Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

fonzz41 08-28-2014 08:57 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15567704)
I started to think last night, maybe it's the NHL trying to drive up the interest and then in a way drive up the expansion price. I just don't see 4 happening. It doesn't make sense on a # of levels. Obviously the talent to go around is one. Another is you've got 2 franchises that are very big question marks in FLA and AZ. Then of course there's the whole unbalanced conferences and divisions. 32 gets you to 16/16 and 4 of 8. Seattle and Quebec are gonna happen in some form or another, I'm confident of that. So lets say those are your two expansion teams but that still leaves FLA and AZ. Where do they go if needed?

In a perfect world (of mine), send FLA to Quebec and ARZ to Seattle. To even out the conferences, just send CBJ or DET back over (red rover, red rover, send Red Wings right over). I know the conference-to-conference juggling would suck for that team, but I'm really not on board with further expansion.

fonzz41 08-28-2014 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15566932)
:lol That was my thought. Why stop at 34? Let's just go all out and give every state 1 team. 50 teams, 25 per conference. 32 team playoffs.

Let's make this thing year round. Really drive up that revenue.

:lol

Chicago might be a tough roster for you (or anyone) to crack. Maybe come over and play on the SLC team* with me? With the aforementioned dilution of talent, I bet you and I could be defensive partners on the top pairing. It'll be like Yandle and Foote.

*Salt Lake Mormons
Utah Pioneers
Salt Lake Rootbeers
Salt Lake Brighams
Salt Lake Temples
Salt Lake Minivans

I'm just spit balling here...

TMoore4075 08-28-2014 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15568024)
In a perfect world (of mine), send FLA to Quebec and ARZ to Seattle. To even out the conferences, just send CBJ or DET back over (red rover, red rover, send Red Wings right over). I know the conference-to-conference juggling would suck for that team, but I'm really not on board with further expansion.

If they went with the original schedule and playoff proposal when they first introduced realignments back in I think December 2011, where you played teams in the other 3 "conferences" they called them then but divisions, twice per year (once at home, once on the road) and a straight divisional playoff, I'd be ok with the Wings in the West. I was ok with the 4 conference idea back then because of this. It cut down their regular season travel and their playoff games, the furthest they'd travel was Winnipeg or Dallas so you are looking at like 830 start times for the most part. Problem is, there will be the stink that there is now, about uneven divisions, so they'll want wild cards. And that eliminates one of my biggest complaints about the old system, 10:30pm EDT playoff starts. So your perfect Avs fan world is stupid. lol Now if we expand to QC and Seattle and forced to moved Detroit back, then ok. We'll have 4 divisions of 8 and can do the divisional playoffs. That's my as close to perfect world. However, I have a feeling, with some of the stories out there, that Vegas might happen.

lockman21 08-28-2014 11:56 AM

Dan Patrick saying he has a source inside the NHL financial department and the Vegas thing is a done deal. Then expand one more team (Toronto/Kansas City?) and move Carolina and Arizona to Seattle and Quebec.

That's the plan, apparently.

TMoore4075 08-28-2014 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15568354)
Dan Patrick saying he has a source inside the NHL financial department and the Vegas thing is a done deal. Then expand one more team (Toronto/Kansas City?) and move Carolina and Arizona to Seattle and Quebec.

That's the plan, apparently.

I have a hard time excepting the Carolina part of it. Karmonos has been a great owner and he moved them there. I just don't see it when you have Florida trying to basically get out of their lease. Here's my thought on it, which I sadly feel could happen. Expand to Vegas and Quebec, but Florida moves to Kansas City to offset the added team in the East and the Yotes moves to Seattle when they get an arena. Quebec will get you HUGE $$$ with expansion fees plus an arena will be ready next year. Vegas one will also be ready in the somewhat near future. Florida moves to KC, since there is an arena there, and the Yotes stay put until Seattle happens. It could also be expand KC and move the Panthers to Quebec, but like I said bigger money from expansion in Quebec than Kansas.

barbogast 08-28-2014 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 15567747)
A second team in Toronto would be even more of a red headed step child than the Mets and Jets combined. Bad idea, IMO. I don't like the Vegas idea either because of the gambling. It just feels uncomfortable.

Plus why the hell would you drop another team into the middle of the desert?

rickyh24 08-28-2014 12:51 PM

Vegas is such a bad idea and not because of the gambling. No one is going to support a franchise in a city that lives off tourists.

dmbetc 08-28-2014 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15568421)
Plus why the hell would you drop another team into the middle of the desert?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 15568434)
Vegas is such a bad idea and not because of the gambling. No one is going to support a franchise in a city that lives off tourists.

The gambling doesn't bother me or seems like it would matter. The above reasons are my concern.

TMoore4075 08-28-2014 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 15568434)

This. NFL MIGHT work, because like I said the other day, it's one day a week. NHL and NBA could be 3-4 home games in a week. Gonna get 17-20k there regularly? No way. Maybe they know something we don't based off the market reserach that you would have to do right? Right????

dmbetc 08-28-2014 12:54 PM

Name ideas??

The Vegas Slots

lockman21 08-28-2014 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15568030)
:lol

Chicago might be a tough roster for you (or anyone) to crack. Maybe come over and play on the SLC team* with me? With the aforementioned dilution of talent, I bet you and I could be defensive partners on the top pairing. It'll be like Yandle and Foote.

*Salt Lake Mormons
Utah Pioneers
Salt Lake Rootbeers
Salt Lake Brighams
Salt Lake Temples
Salt Lake Minivans

I'm just spit balling here...

Rootbeers would be perfect. We already would have a mascot:

http://www.geocities.ws/juliedolan2001/baseketball.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-h1V0MbzgEj...-0303-4020.jpg

~Crashintome89~ 08-29-2014 09:42 AM

http://youtu.be/TD2puXw0X8Y?t=7m39s

Well, well....look whose there in the background.

dmbetc 08-29-2014 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15569490)

Nothing like the first time!

waterboy100 08-29-2014 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15569789)

nothing like partying with the cup!

waterboy100 08-29-2014 10:48 PM

I will have the fantasy league up and running in a week or so. I am dealing with some work stuff this week and some personal matters this weekend.

BotheLaneFan 08-29-2014 11:17 PM

Vegas is a great pick!

Vegas Payback, do it!

TMoore4075 08-30-2014 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15569490)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15569789)

I saw this a while back and happened to turn it on right at this part and said hey!

~Crashintome89~ 08-30-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterboy100 (Post 15570203)
I will have the fantasy league up and running in a week or so. I am dealing with some work stuff this week and some personal matters this weekend.

What personal matters? Your team has won the Cup twice in three years. You shouldn't have any personal matters.

Take your time. We have a few weeks before the season starts anyway.

waterboy100 08-30-2014 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~crashintome89~ (Post 15570508)
what personal matters? Your team has won the cup twice in three years. You shouldn't have any personal matters.

Take your time. We have a few weeks before the season starts anyway.

yeah they have!

fonzz41 08-30-2014 11:31 PM

The officiating at the Junior Goodwill Games was some of the worst I've ever seen. How does Julie The Cat get a Game Misconduct for knocking over a couple dudes before the whistle, then Sanderson only get a Minor for two-handing Banks's wrist? What a joke.

Also, I don't think the Ducks/Team USA even consider defense part of the game plan.

fonzz41 08-30-2014 11:46 PM

Also, Russ Tyler being in Goldberg's pads has to be the most dramatic plot reveal since we found out Vader was Luke's father.

fonzz41 08-30-2014 11:47 PM

Also, how Goldberg managed to hang on to the starting job is beyond me. That guy is terrible.

TMoore4075 08-31-2014 08:30 AM

Matty was bored last night I see.

~Crashintome89~ 08-31-2014 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15571262)
Matty got drunk for the first time ever last night I see.

Fixed for accuracy.

fonzz41 08-31-2014 08:27 PM

Nope, just needed something to watch while I ironed my shirts for the week.

#dadlife

And of course, instead of watching something of substance on Netflix, I pick D2.

barbogast 09-01-2014 04:07 PM

Alright so DMB was fun and all this summer, but now I'm fully ready for HOCKEY

Come back to me Capitals. Let me down again please!

barbogast 09-01-2014 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15571284)
Fixed for accuracy.

:lol :lol

barbogast 09-01-2014 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15571131)
The officiating at the Junior Goodwill Games was some of the worst I've ever seen. How does Julie The Cat get a Game Misconduct for knocking over a couple dudes before the whistle, then Sanderson only get a Minor for two-handing Banks's wrist? What a joke.

Also, I don't think the Ducks/Team USA even consider defense part of the game plan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15571134)
Also, Russ Tyler being in Goldberg's pads has to be the most dramatic plot reveal since we found out Vader was Luke's father.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15571135)
Also, how Goldberg managed to hang on to the starting job is beyond me. That guy is terrible.

Truly fantastic string of posts. I have had all of these same concerns in the past as well

lockman21 09-01-2014 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15571134)

Also, how Wolf Stansson managed to not see a defenseman change from his pads into goalie gear during a timeout is beyond me. Wolf should have lost his job immediately.

Also, draw up a better game plan. That forecheck is pathetic. Russ had time to skate up with the puck, take off his mask, get a new stick, and fire a knuckle puck. PUT SOME PRESSURE ON THE PUCK!

dmbetc 09-01-2014 06:06 PM

The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 15573019)
Alright so DMB was fun and all this summer, but now I'm fully ready for HOCKEY

Come back to me Capitals. Let me down again please!

I finally get DMB this weekend.. west coast sucks in that regard!