Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

lockman21 04-20-2016 01:52 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16380937)
:thumbsup I'm sure he was pissed at the whole situation, but like I said, he just needs to be smarter there.

Andrew Shaw needs to be smarter in a lot of places.

Lcsulla 04-20-2016 01:55 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16380937)
:thumbsup I'm sure he was pissed at the whole situation, but like I said, he just needs to be smarter there.

Yeah, he has to grow up a lot, start acting like the 24 year old he is rather than the 2 year old he reverted to last night. I love his grit and how feisty he is but damn does he need to compose himself better.

Be interesting to see what happens for the game tomorrow, when Shaw got back on the ice Steen speared him and got called for roughing - then all hell broke loose and Toews, Kane, Shaw, Ladd, Panarin, Seabrook, Brouwer, Bouwmeester, Steen, Pietrangelo and Stastny got ten minute game misconducts. If they are all suspended that puts a major dent in both teams, will certainly send ratings down the toilet - basically you will have Keith, Anisomov, Teravainen, Hossa, Kruger, Desjardins, Panik and TVR firing away at Elliot while Backes, Berglund, Brodziak, Fabri, Lehtera, Schwartz and Tarasenko do the same to Crawford.

No idea how the league is going to handle that debacle.

Lcsulla 04-20-2016 02:00 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16380958)
Andrew Shaw needs to be smarter in a lot of places.

Yup, until he (hopefully) grows up he is going to be one of those guys who can be a game changer that can either help or hurt his team on any given night.

Climb2safety 04-20-2016 02:01 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16380829)
So, just catching up to everything. I didn't see him flipping off the refs.
.



You could make a case nobody did since he gave them the double bird with his gloves on. You kind of had to "lip read" this too.

~Crashintome89~ 04-20-2016 02:06 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16380960)
Yeah, he has to grow up a lot, start acting like the 24 year old he is rather than the 2 year old he reverted to last night. I love his grit and how feisty he is but damn does he need to compose himself better.

Be interesting to see what happens for the game tomorrow, when Shaw got back on the ice Steen speared him and got called for roughing - then all hell broke loose and Toews, Kane, Shaw, Ladd, Panarin, Seabrook, Brouwer, Bouwmeester, Steen, Pietrangelo and Stastny got ten minute game misconducts. If they are all suspended that puts a major dent in both teams, will certainly send ratings down the toilet - basically you will have Keith, Anisomov, Teravainen, Hossa, Kruger, Desjardins, Panik and TVR firing away at Elliot while Backes, Berglund, Brodziak, Fabri, Lehtera, Schwartz and Tarasenko do the same to Crawford.

No idea how the league is going to handle that debacle.

That was nothing.

rconverse 04-20-2016 02:10 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16380724)
I am serious, I have not seen a video replay and the only mention I have now seen is on ESPN where the headline is "Andrew Shaw appears to use gay slur; rights group contacting NHL." Appearing to do something is quite different than being caught red handed so to speak. Not defending him if he did make a slur like that but in the absence of conclusive evidence I do not believe it will be acted on.

Are there microphones in the box? If not it is a he said she said type thing and I doubt the league will step in.

I have to say though, no one's rights were violated. He used a word he shouldn't have, he didn't deny anyone into the building.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16380922)
Yup, if he did make some sort of homosexual slur I have no issue with a fine and suspension at all. I know he was pissed for taking a stupid penalty when Chicago was generating a lot of offense but that is absolutely no excuse for slurs and I hope the NHL responds accordingly.

I'm like 100% sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16380807)
it's most likely a given that the officials heard him utter the word as well.

I can't imagine the one didn't hear him as he seemed to yell it as he was skating by.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 16380829)
I'm not saying what happened was defendable or right, I'm just saying the NHLPA would lose their collective minds over a suspension from reading lips. They'd have to tie the whole thing together, which, now that I'm viewing everything, I'm starting to think they might. Just an embarrassing scene all around.

Yeah, I didn't know about the double bird until this morning. Complete meltdown by Shaw at the worst possible time. Don't get me wrong, the Hawks were still down a goal with only 2:00 minutes left, so still needed a goal just to get into OT but they went from like a 10% chance or tying to a 90% chance of losing by 2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16380970)
[/B][/B]
You could make a case nobody did since he gave them the double bird with his gloves on. You kind of had to "lip read" this too.

Yeah but there's no way he didn't say that word.

Lcsulla 04-20-2016 02:14 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16380976)
That was nothing.

Maybe but typically game misconducts result in a one game suspension. Best guess is that Shaw and Steen get suspended for tomorrow's game and they let the other guys off the hook because they were just jumping into a scuffle to protect their teammates.

Lcsulla 04-20-2016 02:19 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rconverse (Post 16380983)
I have to say though, no one's rights were violated. He used a word he shouldn't have, he didn't deny anyone into the building.

True.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rconverse (Post 16380983)
I can't imagine the one didn't hear him as he seemed to yell it as he was skating by.

I imagine the league is interviewing everyone that was in the vicinity today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rconverse (Post 16380983)
Yeah, I didn't know about the double bird until this morning. Complete meltdown by Shaw at the worst possible time. Don't get me wrong, the Hawks were still down a goal with only 2:00 minutes left, so still needed a goal just to get into OT but they went from like a 10% chance or tying to a 90% chance of losing by 2.

Exactly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rconverse (Post 16380983)
Yeah but there's no way he didn't say that word.

It is tough to be 100% certain though and he should be treated as innocent until proven guilty. That said if he did yell our a homosexual slur I have no issue with the league suspending and fining him.

fonzz41 04-20-2016 02:20 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16380960)
Be interesting to see what happens for the game tomorrow, when Shaw got back on the ice Steen speared him and got called for roughing - then all hell broke loose and Toews, Kane, Shaw, Ladd, Panarin, Seabrook, Brouwer, Bouwmeester, Steen, Pietrangelo and Stastny got ten minute game misconducts. If they are all suspended that puts a major dent in both teams, will certainly send ratings down the toilet - basically you will have Keith, Anisomov, Teravainen, Hossa, Kruger, Desjardins, Panik and TVR firing away at Elliot while Backes, Berglund, Brodziak, Fabri, Lehtera, Schwartz and Tarasenko do the same to Crawford.

None of the players involved in the end of game shenanigans will be suspended. 10's were given simply because it was the end of the game after the final whistle. If it was during the game, there would have been a lot of minor roughing penalties.

And Steen's little tap on Shaw during that final faceoff was nothing out of the ordinary. Shaw at that point was just pissed and had pretty much lost it.

hailtopitt 04-20-2016 02:21 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16381007)
It is tough to be 100% certain though and he should be treated as innocent until proven guilty. That said if he did yell our a homosexual slur I have no issue with the league suspending and fining him.

to the bolded: no he shouldn't...this isn't a court of law

and on top of that, there's already sufficient evidence for disciplinary actions

Climb2safety 04-20-2016 02:32 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
I personally prefer public shaming as a first line of defense against a player's use of a racial or homophobic slurs but the leagues gotta do what it's gotta do.

I mean, I'd be fired or surely disciplined if I called someone that at my work but then again, I can't fight people either or check the shit out of them in meetings if they get in my way.

rconverse 04-20-2016 02:41 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Per Comcast sports, here in Chicago, Shaw apologized basically saying that upon looking at the replay it was clear that what he said was inappropriate and hurtful adding that he was sorry and would learn from his mistake.

dmbetc 04-20-2016 02:43 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Shaw is a POS. Even more so that he didn't even apologize or take responsibility for his actions. Bull shit you didn't know what you said. Man up.

Edit: :lol just saw Roger's post. Of course he is now because he is being publicly shamed, rightfully so.

~Crashintome89~ 04-20-2016 02:44 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Can't believe Shaw had to do a video review the next morning to figure out the words that came out of his mouth.

He should have just apologized last night.

hailtopitt 04-20-2016 02:44 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16381095)
Shaw is a POS. Even more so that he didn't even apologize or take responsibility for his actions. Bull shit you didn't know what you said. Man up.

:thumbsup:thumbsup

rconverse 04-20-2016 02:55 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16381095)
Shaw is a POS. Even more so that he didn't even apologize or take responsibility for his actions. Bull shit you didn't know what you said. Man up.

Edit: :lol just saw Roger's post. Of course he is now because he is being publicly shamed, rightfully so.

Just because he used the "F" word or other stuff?

Totally agree that he knew what he said.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16381101)
Can't believe Shaw had to do a video review the next morning to figure out the words that came out of his mouth.

He should have just apologized last night.

As shitty as it sounds, people probably were waiting for an idea of the fallout. Ideally, he should have apologized last night and come clean but I don't know how anyone couldn't have seen this backlash coming. I feel like if I know it's coming, a sports organization should know what's coming.

fonzz41 04-20-2016 02:57 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
I mean, there are times where I'm riled up and I just say stuff. I don't throw out homophobic slurs or anything, but I'm also not kind. But it's always accompanied by the thought of, "oh man... I just said that. Crap, that was bad."

I've never been in that situation and thought, "wait, what did I just say? No really, I have no idea." :lol

MOWJO8185 04-20-2016 02:57 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

"I am sincerely sorry for the insensitive remarks that I made last night while in the penalty box," Shaw said. "When I got home and saw the video, it was evident that what I did was wrong, no matter the circumstances. I apologize to many people, including the gay and lesbian community, the Chicago Blackhawks organization, Blackhawks fans, and anyone else I may have offended. I know my words were hurtful and I will learn from my mistake."
I guess we don't have to rely on lip readers anymore.

Lcsulla 04-20-2016 02:57 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16381101)
Can't believe Shaw had to do a video review the next morning to figure out the words that came out of his mouth.

He should have just apologized last night.

He is not exactly what I would consider the brightest star in the sky.....

Climb2safety 04-20-2016 03:00 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rconverse (Post 16381092)
Per Comcast sports, here in Chicago, Shaw apologized basically saying that upon looking at the replay it was clear that what he said was inappropriate and hurtful adding that he was sorry and would learn from his mistake.

I don't know his background and if he was a POS before yesterday or not but based only on yesterday this seems fine with me. League releases a statement this type of thing is unacceptable, educates players further on this stuff etc and let's move on.

I've said stuff I regretted before, I know that. I'd bet he will learn from this too.

Climb2safety 04-20-2016 03:02 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
I can see someone not remembering every word they say in a situation like that. The guy had derailed.

dmbetc 04-20-2016 03:07 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rconverse (Post 16381145)
Just because he used the "F" word or other stuff?

Totally agree that he knew what he said.

All of it. Even if he didn't use homophophic slurs he was disrespectful and should of apologized for flipping off the refs, verbally said "fuck you" to the refs..

fonzz41 04-20-2016 03:08 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16381184)
I can see someone not remembering every word they say in a situation like that. The guy had derailed.

I agree with this. And the sad thing is, he'd played a pretty effective game up until that point. My mother in law is visiting and was watching the game with me last night. Lady knows nothing about hockey, and even she recognized that Shaw was always in front of the net, providing screens and causing general mayhem. Too bad he made us all forget that effective play due to his actions at the end of the game when it really mattered.

fonzz41 04-20-2016 03:18 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
On a completely different note, Yzerman sure is looking good for not rushing to trade Drouin, eh?

rconverse 04-20-2016 03:19 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16381206)
All of it. Even if he didn't use homophophic slurs he was disrespectful and should of apologized for flipping off the refs, verbally said "fuck you" to the refs..

Yeah, I think I mentioned before that I didn't know about flipping out the refs until today. The guy absolutely lost his shit last night, regardless of the one word.

SirBobalew 04-20-2016 03:31 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16381246)
On a completely different note, Yzerman sure is looking good for not rushing to trade Drouin, eh?

Yup. He's got an iffy attitude, but there was never any doubt the kid is extremely talented.

~Crashintome89~ 04-20-2016 03:34 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Yzerman was never going to trade him, especially after Drouin went home. There would be no way that Yzerman would have gotten anywhere near the value of Drouin. His best approach was wait and see, and fortunately for the Lightning it paid off. We'll see what happens in the off-season though. All I know is that winning can cure a lot of things. Maybe Drouin decides to stick around, who knows.

Lcsulla 04-20-2016 03:37 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16381011)
And Steen's little tap on Shaw during that final faceoff was nothing out of the ordinary. Shaw at that point was just pissed and had pretty much lost it.

Smacking him in the nuts with a stick behind the play isn't exactly a tap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16381173)
I don't know his background and if he was a POS before yesterday or not but based only on yesterday this seems fine with me. League releases a statement this type of thing is unacceptable, educates players further on this stuff etc and let's move on.

I've said stuff I regretted before, I know that. I'd bet he will learn from this too.

I hope he learns too. He is only 24 so hopefully he matures. As for past incidents I cannot recall any. I have watched almost every game of his career and he is physical, takes dumb penalties, chirps at guys, gets into fights and such but I have never seen him come unglued like that before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Climb2safety (Post 16381184)
I can see someone not remembering every word they say in a situation like that. The guy had derailed.

Yeah, he was just off his rocker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16381206)
All of it. Even if he didn't use homophophic slurs he was disrespectful and should of apologized for flipping off the refs, verbally said "fuck you" to the refs..

Refs have all seen and heard far worse than what Shaw did, for the cursing at them and flipping them the finger he probably would have gotten a double minor. It is the homosexual slur he made that is the big problem. No idea why he would do that, I know he was mad at himself for taking a stupid penalty but compounding it by becoming a completely unhinged lunatic made a 2 minute minor into a black mark on his career.

Lcsulla 04-20-2016 03:40 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16381211)
I agree with this. And the sad thing is, he'd played a pretty effective game up until that point. My mother in law is visiting and was watching the game with me last night. Lady knows nothing about hockey, and even she recognized that Shaw was always in front of the net, providing screens and causing general mayhem. Too bad he made us all forget that effective play due to his actions at the end of the game when it really mattered.

Agreed, he was playing a damn effective game all the way up until his meltdown.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 16381246)
On a completely different note, Yzerman sure is looking good for not rushing to trade Drouin, eh?

Good thing he didn't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16381319)
Yzerman was never going to trade him, especially after Drouin went home. There would be no way that Yzerman would have gotten anywhere near the value of Drouin. His best approach was wait and see, and fortunately for the Lightning it paid off. We'll see what happens in the off-season though. All I know is that winning can cure a lot of things. Maybe Drouin decides to stick around, who knows.

Agreed.

fonzz41 04-20-2016 03:41 PM

Re: The NHL Thread
 
I was definitely thinking Yzerman would be smart enough to wait until at least the draft. But you never know when that "perfect" offer will come along. I'm sure Yzerman got at least a few at and leading up to the deadline, but good for him for standing pat and taking the patient approach. Drouin's play, along with the rest of the team's, has really helped mitigate the loss of Stamkos... for now.

Big offseason for Yzerman. Does the Lightning's performance in the playoffs without Stamkos convince him to let him go to UFA, with the Lightning holding on to what continues to be a very well-rounded group of youngsters? If things work out with Drouin, that could very well be the case.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster. The rest is owned by antsmarching.org.