Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

~Crashintome89~ 03-06-2012 05:18 PM

Re: NHL 2011/2012 Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by dduncan6er (Post 13407784)
Beating Vancouver made it more fun. Marchand punching Sedin is one of my favorite hockey moments ever.

Marchand is scum.

Roose13 03-06-2012 05:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Stupid. I've seen a better Bryz PS

dduncan6er 03-06-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 13408312)
Marchand is scum.

If only he could be more like Hartnell and Rinaldo. :rolleyes

tball123 03-06-2012 05:54 PM

Haven't been in here since last playoffs, but fucking Sabres blew it last night. They don't deserve to make the playoffs (and most likely won't). Bums....

~Crashintome89~ 03-06-2012 06:00 PM

Kronwall needs to be laid out. What a fucker this guy is. Killing people left and right. No respect in this game anymore.

bradshaw06 03-06-2012 06:50 PM

oh my. just saw the Kronwall hit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qtip...layer_embedded

impact right to the head.

DMBCubs25 03-06-2012 06:50 PM

That's his MO

hoke2007 03-06-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 13408479)
Kronwall needs to be laid out. What a fucker this guy is. Killing people left and right. No respect in this game anymore.

That was absolutely not Kronwall's fault. The guy had his head down. I'm not quite sure where else Kronwall could've made impact. I mean, Kronwall makes the hard hits, sure. But keeping your head up is elementary hockey. I'm not sure why players continually skate with their heads down when Kronwall is on the ice.

Fact is that was a clean hit. Brutal, but clean. He didn't leave the ice, didn't lead with his elbow. The guy he laid out didn't know what was around him and he paid the price. I hope he's okay though.

lockman21 03-06-2012 07:10 PM

Honestly, I hate Kronwall, but I agree with Matt.

Roose13 03-06-2012 07:11 PM

Ilya Brzygalov is good.

lockman21 03-06-2012 07:18 PM

God I hate the Blues. Biggest group of tools outside Vancouver.

~Crashintome89~ 03-06-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoke2007 (Post 13408742)
That was absolutely not Kronwall's fault. The guy had his head down. I'm not quite sure where else Kronwall could've made impact. I mean, Kronwall makes the hard hits, sure. But keeping your head up is elementary hockey. I'm not sure why players continually skate with their heads down when Kronwall is on the ice.

Fact is that was a clean hit. Brutal, but clean. He didn't leave the ice, didn't lead with his elbow. The guy he laid out didn't know what was around him and he paid the price. I hope he's okay though.

It is a hit to the head. Plain and simple. Pretty dirty to me to do that to a guy. Same thing happened with Havlat a couple of years ago.

~Crashintome89~ 03-06-2012 07:27 PM

The fact that Kronwall doesn't man up and fight either irks me as well. Richards did it, Cooke, I believe, did it as well. It's all about respect in this league. That hit was bushleague.

efraser77 03-06-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 13408832)
It is a hit to the head. Plain and simple. Pretty dirty to me to do that to a guy. Same thing happened with Havlat a couple of years ago.

I didn't see the hit in question, but a guy getting hit in the head is not automatically a "hit to the head." Guys need to take responsibility for their own play. If you're 6'1" and have your head down not paying attention, and some guy who's 6'5" hits you and his shoulder happens to contact your head, that does not make him a dirty player.

In other news, hopefully this isn't true within a few hours, but as of this moment, Jamie McGinn has more goals since he was traded by the Sharks than the entire team he left. :BANG

~Crashintome89~ 03-06-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efraser77 (Post 13408871)
I didn't see the hit in question, but a guy getting hit in the head is not automatically a "hit to the head." Guys need to take responsibility for their own play. If you're 6'1" and have your head down not paying attention, and some guy who's 6'5" hits you and his shoulder happens to contact your head, that does not make him a dirty player.

In other news, hopefully this isn't true within a few hours, but as of this moment, Jamie McGinn has more goals since he was traded by the Sharks than the entire team he left. :BANG

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...qeZNftL645nYcB

Voracek had his head down for a split second. Kronwall takes three or four strides into him, fully knowing he isn't looking, and goes in there anyway. You know how there is a penalty for high-sticking, and it's a double minor for blood drawn? You know the argument of being responsible for your stick. It should be the same way for your hits as well.

efraser77 03-06-2012 07:36 PM

Apples and oranges, IMO. A high stick only happens when the stick is raised up high. Guys get hit in the face by a stick while they're on the ground, and no penalty is called. If you lower your head and don't look where you are going, am I supposed to just let you skate by, so as to avoid incidental contact between your face and my shoulder?

EDIT: It's similar to boarding calls that look horrible and can result in injuries and major penalties but are only caused by a guy irresponsibly turning at a bad time to avoid a check. If you see a guy coming at you, just turn your numbers at him and he'll get a penalty for your dumb decision.

Proudest_Raider 03-06-2012 07:37 PM

Glad I didn't get to watch the game tonight. Not sure WTF happened - Pekka never gives up that many goals.

~Crashintome89~ 03-06-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efraser77 (Post 13408896)
Apples and oranges, IMO. A high stick only happens when the stick is raised up high. Guys get hit in the face by a stick while they're on the ground, and no penalty is called. If you lower your head and don't look where you are going, am I supposed to just let you skate by, so as to avoid incidental contact between your face and my shoulder?

Oh, I'm sorry--good point--let's just make your head the principal point of my hit.

efraser77 03-06-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 13408906)
Oh, I'm sorry--good point--let's just make your head the principal point of my hit.

Oh, I'm sorry--good rebuttal--let's just ignore everything I said.

hoke2007 03-06-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 13408832)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 13408851)
The fact that Kronwall doesn't man up and fight either irks me as well. Richards did it, Cooke, I believe, did it as well. It's all about respect in this league. That hit was bushleague.

Ok, so where should Kronwall have hit him? The guy had is head down. He led with his head. Kronwall hit him as cleanly as he possibly could have. I'd be pissed if someone did that to one of my players and I'm not saying you have to like Kronwall. But clearly the Flyers did a poor job on their scouting report for the Wings. One of the main points the coaching staff should've emphasized was to keep your head up when Kronwall is on the ice. It's really not that difficult to do.

I've seen dirty hits and this Kronwall hit really wasn't one of them. It was brutal and tough to watch, but it wasn't bush league. And I'm not sure how fighting leads to respect in the NHL. I'm all for fights, but I doubt that if Kronwall starting dropping his gloves you would suddenly respect him as a player.

monkeyman68 03-06-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoke2007 (Post 13408742)

You are 100% spot on.

All Flyers fans should know that this hit on Voracek has been a loooooooonnnnnnnnnggggg time coming. The guy just does not skate with his head up. He has been clocked a couple of times already this season (although not to this extent) and he has had a couple of near misses. To be honest, I haven't seen a player skate with his head down this obviously since #88.

It is a clean hit and I am not upset by it at all. It certainly wasn't a blind side hit as Kronwall was skating directly at him. Kronwall also shouldn't have to fight after this hit just because Voracek apparently never learned to skate with his head up.

It is certainly a brutal hit but one that is not a penalty

efraser77 03-06-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyman68 (Post 13408926)
You are 100% spot on.

All Flyers fans should know that this hit on Voracek has been a loooooooonnnnnnnnnggggg time coming. The guy just does not skate with his head up. He has been clocked a couple of times already this season (although not to this extent) and he has had a couple of near misses. To be honest, I haven't seen a player skate with his head down this obviously since #88.

It is a clean hit and I am not upset by it at all. It certainly wasn't a blind side hit as Kronwall was skating directly at him. Kronwall also shouldn't have to fight after this hit just because Voracek apparently never learned to skate with his head up.

It is certainly a brutal hit but one that is not a penalty

Maybe it's a Czech thing. Milan Michalek has always had the same problem.

~Crashintome89~ 03-06-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efraser77 (Post 13408921)
Oh, I'm sorry--good rebuttal--let's just ignore everything I said.

And you should know that while I have always been reasonable in NHL discussion, maybe it is not the time to take my word to be the bible--as I am pretty sure I make no sense.

In all reality, this was hit waiting to happen for Voracek. Guy never has his head up. I'm more infuriated that Kronwall didn't drop the gloves than I am of the hit.

Bron Yr Aur 03-06-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoke2007 (Post 13408925)
Ok, so where should Kronwall have hit him? The guy had is head down. He led with his head. Kronwall hit him as cleanly as he possibly could have. I'd be pissed if someone did that to one of my players and I'm not saying you have to like Kronwall. But clearly the Flyers did a poor job on their scouting report for the Wings. One of the main points the coaching staff should've emphasized was to keep your head up when Kronwall is on the ice. It's really not that difficult to do.

I've seen dirty hits and this Kronwall hit really wasn't one of them. It was brutal and tough to watch, but it wasn't bush league. And I'm not sure how fighting leads to respect in the NHL. I'm all for fights, but I doubt that if Kronwall starting dropping his gloves you would suddenly respect him as a player.

If you are going to take runs at unsuspecting players, then you should man up and fight the guys who are going to take issue. Instead, Kronwall gets down on his knees and turtles like a bitch.

Kronwall had all day to decide whether he was going to hit Voracek. He saw Voracek was in a vulnerable position, yet he did nothing to lessen the hit and still targeted the head. Maybe he tried to yell at Jake to warn him, but I dunno....he saw the guy, and still made a concerted run at the guy, and to the head no less. Didn't just go in with a hip check. Shoulder > head.

I don't care if a guy is skating with his head down....you still don't hit one of your fellow players like that. Shit can end a career.

I don't know if it's a penalty, or even 'dirty.' I just don't like seeing guys do that to other players who are vulnerable when it doesn't need to be that violent in order to separate the guy from the puck.

efraser77 03-06-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 13408945)
And you should know that while I have always been reasonable in NHL discussion, maybe it is not the time to take my word to be the bible--as I am pretty sure I make no sense.

In all reality, this was hit waiting to happen for Voracek. Guy never has his head up. I'm more infuriated that Kronwall didn't drop the gloves than I am of the hit.

Fair enough on your first point, it's hard to argue rationally when you're mad. But as to being upset that he didn't fight, why does that matter? How would fighting make him more of a man? Why should he have to fight someone just because Voracek had his head down when he hit him? That's a part of NHL culture that's gotten out of hand, the idea that gloves must be dropped and blood must be shed after a hard, clean hit.

efraser77 03-06-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 13408952)
If you are going to take runs at unsuspecting players, then you should man up and fight the guys who are going to take issue. Instead, Kronwall gets down on his knees and turtles like a bitch.

Kronwall had all day to decide whether he was going to hit Voracek. He saw Voracek was in a vulnerable position, yet he did nothing to lessen the hit and still targeted the head. Maybe he tried to yell at Jake to warn him, but I dunno....he saw the guy, and still made a concerted run at the guy, and to the head no less. Didn't just go in with a hip check. Shoulder > head.

I don't care if a guy is skating with his head down....you still don't hit one of your fellow players like that. Shit can end a career.

I don't know if it's a penalty, or even 'dirty.' I just don't like seeing guys do that to other players who are vulnerable when it doesn't need to be that violent in order to separate the guy from the puck.

So, we must punish violence with violence?

~Crashintome89~ 03-06-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by efraser77 (Post 13408955)
Fair enough on your first point, it's hard to argue rationally when you're mad. But as to being upset that he didn't fight, why does that matter? How would fighting make him more of a man? Why should he have to fight someone just because Voracek had his head down when he hit him? That's a part of NHL culture that's gotten out of hand, the idea that gloves must be dropped and blood must be shed after a hard, clean hit.

Because that's what you do. Why is it that the NHL is the only sport out of the major four where fighting is allowed? Because that's how it is. That's what the players do.

I'm just not believing the argument that Kronwall couldn't separate his man from the puck without taking his head off. He could have--but he always looks for blood. He almost got Schenn about a minute before he got Voracek too.

hoke2007 03-06-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur (Post 13408952)

He would've been blindsided by Kronwall no matter if he got hit from the front or the side. He wasn't paying attention. Are you telling me that Kronwall should've let the guy essentially skate past him with the puck because he wasn't as alert as he should've been?

Ok fine, you think that Kronwall should drop his gloves every time he lays out someone who isn't paying attention. I just don't agree with it. He did nothing wrong on this hit and shouldn't have to defend the hit. He shouldn't have to penalize his team because he hit a guy who had no idea of his surroundings and therefore has to fight to defend his honor.

efraser77 03-06-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 13408971)
Because that's what you do. Why is it that the NHL is the only sport out of the major four where fighting is allowed? Because that's how it is. That's what the players do.

I'm just not believing the argument that Kronwall couldn't separate his man from the puck without taking his head off. He could have--but he always looks for blood. He almost got Schenn about a minute before he got Voracek too.

That hasn't been always "what you do." In the past 5-6 years, the whole "I want to fight you for delivering a clean hit on my teammate" mentality has gotten out of control. And to be honest, wanting fighting but asking if maybe Kronwall didn't have to hit him so hard, seems kind of contradictory.

efraser77 03-06-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoke2007 (Post 13408989)
He would've been blindsided by Kronwall no matter if he got hit from the front or the side. He wasn't paying attention. Are you telling me that Kronwall should've let the guy essentially skate past him with the puck because he wasn't as alert as he should've been?

Ok fine, you think that Kronwall should drop his gloves every time he lays out someone who isn't paying attention. I just don't agree with it. He did nothing wrong on this hit and shouldn't have to defend the hit. He shouldn't have to penalize his team because he hit a guy who had no idea of his surroundings and therefore has to fight to defend his honor.

All of this. :thumbsup