Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

MOWJO8185 04-24-2016 06:35 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16386325)
^i feel for ya bud

Are there more difficult teams to be a fan of besides the Blues and Caps? They've both had some truly tremendous groups over the years and come up frustratingly short every single time

The most apt comparison that some of the local media has made is the Utah Jazz in the NBA. Just in terms of consistent regular season success and no titles to show for it.

The Blues have made the playoffs in 40 out of their 48 seasons in existence.

JRS1386 04-24-2016 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16386322)
At least we can get this over with quickly today and I don't have to stew on it for the next 11 hours

I was hoping for a night game as I have work til 515

aeroshady 04-24-2016 07:14 AM

Okay, so here comes my end of the (Rangers) season post. Last night I watched the Hawks/Blues game and was totally into it. So I think I will continue to be into these playoffs even with the Rangers out.

Anyway, where to start...

I think it is important to point out that the last three years I have been in school (second degree in Engineering) during the first round of the playoffs. Sadly, the first round against Philly two years ago, Pitt last year, and Pitt this year were mostly full of games I couldn't watch because of my schedule. The last two years it didn't matter, this year it did. Unfortunately, I only watched game 2 of this years first round, and obviously that was the exception.

That out of the way, here are my thoughts on the NY Rangers and the first round this year.

The Match-up:

Obviously, everyone knew the Penguins were the hottest team going into the playoffs. Even with Malkin and Fleury down with injury, the Penguins found a way to be amazing in the second half of the season. Never has a coaching change looked so good in the middle of a season. They play amazing two way hockey and frankly are very hard to match. I know the Rangers had knocked the Pens out the last two seasons, but I don't think anyone had the Rangers winning this series. The addition of Hags also can't be overlooked. Especially in this series because he literally switched teams from last year. Losing Hags was a huge blow to the NYR this year. We lost speed like crazy with him gone. I get the cap issues and that it was him or Step, but it is worth noting that Hags will be playing in the second round and Step will not.

The Pens were pretty much perfect this year in the first round. The Rangers were far from it. Which brings me to the overall point of my post.

Changing of the times:

What we watched this year was in my opinion the end of an era in New York for the Rangers. I don't think any Rangers fan in our hearts truly believed the Rangers had a chance this year. I think the players knew it to. This team had their chance over the last 10 years. We first made the playoffs again in 2006. From that point we were sold on just getting playoff experience and learning how to play playoff style hockey. Hank got better every year. The defense became a shut down team that could take any game with Hank in net. We just lacked offense. So additions were made that didn't really help. Nash, St. Louis, and this year Staal. The one thing remained constant, the Rangers can't score.

Now, ten years have gone by. The Rangers have made the playoffs in all but one of those years. As a fan who grew up in the era of 8 seasons in a row of no ployoffs...these past ten years have been some of the happiest of my life. I was not a hockey fan when they won it all in 1994. I was there in 97, but that was it until we made it in finally in 2006.

The success the Rangers have had over the past 5 seasons have made them one of the best teams in hockey. Three trips to the ECF's, and one Eastern Conference Championship (something that will have to hold me over, and sadly is my happiest hockey moment of my life). The point is, this team has been great. They just never made it all the way to the top. It hurts to be that close and not win it. Leading me to my next and final point...

Just out of reach:

It really hurts. I mean, getting to the finals and losing is a very hard pill to swallow. Also making it to two ECF's and losing, once in a game 7 at home, and another time to your rival was a major gut punch. But what hurts the most is knowing that the chance is over.

The truth is, this NYR team is not "battle tested," it is "battle worn." They have played way to many games over the past 5-10 years, and it shows. No one was any good this year. Hank was bad, the defense was soft and slow, and the offense was the same as always. They looked like a team that just had noting left in the tank.

The season in review will show that too. This team starting as the hottest team in the MET and one of the best in hockey. However, they quickly fell apart in November and December and never really recovered. They were just out of gas.

The future:

The most upsetting thing to me is where to go from here. I think for most of us fans, we know it is time to start over. "Blow it up" is the phrase everyone likes to use. It has become clear that Hank will never win a cup in NY. The sad part is that even if we moved him, it doesn't look like he is good enough to win it anywhere now.

My worry is that the management is going to try and drag this death out over several years and not realize the window has closed. In fact, I am sure that this is what will happen. We should be shopping around anyone over 30 on our team, locking up the young guys who can be here 4-5 years from now and still be good, and trying to get as many draft picks as we can while freeing up cap space. Doing all of that is how you build for a new era and run at a cup in 4-5 years. There is zero chance the NYR do that. We will be stuck watching this team slowly die like the shell of the 1994 team did from 1997-2004. It will be hard to watch, and frustrating. I am just not sure if I am ready for all of that again.

Dramageek 04-24-2016 07:43 AM

As for your last paragraph, that's what I'd be most worried about. This year's Rangers did have a firm hold on second place in the Metro until the Pens went crazy, and they did earn 100 points. I'm not as familiar with management, but I can't imagine a New York team with the swagger of the Rags just completely blowing everything up, especially after a fairly successful regular season. So a slow death may be in order.

I remember after the 2001 season, the Pens started to fall apart slowly. They slowly started to shed stars like Kovalev and Straka in what were clearly salary dumps. Then Jaromir Jagr was "dying alive." Suddenly it was the Rico Fata era. I won't hesitate to say the Pens got extremely fortunate. They drafted Fleury and Geno and then won the Crosby lottery. Even after all that, there was still the threat to leave Pitsburgh to either Kansas City or Hamilton. At least you won't have to suffer through that nonsense.

I hope for your sake the Rags are smart about the future, though I can see them making some dumb moves to try to win now.

barbogast 04-24-2016 08:16 AM

Good post Greg. I think your slow death concerns are very real and the Rangers may be stuck in good-but-not-Cup-good for some years, meanwhile each year will get progressively worse and worse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16386338)
I was hoping for a night game as I have work til 515

I'm perfectly fine working through today's game

Lcsulla 04-24-2016 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin (Post 16386046)
I have a feeling Game 7 will be a Hawks winner in double OT.

I will settle for a win, do not care how they get it. What a great series so far.

Wow am I hungover today, 1 too many celebratory glasses of bourbon I think. Not sure I have been this hungover since around this time last year. Playoff hockey has it's up's and downs so I figure since it was a non work night why not stay up, drink a bit and watch the highlights!!!

cry_minarets458 04-24-2016 09:22 AM

The NHL Thread

You can have an extremely solid roster top to bottom, but if you play a team as hot as Pitt in the first round, it doesn't matter. Hot teams beat great teams, and I've never seen it as pronounced as I do in hockey year to year. That's what I love about the sport. You can actually see chemistry and heart do battle against talent and wit. (NOT saying Pitt doesn't have the same talent and wit. Just saying in general that hockey seems to be the most evenly matched sport when it comes to the playoffs, rankings don't matter as much, IMO). I love this time of year, regardless of how the pens end up every year.

TMoore4075 04-24-2016 09:36 AM

Thank god I have CBC to not have to deal with Albert on NBC.

TMoore4075 04-24-2016 09:56 AM

Caps are losing this series. They look like the Wings with their inability to score.

Roose13 04-24-2016 10:00 AM

Seriously, I can't think of a longer 40 seconds in my life than watch the Flyers just survive most of that 5 on 3 vs that PP. Jesus.

Guys, I'm gonna die.

mthawk07 04-24-2016 10:03 AM

Fuck Neuvirth.

Climb2safety 04-24-2016 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16386430)
Caps are losing this series. They look like the Wings with their inability to score.

This is how they've always blown it. Really hoping this is different but all it takes is a fluke goal like last game and that's that.

JRS1386 04-24-2016 10:14 AM

Girouxs reaction looking for a call after he hooked Oshie was priceless. I've been able to snag a few minutes of game time at work

mr.MikeD 04-24-2016 10:23 AM

Probably wrong prediction : caps kill this 5 on 3, get one and then the floodgates open.

JRS1386 04-24-2016 10:27 AM

Shut up asshole

mr.MikeD 04-24-2016 10:32 AM

I should go pick some lottery numbers

mthawk07 04-24-2016 11:01 AM

Can't believe the guy's sweater kept Philly from scoring. 20 more minutes!

~Crashintome89~ 04-24-2016 11:10 AM

One. More. Period.

Make it count, boys.

Dramageek 04-24-2016 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16386430)

Too bad for the Flyers they are exhibiting a similar inability to score.

TMoore4075 04-24-2016 11:38 AM

That looked like a tie game. Wow.

lockman21 04-24-2016 11:38 AM

So, I've been to some real crazy games at the UC. 2010 game 5 against Nashville, 2011 game 6 against Vancouver, 2013 game 7 against Detroit...this was as loud as I've ever heard the UC. Holy fuck that place was on absolute fire last night. What a game. Playoff games are always a little extra coin, but it's rare that I'll ever walk out of there feeling like it wasn't worth the money. That was worth every single penny and more. What a fucking experience.

Dramageek 04-24-2016 11:49 AM

Oh boy, Pens-Caps here we go!! Get the popcorn ready.

mthawk07 04-24-2016 11:50 AM

Caps! Yes!

Climb2safety 04-24-2016 11:51 AM

Thank you dear God!

Way to keep me up all night flyers, nice on you coming back winning those last two.

barbogast 04-24-2016 11:52 AM

Thank fucking god

lockman21 04-24-2016 11:53 AM

Of course we're getting Pens/Caps. I love Ovie so much, I really hope they win.

TMoore4075 04-24-2016 11:57 AM

I have the Cap going to round 3 in my bracket but the last 3 games they didn't look so hot and....they are facing the Pens. We know how that one usually goes.

barbogast 04-24-2016 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16386503)
Of course we're getting Pens/Caps. I love Ovie so much, I really hope they win.

Wait. Seriously?

dmbetc 04-24-2016 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16386495)
So, I've been to some real crazy games at the UC. 2010 game 5 against Nashville, 2011 game 6 against Vancouver, 2013 game 7 against Detroit...this was as loud as I've ever heard the UC. Holy fuck that place was on absolute fire last night. What a game. Playoff games are always a little extra coin, but it's rare that I'll ever walk out of there feeling like it wasn't worth the money. That was worth every single penny and more. What a fucking experience.

Was an awesome game! Glad you were able to get to UC.

Congrats Barbs and other Caps fans! I'm on the Caos bandwagon now for Justin Williams.

lockman21 04-24-2016 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16386508)
Wait. Seriously?

Yeah, I'd love a Caps/Hawks SCF. Obviously would want the Hawks to win the Cup...but since Hank is now out, Ovie is one of the guys outside Chicago that I'd love to see hoist the Cup.

He's changed his game so much since Trotz came on board. His personality has always been infectious, but it was his lazy defensive play is always what bothered me about him (and his hit on Brian Campbell years ago), but ever since Trotz...he's been so much better. I've gone from hating Ovie's game to really enjoying it.

I mean, Mike Green is gone, Ovie's game is better, Brouwer is out of Washington, I love Oshie, love Trotz...they're a lot more likable this year than in year's past. If only they didn't have that awful goal horn, I'd really be behind them.