Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=334873)

Route_2 05-26-2016 08:23 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need its own thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigWhiskey3 (Post 16439118)
Is there a way to see on the almanac whether a song was ever an opener? Or does anyone know if they have ever opened with Some Devil? Maybe it's just me but I think that would make a solid opener.

Go to the Songs section, pick the song, click View Slots.

NewAgedNerd 05-26-2016 11:18 PM

Been listening to LT 28 a good bit recently, other than a couple duds, I really like this release.

bowa36 05-28-2016 02:41 AM

https://youtu.be/-iSrQWz5KR8

tyler3440 05-28-2016 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowa36 (Post 16441405)

Oh Boyd.

Broken Wings 05-28-2016 04:48 PM

In a year from now, a third of DMB's history will have had Jeff as the saxophonist instead of LeRoi. Existing years total, not just touring

mthawk07 05-28-2016 04:52 PM

I wonder if Boyd even likes Twix?

bowa36 05-28-2016 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mthawk07 (Post 16441756)
I wonder if Boyd even likes Twix?

You know he does

TheStone91 05-28-2016 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowa36 (Post 16441757)
You know he does

I mean he's always toking...what stoner doesn't like Twix?

tyler3440 05-29-2016 02:54 AM

I haven't felt the loud pounding in my chest from the bass and drums in a long time at a dmb show. Of corse it's been loud but not as loud as I remember it being. Ok, last summer was the first time I was in the pit. I was about 3 people away from the front about center stage both times last summer in the pit and once this summer at little rock and I noticed I just didn't get as much as a boom as I was used to getting. I mean, I was definitely getting a boom but it didn't seem as intense as it once felt. I thought this had to do with being in front of the speaker stack. Going into the the oak moutain show on Tuesday I thought I was going to get the loud sound again but it was actually less boom then being in the pit/GA Floor. (At oak moutain I was in the second section in the second row. So I wasn't that far from the stage) I was on jeffs side of the stage. I wasn't in the middle so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.

I haven't really felt the full effects of the "boom" since Charlotte in 2014. At that show I sat about 15 rows behind the pit on Boyd's side.

My next show I will sit in the pit again. Would standing at the back of the pit have a better sound then the front of the pit?

Do y'all even know what I'm talking about or am I crazy?

Or maybe I'm just numb to the sound because I have been to 10 shows? Idk.

crounsa810 05-29-2016 04:38 AM

Satellite from tonight makes me really wish the guys would add jam sections to random songs every night. Seems they've gotten into too much of a "play it exactly the same each time" rhythm the past few years.

bartender_man 05-29-2016 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crounsa810 (Post 16442610)
Satellite from tonight makes me really wish the guys would add jam sections to random songs every night. Seems they've gotten into too much of a "play it exactly the same each time" rhythm the past few years.

Kinda agree on this :thumbsup

WidespreadMule3 05-29-2016 03:27 PM

Listening to LT 35 (recent purchase) and man, the mix is SO bad. It's such a shame because it's a great show but man, they butchered it.

I don't understand why they can't the LTs mix right. Some are really good, some ok and many are poor. Seems like they would've figured it out by now. I mean the Phish SBDs they release 20 min after every show sound better than some of these LTs and they have months/years to mix them.

YankeesDMB41 05-29-2016 04:12 PM

IF the band tours long enough, Jeff Coffin will eventually be in DMB longer than Roi

ToySoldier#34 05-29-2016 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler3440 (Post 16442602)
I haven't felt the loud pounding in my chest from the bass and drums in a long time at a dmb show. Of corse it's been loud but not as loud as I remember it being. Ok, last summer was the first time I was in the pit. I was about 3 people away from the front about center stage both times last summer in the pit and once this summer at little rock and I noticed I just didn't get as much as a boom as I was used to getting. I mean, I was definitely getting a boom but it didn't seem as intense as it once felt. I thought this had to do with being in front of the speaker stack. Going into the the oak moutain show on Tuesday I thought I was going to get the loud sound again but it was actually less boom then being in the pit/GA Floor. (At oak moutain I was in the second section in the second row. So I wasn't that far from the stage) I was on jeffs side of the stage. I wasn't in the middle so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.

I haven't really felt the full effects of the "boom" since Charlotte in 2014. At that show I sat about 15 rows behind the pit on Boyd's side.

My next show I will sit in the pit again. Would standing at the back of the pit have a better sound then the front of the pit?

Might want to get that checked out by a dr

spoot388 05-30-2016 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler3440 (Post 16442602)

there is a dead zone in the pit, which is what you are experiencing. the sound comes from speakers on the side of the stage, and the sound waves travel out into the crowd. the waves fan out in all directions from the speakers, but they don't travel straight sideways. think of it like 2 pavilion seating shaped cones, one from each speaker. the inner edges eventually meet, and the sound board is generally just a little further behind this point to have the best sound positioning. however, anybody in the triangle in the middle that is in the area before the inner edges meet is in the dead zone. you'll hear the music, but you're not hearing it directly, which is what causes the lack of "boom" in the sound.

that is the trade-off with having pit tickets. yes, you'll be super close, but you probably wont have ideal sound. being further back in the pit will help, but only if the pit is big enough. a small pit like SPAC won't make a difference. a big one like Alpine will though. you can also try standing off to one of the sides more to be more in line with one of the speakers. if you're looking for prime sound though, get as close to the sound board as possible.

tyler3440 05-30-2016 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoot388 (Post 16443700)
there is a dead zone in the pit, which is what you are experiencing. the sound comes from speakers on the side of the stage, and the sound waves travel out into the crowd. the waves fan out in all directions from the speakers, but they don't travel straight sideways. think of it like 2 pavilion seating shaped cones, one from each speaker. the inner edges eventually meet, and the sound board is generally just a little further behind this point to have the best sound positioning. however, anybody in the triangle in the middle that is in the area before the inner edges meet is in the dead zone. you'll hear the music, but you're not hearing it directly, which is what causes the lack of "boom" in the sound.

that is the trade-off with having pit tickets. yes, you'll be super close, but you probably wont have ideal sound. being further back in the pit will help, but only if the pit is big enough. a small pit like SPAC won't make a difference. a big one like Alpine will though. you can also try standing off to one of the sides more to be more in line with one of the speakers. if you're looking for prime sound though, get as close to the sound board as possible.

Thanks for explaining this! I had a really hard time trying to explain what I was trying to say. You couldn't have explained it any better. Well done. :thumbsup

tyler3440 05-30-2016 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 16442846)
Might want to get that checked out by a dr

What??? Why do i need to get checked out by a dr?

bowa36 05-30-2016 02:55 AM

Mansfield Jam and Kill the Preacher should just be classified as two different 'songs' now...the former being in the 'defunct' category, only played twice. Kill the Preacher [partial] is really just the whole 'song' that evolved from Mansfield Jam....maybe should be considered a segue due to its strict placement before Why I Am. Anyone please correct me if my logic is wrong..?

tyler3440 05-30-2016 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowa36 (Post 16443730)
Mansfield Jam and Kill the Preacher should just be classified as two different 'songs' now...the former being in the 'defunct' category, only played twice. Kill the Preacher [partial] is really just the whole 'song' that evolved from Mansfield Jam....maybe should be considered a segue due to its strict placement before Why I Am. Anyone please correct me if my logic is wrong..?

Your logic sounds good to me.

Every time I hear the word Mansfield jam I think it's some type of Segway from the 1990s or 2004 or something. Like it was an actual jam. Mansfield jam is not a jam lol.

Mateo2k 05-30-2016 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler3440 (Post 16443734)

Every time I hear the word Mansfield jam I think it's some type of Segway from the 1990s or 2004 or something. Like it was an actual jam. Mansfield jam is not a jam lol.

The word is actually spelled segue.

Segway is that two wheel transportation device for tourists and mall security.

barbogast 05-30-2016 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler3440 (Post 16443734)

The original Mansfield jam was very much a jam. Seemed to be completely improvised the night it was played. In fact it was so good, it got put on a WH disc. You do know what the Mansfield jam is, right?

BruceW 05-30-2016 10:29 AM

Mansfield jam was just that, a jam in Mansfield. And it was fucking awesome.

garagebrothers 05-30-2016 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crounsa810 (Post 16442610)

Tis a sad truth unfortunately :( I know some of my friends that had also been going to see them since '95 actually stopped going because they said it's so repetitive now, nothing like the early years. It's shocking to me that the band doesn't listen more to the fans about what they are wanting to hear after all these years. So many great songs that get no love at all.

Gene Parmesan 05-30-2016 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mateo2k (Post 16443765)

Tyler has been spelling his ass off lately, let's not confuse him.

tyler3440 05-30-2016 11:58 AM

I know what Mansfield jam is. It's the chords to kill the preacher with different lyrics. Something about " I want to see you again"

But it's not a jam to me because a "jam" is where the whole band participates and it doesn't have lyrics. Like the bathroom break jam from 04 I think. I mean Dave wasn't on that jam until the end but it was more then just Dave solo.

tyler3440 05-30-2016 12:07 PM

Ok, I just listened to it again and yeah that is a "jam". for some reason I thought it was Dave solo.

DEMITRI 05-30-2016 12:10 PM

Is it weird that Masfield Jam is one of my favorite things this band has ever released? For whatever reason, anytime I'm making a DMB playlist it finds its way on there. The lyrics really hit home for me and I love the music. Everyone is killing it.

oceansoul41 05-30-2016 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mateo2k (Post 16443765)

Ok that was funny.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

NewAgedNerd 05-30-2016 11:20 PM

After listening to a lot of tracks from each tape that's come out, I have a really strong feeling that this is the best the band has sounded in a long time. Everything just feels so energetic and full of life as opposed to the last few years which have sounded like a band going through the motions.

CrashTheStone41 05-31-2016 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DEMITRI (Post 16443845)
Is it weird that Masfield Jam is one of my favorite things this band has ever released? For whatever reason, anytime I'm making a DMB playlist it finds its way on there. The lyrics really hit home for me and I love the music. Everyone is killing it.

A lot of emotion in that jam. The new lyrics of Kill The Preacher will not match this.