Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

dmbetc 01-11-2015 04:42 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Watching the Selanne retirement ceremony.

Happy I was able to see his last game in person.

salrx95 01-12-2015 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15752404)
No real update on Howie. Had MRI, now ultrasound tomorrow.

Read on cbs this am (I own him) that he has a slight tear and will be back after AS break. They did say he will have that mri to confirm it all. Guess it could have been worse.

Should be lots of hype in NY the next 36 hours leading to a much anticipated meeting of the Islanders/rag$. Can't wait.

unccrombie 01-12-2015 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15750829)
How have we not talked about the all star jerseys yet? Yikes. They look like those jerseys you get when you create a team in EA sports.

Anyone like them?

http://3.cdn.nhle.com/nhl/images/upl...-unveil-DL.jpg

didn't know the Oregon ducks were in the NHL.

TMoore4075 01-12-2015 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15753343)
Read on cbs this am (I own him) that he has a slight tear and will be back after AS break. They did say he will have that mri to confirm it all. Guess it could have been worse.

Hope so. We'll find out today probably I guess. Thank god they have some depth in goal. Sad thing is, now they have some kid as the backup since Monster is still out with his shoulder.

aeroshady 01-12-2015 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salrx95 (Post 15753343)

Should be lots of hype in NY the next 36 hours leading to a much anticipated meeting of the Islanders/rag$. Can't wait.

:lol

I know the Icelanders have not been good for a long time...so let me bring you up to date. Unless the Rangers or Icelanders make the eastern conference finals, there will be no mention of it on NY radio or TV. They won't be fully covered unless one of these teams makes the Stanley cup finals.

Because you know...the worst Knicks team in history, mediocre Nets, shitty Jets, non-playoffs Giants, same old Mets, elderly Yankees and any College sport they can find is far better than mentioning hockey.

Alazais 01-12-2015 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15753436)
Hope so. We'll find out today probably I guess. Thank god they have some depth in goal. Sad thing is, now they have some kid as the backup since Monster is still out with his shoulder.

Is it Mrazik? That kid is a stud.

TMoore4075 01-12-2015 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alazais (Post 15753516)
Is it Mrazik? That kid is a stud.

Well he's the #1 now. Some other kid is his backup. Mrazek has been great when he's been up here too. So I'm not too worried, unless he goes down too. Just sucks your #1 and 2 are both out. If Howie is out a long time, and when Monster comes back, I think Mrazek should be the #1 personally. He's the future so ride him (haha) as long as you can.

barbogast 01-12-2015 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15753497)

I know the Icelanders have not been good for a long time...so let me bring you up to date. Unless the Rangers or Icelanders make the eastern conference finals, there will be no mention of it on NY radio or TV. They won't be fully covered unless one of these teams makes the Stanley cup finals.

Because you know...the worst Knicks team in history, mediocre Nets, shitty Jets, non-playoffs Giants, same old Mets, elderly Yankees and any College sport they can find is far better than mentioning hockey.

Seriously? I mean, I'm from Redskins country where the sports media basically forgets there's 3 other pro sports teams in the same city, so I get it, but I would've expected different from the NY media. Obviously the NHL is still trumped by everything, but I was under the impression that NY and the media there got really into the Rangers when they were doing well. Not surprised to hear the Isles are still flying under the radar though.

Rebecca De Mornay 01-12-2015 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15750829)
How have we not talked about the all star jerseys yet? Yikes. They look like those jerseys you get when you create a team in EA sports.

Anyone like them?

http://3.cdn.nhle.com/nhl/images/upl...-unveil-DL.jpg

they're embarrassing.
they got booed when they showed them at nationwide saturday night :lol

i think they were trying to play off the original CBJ sweaters that had the neon stick, however, those too were awful.

aeroshady 01-12-2015 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15753538)
Seriously? I mean, I'm from Redskins country where the sports media basically forgets there's 3 other pro sports teams in the same city, so I get it, but I would've expected different from the NY media. Obviously the NHL is still trumped by everything, but I was under the impression that NY and the media there got really into the Rangers when they were doing well. Not surprised to hear the Isles are still flying under the radar though.

I remember when the Rangers won game 7 against Philly last year that a fan called into Mike Francesa's show on WFAN and asked a question about the Rangers and his response was "I don't want to talk about that. Come on, you are calling me to talk hockey?"

He then went on to talk about Melo and awful Knicks for about 45 minutes.

barbogast 01-12-2015 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15753556)
they're embarrassing.
they got booed when they showed them at nationwide saturday night :lol

i think they were trying to play off the original CBJ sweaters that had the neon stick, however, those too were awful.

Those neon stick jerseys were 1000x better than this nonsense. It's like the NHL got a group of guys together and said, let's make the ugliest sweater imaginable. And I would say they pretty much nailed it.

barbogast 01-12-2015 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15753575)
I remember when the Rangers won game 7 against Philly last year that a fan called into Mike Francesa's show on WFAN and asked a question about the Rangers and his response was "I don't want to talk about that. Come on, you are calling me to talk hockey?"

He then went on to talk about Melo and awful Knicks for about 45 minutes.

Wow....

That's a shame.

Rebecca De Mornay 01-12-2015 07:10 AM

its a double edged sword for me.
one of the things that makes hockey so great is it hasn't been ruined by the media.
it's such a pure sport where guys play for their cities and for their teammates, a lot of that is due to the fact that these guys egos haven't been pumped up by the ESPN's of the world.

aeroshady 01-12-2015 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15753620)
one of the things that makes hockey so great is it hasn't been ruined by the media.
it's such a pure sport where guys play for their cities and for their teammates, a lot of that is due to the fact that these guys egos haven't been pumped up by the ESPN's of the world.

To a degree I agree. That said, when your team is making a run at the cup, you want to here anything and everything about it because you are so excited. NY media didn't come on board at all until the Rangers forced game 7 against the Pens. Then they started to give it time in every segment for the ECF. It was not until they were in the finals that they were the lead story in NY.

To make matters worse, when we clinched the east I was in North Platte Nebraska traveling to Colorado haha. It was a war to even get the game turned on in the bar. After the game was over I was just that weird guy celebrating by my self....

barbogast 01-12-2015 07:21 AM

I know I've already brought up the Backstrom a star snub, but I'm gonna do it again.

This is (one of the many reasons) why I like this guy so much. This guy (and maybe someone can fact check me here but I'm pretty sure I'm right) has more assists than anyone except Crosby and Joe Thornton over the past 6 years or so (in fact he might have more than Crosby since Sid was hurt for a long time), he has 535 points in 536 career games, he has more freaking points than THE OTHER GUY THAT MADE IT FROM HIS OWN TEAM, is clearly a top 5-10 player in the league (even though he still isn't thought of as such), and when he was asked how he felt about being left off the ASG roster again, he says with a chuckle "eh no big deal I guess, just means I get to spend a weekend on vacation with my girlfriend and our baby".

Could he whine about it? Absolutely. Would his whining be warranted? Absolutely. But not Mr. 100% Classy All The Time.

"But I know there's a lot of good hockey players in this league and it's usually one player per team, so that's understandable."

Never once will he ever complain about the fact that he is basically the most under appreciated player in the entire league by everyone outside of DC. Well Mr. Nicklas Backstrom, I am here to complain for you.

The fact that, if we're picking one guy per team (which is really fucking stupid that every team gets a rep, deserved or not), and the chosen Capital is 8 and not 19 is everything that is wrong with the NHL.

Both guys are having good years. Backstrom is having a much better one.

Soap box off. Screw you NHL all star game voting team.

barbogast 01-12-2015 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15753620)

Great point. I do enjoy the fact that hockey is still one of the better kept sports secrets in the United States. No LeBrons in our game.

hailtopitt 01-12-2015 07:31 AM

Fleury being snubbed is much bigger than Backstrom being snubbed IMO

he would be my Vezina front runner right now

salrx95 01-12-2015 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 15753497)

I hear you but there will be some. I don't listen to much ny sports radio in recent years but once football is over and the teams are still real good near the top, there will be more coverage.

barbogast 01-12-2015 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15753714)
Fleury being snubbed is much bigger than Backstrom being snubbed IMO

he would be my Vezina front runner right now

No way.

I think it's the fact that Backstrom is a consistent snub is why I'm so irritated by it this time. He's NEVER played in one. Which is ridiculous, because he's been the best player on a pretty good Caps team (forget last year) for years now. And yet ol Hot Dog himself, Ovie's never missed an ASG.

How can the guy with the 11th most points in the league be left out of a game that requires almost 40 selections? Come on.

hailtopitt 01-12-2015 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15753756)
No way.

I think it's the fact that Backstrom is a consistent snub is why I'm so irritated by it this time. He's NEVER played in one. Which is ridiculous, because he's been the best player on a pretty good Caps team (forget last year) for years now. And yet ol Hot Dog himself, Ovie's never missed an ASG.

How can the guy with the 11th most points in the league be left out of a game that requires almost 40 selections? Come on.

Backstrom probably deserves a spot, i'm not arguing that. but:

21 Wins
.926 Save %
2.16 GAA
6 shutouts

if those aren't all-star numbers, i don't know what are

barbogast 01-12-2015 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15753770)
Backstrom probably deserves a spot, i'm not arguing that. but:

21 Wins
.926 Save %
2.16 GAA
6 shutouts

if those aren't all-star numbers, i don't know what are

Agreed. Fleury deserves a spot. But here's a little more perspective on my irritation with Backstrom being overlooked.

41gp-13g-28a-41p
43gp-11g-9a-20p
42gp-10g-21a-31p
41gp-11g-14a-25p
38gp-12g-16a-28p
37gp-16g-13a-29p
34gp-6g-12a-18p (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

The top line is Nick Backstrom's stat line so far this season. The 6 underneath are all stat lines that belong to forwards (yes, those are all forwards) who will be participating in the All Star Game.

So stupid.

hailtopitt 01-12-2015 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15753789)
Agreed. Fleury deserves a spot. But here's a little more perspective on my irritation with Backstrom being overlooked.

41gp-13g-28a-41p
43gp-11g-9a-20p
42gp-10g-21a-31p
41gp-11g-14a-25p
38gp-12g-16a-28p
37gp-16g-13a-29p
34gp-6g-12a-18p (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

The top line is Nick Backstrom's stat line so far this season. The 6 underneath are all stat lines that belong to forwards (yes, those are all forwards) who will be participating in the All Star Game.

So stupid.

yea he's been really good, no doubt about it

the NHL ASG is a joke anyway so no big deal, just doesn't make sense

daveshookme 01-12-2015 08:25 AM

But really. Can we all agree Matt Cooke is an ass?

barbogast 01-12-2015 08:28 AM

Oh absolutely, the chance that I actually watch the ASG is about 0%. I think I'm particularly annoyed because I thought this year there was absolutely no chance he would be left out again. Silly me.

The only exciting part about the weekend is the skills competition anyway.

barbogast 01-12-2015 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveshookme (Post 15753841)
But really. Can we all agree Matt Cooke is an ass?

Of course we can. What did he do this time?

hailtopitt 01-12-2015 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15753856)
Oh absolutely, the chance that I actually watch the ASG is about 0%. I think I'm particularly annoyed because I thought this year there was absolutely no chance he would be left out again. Silly me.

The only exciting part about the weekend is the skills competition anyway.

agreed :thumbsup

daveshookme 01-12-2015 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15753859)
Of course we can. What did he do this time?

http://deadspin.com/matt-cooke-cross...-fo-1678871811

barbogast 01-12-2015 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveshookme (Post 15753884)

:lol:lol:lol

What a loser. Shea Weber is such an absolute badass.

daveshookme 01-12-2015 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15753893)
:lol:lol:lol

What a loser. Shea Weber is such an absolute badass.

Definitely, but I would also hesitate to say he beat Cooke the fuck up. He got a few good throws in, but Cooke was just a little bitch and crumpled to the ice. I can't respect a man who instigates a fight for no reason and then doesn't even stand up to it.

I still don't like fighting in the league, but that's a separate story.

barbogast 01-12-2015 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveshookme (Post 15753911)
Definitely, but I would also hesitate to say he beat Cooke the fuck up. He got a few good throws in, but Cooke was just a little bitch and crumpled to the ice. I can't respect a man who instigates a fight for no reason and then doesn't even stand up to it.

I still don't like fighting in the league, but that's a separate story.

That's Matt Cooke for ya.