Antsmarching.org Forums

Antsmarching.org Forums (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs (http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=358035)

6ixtynin9 06-16-2022 10:00 AM

Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
...with Stephen Harris
This third and final installment of Matt Norlander's Lillywhite Sessions/Busted Stuff retrospective hones in on DMBís fifth official studio set.

Really The Lillywhite Sessions Part II, imo; Equally great, if only more beneficial (than Part II's tLWS, w Sillywhite)? Norlander's essential 3 Part series is probably the closest we'll get to Authorized'ish Biography on the band away from the stadiums & touring, circa summer 1999 - spring 2002.

Quote:

As youíll hear Harris explain, the atmosphere and intra-band tensions that always dictated The Lillywhite Sessions, in fact, was more of the reality through some of the making of Busted Stuff.
ref: DMB on NBC - 2002 Winter Olympic Games. February 9, 2002. Salt Lake City, UT. c/o ChesterCopperpot
fyi: Sound Checked - JTR Last played: 08/28/2001 [Salt Lake City, UT]; next play: 04/29/2006 [New Orleans Jazz Festival]

previous:
Part I (epi. 23), Part II (epi. 24) apple podcasts

Cptn. Monkeyman 06-16-2022 12:48 PM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
This was an amazing podcast. My favorite of Norlanderís DMB related interviews. So much to digest.

Cptn. Monkeyman 06-16-2022 12:51 PM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
I’m glad Norlander asked about the unreleased tracks as well as a possible anniversary release. For Remember Two Things and Under the Table, we got some studio bonus tracks (Typical, Pay for What You Get, Granny, etc.)

I hope they do the same for Busted Stuff and include JTR, Sweet Up & Down and Monkey Man.

daveindyman 06-16-2022 01:13 PM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
Probably my favorite of the 3 Norlander recent pods.

Cptn. Monkeyman 06-16-2022 10:12 PM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
I wonder if they'll actually do anything with that footage Steve Harris mentioned form 97/98

Cptn. Monkeyman 06-17-2022 01:36 PM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
Iím surprised this thread isnít popping off. Thereís a lot to discuss here folks!

TheLastStop123 06-17-2022 01:42 PM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
tidbits:

1. carter almost left the band during busted stuff production, and it was so close that steve didn't know if they'd be able to finish the album

2. matt norlander and steve both agree that management has lost the original stems for BTCS, and that an vinyl re-release/master is up in the air

deadendstreet 06-17-2022 02:24 PM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 (Post 18212625)
tidbits:

1. carter almost left the band during busted stuff production, and it was so close that steve didn't know if they'd be able to finish the album

2. matt norlander and steve both agree that management has lost the original stems for BTCS, and that an vinyl re-release/master is up in the air

DMB is full of drama queens. No wonder it takes so long to put out an album. I get any time someone is successful, they get an ego, but goddamn, every single album there's this b.s. And this one was basically just recording songs that were already written.

Cptn. Monkeyman 06-17-2022 02:45 PM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
I think more drama will be revealed next year when they chat again for Some Devilís 20th. I donít think itís a coincidence that Dave did a solo project after all the Everyday/Busted Stuff band drama

Moose Thompson 06-17-2022 03:05 PM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastStop123 (Post 18212625)
tidbits:

1. carter almost left the band during busted stuff production, and it was so close that steve didn't know if they'd be able to finish the album

2. matt norlander and steve both agree that management has lost the original stems for BTCS, and that an vinyl re-release/master is up in the air

Norlander also said that he had reason to believe theyíve subsequently been found but he has to save that info for the Carter article.

Interesting about the BTCS retrospective video. I think Steve tipped his hand on whoís making the video.
-friend of the band
-involved in photography
-the video features footage from Brazil

Ladies and gents, Rodrigo is working on a retrospective video that includes Machead. I feel more confident than ever we have a shot at hearing it for the 25th anniversary.

Pod was great, I definitely enjoyed this one the most of the three.

mposey34 06-17-2022 04:46 PM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cptn. Monkeyman (Post 18211885)
This was an amazing podcast. My favorite of Norlanderís DMB related interviews. So much to digest.

I agree, it's my favorite of the 3-part series for sure

djamieb 06-17-2022 11:31 PM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
Terrific episode!! Very enlightening!

Matt Norlander, if you're reading this, thank you so much for doing these. Such a great series of interviews about those albums, and it was fascinating to hear these new perspectives all these years later after the original recording sessions. I appreciate the time and effort that went into coordinating, recording, and editing these. Thanks, mate! :thumbsup

RSSR 06-17-2022 11:47 PM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
I didn’t listen to this podcast. They temporarily misplaced the BTCS master tape?

Ladies and gentlemen, I guess that explains that. I don’t ever remember anyone guessing that or a reliable source making a vague hint about that.

RSSR 06-17-2022 11:49 PM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
Everyone thought it was management being lazy, or incompetent handling the vinyl anniversary rerelease, unless you want to say they were incompetent in temporarily losing the tape.

RSSR 06-17-2022 11:50 PM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
Makes me wonder what else was lost that could have made for a great LT selection.

Sabres914 06-18-2022 12:15 AM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 18213091)
Makes me wonder what else was lost that could have made for a great LT selection.

I don't even want to think about it!

groogrux27 06-18-2022 01:47 AM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 18213091)
Makes me wonder what else was lost that could have made for a great LT selection.


Which show are you alluding to?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NewAgedNerd 06-18-2022 08:57 AM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
This pod really shed a lot of light Imo into the bands decision making process. I feel like us fans spend a lot of time thinking about certain decisions (leaving off JTR and Monkey Man, Changing BEF, cutting lyrics out of KKJ) that the Dave/the band never thought twice about.

ericvol 06-18-2022 08:58 AM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by djamieb (Post 18213083)
Terrific episode!! Very enlightening!

Matt Norlander, if you're reading this, thank you so much for doing these. Such a great series of interviews about those albums, and it was fascinating to hear these new perspectives all these years later after the original recording sessions. I appreciate the time and effort that went into coordinating, recording, and editing these. Thanks, mate! :thumbsup

Agreed Norlander is such an awesome dude. Wish I could meet him at a show someday! Guster has always been my second favorite band to DMB and Iím obsessed with college basketball! Feel like weíd be best friends haha!

yankeesguy86 06-18-2022 09:14 AM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadendstreet (Post 18212645)
DMB is full of drama queens. No wonder it takes so long to put out an album. I get any time someone is successful, they get an ego, but goddamn, every single album there's this b.s. And this one was basically just recording songs that were already written.

I had this thought too, haha.

This should have been the easiest session ever (and Harris said after the Carter scare, it basically was smooth). It makes me wonder why this band full of unbelievable musicians has such a weird relationship with studio recording. This album in particular, after two years of road-testing it . . . just hit record and play!

Also, the "not feeling JTR, so we didn't include it" . . . I get it somewhat, because there is an intangible thing about when we do or don't enjoy a particular song. Or, we like it but maybe get tired of it. It's just hard for me to wrap my head around THAT song not making the cut.

I remember the first listen, and thinking "well, maybe JTR or SUAD was re-worked into You Never Know" (wasn't on the boards enough to know it had debuted live). 15 year old me was bummed, because those were two of my favorites off LWS. In fairness, SUAD is fairly by-the-book "fun" DMB song, but it was tonally SO different from the other tracks.

I love how Harris says Raven is maybe his favorite track on the album. I think it and Grey Street are perfect studio versions of those songs. They benefit from the minimalist production and a bit of editing from their LWS versions. Boyd and Roi are SO good on Raven. To this day, its liberation at St Louis 06 is one of my favorite live moments.

6ixtynin9 06-19-2022 05:47 PM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 18213089)
I didnít listen to this podcast. They temporarily misplaced the BTCS master tape?

Ladies and gentlemen, I guess that explains that. I donít ever remember anyone guessing that or a reliable source making a vague hint about that.

Is there anyway Bruce Flohr might be blamed for this too .. For the sake of consistency?

6ixtynin9 06-19-2022 06:05 PM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose Thompson (Post 18212672)

Ladies and gents, Rodrigo is working on a retrospective video that includes Machead. I feel more confident than ever we have a shot at hearing it for the 25th anniversary.

I absolutely thought Rodrigo Simas/DMBrasil when listening (so much so, I'm certain Harris would've asked Norlander to omit that region-spec bit, upon consideration, if given the opportunity)

maxatlof 06-20-2022 07:33 AM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RSSR (Post 18213089)
I didn’t listen to this podcast. They temporarily misplaced the BTCS master tape?

Ladies and gentlemen, I guess that explains that. I don’t ever remember anyone guessing that or a reliable source making a vague hint about that.

Aren't there several "insiders" in that BTCS Anniversary thread that confirmed SEVERAL TIMES this release was happening, was in actual production, ect?? If the tapes were lost there's no way this project could even get off the ground, right? So were those insiders just completely talking out of their asses for attention? I'm so confused lol.

dmbwadeo 06-20-2022 07:53 AM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by maxatlof (Post 18214112)
Aren't there several "insiders" in that BTCS Anniversary thread that confirmed SEVERAL TIMES this release was happening, was in actual production, ect?? If the tapes were lost there's no way this project could even get off the ground, right? So were those insiders just completely talking out of their asses for attention? I'm so confused lol.


I think this comes from the fact that UTTAD, Crash and even R2T had 20th anniversary vinyl releases. Then comes BTCS 20th and everyone (on here anyway) hotly anticipated the vinyl re-release of these sessions with some bonus stuff. That anniversary comes and goes and there isn't even a mention of it sparking people to speculate that the reason there wasn't is the stems were lost. Maybe they were and in the 4+ years since they have located them.

Cptn. Monkeyman 06-20-2022 09:47 AM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
I think we may find out more later this summer from the article with Carter

bmt322 06-20-2022 09:47 AM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeesguy86 (Post 18213172)

I love how Harris says Raven is maybe his favorite track on the album. I think it and Grey Street are perfect studio versions of those songs. They benefit from the minimalist production and a bit of editing from their LWS versions. Boyd and Roi are SO good on Raven. To this day, its liberation at St Louis 06 is one of my favorite live moments.

The DMB Drive-In for this show is still up on YouTube. I went back and watched Raven; so good. I wish the solo part at the end with LeRoi and Rashawn was a bit longer.

bmt322 06-20-2022 09:06 PM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
Finished the podcast this afternoon. The part that stuck out to me was the Ferrari story. Fucking heartbreaking.

maxatlof 06-21-2022 01:51 AM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bmt322 (Post 18214759)
Finished the podcast this afternoon. The part that stuck out to me was the Ferrari story. Fucking heartbreaking.

Yeah man, really sad wasn't it?

crounsa810 06-21-2022 02:29 AM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
It’s interesting that some of the more diverse years in terms of set lists and bust outs were years around when the band was in trouble or debating whether to keep going/what the future was for them all (2002, 2003, 2006, 2010, 2016, probably 2013 considering how they changed up to 2 sets and had a failed album development process)

ToySoldier#34 06-28-2022 08:24 PM

Re: Podcast: DMB's Busted Stuff 20 years later (Part 3) - Records & Riffs
 
Just finished this podcast, great episode, Norlander is top tier


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the poster. The rest is owned by antsmarching.org.