Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=334873)

iammine 06-17-2016 05:35 AM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpencerTiff (Post 16470563)
What made 08 a great tour seemed to be the renewed energy and passion the band had after getting Tim and losing Roi. Getting Cornbread, Thank You, Eh Hee, and Gravedigger every night isn't great but the band rocked out and made up for it with a great show overall and Dave's voice was in great shape. I love Leroi's last Ants and that's by far my favorite. Ants has never sounded just right with Jeff in 3.0.

I would argue that the renewed energy and passion was there even pre-accident. I was lucky enough to go to a few shows in June that year and I distinctly remember talking after about how the shows felt more energized and inspired than anything I had seen since before the SU tour.

SpencerTiff 06-17-2016 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iammine (Post 16470578)
I would argue that the renewed energy and passion was there even pre-accident. I was lucky enough to go to a few shows in June that year and I distinctly remember talking after about how the shows felt more energized and inspired than anything I had seen since before the SU tour.

True. SPAC 08 on youtube is incredible.

bowa36 06-17-2016 04:21 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX8V3acPxb4

I found a video of the Alligator Pie sound-check from Fenway 2009

dontdrink36 06-18-2016 01:05 PM

They just played Too Much as going to commercial music on Fox at the US Open

trd1610 06-18-2016 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 16472711)
They just played Too Much as going to commercial music on Fox at the US Open

Yeah that was an unexpected surprise. Watching coverage now and heading to the show tonight lol.

Dankguitar 06-18-2016 02:32 PM

It just hit me how good of a song Death on the High Seas is. I never gave it a chance before because the falsetto got on my nerves. But now it makes sense to me

bowa36 06-18-2016 09:24 PM

LT 34 has the greatest One Sweet World, as far as 'no instrumental intro' versions go.

davem#36 06-18-2016 09:26 PM

These sets are already stale as fuck.

bartender_man 06-19-2016 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davem#36 (Post 16473311)

Yup just awful

twostepr41 06-20-2016 06:28 AM

I honestly don't know that they can do anything else. Seek Up is a top 3 song in the catalogue but now its a noisy wreck with horns blasting most of the song. DDTW, Rapunzel, Typical, Warehouse are all shells of their former selves bc of the roaring electric guitar or the horn hi-note contest or a monotonous outro that is the same every single time. Jimi Thing has become a 20 minute filler at every show and again the outro is the same every time. The Sexy MF addition is straight stupid. I tried to watch the show the other night on Periscope but it was just not interesting anymore.

Hilly 06-20-2016 06:50 AM

Rhyme and Reason is better than Halloween and Last Stop. Why it's not receiving the same level of demand from people here is flabbergasting.

twostepr41 06-20-2016 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilly (Post 16474597)
Rhyme and Reason is better than Halloween and Last Stop. Why it's not receiving the same level of demand from people here is flabbergasting.

One of Dave's best riffs.

WidespreadMule3 06-20-2016 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davem#36 (Post 16473311)

Just doesn't seem to be any differentiation really. It seems as if it's the same set just different order every night.

trd1610 06-20-2016 07:13 AM

Quote:

Agreed wholeheartedly, though I do love Last Stop

Dankguitar 06-20-2016 07:31 AM

Tim, Jeff, and Rashawn Ross are three incredibly talented musicians from a technical aspect, but all 3 are borderline awful when it comes to a feel for melody. Boyd from a skill level aspect is pretty mediocre but he has a nice sense sense for melody occasionally. Long story short I miss LeRoi a lot and I even miss Butch. Piano solos are boring but he had an incredible sense for melody and dynamics, two things this band has severely lost. Now they're all up there competing to make the most obscene noises from their instruments. End of rant

excitingjae 06-20-2016 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dankguitar (Post 16474699)
Tim, Jeff, and Rashawn Ross are three incredibly talented musicians from a technical aspect, but all 3 are borderline awful when it comes to a feel for melody. Boyd from a skill level aspect is pretty mediocre but he has a nice sense sense for melody occasionally. Long story short I miss LeRoi a lot and I even miss Butch. Piano solos are boring but he had an incredible sense for melody and dynamics, two things this band has severely lost. Now they're all up there competing to make the most obscene noises from their instruments. End of rant

So will you be at Camden;)

twostepr41 06-20-2016 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by excitingjae (Post 16474757)
So will you be at Camden;)

This is exactly right. I just don't understand how Dave can know what Seek Up sounded like with Roi Moore, and then seemingly enjoy the way it sounds with Coffin and Ross just blaring as loud and long as they can on it. Edit: Meant to quote the post before this one.

TheLastPig 06-20-2016 08:21 AM

Quote:

You can think that. R&R is great as well, but its a song theyve been playing every year, so you shouldnt be surprised that LS gets more of a reaction.

Also, playing it one time isnt enough. It should be constantly in rotation.

kelchlsm 06-20-2016 08:25 AM

Sets are stale, not as in the fact the new songs are accomanpying them- but stale as in Last Stop disappeared- cornbread, seven, jimi, Sexy MF, have taken over.

NoMas7 06-20-2016 09:41 AM

If they are going to play Jimi everynight I atleast wish they would change up the outro on a night to night basis.

bowa36 06-20-2016 09:54 AM

Stefan solo »
Typical Situation

Hilly 06-20-2016 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoMas7 (Post 16475038)
If they are going to play Jimi everynight I atleast wish they would change up the outro on a night to night basis.

The current outro is great and the way they should have been doing Sexy MF the whole time.

Hilly 06-20-2016 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelchlsm (Post 16474883)
Sets are stale, not as in the fact the new songs are accomanpying them- but stale as in Last Stop disappeared- cornbread, seven, jimi, Sexy MF, have taken over.

DMB Sets have been "stale" since 1993.

Expecting things to be different now is silly.

NewAgedNerd 06-20-2016 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dankguitar (Post 16474699)

couldn't disagree with the bold (and the rest of the post for that matter) more.

Dankguitar 06-20-2016 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewAgedNerd (Post 16475090)
couldn't disagree with the bold (and the rest of the post for that matter) more.

Why don't you explain why you disagree, just saying you disagree isn't the greatest argument ;). I am not even one to complain about the band on here, I pretty much do it never. Tim's solos rarely have direction, he's just hitting a lot of notes in a small period of time. Any guest that the band has that plays electric guitar plays better more enjoyable solos than Tim (for example, Warren Haynes). I think Rashawn probably has a great sense of melody but him and Jeff are all about wailing these days.

mthawk07 06-20-2016 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilly (Post 16475077)
DMB Sets have been "stale" since 1993.

Expecting things to be different now is silly.

Being "stale" when they only have a catalogue of about 40 songs is different from being "stale" when they have a catalogue of well over 200 songs. It's one thing to only have a certain number of songs to play, it's another thing when they have a ton they could play, but only play a small amount of them on a regular basis.

Also, cutting three songs when the show still ends 10 minutes before curfew is damn near unforgivable. I would have been livid had I been at that show.

Hilly 06-20-2016 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mthawk07 (Post 16475217)
Being "stale" when they only have a catalogue of about 40 songs is different from being "stale" when they have a catalogue of well over 200 songs. It's one thing to only have a certain number of songs to play, it's another thing when they have a ton they could play, but only play a small amount of them on a regular basis.

Also, cutting three songs when the show still ends 10 minutes before curfew is damn near unforgivable. I would have been livid had I been at that show.

For 25 years they have had a set stable of songs for the tour. It's not going to be different in 2016.

Also, weird obsession with this site and needing to play until exactly 11:00. I'd love for the band to play another 2 hours, but ending at 10:50 or 11:00 isn't worth the venom it gets here.

nickdi913 06-20-2016 11:18 AM

This band is done...the end is near folks...:BANG

TheLastPig 06-20-2016 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hilly (Post 16475307)
For 25 years they have had a set stable of songs for the tour. It's not going to be different in 2016.

Also, weird obsession with this site and needing to play until exactly 11:00. I'd love for the band to play another 2 hours, but ending at 10:50 or 11:00 isn't worth the venom it gets here.

It is when they arent coming on stage until almost 8:30.

DMB has set their own standards in the past, theyre not living up to them in many ways right now.

Also, its not that they have a stable of songs, its that those are the only songs getting played right now. They are making no effort to play anything they cant already nail in their sleep.

jrkarger 06-20-2016 11:24 AM

That extra ten minutes could have been used to play Ants or Rapunzel.