Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=334873)

cry_minarets458 11-18-2022 07:06 PM

Re: Random dmb thoughts that don't need their own thread

setting up for an epic N2 but this set is atrocious. but they're having so much fun up there!

hopewelljones 11-18-2022 07:12 PM

Ocean and the Butterfly is up there with Bismarck, which is real high

seanbrutus 11-18-2022 07:39 PM

Set was fine but I’m glad I stayed home.

spoot388 11-18-2022 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 (Post 18302520)
setting up for an epic N2 but this set is atrocious. but they're having so much fun up there!

if this is atrocious, why are you even a fan? its not a jaw dropping set, but for a n1, it is absolutely a solid set.

dreamingtree_34 11-18-2022 08:55 PM

Shouldn't there be some energy in hallowed halls like the United Center and MSG to really bring your best? Athletes, bands, comics-- it seems like there is a genuine respect for the privilege of playing MSG. These sets are airballs, mail ins, bombs. Casual fans who shelled out hundreds just to get a set of mostly unrecognizable, low quality songs by a band in denial, are unlikely to do repeat business. This is the sunset of DMB and it ain't pretty!

Route_2 11-18-2022 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamingtree_34 (Post 18302644)
Shouldn't there be some energy in hallowed halls like the United Center and MSG to really bring your best? Athletes, bands, comics-- it seems like there is a genuine respect for the privilege of playing MSG. These sets are airballs, mail ins, bombs. Casual fans who shelled out hundreds just to get a set of mostly unrecognizable, low quality songs by a band in denial, are unlikely to do repeat business. This is the sunset of DMB and it ain't pretty!

https://www.reddit.com/r/DMB/comment...dmb_best_show/

Titotimmy 11-18-2022 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopewelljones (Post 18302538)
Ocean and the Butterfly is up there with Bismarck, which is real high

I don’t think Ocean and the Butterfly could sniff Bismarck’s jock to be honest.

RunawayTwoStep 11-18-2022 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titotimmy (Post 18302649)
I don’t think Ocean and the Butterfly could sniff Bismarck’s jock to be honest.

OATB is an awful song.

TerrapinMonkey 11-18-2022 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamingtree_34 (Post 18302644)

When you’ve played MSG as much as they have, they likely don’t care anymore. Outside of Sunday Nigh at the Gorge, Dave treats every show the same. Could be Iowa, could he Arkansas, could be San Francisco, Chicago, sau paulo, Paris , South Africa or fucking MSG. He doesn’t give a fuck and will play what he wants to write on that yellow lined paper.

Gunz 11-19-2022 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunawayTwoStep (Post 18302653)
OATB is an awful song.

How so?

It screams classic dmb to me.

RunawayTwoStep 11-19-2022 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunz (Post 18302679)
How so?

Absolute snoozer of a song that sounds like nothing IMO

Cptn. Monkeyman 11-19-2022 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunawayTwoStep (Post 18302653)
OATB is an awful song.

It’s the studio track I’m looking forward to most out of the 4 new band tunes.

patdeegan 11-19-2022 08:36 AM

I don’t think we will get a N2 like MSG N2 (Drive In opener, James Brown etc), but a lot of classics still should be played and I predict a guest, a la Warren Haynes or someone of that stature. Could we still get You and Me and Sam Cop (which I like) and some other overplayed times? Jimi? Sure.

But Nancies—>Warehouse, Seek Up, Two Step, Rapunzel, maybe even Best and Jane are all options (all played this tour). PFWYG was also slated for an encore one of the winter shows in the encore, so that is still on Dave’s mind too.

patdeegan 11-19-2022 08:37 AM

Like MSG in 2002 I meant

hopewelljones 11-19-2022 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunz (Post 18302679)
How so?

Yup, for me it’s perfect from start to finish. Really enjoy the music and lyrics.

salrx95 11-19-2022 09:14 AM

Still not a fan of lithograph and Bayou still just ok.

Also, I can't believe 12/21/02 is gonna be 20 years old next month. Still my best dmb concert moment.
Was reminiscing a lot last night of my many shows at msg over the years including those 4 great ones in 2002.

ryguy469 11-19-2022 10:18 AM

Did they play the third verse of grey street last night?

Utopia 11-19-2022 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryguy469 (Post 18302857)
Did they play the third verse of grey street last night?

Yeah

ryguy469 11-19-2022 10:29 AM

Thought so; really, really enjoyed that.

KevinTH 11-19-2022 10:31 AM

Oh man, I adore Ocean and the Butterfly. That horn line run in the middle is like Roi’s spirit blowing out to let us know he’s still here. Beautiful song. It’s funny to me that songs like this, Spaceman, and Black and Bluebird get dumped on here yet they sound more like the DMB everyone misses and wants back.

When anyone calls a song like OATB a snoozer my response is, Proudest Monkey, Pay For What You Get, #34, Lover Lay Down, I’ll Back You Up. Songs people love that are lyrically and musically on par with these newer tunes that are somehow considered snoozers.

hopewelljones 11-19-2022 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinTH (Post 18302862)
Oh man, I adore Ocean and the Butterfly. That horn line run in the middle is like Roi’s spirit blowing out to let us know he’s still here. Beautiful song. It’s funny to me that songs like this, Spaceman, and Black and Bluebird get dumped on here yet they sound more like the DMB everyone misses and wants back.

When anyone calls a song like OATB a snoozer my response is, Proudest Monkey, Pay For What You Get, #34, Lover Lay Down, I’ll Back You Up. Songs people love that are lyrically and musically on par with these newer tunes that are somehow considered snoozers.

:thumbsup:thumbsup especially to Spaceman. One of my favorite DMB songs ever.

alec 11-19-2022 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinTH (Post 18302862)

If I had to guess, I would think it is the main verse riff that turns people off. It sounds extremely generic and the reason most people on here love DMB so much is because Dave typically writes very unique sounding guitar parts. The rest of the song does not sound generic but the first time I ever heard OATB I thought Dave was covering Earth Angel at first.

Titotimmy 11-19-2022 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alec (Post 18302903)
If I had to guess, I would think it is the main verse riff that turns people off. It sounds extremely generic and the reason most people on here love DMB so much is because Dave typically writes very unique sounding guitar parts. The rest of the song does not sound generic but the first time I ever heard OATB I thought Dave was covering Earth Angel at first.

Put pretty perfectly, the Jeff intro is slick (the more Jeff the better imo) but other than that it just feels generic.

KevinTH 11-19-2022 01:40 PM

So in that case I guess I point my finger to Pay For What You Get. I should say that I offer my opinion and perspective in good fun. I enjoy comparing and contrasting music and art. So to each their own of course, and everyone has their own preferences, but it’s almost the same exact rhythm structure to PFWYG. Nothing generic about that. PFWYG is no more interesting in structure and lyrical content than OATB. OATB even has a very Dave Matthews signature spider crawl riff to break the song up. I love that Carter is on brushes. While Dave and Tim are super relaxed in their style, Carter is sliding in to couple it with beautiful brush accents. This song exemplifies what DMB always did so wonderfully. They truly created themes through the dynamics in which they approached their music. In this tune they’re playing off each other dynamically and letting the music breathe and flow. The horn run may be the most Roi sounding thing this band has done since, well, Roi. The DMB of old was amazing at matching the music to that of Dave’s playful and unique lyrics and guitar style. The imagery they create in this song is spot on to that of DMB circa 98-04.

I get some of the complaints people have with this band, but it’s been getting to be a bit much. So when the band delivers music that hits those classic DMB elements it surprises me to see so many people dismiss them as snoozefests or uninteresting.

KevinTH 11-19-2022 01:46 PM

I’d also add that, for me, there’s just something about a mellow dynamic tune that makes you slow down for a few minutes and let go.

anthonysoscia 11-19-2022 02:01 PM

I agree, and to add to that the lyrics and melody have that more natural, curious feel, and are open to interpretation.

Cryfreedom09 11-20-2022 05:55 AM

Ok, stupid question time. Lol. I wanted to know peoples thoughts on the following question. We hear a lot about albums being too compressed. What is the primary advantage of having a higher dynamic range. I understand it sounds a lot better when you’re a cranking it on a good system but is there any advantage of you’re listening at lower levels? Curious to hear peoples thoughts. I’ve had the mindset that more compression at lower volumes is an advantage so you can hear everything better. But I’m pretty naive with this stuff, so I’d love to be informed ����

Gunz 11-20-2022 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinTH (Post 18302935)
So in that case I guess I point my finger to Pay For What You Get. I should say that I offer my opinion and perspective in good fun. I enjoy comparing and contrasting music and art. So to each their own of course, and everyone has their own preferences, but it’s almost the same exact rhythm structure to PFWYG. Nothing generic about that. PFWYG is no more interesting in structure and lyrical content than OATB. OATB even has a very Dave Matthews signature spider crawl riff to break the song up. I love that Carter is on brushes. While Dave and Tim are super relaxed in their style, Carter is sliding in to couple it with beautiful brush accents. This song exemplifies what DMB always did so wonderfully. They truly created themes through the dynamics in which they approached their music. In this tune they’re playing off each other dynamically and letting the music breathe and flow. The horn run may be the most Roi sounding thing this band has done since, well, Roi. The DMB of old was amazing at matching the music to that of Dave’s playful and unique lyrics and guitar style. The imagery they create in this song is spot on to that of DMB circa 98-04.

I get some of the complaints people have with this band, but it’s been getting to be a bit much. So when the band delivers music that hits those classic DMB elements it surprises me to see so many people dismiss them as snoozefests or uninteresting.

Agreed 100%.

RunawayTwoStep 11-20-2022 08:23 AM

Glad some of you love OATB, but I don’t agree with the point that “well x is just like y, so how can you not like it?”

The song just doesn’t hit home for me, oh well.

Xcacel 11-20-2022 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cryfreedom09 (Post 18303258)
Ok, stupid question time. Lol. I wanted to know peoples thoughts on the following question. We hear a lot about albums being too compressed. What is the primary advantage of having a higher dynamic range. I understand it sounds a lot better when you’re a cranking it on a good system but is there any advantage of you’re listening at lower levels? Curious to hear peoples thoughts. I’ve had the mindset that more compression at lower volumes is an advantage so you can hear everything better. But I’m pretty naive with this stuff, so I’d love to be informed ����

Good question. If you check on previous post of dobyblue there is a lot about that.
Check out for example:
https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/s...&postcount=434

Also this:
https://www.mixonline.com/news/loudness-war-over-420885

I’ll add just one concept. When compression is minimal (so called glue compression), you have a warmed mix, where everything is sticked or “glued” together a bit more. Overall sensation is pleasing to your ears.
After a certain level, you start to lose information. The compressor acts on the so called transients, which are turned down, and you start to affect the overall mix. You get something loud, because the lows are turned up, but you started losing dynamics. They say that a common sensation is that the mix makes you want to turn the volume down, after a bit.

bowa36 11-20-2022 12:53 PM

OATB sounds like something from '02-'03..almost like a song scrapped from Some Devil. Am I alone in thinking that? Bismarck has a similar sound

Xcacel 11-20-2022 01:09 PM

Updating my stats after the two MSG shows. Only 17 so far. And I have realized that I saw 13 times DDTW (that means 3 times every 4 shows). That’s a curse.

https://images2.imgbox.com/73/e6/CRckfCrl_o.png

Alpine416 11-20-2022 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcacel (Post 18303406)
Updating my stats after the two MSG shows. Only 17 so far. And I have realized that I saw 13 times DDTW (that means 3 times every 4 shows). That’s a curse.

https://images2.imgbox.com/73/e6/CRckfCrl_o.png

How do you like it in the E2 slot?

haiku.warrior 11-20-2022 01:18 PM

could be worse
I'm 5/5 on Bayou so far

pzamps210 11-20-2022 01:25 PM

Make fall tour shows great again. They need to find away to make them special and different than everything they’ve done all summer.

IMO summer should be a normal show and fall tour they should bring back 2 sets. Can you imagine how awesome MSG would be with 4 sets total and a ton of rare stuff played in the acoustic sets?

bowa36 11-20-2022 01:28 PM

I haven't seen Cry Freedom in 25 years

Cptn. Monkeyman 11-20-2022 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pzamps210 (Post 18303424)
Make fall tour shows great again. They need to find away to make them special and different than everything they’ve done all summer.

IMO summer should be a normal show and fall tour they should bring back 2 sets. Can you imagine how awesome MSG would be with 4 sets total and a ton of rare stuff played in the acoustic sets?

I’d be very into this idea

Cptn. Monkeyman 11-20-2022 02:08 PM

I think the acoustic sets would benefit from the indoor arenas they play in the fall

NightShadow577 11-20-2022 02:51 PM

i’ve heard it live once but i don’t really know the tune. can someone send me a good version OATB so i can get caught up?

bowa36 11-20-2022 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightShadow577 (Post 18303458)
i’ve heard it live once but i don’t really know the tune. can someone send me a good version OATB so i can get caught up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmKlu3UYaE4

grilldanmo 11-20-2022 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowa36 (Post 18303427)

26+ here, 1st/last time was @SPAC in ‘96.

Got Proudest Monkey for the FIRST time @SPAC this summer.

The list is too long for songs that we should hear more often or that we want to hear. The standard for set lists that were in that doc from 2009 or so has not really been effect for at least a decade at this point. The songs that are regularly played at venues is far longer than it should be.

rain delay 11-20-2022 06:30 PM

https://youtu.be/JE2pEroh8QI

Stgeurin 11-20-2022 08:43 PM

If you’ve ever wondered if the opinions on the boards were the minority, go read the comments on Facebook below DMB’s night 2 post. How does the band read those (obviously I don’t actually think Dave does) and not keep doing exactly what they’re doing. I don’t agree with it, I just say the fact remains.

spoot388 11-20-2022 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stgeurin (Post 18303559)
If you’ve ever wondered if the opinions on the boards were the minority, go read the comments on Facebook below DMB’s night 2 post. How does the band read those (obviously I don’t actually think Dave does) and not keep doing exactly what they’re doing. I don’t agree with it, I just say the fact remains.

read the comments and posts people make about the other shows during the all tour being "the best ever" and you'll have your answer

Cryfreedom09 11-21-2022 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcacel (Post 18303313)
Good question. If you check on previous post of dobyblue there is a lot about that.
Check out for example:
https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/s...&postcount=434

Also this:
https://www.mixonline.com/news/loudness-war-over-420885

I’ll add just one concept. When compression is minimal (so called glue compression), you have a warmed mix, where everything is sticked or “glued” together a bit more. Overall sensation is pleasing to your ears.
After a certain level, you start to lose information. The compressor acts on the so called transients, which are turned down, and you start to affect the overall mix. You get something loud, because the lows are turned up, but you started losing dynamics. They say that a common sensation is that the mix makes you want to turn the volume down, after a bit.

Thanks X. That makes a lot more sense now. Great explanation. I'll check out those links as well..

Xcacel 11-21-2022 08:32 AM

I did't know what Toy Soldiers was till today. I played the Warehouse of DMB Live 25 when listening on shuffle and I said loud: "What the Hell!".

ToySoldier#34 11-21-2022 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xcacel (Post 18303663)
I did't know what Toy Soldiers was till today. I played the Warehouse of DMB Live 25 when listening on shuffle and I said loud: "What the Hell!".

https://youtu.be/b1kbLwvqugk

BigEyedIdiot 11-21-2022 11:30 AM

It is awesome watching Leroi's reaction to Jeff's solo on that 32 minute #41 from back in 02.

kmbean 11-21-2022 06:51 PM

I really hope Rashawn joins a mariachi band this off-season and never returns to DMB.

Gravedigger789 11-21-2022 09:19 PM

Hahahaha.

The Rashawn hate around here never ceases to crack me up. He is such an important member of this iteration of the band, LeRoi’s protege, the musical director. Dude isn’t going anywhere. Embrace him.

kmbean 11-21-2022 11:59 PM

I’ll never embrace Mr. Grey Squeak.

Remember when this band was actually good prior to this dip’s arrival? I do.

hopewelljones 11-22-2022 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmbean (Post 18304124)

You joined this site 4 full years after they stopped being good? :lol

Gunz 11-22-2022 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger789 (Post 18304113)
Hahahaha.

The Rashawn hate around here never ceases to crack me up. He is such an important member of this iteration of the band, LeRoi’s protege, the musical director. Dude isn’t going anywhere. Embrace him.

I don’t hate him but the idea that he’s irreplaceable or needed is fools gold. If he’s the musical director he sure has sucked the last decade.

prdstmnky36 11-22-2022 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmbean (Post 18304124)

::raises hand::

Beauford3641 11-22-2022 07:14 AM

I know it gets mentioned a lot on here about RR being the musical director of DMB, but I've always thought that Carter was most likely the actual musical director in the band.

monizzle145 11-22-2022 07:30 AM

Quote:

Hahahaha.

Is it too much to ask him to play in the lower realms of the treble clef? If not they need to literally just make him a coach on the sideline with a headset and no trumpet and he can call the jam plays from the sideline.

Also if he is responsible for Jeff not having a sax solo on songs like #41 while he plays and Tim plays than Dave needs to look for a new Offensive Coordinator.

TerrapinMonkey 11-22-2022 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauford3641 (Post 18304216)
I know it gets mentioned a lot on here about RR being the musical director of DMB, but I've always thought that Carter was most likely the actual musical director in the band.

I think if you watch the old school videos in the 90's and early 2000's Carter is very much directing the energy of certain songs, changes, count ins etc in the live setting.

But I think Roi was still more of the creative director at that time behind the scenes, with the writing, and really leading the jams with Boyd in terms of throwing up softballs for Carter and Fonz to build energy off of. Carter isn't keeping Dave or the rest of the band on track in terms of how songs go when they rehearse, other band members parts, changing jams (the few times they do).

RR has taken over that, and certainly directs the band on stage now too. You can watch him and Stefan, Dave checking him for cues, Buddy relying on him for changes. RR knows EVERYONE's parts and all the songs inside and out. I'm sure the band is still a democracy with Dave in charge. But my guess is when Dave wants to bring an old song back, or change a jam, cut a jam, he relies on RR to get the others on the same page.

TerrapinMonkey 11-22-2022 07:34 AM

Quote:

Hahahaha.

I would agree. I too get tired of the take this note as high as it can go and then eeeeeeeeEEEEEE eeeee until he's out of breath, but I think this band will crumble if he goes.

TerrapinMonkey 11-22-2022 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowa36 (Post 18303427)

Will you "cry freedom" when you hear it next? I heard it once in 25 years in 2016 at the Gorge. Great to check it off the list, but wasn't the magic I'd hoped it would be. Carlos Malta really didn't help as he meandered all over it. If I would have heard it in the 90's I'm sure it was powerful live.

Cptn. Monkeyman 11-22-2022 07:55 AM

The problem with the horn solos is that they’re often going for the biggest crowd reaction which is usually from the ridiculously high register notes. It was very apparent on Jimi and Ants at the Chicago show. The guest horns and Rashawn were going straight to 10 on their first and second bars when there were 4 bars for each player. Other than that, I have zero issues with Rashawn as a player, and generally am a fan of the trumpet.

TerrapinMonkey 11-22-2022 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowa36 (Post 18303394)
OATB sounds like something from '02-'03..almost like a song scrapped from Some Devil. Am I alone in thinking that? Bismarck has a similar sound

I would agree with the 02 sound, but not necessarily from the Some Devil era. More of the Loving Wings, Gravedigger realm. I know Gravedigger is on Some Devil, but to me it's the most DMB sounding song on that record.

Bismarck is just a great classic sounding DMB song. It's so obvious that is exactly why it's been scrapped. I think Dave is done with the DMB of old and only plays classics to appease the fans.

prdstmnky36 11-23-2022 09:00 AM

Has there ever been a SPAC blanket (or any venue specific blankets) similar to this?

https://imgur.com/a/gPA8xSy

crounsa810 11-23-2022 06:46 PM

Why do they not have Bela guest more often? He and the Flecktones used to be all over the place with the band and now they’ve been missing for quite a long time.

Cptn. Monkeyman 11-23-2022 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crounsa810 (Post 18304996)
Why do they not have Bela guest more often? He and the Flecktones used to be all over the place with the band and now they’ve been missing for quite a long time.

They had them on the bill for the Gorge in 2020. I had tickets too, was hoping the flecktones would come out and jam on 41. Then Covid happened :/

Still hope they book them at the Gorge again, or at least one of Bela’s solo projects.

Xcacel 11-23-2022 07:27 PM

Quote:

I was talking about the same exact thing at late Friday night, after MSG N1, at the bar of the hotel, to a woman, DMBfamily-stylish, 150+ shows seen.
The only comment she made about my wish of seeing Béla with DMB again was: “he’s such a nerd”. And everybody around laughed.

kmbean 11-23-2022 07:52 PM

Bela most likely doesn’t want to bother trying to find space between Rashawn squealing, squeaking and blaring away all night.

kmb40oz 11-23-2022 08:38 PM

Who are Dave's contemporaries? Are there any musicians right now on the same level as Dave Matthews that are also in the same age and career positioning.

Trey is an obvious choice, and Dave has a good relationship with him from the outside looking yet. What other well-known or unknown musicians with you rank as Dave's contemporaries.

Cptn. Monkeyman 11-23-2022 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmb40oz (Post 18305030)
Who are Dave's contemporaries? Are there any musicians right now on the same level as Dave Matthews that are also in the same age and career positioning.

Trey is an obvious choice, and Dave has a good relationship with him from the outside looking yet. What other well-known or unknown musicians with you rank as Dave's contemporaries.

It's cliche, but Mayer/Dead & Co is an easy comparison

spoot388 11-23-2022 09:07 PM

Quote:

i think jeff switching to DMB caused the flecktones to kind of break up

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmb40oz (Post 18305030)

maybe guys from other jam bands that have been around a while, like umphreys, or some country singers like toby keith or keith urban?

Route_2 11-23-2022 11:00 PM

Quote:

The saddest thing was having the 2020 Gorge weekend cancelled when Bela was slated to be the opener. What might have been that weekend.

YankeesDMB41 11-24-2022 11:31 AM

Broken Things is one of my all time favorite DMB songs.

Royal123 11-24-2022 05:06 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you and your families!!!🦃💯👍

Alexis17 11-24-2022 10:10 PM

new source of Giants Stadium 1998 posted to Dreaming Tree

Monkeysmoke 11-25-2022 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoot388 (Post 18305035)
i think jeff switching to DMB caused the flecktones to kind of break up

maybe guys from other jam bands that have been around a while, like umphreys, or some country singers like toby keith or keith urban?

Flecktones haven’t split up. They still tour but lately Bela has been focused on his Bluegrass work. Jeff Coffin wasn’t even an original member of the Flecktones. Howard Levy left the band and they got Jeff to replace him and then when Coffin left Howard Levy rejoined.

monizzle145 11-25-2022 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkeysmoke (Post 18305228)
Flecktones haven’t split up. They still tour but lately Bela has been focused on his Bluegrass work. Jeff Coffin wasn’t even an original member of the Flecktones. Howard Levy left the band and they got Jeff to replace him and then when Coffin left Howard Levy rejoined.

Agreen 100% Bela has been on Bluegrass side and prior to Chick Correa's passing had a run of shows and Victor Wooten has been exploring time with his bass extremes project and last year had some show with his family band. But the band had been playing pre pandemic well past Jeff going to DMB so Jeff leaving isn't even close to being a factor lol.

TypicalBilly14 11-25-2022 06:35 PM

The Providence Civic Center opened 50 years ago this month. Here's the setlist from the last time that DMB played that arena (changed names to Dunkin Donuts Center and Amica Mutual Arena):

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dave-...-1bd6fd14.html

TwoStep2888 11-25-2022 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 (Post 18305110)

:thumbsup

haiku.warrior 11-25-2022 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeesDMB41 (Post 18305110)

love the opening one-two punch of Broken Things and Belly Belly Nice on AFTW

Alexis17 11-26-2022 07:36 AM

New source for 7/28/1992 just posted to Dreaming Tree includes the unheard soundcheck where they are writing Drive In Drive Out on the fly.

Click the "Show Spoiler" Button to reveal hidden text.

hopewelljones 11-26-2022 09:42 AM

“Boyd not present for soundcheck” :lol

anthonysoscia 11-26-2022 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerrapinMonkey (Post 18304232)
I think if you watch the old school videos in the 90's and early 2000's Carter is very much directing the energy of certain songs, changes, count ins etc in the live setting.

But I think Roi was still more of the creative director at that time behind the scenes, with the writing, and really leading the jams with Boyd in terms of throwing up softballs for Carter and Fonz to build energy off of. Carter isn't keeping Dave or the rest of the band on track in terms of how songs go when they rehearse, other band members parts, changing jams (the few times they do).

RR has taken over that, and certainly directs the band on stage now too. You can watch him and Stefan, Dave checking him for cues, Buddy relying on him for changes. RR knows EVERYONE's parts and all the songs inside and out. I'm sure the band is still a democracy with Dave in charge. But my guess is when Dave wants to bring an old song back, or change a jam, cut a jam, he relies on RR to get the others on the same page.

100% agree. I think Rashawn has been in that role in the studio too when it comes to ideas for the music/arrangements. I’m pretty sure the way the WATM outro was cut/edited from ‘21 to ‘22 was Rashawn’s doing as well (assuming that happened bc the record label wanted it shortened).

Beauford3641 11-28-2022 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TypicalBilly14 (Post 18305418)
The Providence Civic Center opened 50 years ago this month. Here's the setlist from the last time that DMB played that arena (changed names to Dunkin Donuts Center and Amica Mutual Arena):

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dave-...-1bd6fd14.html

I was at that very show. It was a fantastic one. Plus Robert Randolph and the Family Band opened, so it was a great time right out of the gate. I saw them in Providence in 2000 and in 2002. It was really a great place to see DMB.

grilldanmo 11-30-2022 01:40 PM

Would you buy a poster that you didn't really like from a show you went to just because it was the "best" (your favorite) show on that given tour?

ToySoldier#34 11-30-2022 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 18307182)
Would you buy a poster that you didn't really like from a show you went to just because it was the "best" (your favorite) show on that given tour?

No, but I'd never buy a poster so probably not the best person to answer

RSSR 11-30-2022 03:19 PM

I forgot how much I love LiC. The art work, even despite all the dubs, and editing, love it. Brings me back going to Walmart, opening it, and rocking out The Last Stop.

KevinTH 11-30-2022 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 18307218)
I forgot how much I love LiC. The art work, even despite all the dubs, and editing, love it. Brings me back going to Walmart, opening it, and rocking out The Last Stop.

I shouldn’t be alive the amount of times I nearly caused an accident air drumming to Last Stop in the car

RSSR 11-30-2022 06:48 PM

Tim shredding on Crash Into Me on LiC is beautiful. Some reason it's beautiful and tasteful here. He does have his moments.

spoot388 11-30-2022 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 18307182)

i buy posters because of how the posters look, not because of how the show was. i've been to great shows that had crap posters that i have never wanted to buy. good songs don't make ugly pictures prettier to look at.

hopewelljones 11-30-2022 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 18307218)

:thumbsup:thumbsup

98 really rocks. Tim's playing is so much better. Maceo Parker on WWYS. Rutman and Victor on the Maker, Roi's wah effect on Jimi, Boyd's plucking solo in Watchtower. Such a great show.

kmbean 12-01-2022 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopewelljones (Post 18307367)
:thumbsup:thumbsup

98 really rocks. Tim's playing is so much better. Maceo Parker on WWYS. Rutman and Victor on the Maker, Roi's wah effect on Jimi, Boyd's plucking solo in Watchtower. Such a great show.

And no Rashawn.

How on Earth did the band figure out that amazing Last Stop reprise outro without a musical director???

grilldanmo 12-01-2022 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoot388 (Post 18307351)
i buy posters because of how the posters look, not because of how the show was. i've been to great shows that had crap posters that i have never wanted to buy. good songs don't make ugly pictures prettier to look at.

It’s always in part about commemorating the moment. We’ve enjoyed our three Hartford shows to date, but the posters have been a pass for each year.

The biggest part is liking the poster, but just after that is supporting the poster artists. But charging the same price for a methane as a Slater, Tsang, Eads, etc. is wacky.

hopewelljones 12-01-2022 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmbean (Post 18307370)
And no Rashawn.

How on Earth did the band figure out that amazing Last Stop reprise outro without a musical director???

Id rather have Rashawn than Boyd who literally needed a re-do on his LIOG solo :lol

kmbean 12-01-2022 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopewelljones (Post 18307387)
Id rather have Rashawn than Boyd who literally needed a re-do on his LIOG solo :lol

How did your Thanksgiving oxtail turn out Rashawn?
Hope the fall tour wasn’t too stressful for you.

hopewelljones 12-01-2022 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmbean (Post 18307389)
How did your Thanksgiving oxtail turn out Rashawn?
Hope the fall tour wasn’t too stressful for you.

Thanks yeah it was a good time! Just hope all the fans who chose to buy tickets are okay, they seemed very stressed but I know they’ll still try again in 2023 and expect DMB to be better. I’m trying!

Titotimmy 12-01-2022 06:31 AM

I used to try to get a poster for every show I’ve been to but I lost all motivation for that about 15 shows ago. These days I have to really be in love with how it looks; it’s been a while since I felt that way strong enough to cut off tailgating/pre-show activities to get in line for doors etc.

RSSR 12-01-2022 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmbean (Post 18307370)
And no Rashawn.

Ummm...Roi was probably their music director in the old days, he and Lillywhite created the montage that became Crash.

TerrapinMonkey 12-01-2022 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titotimmy (Post 18307399)
I used to try to get a poster for every show I’ve been to but I lost all motivation for that about 15 shows ago. These days I have to really be in love with how it looks; it’s been a while since I felt that way strong enough to cut off tailgating/pre-show activities to get in line for doors etc.

Older posts used to be worth getting! Most of the ones I see now are not. Occasionally there's a handful of posters a year that look interesting.

TypicalBilly14 12-03-2022 08:29 PM

Would love to have this show on vinyl. First time Christmas Song played.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dave-...-5bd42f14.html

haiku.warrior 12-03-2022 09:54 PM

happy bday to this incredible moment
https://twitter.com/copperpot5/statu...2pDU7VAsijKvBQ
wish more stuff like this would happen today

spoot388 12-03-2022 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haiku.warrior (Post 18308735)
happy bday to this incredible moment
https://twitter.com/copperpot5/statu...2pDU7VAsijKvBQ
wish more stuff like this would happen today

its really disappointing that a group with so much talent and creativity doesn't try stuff like this more. it would be awesome for every night to have the E1 slot be something unique, like dave and jeff lover lay down, dave and stefan crush, dave and buddy grace.