Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

salrx95 12-10-2014 03:48 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15714606)
Sheesh. Glad to see he's ok as well.

I agree with you, that's tough for both guys. Ballard is trying to avoid the hit and turn away. It's a natural inclination, and Ballard actually turned the correct way (if he was going to turn at all) by not presenting his numbers to Martin.

Martin comes in completely within the rules - including tucked elbows - and is within bounds to complete the check. Yes, his elbow extends when he makes the hit, but I wouldn't say it OVER extends. The problem was, Ballard's head happened to get crunched between the elbow and the glass. His head smacking against the ice like that as he fell certainly didn't help.

It definitely wasn't "dirty". Isn't Martin almost perennially a leader in hits for NYI? The guy knows how to hit. But in today's NHL, which focuses so much on head injuries, I wouldn't be surprised to see him sit for a bit. Especially considering the precedence set by Bortuzzo's suspension a week ago.

Not just the Islanders but he has led the NHL for 3 straight years and leads this year, too and rarely hits wrong.

TMoore4075 12-11-2014 05:01 AM

Wings dominate and only get a point. Reimer stole that one. Wonder if Carlyle said he just played "ok."

TMoore4075 12-11-2014 06:00 AM

Dreger last night and Bob Duff of the Windsor Star this morning have Babs close to a new deal with the Wings. What's his face in Pitt, who came up with that crazy theory of Babs getting out of his contract, will probably say there is an out clause if the Pens fire Johnston. I'm very happy with this. You can't lose him. The last couple years, especially last year, showed how good he truly was, and now you see his coaching from last year showing up this year with the young kids and getting healthy, that this team is better than people thought.

daveshookme 12-11-2014 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15715546)
Wings dominate and only get a point. Reimer stole that one. Wonder if Carlyle said he just played "ok."

Was a hell of a game though.

kev87lads 12-11-2014 09:08 AM

I'm glad I've kept up with my pledge to myself to post more often..... Oh well.

In Flyers news - I'm almost ready to go full tank mode and throw away this season. They're just not good enough. They really aren't. Maybe I'm jaded by the Sixers actual tanking or the Phillies finally realizing they need to rebuild as well. Sad times for Philly sports....

swordo84 12-11-2014 04:19 PM

Watching the Blackhawks/Bruins - its nice to watch some quality teams for a change.

Side note: Who da fuck is Scott Darling, and has he been to Neverland?

JRS1386 12-11-2014 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 15715892)
I'm glad I've kept up with my pledge to myself to post more often..... Oh well.

In Flyers news - I'm almost ready to go full tank mode and throw away this season. They're just not good enough. They really aren't. Maybe I'm jaded by the Sixers actual tanking or the Phillies finally realizing they need to rebuild as well. Sad times for Philly sports....

I say that if the Flyers were to ever tank, now is the time with Hextall as GM. Let him get as fresh a start as possible

thechad90000 12-11-2014 08:25 PM

Love beating Phoenix ever since that loss in the 2nd round a couple years ago. 5-1 right now is so nice to see.

~Crashintome89~ 12-11-2014 08:32 PM

oh look at that, the Flyers actually won a game--in regulation too!

TMoore4075 12-12-2014 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 15716500)
Watching the Blackhawks/Bruins - its nice to watch some quality teams for a change.

Maybe Wendy's kid?

TMoore4075 12-12-2014 05:04 AM

Also Matty, you see Dreger on Wednesday during the first intermission? Mentioned Yandle as a possibility for Detroit. Just thought you'd like that.

cpxc. 12-12-2014 05:42 AM

http://nesn.com/2014/12/jonathan-toe...idenberg-gifs/

great advertising placement

barbogast 12-12-2014 07:00 AM

Caps involved in another top notch game last night. Really too bad to see it end on what was frankly a dumb penalty call that, based on the way the game was being played and being called, was really a soft and disappointing call. What the hell happened to the CBJ team that lost 10 straight like last month? The team I saw last night did not resemble the team I saw three weeks ago at all.

Rebecca De Mornay 12-12-2014 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15717094)
Caps involved in another top notch game last night. Really too bad to see it end on what was frankly a dumb penalty call that, based on the way the game was being played and being called, was really a soft and disappointing call. What the hell happened to the CBJ team that lost 10 straight like last month? The team I saw last night did not resemble the team I saw three weeks ago at all.

I didn't see any of the game, just followed on my phone. Nothing worse than a bad penalty call in OT.

and the CBJ is getting healthy :lol

go back and take a look at the lineup they iced a month ago vs. last night.

barbogast 12-12-2014 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15717098)
I didn't see any of the game, just followed on my phone. Nothing worse than a bad penalty call in OT.

Yeah they sure did look healthy. They were downright impressive last night. And re the penalty in OT, by the book, it was a penalty, but it was a very physical game that the refs allowed to be physical and let lots of hooks/holds/grabs/bumps go all night. Then magically it's a penalty again with 1:57 left in OT. I mean CBJ earned the win no doubt, just kinda annoying as a fan of the other side.

Bobrovsky was UNREAL last night. It was really fun to watch.

Rebecca De Mornay 12-12-2014 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15717105)
Yeah they sure did look healthy. They were downright impressive last night. And re the penalty in OT, by the book, it was a penalty, but it was a very physical game that the refs allowed to be physical and let lots of hooks/holds/grabs/bumps go all night. Then magically it's a penalty again with 1:57 left in OT. I mean CBJ earned the win no doubt, just kinda annoying as a fan of the other side.

Bobrovsky was UNREAL last night. It was really fun to watch.

Ya Bobrovsky has been lights out the last 7 games.
He owns Ovechkin :lol

kev87lads 12-12-2014 08:00 AM

Where are all the Hawks fans melting about the 19! 19! 19! hit? Justified or not. Don't know yet. Just surprised we haven't gotten our Hawks fans perspective(s) yet.

lockman21 12-12-2014 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 15716500)

Boring story time!

Scott Darling's sister is my dental hygienist. She cleans my teeth real well. So...that's pretty cool.

But really, Darling is a Chicago boy that was signed in the offseason as a UFA. He had been bouncing around the ECHL and AHL before the Hawks threw him in net. It's really weird, Raanta has been the backup goalie for Crawford all season, but when the chances come, the Hawks are calling up Darling and putting him between the pipes. Raanta has a .942 SV% and 2.02 GAA and yet can't get any starts. I don't get it. Not complaining about Darling who has similar numbers, but I just don't understand what Raanta did to get leapfrogged in this thing.

As far as the hit on Toews, I felt like the 2 minute boarding call was sufficient. It was a penalty, but wasn't a "malicious" hit. Just unfortunate how Toews went into the boards.

bonzo48280 12-12-2014 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15717287)
Boring story time!

Scott Darling's sister is my dental hygienist. She cleans my teeth real well. So...that's pretty cool.

But really, Darling is a Chicago boy that was signed in the offseason as a UFA. He had been bouncing around the ECHL and AHL before the Hawks threw him in net. It's really weird, Raanta has been the backup goalie for Crawford all season, but when the chances come, the Hawks are calling up Darling and putting him between the pipes. Raanta has a .942 SV% and 2.02 GAA and yet can't get any starts. I don't get it. Not complaining about Darling who has similar numbers, but I just don't understand what Raanta did to get leapfrogged in this thing.

As far as the hit on Toews, I felt like the 2 minute boarding call was sufficient. It was a penalty, but wasn't a "malicious" hit. Just unfortunate how Toews went into the boards.

yepppppppppps

TMoore4075 12-12-2014 09:47 AM

‏@TGfireandice
Damien Brunner's contract with the Devils has been been mutually terminated after he cleared unconditional waivers today.

uuuuuhhhhh

Roose13 12-12-2014 10:15 AM

Hooray, Flyers won last night!

lockman21 12-12-2014 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15717383)
‏@TGfireandice
Damien Brunner's contract with the Devils has been been mutually terminated after he cleared unconditional waivers today.

uuuuuhhhhh

Well...KHL?

TMoore4075 12-12-2014 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15717474)
Well...KHL?

Was reading maybe back to the Swiss League. That's where he broke out so... Still amazing though.

lockman21 12-12-2014 11:07 AM

Yup, he already signed in Switzerland. Crazy. HC Lugano.

jrkarger 12-12-2014 01:08 PM

Mark Madden just said on the radio that Crosby is out for the next two games and is blaming mumps. WTF

EDIT: Now Madden reporting Pens saying Sid does NOT have mumps and is being held out as a "precaution".

I don't know. Looks like mumps. Gross.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...mumps/related/

dmbetc 12-12-2014 01:29 PM

This mumps outbreak in the NHL is pretty crazy...

lockman21 12-12-2014 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15717098)

They need to keep stringing together these wins. 5 in a row is good, but they still have a LOT of work in front of them.

fonzz41 12-12-2014 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmoore4075 (Post 15716940)
also matty, you see dreger on wednesday during the first intermission? Mentioned yandle as a possibility for detroit. Just thought you'd like that.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo o!!!!!!!!

~Crashintome89~ 12-12-2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15717287)
Boring story time!

My guess is that the hawks will try and flip Raanta for some draft picks. What's his contract situation?

TMoore4075 12-12-2014 05:11 PM

I mean wtf? How does this team struggle against the Panthers every damn game.