Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

bradshaw06 11-25-2013 07:07 PM

Re: The NHL 2013-14 Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14941375)
Oh yeah, I think it'd be silly to ignore him, just like I think Leddy is being watched as well...but I just don't know who he (or Leddy) replaces yet.

Locks - Suter, Yandle, Paul Martin, Jack Johnson, McDonagh, Shattenkirk

Very Probable - Orpik, Justin Faulk

Probably still ahead of Krug and Leddy - Dustin Byfuglien, Cam Fowler, Erik Johnson

There are just so many guys. Don't get me wrong, I love Krug's game, I just think he needs some more "seasoning" before he sees the ice in the Olympics.

interestingly, while Martin has been the pens best d-man this year, Orpik has probably been the worst.

lockman21 11-25-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradshaw06 (Post 14941386)
interestingly, while Martin has been the pens best d-man this year, Orpik has probably been the worst.

:lol Yeah, that's what I've been reading/seeing. 6 months ago I would have called Orpik a "lock", especially considering the coach, but he's now not quite a lock.

~Crashintome89~ 11-25-2013 07:24 PM

I'm thinking Faulk gets in over Orpik. I got Buff as a dark horse, he's doubtful because of the rink size.

Bron Yr Aur 11-25-2013 07:24 PM

Toews' SH tonight....so nasty.

lockman21 11-25-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 14941420)
I'm thinking Faulk gets in over Orpik. I got Buff as a dark horse, he's doubtful because of the rink size.

I think USA brings 8 defenseman, so I think Orpik and Faulk make the squad, but yeah, big boy Buff probably won't make it.

aeroshady 11-25-2013 07:32 PM

Sometimes I think the Rangers should rebuild again. This team is capable of being competitive, but is never going to win a cup. Really thought we would have a chance to win one, but I think two years ago was our chance.

5-0 to a Stamkosless Lightning. Enough said.

mr.MikeD 11-25-2013 07:42 PM

Bryz! First save as an oiler

rustysurf83 11-25-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 14941432)
Sometimes I think the Rangers should rebuild again. This team is capable of being competitive, but is never going to win a cup. Really thought we would have a chance to win one, but I think two years ago was our chance.

In the Rangers defense, it's pretty obvious that no other team is capable of winning a cup while the Blackhawks are around. Might as well put forth the effort to fight over being #2.

HallowBillies7 11-25-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.MikeD (Post 14941448)
Bryz! First save as an oiler

Humongous big

bonzo48280 11-25-2013 09:02 PM

Hawks are scoring 4.5 goals per game over the last month

lockman21 11-25-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 14941651)
Hawks are scoring 4.5 goals per game over the last month

But Q sucks right?

bonzo48280 11-25-2013 09:24 PM

I'm sure it has nothing to do with Pirri now being on the 2nd line over the last month and Handzus being injured.

lockman21 11-25-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 14941685)
I'm sure it has nothing to do with Pirri now being on the 2nd line over the last month and Handzus being injured.

:lol ....and who put him there? Jesus? Toews? Oh, right, Q did.

He was going to move there eventually anyway, Handzeus's injury just expedited it.

Doubting Q is nothing but moronic at this point.

fonzz41 11-25-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14941375)
Oh yeah, I think it'd be silly to ignore him, just like I think Leddy is being watched as well...but I just don't know who he (or Leddy) replaces yet.

Locks - Suter, Yandle, Paul Martin, Jack Johnson, McDonagh, Shattenkirk

Very Probable - Orpik, Justin Faulk

Probably still ahead of Krug and Leddy - Dustin Byfuglien, Cam Fowler, Erik Johnson

There are just so many guys. Don't get me wrong, I love Krug's game, I just think he needs some more "seasoning" before he sees the ice in the Olympics.

I agree with almost all of this... I've got E. Johnson as a lock.

bonzo48280 11-25-2013 11:49 PM

It took Handzus getting hurt for Pirri to even be called up from Rockford. It took DAN CARCILLO getting hurt on the SECOND LINE for Brandon Saad to not be scratched.

He's a good coach, but he is hardly without flaws; hardly.

bonzo48280 11-25-2013 11:54 PM

and also the Hawks are going killing it, but things like playing Crawford 15 games in a row are really going to come back and kick the Hawks in the ass come April especially if he makes the Olympic team (hint: he won't)

lockman21 11-26-2013 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 14941779)
I agree with almost all of this... I've got E. Johnson as a lock.

Well, he was a funny one. I didn't know what to do with him. If I were GM, I would take him over Orpik...but I was factoring in who is making these decisions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 14942024)
It took Handzus getting hurt for Pirri to even be called up from Rockford. It took DAN CARCILLO getting hurt on the SECOND LINE for Brandon Saad to not be scratched.

He's a good coach, but he is hardly without flaws; hardly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonzo48280 (Post 14942036)
and also the Hawks are going killing it, but things like playing Crawford 15 games in a row are really going to come back and kick the Hawks in the ass come April especially if he makes the Olympic team (hint: he won't)

1) You realize Q doesn't bring people up from Rockford right? That's Bowman.

2) That's a skewed way of saying how it happened. Pirri was hurt until the very last preseason game. He needed time in Rockford to get his feet back. Starting him in the NHL right away would have been the wrong move for both the team and Pirri. He looked uncomfortable enough his first couple games.

3) A rookie going from injured, to the AHL for a week, to the NHL on the defending Cup champs 2nd line between Kane and Sharp would have been an absolute bonehead move. Crawl before you run type deal. Q slowly was moving Handzus out of the 2C role before his injury anyway. It's just not a move that's made overnight in hockey. It's not like baseball or something where all the sudden you're the starting first baseman. He handled the Pirri situation like a pro.

4) Crawford more than likely will make the Olympic squad. Why wouldn't he? He's leading the NHL in wins this year, has a VERY respectable save percentage, has been clutch for the Hawks most of the year, and more importantly, should have won a Conn Smythe last postseason as the Stanley Cup winning goalie. He'll likely be #3, which as a Hawks fan, you should be STOKED about. He'll get great exposure, would be a huge confidence builder for him, and he likely will never have to start a game. Who would get the nod over him? Mike Smith? Doubtful. Also, him not starting Raanta tonight was the 100% right move. Edmonton is a team that historically piles up goals on the Hawks. Throwing your new rookie goalie that has basically 0 NHL experience against a team like that, regardless of record, is a potential long term disaster. Calgary and Dallas make a lot more sense.

5) Q isn't a good coach. He's a GREAT one. A Hall of Fame coach that has brought this city two Stanley Cups in 4 years (which is more than your boy Babcock), and has time and time again proved that there is almost always a method to his madness in the end. Yeah, the Carcillo thing was a head scratcher, his love of Kopecky was another. I'll admit, I don't understand the Brookbank thing this year over Morin...BUT...I don't have all the information or knowledge of what's happening behind closed doors. I don't know where he sees guys fitting in his schemes all the time...and if anyone has earned the trust of the meatball Chicago fans that want to question everything...it's Q. He's one of the best in the business.

That's the end of my rant. I'm bored at work and needed something to do, so...

JRS1386 11-26-2013 03:23 AM

Hawks fans finding something to both about since 2010

unccrombie 11-26-2013 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroshady (Post 14941432)

I knew we were going to lose on St. Louis' night. didn't think it would be that bad. The entire team looked awful, Hank included

swordo84 11-26-2013 04:44 AM

Oilers sucked, no surprises there.

What did surprise me when I woke up today was to learn that TSN has lost their NHL rights as of next fall. Rogers (another huge media/telecom company) out bid them by a wide margin, and secured rights to all the games for 12 (I think) years. Hockey Night in Canada will be unaffected by this, but damn...it's a bit like a punch to the gut. So much great hockey talent there that is now caught in limbo. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes down over the coming months.

The biggest blow to me is Oilers coverage. Rogers already had the territorial rights to the Oilers, and now that they have national too I fear they won't show as much Oil as TSN did. Maybe they'll be contractually obligated to show X number of games per team, but I'm afraid I might have to order centre ice again.

Here is an article outlining the deal;
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...deal-1.2440326

TMoore4075 11-26-2013 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 14942301)
Oilers sucked, no surprises there.

What did surprise me when I woke up today was to learn that TSN has lost their NHL rights as of next fall. Rogers (another huge media/telecom company) out bid them by a wide margin, and secured rights to all the games for 12 (I think) years. Hockey Night in Canada will be unaffected by this, but damn...it's a bit like a punch to the gut. So much great hockey talent there that is now caught in limbo. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes down over the coming months.

The biggest blow to me is Oilers coverage. Rogers already had the territorial rights to the Oilers, and now that they have national too I fear they won't show as much Oil as TSN did. Maybe they'll be contractually obligated to show X number of games per team, but I'm afraid I might have to order centre ice again.

Here is an article outlining the deal;
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...deal-1.2440326

Please let Cuthbert come back to HNIC. Pleeeease. Hope he doesn't go over to Rogers.

Your point about the Oilers coverage is a good one. Kinda wonder if the Flames, Jets and Oilers will be left out in the cold compared to the Habs, Leafs and Canucks and maybe even the Sens.

swordo84 11-26-2013 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14942319)
Please let Cuthbert come back to HNIC. Pleeeease. Hope he doesn't go over to Rogers.

Your point about the Oilers coverage is a good one. Kinda wonder if the Flames, Jets and Oilers will be left out in the cold compared to the Habs, Leafs and Canucks and maybe even the Sens.

TSN has the regional coverage from the Jets and Montreal, but Rogers has the rest of the regional packages. That tells me that Rogers will prop up the Jets and Habs at most opportunities for a national game, thusly bumping out Oilers etc from that possible coverage.

Bron Yr Aur 11-26-2013 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 14942277)
1) You realize Q doesn't bring people up from Rockford right? That's Bowman.

Oh c'mon Chris that's a poor excuse. You have to know they make these decisions with input from everyone.

Quote:

2) That's a skewed way of saying how it happened. Pirri was hurt until the very last preseason game. He needed time in Rockford to get his feet back. Starting him in the NHL right away would have been the wrong move for both the team and Pirri. He looked uncomfortable enough his first couple games.
This. But also, Q was never a big fan of his defensive effort. Perhaps it was just a matter of Pirri getting a chance to play under Q and his staff? Seems to be plenty of effort from him in the Hawks' zone.

Quote:

3) A rookie going from injured, to the AHL for a week, to the NHL on the defending Cup champs 2nd line between Kane and Sharp would have been an absolute bonehead move. Crawl before you run type deal. Q slowly was moving Handzus out of the 2C role before his injury anyway. It's just not a move that's made overnight in hockey. It's not like baseball or something where all the sudden you're the starting first baseman. He handled the Pirri situation like a pro.
Also....Pirri has played what, 20 games? Almost all of them on the 2nd line with guys like Kane and Saad? Let's not make him out to be some star. A lot of guys can find success playing with that talent.

TMoore4075 11-26-2013 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 14942330)
TSN has the regional coverage from the Jets and Montreal, but Rogers has the rest of the regional packages. That tells me that Rogers will prop up the Jets and Habs at most opportunities for a national game, thusly bumping out Oilers etc from that possible coverage.

Ah gotcha. Still I want Cuthbert back on HNIC. lol

Alright hockey fans I want some input. As you may have saw from my post the other day, going to Wings/Bruins tomorrow night. I will be tempted, and probably cave, to buy a shirt while I'm there. I want a Winter Classic jersey but I can't get myself to spend that kind of money for something I'll rarely wear. So I'm torn between these two.

Zetterberg Winter Classic jersey shirt:

http://shop.nhl.com/Detroit_Red_Wing..._T-Shirt_-_Red

Or either the tshirt or sweatshirt of this:
http://shop.nhl.com/Detroit_Red_Wing..._T-Shirt_-_Ash

The Zetterberg shirt doesn't date itself the way the WC shirt does. But the vintage/nostalgic part of the Norris Rivalry is just cool.

Rebecca De Mornay 11-26-2013 05:42 AM

I'm not a fan of jersey t-shirts so I vote option two.

But really you should just get the winter classic sweater :lol

TMoore4075 11-26-2013 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 14942342)
I'm not a fan of jersey t-shirts so I vote option two.

But really you should just get the winter classic sweater :lol

I want that so bad you have no idea. But my wife would kill me. lol

swordo84 11-26-2013 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 14942340)
Ah gotcha. Still I want Cuthbert back on HNIC. lol

Alright hockey fans I want some input. As you may have saw from my post the other day, going to Wings/Bruins tomorrow night. I will be tempted, and probably cave, to buy a shirt while I'm there. I want a Winter Classic jersey but I can't get myself to spend that kind of money for something I'll rarely wear. So I'm torn between these two.

Zetterberg Winter Classic jersey shirt:

http://shop.nhl.com/Detroit_Red_Wing..._T-Shirt_-_Red

Or either the tshirt or sweatshirt of this:
http://shop.nhl.com/Detroit_Red_Wing..._T-Shirt_-_Ash

The Zetterberg shirt doesn't date itself the way the WC shirt does. But the vintage/nostalgic part of the Norris Rivalry is just cool.

Zetterberg shirt.

Rebecca De Mornay 11-26-2013 05:45 AM

also get the t-shirt version of the second one. When sweatshirts are too specific they never get worn

Alazais 11-26-2013 06:35 AM

Toronto was so bad last night. EVERYONE was bad from top to bottom. I was grateful I wasn't watching. I had a friend sending me updates and then watched the game in six minutes but my god that was a stinker. Be better Toronto. Be Better.

Little disappointed after Reimer played like the kind of the world on Saturday.

swordo84 11-26-2013 06:37 AM

The new Canadian TV deal will raise the cap by $3mil next year on it's own. It's also sounding like HNIC is going to be phased out over the next four years (unless they are given an opportunity to re-up)