Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   nDMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Peloton bike (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=346018)

Noles20 12-07-2017 11:01 AM

Peloton bike

Anyone have one? Curious if it is as good as advertised. It gets great reviews but I would love to hear personal experiences. I'm 44 and used to be in great shape prior to kids, 3 jobs etc. I need something that is convenient and easy to stick with. I know it is expensive but if I stay with it, it would be money well spent. Thanks in advance.

mr.MikeD 12-07-2017 11:49 AM

Re: Peloton bike

I've never used one, but ride an actual bike quite bit. I don't know the cost of this bike but if you already have a road bike you could get a trainer and there are tons of good videos on youtube for workouts - GCN's channel has a bunch that are pretty good. They are road bike training specific though, so maybe not really "fun". The thing I struggle with for any kind of home exercise is motivation to keep it a habit. I've had better luck going to spin classes than the home trainer route. Though maybe using the social media/work out tracking function of the newer ones might be better.
So... basically i answered a bunch of other questions, but not the one that you actually asked.

Rodey 12-07-2017 11:53 AM

Are you looking at getting into cycling during the non-winter months? If so, I'd honestly suggest you just buy a road bike, indoor trainer and get a subscription to Zwift.

You may end up paying more upfront, but you'll get year-round use. Riding on indoor trainers sucks the soul out of you, so you might as well get a bike to take out during the nice months.

mr.MikeD 12-07-2017 12:05 PM

There’s always rollers to make it exciting...
https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/...-roller-games/

cry_minarets458 12-07-2017 12:06 PM

calling redsox14

Noles20 12-07-2017 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodey (Post 16951820)
Are you looking at getting into cycling during the non-winter months? If so, I'd honestly suggest you just buy a road bike, indoor trainer and get a subscription to Zwift.

You may end up paying more upfront, but you'll get year-round use. Riding on indoor trainers sucks the soul out of you, so you might as well get a bike to take out during the nice months.

I'm just trying to get into better shape. This seems like something I might be able to stick with because of the convenience and the technology involved.

CrashTheStone41 12-07-2017 06:41 PM

Rodey what is Zwift?

daveshookme 12-07-2017 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrashTheStone41 (Post 16952178)
Rodey what is Zwift?

google....?

CrashTheStone41 12-07-2017 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveshookme (Post 16952182)
google....?

No thanks. I want to hear it from him. He's my friend and I would like to hear an explanation and opinion.

Thanks for making me aware of the world's largest website that I do work for on a daily basis, though. You are a great friend too.

JRS1386 12-07-2017 06:44 PM

Google rebranded???

daveshookme 12-07-2017 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrashTheStone41 (Post 16952187)
No thanks. I want to hear it from him. He's my friend and I would like to hear an explanation and opinion.

Thanks for making me aware of the world's largest website that I do work for on a daily basis, though. You are a great friend too.

:hug :hug

daveshookme 12-07-2017 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRS1386 (Post 16952188)
Google rebranded???

Technically, I guess yes. It's Alphabet now. :rolleyes

Rodey 12-07-2017 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noles20 (Post 16952175)
I'm just trying to get into better shape. This seems like something I might be able to stick with because of the convenience and the technology involved.

I think it'd be more worthwhile to get a bike and smart trainer. You can get a pretty solid bike for less than what it'll cost you for the Peloton bike and then you can ride it during the non-winter months.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrashTheStone41 (Post 16952178)
Rodey what is Zwift?

It's like an online multiplayer training world. You put your bike on a smart trainer (or use ANT+ sensors on a classic trainer) and your guy moves on the screen. It's become huge. With a smart trainer, your resistance will adjust based on terrain. If there's a hill, it'll be harder to pedal, etc.

CrashTheStone41 12-07-2017 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodey (Post 16952212)
I think it'd be more worthwhile to get a bike and smart trainer. You can get a pretty solid bike for less than what it'll cost you for the Peloton bike and then you can ride it during the non-winter months.

It's like an online multiplayer training world. You put your bike on a smart trainer (or use ANT+ sensors on a classic trainer) and your guy moves on the screen. It's become huge. With a smart trainer, your resistance will adjust based on terrain. If there's a hill, it'll be harder to pedal, etc.

I use my Giant Escape? Have you done this? Is it something that I can do in my house / garage during winter?

Rodey 12-07-2017 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrashTheStone41 (Post 16952217)
I use my Giant Escape? Have you done this? Is it something that I can do in my house / garage during winter?

You'd have to buy an indoor trainer.

Noles20 12-08-2017 07:00 AM

So anyone actually have one? Or know someone who does?

TimHonks 12-08-2017 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noles20 (Post 16952582)
So anyone actually have one? Or know someone who does?

I'm considering getting one as well and hoping someone can chime in. Are there ongoing monthly fees associated with the classes? That's the vibe I got when I looked into it and that would annoy me.

MDPrompter 12-08-2017 07:05 AM

Yes you need subscription with the bike

AJF_41 12-08-2017 07:18 AM

Rebecca De Mornay has one.

Rodey 12-08-2017 08:07 AM

Not to be that guy, but don't get why anyone would pay $2000 for one of these when you can get a decent road bike and indoor trainer (which accomplishes the same thing) for equal or lesser value and not lose any of the experience.

TimHonks 12-08-2017 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodey (Post 16952663)
Not to be that guy, but don't get why anyone would pay $2000 for one of these when you can get a decent road bike and indoor trainer (which accomplishes the same thing) for equal or lesser value and not lose any of the experience.

I'm not fully educated on the different options, but I have to imagine you would be losing some of the experience. I like the idea of having this in my basement so that I can go take an hour "class" whenever I want. It seems like there are a bunch of different options and motivating tactics built into it.

My main complaint, which I mentioned earlier, would be that I'd want this to replace my gym membership in the winter and paying a monthly fee for the extra perks seems like overkill. It's already expensive, those should just come with the purchase.

Rodey 12-08-2017 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimHonks (Post 16952676)
I'm not fully educated on the different options, but I have to imagine you would be losing some of the experience. I like the idea of having this in my basement so that I can go take an hour "class" whenever I want. It seems like there are a bunch of different options and motivating tactics built into it.

My main complaint, which I mentioned earlier, would be that I'd want this to replace my gym membership in the winter and paying a monthly fee for the extra perks seems like overkill. It's already expensive, those should just come with the purchase.

I believe Peloton started off as an app (and still is one) that you can use on any bike/stationary bike and then they just manufactured a bike and started charging a crazy amount of money.

If you're set on something like Peloton, I would just get a cheaper stationary bike or solid road bike and download the app and pay for the subscription that way.

Noles20 12-08-2017 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodey (Post 16952663)

I'm not so certain that it has the same experience. Plus the Peloton is one purchase, not several purchases. While it may be cheaper, there are also cons that go along with going that route. But that's why I'm asking, to get info about it. While money is a factor, it's not the main factor in my decision. I don't see very many of these for sale so I am guessing that people who have them tend to hold on to them. I don't want to buy a pool table, if you know what I mean.

Noles20 12-08-2017 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodey (Post 16952702)
I believe Peloton started off as an app (and still is one) that you can use on any bike/stationary bike and then they just manufactured a bike and started charging a crazy amount of money.

If you're set on something like Peloton, I would just get a cheaper stationary bike or solid road bike and download the app and pay for the subscription that way.

But that does not have the interaction between the app and the bike. Correct?

Rodey 12-08-2017 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noles20 (Post 16952707)
I'm not so certain that it has the same experience. Plus the Peloton is one purchase, not several purchases. While it may be cheaper, there are also cons that go along with going that route. But that's why I'm asking, to get info about it. While money is a factor, it's not the main factor in my decision. I don't see very many of these for sale so I am guessing that people who have them tend to hold on to them. I don't want to buy a pool table, if you know what I mean.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noles20 (Post 16952709)
But that does not have the interaction between the app and the bike. Correct?

What do you mean the same interaction? The Peloton bike isn't interacting with anything. It's literally just a spin bike with a screen on it from my understanding.

mr.MikeD 12-08-2017 09:12 AM

For what it’s worth, if I’m riding indoors I actually prefer the feel of a stationary bike (a good one anyway) over my bike on a trainer. Feels more stable or something, which seems a bit weird since a real bike obviously less stable in the real world and I much prefer that. And there is the element of bike maintenance than still needs to done when riding on a trainer, though much reduced compared to the outdoors.

Rodey 12-08-2017 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.MikeD (Post 16952729)
For what it’s worth, if I’m riding indoors I actually prefer the feel of a stationary bike (a good one anyway) over my bike on a trainer. Feels more stable or something, which seems a bit weird since a real bike obviously less stable in the real world and I much prefer that. And there is the element of bike maintenance than still needs to done when riding on a trainer, though much reduced compared to the outdoors.

Depends what kind of trainer you have. Wheel-off trainers are incredible. That said I would almost always choose my bike on a trainer than a stationary bike.

mr.MikeD 12-08-2017 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodey (Post 16952739)
Depends what kind of trainer you have. Wheel-off trainers are incredible. That said I would almost always choose my bike on a trainer than a stationary bike.

I’ve never actually tried a wheel off trainer, they seem pretty cool. I could use google, but how does it work? Does the trainer have its own cogset? Then you need to adjust your derailleur for it? Need to use the same gear range as your bike so that the chain length is right?

Rodey 12-08-2017 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.MikeD (Post 16952743)
I’ve never actually tried a wheel off trainer, they seem pretty cool. I could use google, but how does it work? Does the trainer have its own cogset? Then you need to adjust your derailleur for it? Need to use the same gear range as your bike so that the chain length is right?

They're more expensive, but they give a better feel. I've only tried them out.

But yeah, it comes with it's own cassette. I think most come with like an 11x26, which should be good for pretty much everyone. Then you just take your wheel off and mount your bike.

Rodey 12-08-2017 09:29 AM

OP, I'm sure the Peloton works well if you want to spend that much money on something that is always going to sit in your house. If you have absolutely no interest in ever hopping on a bike and going for rides outdoors, then it probably fits your needs.

That said if you think you'll develop in interest in cycling, I would highly suggest going a different route.