Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

barbogast 05-07-2016 10:16 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16404244)
Thank God I've seen Last Stop>Billies combo in 2010, otherwise I'd probably jump off a bridge for letting my man Kev get those tickets.

I'm glad everyone had a good time though!

Man I wish you could've come. Next time dude.

~Crashintome89~ 05-07-2016 10:23 PM

Yeah, I'm going to a wedding in two weeks on a Saturday and I'm the only one in the office who works the Saturday schedule. Just getting off for the wedding was tough enough, twice in three weeks? Wasn't going to happen.

That said, Sarah is the best and even though she should really just pick one team to root for, everyone in this thread loves those hairy legs regardless.

TMoore4075 05-08-2016 04:11 AM

Songs, on first listen, all seem better tha any we got last year. Excited for 13 more days.

salrx95 05-08-2016 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16404160)
Thread meet up was dope, show was dope, Caps winning is dope. Overall very much a dope day.

Haven't seen a thing about the game other than the score. Great result.

Sarah, Kevin, John, Michael, great to meet you all. Someone better post that pic in here! :)

Glad you all had a good time. Sure looked good on paper and that encore made it great. Wife and I tried periscoping here and there with little luck.

We are still jealous of not being there and everything that went on all weekend.

Wife really wants an win today for mother's day so I hope isles get it done.

UCFish 05-08-2016 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16404160)
Thread meet up was dope, show was dope, Caps winning is dope. Overall very much a dope day.

Haven't seen a thing about the game other than the score. Great result.

Sarah, Kevin, John, Michael, great to meet you all. Someone better post that pic in here! :)

Very nice to meet everybody!

swordo84 05-08-2016 10:16 AM

Glad to see/hear Guy Boucher is back behind an NHL bench.

barbogast 05-08-2016 10:16 AM

http://imgur.com/mfv2j88

Pic from yesterday's meet up, in front of the pink warehouse

kev87lads 05-08-2016 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16404645)

Such a great day yesterday. So glad we did that.

New songs? One was definitely way too slow. The otehr two were tolerable but again, have to hear a second, third, fourth, etc. to get a real idea. The show on the whole I think had 2 too many new songs for what the show was. But I can go on all day about that.

Show on the very whole though was excellent. Dave sounded great. The encore was incredible. Sounds like they've been playing Last Stop every year and not since 2010. It was great.

Clockwise for those wondering: Bob (barbogast), John (JRS), Sarah (dmbetc), Kev (kev87lads)

mr.MikeD 05-08-2016 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16404645)

Dave Matthews front left, nice!
(if you squint a bit and look quickly).

salrx95 05-08-2016 02:06 PM

Every team should have a Victor Hedman. Unfair only the Lightning do.

trd1610 05-08-2016 02:20 PM

Hedman really is something else. Nobody should be that large and that fast. Really great showing today by the Lightning, everything is clicking.

barbogast 05-08-2016 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16404755)
Such a great day yesterday. So glad we did that.

New songs? One was definitely way too slow. The otehr two were tolerable but again, have to hear a second, third, fourth, etc. to get a real idea. The show on the whole I think had 2 too many new songs for what the show was. But I can go on all day about that.

Show on the very whole though was excellent. Dave sounded great. The encore was incredible. Sounds like they've been playing Last Stop every year and not since 2010. It was great.

Clockwise for those wondering: Bob (barbogast), John (JRS), Sarah (dmbetc), Kev (kev87lads)

:thumbsup pretty much exactly how I felt about the show. I thought Dave's voice was really strong. I also thought his guitar was turned up noticeably higher than it has been and I liked that I could really hear his acoustic even while the whole band was playing. I kinda thought when I saw the 12 string come out, maybe Last Stop was happening. Especially since Grey St had come and gone already. I said to the wife, "I dunno dude. I really think this is Last Stop". And then boom. It was totally hot soapy tits.

The meet up really was a blast, y'all some good people. Can't wait till we can do it again

barbogast 05-08-2016 03:58 PM

Also congrats to our new Lightning fan. I hope very much I see you next round (:lol :lol :lol)

Sorry, Sal. Bummer

TMoore4075 05-09-2016 04:31 AM

Remember the Lightning are doing it without Stamkos and Stralman. Helps when you have a very good 9 foot goalie. Still remember people in here thinking Yzerman was dumb for trading Cory Conacher for him. How's that looking now?

I think this all but solidifies Stammer leaving. Why would you want to commit $10ish mil per year for 8 years when you are going to the ECF's without him and will have plenty of guys to sign soon enough?

Dramageek 05-09-2016 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16405527)
Remember the Lightning are doing it without Stamkos and Stralman. Helps when you have a very good 9 foot goalie. Still remember people in here thinking Yzerman was dumb for trading Cory Conacher for him. How's that looking now?

I think this all but solidifies Stammer leaving. Why would you want to commit $10ish mil per year for 8 years when you are going to the ECF's without him and will have plenty of guys to sign soon enough?

Agreed. And I haven't been following the Lightning as closely, but has Kucherov been this good all season?

TheLastPig 05-09-2016 07:16 AM

Some pittsburgh media calling for fleury in game 6 :lol

That's the most predictable take I've seen all season. So dumb. I'm glad these people aren't coaches.

Dramageek 05-09-2016 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16405766)
Some pittsburgh media calling for fleury in game 6 :lol

That's the most predictable take I've seen all season. So dumb. I'm glad these people aren't coaches.

:lol People are so reactionary after a loss. Like the world is ending. News flash: The Capitals are a great team and were likely to win at least a couple of games this series. They have. It'd be nice if they win no more, but I'm not too concerned yet.

People need to remember the 2009 Cup Final. The Pens clawed back after dropping the first two, leading to the "pivotal" Game 5. The Pens completely failed to make the trip to Detroit for that game, and got obliterated 5-0. I don't remember what people were saying, but I'm pretty sure most Pens fans were ready to hand Detroit the Cup again. However, what actually happened was that the Pens played one of the best games in their history in Game 6 and then went on to win the Stanley Cup. So Pens fans (and Pens media) need to chill.

The loss really wasn't on Murray. Maybe he should have saved Williams' shot, but the other goals were not on him. So keep him in the net. The Pens need to be more disciplined and not give the Caps 5-6 power plays. It'd be nice if Sid and Geno found their way onto the score sheet.

Lcsulla 05-09-2016 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16404877)
Hedman really is something else. Nobody should be that large and that fast. Really great showing today by the Lightning, everything is clicking.

Yeah, he really is amazing to watch and I think he is going to make a run for the Conn Smyth. The truly astounding thing is that TB has 3 other guys I would seriously consider for that award (Bishop, Johnson and Kucherov) in addition to Benn, Holtby, Elliot, Tarasenko, Burns, Pavelski, Jones, Crosby or Murray depending on how the rest of the playoffs play out. Lot of guys playing some great hockey right now.

jrkarger 05-09-2016 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16405782)
People need to remember the 2009 Cup Final. The Pens clawed back after dropping the first two, leading to the "pivotal" Game 5. The Pens completely failed to make the trip to Detroit for that game, and got obliterated 5-0. I don't remember what people were saying, but I'm pretty sure most Pens fans were ready to hand Detroit the Cup again. However, what actually happened was that the Pens played one of the best games in their history in Game 6 and then went on to win the Stanley Cup. So Pens fans (and Pens media) need to chill.

In '09, I remember heading to my buddy's place for Game 3 after work; Pens down 0-2. Mark Madden predicted on his show as I'm driving that the Pens would win in 6. I thought, "Yeah right."

IIRC game 3 was the night Staal had the shorty goal, that IMO turned the entire series around.

I'll be interested to hear Madden's take on his show this afternoon.

TMoore4075 05-09-2016 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrkarger (Post 16405875)
In '09, I remember heading to my buddy's place for Game 3 after work; Pens down 0-2. Mark Madden predicted on his show as I'm driving that the Pens would win in 6. I thought, "Yeah right."

IIRC game 3 was the night Staal had the shorty goal, that IMO turned the entire series around.

I'll be interested to hear Madden's take on his show this afternoon.

I think that was game 4 with the shorty.

Fans are and media feeding them are stupid. I saw people not wanting the Wings to get Marc Crawford as a new assistant becacuse they thought he was a douche with the Avs 20 years ago. A successful coach with the Avs, Canucks and currently in Europe. Yeah I don't want cause he 20 years ago he coached a team I hated....fucking morons. I hate the Hawks and Kane is a frat boy douche but if he became a UFA tomorrow I'd want to sign him as soon as possible.

Murray wasn't the issue in game 5 and he got you here. Now if he loses tomorrow do you replace him? Depends if he's the reason. He lets in 5 in the first then you think about it. But if he plays well and they lose 2-1 why would you change it up and put a guy in who hasn't played in forever into a game 7?

jrkarger 05-09-2016 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16405924)
I think that was game 4 with the shorty.

Fans are and media feeding them are stupid. I saw people not wanting the Wings to get Marc Crawford as a new assistant becacuse they thought he was a douche with the Avs 20 years ago. A successful coach with the Avs, Canucks and currently in Europe. Yeah I don't want cause he 20 years ago he coached a team I hated....fucking morons. I hate the Hawks and Kane is a frat boy douche but if he became a UFA tomorrow I'd want to sign him as soon as possible.

Murray wasn't the issue in game 5 and he got you here. Now if he loses tomorrow do you replace him? Depends if he's the reason. He lets in 5 in the first then you think about it. But if he plays well and they lose 2-1 why would you change it up and put a guy in who hasn't played in forever into a game 7?

Just looked it up, you're right it was game 4. Wings were up 2-1 in the game and I remember thinking if they scored on that PP, the series was probably over.

Anyway, I agree with you on Murray.

trd1610 05-09-2016 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16405709)
Agreed. And I haven't been following the Lightning as closely, but has Kucherov been this good all season?

Yeah he's been great all year, and with Johnson missing a dozen or so games this year with injuries he's had to shoulder a lot of the load on that line. 30-30 guy in the regular season, and leads the playoffs the past two seasons with 18 total.

trd1610 05-09-2016 10:37 AM

The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16405527)

Conacher was an exciting prospect but you can't beat having a solid goalie, and that was in the midst of the Dwayne Roloson/Mike Smith replacement situation. Andres lindback was in there for a while. And Mathieu Garon as well. With the depth of the prospects at the time i didn't think it was an egregious move. Bishop is a stud in net, I really think he deserves the Vezina this year. I've learned not to question anything Yzerman does, guy knows what he's doing.

And I think you're right about Stamkos. I'll be really disappointed to see him go but money and cap wise if they can't reach a deal I get why. Hedman, Kucherov, Johnson, Palat will all have expiring deals in the next two seasons and all need to get locked up.

One thing though with all the talk about how these big time stars may want to go to Toronto once they are UFAs, Stamkos (this year) and Tavaras (2017) the two big ones that I've heard rumored, is that the combined federal and providential tax rates in Toronto add up to over 50%, are these guys willing to leave that much money on the table just to go play for the Leafs?

Idk, maybe I'm biased and still trying to cling to hope Stamkos wants to stay with Tampa, a team and community that he's really been embraced by and adores him, beautiful weather, no state taxes, championship opportunity and roster for the foreseeable short term future, but what is the benefit of going to TOR? Just because it's "home"? Am I underestimating/appreciating how "important" Toronto is to the greater hockey world?

TMoore4075 05-09-2016 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16406230)

One thing though with all the talk about how these big time stars may want to go to Toronto once they are UFAs, Stamkos (this year) and Tavaras (2017) the two big ones that I've heard rumored, is that the combined federal and providential tax rates in Toronto add up to over 50%, are these guys willing to leave that much money on the table just to go play for the Leafs?

Idk, maybe I'm biased and still trying to cling to hope Stamkos wants to stay with Tampa, a team and community that he's really been embraced by and adores him, beautiful weather, no state taxes, championship opportunity and roster for the foreseeable short term future, but what is the benefit of going to TOR? Just because it's "home"? Am I underestimating/appreciating how "important" Toronto is to the greater hockey world?

I think cap space flexibility play into decisions more than anything. Toronto has young prospects coming along and a crap ton of picks and cap space. He can sign in TBL for less money but take home more but an 8.5mil cap hit will make some players have to be let go and one might be the stud goalie. Tampa has already run into the problem before when they signed Richards and let Khabibulin go cause of cap issues. Two years from now Tampa could have cap issues while in TO they could have the cap space to sign whoever. Add to the fact it's his hometown... I'm still hoping the Wings convince him to come here though. :)

trd1610 05-09-2016 11:16 AM

The NHL Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16406301)
I think cap space flexibility play into decisions more than anything. Toronto has young prospects coming along and a crap ton of picks and cap space. He can sign in TBL for less money but take home more but an 8.5mil cap hit will make some players have to be let go and one might be the stud goalie. Tampa has already run into the problem before when they signed Richards and let Khabibulin go cause of cap issues. Two years from now Tampa could have cap issues while in TO they could have the cap space to sign whoever. Add to the fact it's his hometown... I'm still hoping the Wings convince him to come here though. :)

Yeah I agree it's definitely more of a cap issue for Tampa than where Stamkos may or may not want to play. Net $ wise staying in the states and specifically Tampa is probably best for him, even if the gross contract they could offer may be less the TOR because of the cap implications.

The one difference with the Richards situation is that they have a ton of confidence in Vasilevskiy to be the goalie of the future. While bishop is outstanding and I'm glad we have him this year and next, by the end of 2017 they may be ready to move to the kid.

Another large contract extension was the one they gave to Lecavalier, which when it became too much to bear they moved him. But honestly if you can fit Kuch, Hedman, Stamkos, Johnson, and Palat all inside the cap, I'd say fuck it and fill the roster out with some veteran minimum guys and prospects. But maybe that's why I'm not a GM lol.

TMoore4075 05-09-2016 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trd1610 (Post 16406318)
Yeah I agree it's definitely more of a cap issue for Tampa than where Stamkos may or may not want to play. Net $ wise staying in the states and specifically Tampa is probably best for him, even if the gross contract they could offer may be less the TOR because of the cap implications.

The one difference with the Richards situation is that they have a ton of confidence in Vasilevskiy to be the goalie of the future. While bishop is outstanding and I'm glad we have him this year and next, by the end of 2017 they may be ready to move to the kid.

Another large contract extension was the one they gave to Lecavalier, which when it became too much to bear they moved him. But honestly if you can fit Kuch, Hedman, Stamkos, Johnson, and Palat all inside the cap, I'd say fuck it and fill the roster out with some veteran minimum guys and prospects. But maybe that's why I'm not a GM lol.

Depth is the key. People also need to remember while Stammer isn't playing now, he might has well not have in the first round against Detroit last year. It was the depth that carried them until he found his game.

trd1610 05-09-2016 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16406396)
Depth is the key. People also need to remember while Stammer isn't playing now, he might has well not have in the first round against Detroit last year. It was the depth that carried them until he found his game.

No I know that. It's the contributions you get from guys like Couburn, Sustr, Boyle, Namestnikov, Filppula, Paquette, etc. that can really make the difference come playoffs.

dmbetc 05-09-2016 12:45 PM

What a weekend! I'm ready to just relax and watch hockey now.

Bob, Kevin and John it was so awesome meeting you guys!

kev87lads 05-09-2016 01:40 PM

^ The mod is back!!!

#freeparking

TMoore4075 05-09-2016 02:02 PM

Sorry you had to deal with Flyers peeps.