut down the entire site.

misschung 07-04-2017 12:17 AM

Rooftop is an almost completely different song live. I love it.

mHeiser92 07-04-2017 12:52 AM

Rooftop live is great. But I'll agree that AFTW just didn't do it for me. Remember the day it came out and went and got a physical copy like I do with all my stuff... I was so excited for it. Andn2 days later after running it through start to finish being so disappointed.

It's not horrible, but it ain't good. I would agree that Big Whiskey as an album is better, overall.

Edit: I really do like Rooftop live or studio. That's a good track

TwoStep2888 07-04-2017 02:31 AM

I love AFTW, it's one notch below the UTTAD/Crash/BTCS/LWS big four for me

bigeyedpigs 07-04-2017 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mHeiser92 (Post 16828459)
Rooftop live is great. But I'll agree that AFTW just didn't do it for me. Remember the day it came out and went and got a physical copy like I do with all my stuff... I was so excited for it. Andn2 days later after running it through start to finish being so disappointed.

It's not horrible, but it ain't good. I would agree that Big Whiskey as an album is better, overall.

Edit: I really do like Rooftop live or studio. That's a good track

I felt the same way after I listened to stand up and aftw. I've tried but the aftw songs do nothing for me. I like broken things and belly nice but the rest are forgettable to me. I think rooftop sounds like stp, belly full is a waste, gaucho is horrendous, snow outside seems like a stay or leave bside. I'd rather listen to everyday.

dpduke5173 07-04-2017 02:39 PM

Was watching 9/1/13 from the Gorge and that LLD is fantastic. Really nice moment between Dave and Stefan reacting to the lick he's playing during the jam around 1:43:00

https://youtu.be/7_n2UJFGtEw

pattyman313 07-04-2017 03:58 PM

I'd take Broken Things, Rooftop, Snow Outside or Drunken Soldier over any BW song

dontdrink36 07-04-2017 04:47 PM

Write a Song needs to come back both full band and Dave and Tim.

dmbolp 07-04-2017 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pattyman313 (Post 16828579)
I'd take Broken Things, Rooftop, Snow Outside or Drunken Soldier over any BW song

Exact same here

coldblueice 07-04-2017 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 16828586)
Write a Song needs to come back both full band and Dave and Tim.

which is better, Beachball or Write a Song?

they are a very similar vibe. i like both. i'd give it to Beachball in a pinch...

RSSR 07-04-2017 09:35 PM

They are both overly cheesy songs with cheese lyrics. I don't know which way to go.

RSSR 07-04-2017 09:39 PM

Thinking more about it, I guess Beachball, because of 5.01.09. I'm voting for that amazing beautiful improvised outro.

dpduke5173 07-04-2017 09:45 PM

Still haven't seen Beach Ball in any form. Not sure how I missed it in the acoustic sets in 2015. Would be cool if they decided to bring it back full band.

dontdrink36 07-04-2017 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldblueice (Post 16828645)
which is better, Beachball or Write a Song?

they are a very similar vibe. i like both. i'd give it to Beachball in a pinch...

I very much like both. They have a sound/vibe I wish the band would explore again. I'd say Write A Song by a hair.

WidespreadMule3 07-05-2017 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoStep2888 (Post 16828471)
I love AFTW, it's one notch below the UTTAD/Crash/BTCS/LWS big four for me

This is how I felt when it came out.

Now, I'd put it in the tier above SU. But still below the BWGK tier.

That said, I'd rather hear a AFTW song over a BWGK song pretty much any show.

stlbluespower 07-05-2017 01:25 PM

I'll give the edge to BW over AFTW by quite a bit. Granted that BW was overplayed for 2-3 years, but now, when I hear a BW song, it takes me back, in a good way, to memories of those years and to specific concerts and venues. I have no such strong memories associated generally with AFTW songs live.

snow1868 07-05-2017 01:38 PM

AFTW over BW every, single, time. It's not even close.

camptravisr 07-05-2017 02:16 PM

Was thinking back to when I watched the Beacon Theatre show before the Big Whiskey release in 2009... I watched that show 4 or 5 times all the way through since I had it recorded on our DVR.

During the encore break (I think) the Fuse reporter did an interview with these 2 guys in attendance for the show, probably around ages 25-30. They had won a prize, I think it was a signed poster of the event. Two things I remember. The one guy said, "It was a great show, but I really wanted to hear Pig." Then the reporter asked what they were going to do with their poster. The other guy said, "Well...there's 1 poster...and we don't live together. So we're going to have to figure this out..." :lol

Kind of a disaster of an interview, it just popped in my head for some reason.

blaise34 07-05-2017 03:32 PM

BW is far and away better than aftw. Broken things is good, the riff is great, but other than that.. half of it is just straight unlistenable for me

TheLastPig 07-05-2017 04:16 PM

"the riff is great" :lol

I actually like the song unlike most of AFTW but come on.

AFTW ranked:

Snow outside
Broken Things
The Riff
lots of poop emojis

jenhen27 07-05-2017 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camptravisr (Post 16828929)
Was thinking back to when I watched the Beacon Theatre show before the Big Whiskey release in 2009... I watched that show 4 or 5 times all the way through since I had it recorded on our DVR.

During the encore break (I think) the Fuse reporter did an interview with these 2 guys in attendance for the show, probably around ages 25-30. They had won a prize, I think it was a signed poster of the event. Two things I remember. The one guy said, "It was a great show, but I really wanted to hear Pig." Then the reporter asked what they were going to do with their poster. The other guy said, "Well...there's 1 poster...and we don't live together. So we're going to have to figure this out..." :lol

Kind of a disaster of an interview, it just popped in my head for some reason.

I used to watch that on Hulu all the time. That #41 sax solo is worth setting on repeat. That was a very awkward interview and I think it ended when the interviewer noticed that the band was back on stage and just cut the interview off.

Save

DEMITRI 07-05-2017 08:35 PM

I just realized they released cry freedom on this most recent warehouse disc which kinda shits on my hopes for getting this work of art any time soon if ever at all....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2YedNxD0HQ

Also give us a god damn 'break for it' already for fucks sake

blaise34 07-05-2017 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16829000)
"the riff is great" :lol

I actually like the song unlike most of AFTW but come on.

AFTW ranked:

Snow outside
Broken Things
The Riff
lots of poop emojis

Snow outside is like can't stop levels of boring

smb41 07-05-2017 10:13 PM

Did anyone notice the "Any The Idea of You fans out there?" posts on the DMB Facebook and Twitter pages that has since been deleted?