Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

lockman21 09-17-2014 12:46 PM

Re: The NHL Thread

Errrrr fuck, how about an even better "caution to the wind" type player...

ROB BROWN. Remember that fool?

TMoore4075 09-17-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15600549)
Honestly, I get why he's not signing the 8yr deal. Or the 6yr deal. I wouldn't want to lose out on my UFA years either.

But work on a bridge deal. 8m/2yrs. Go with that.

Totally agree. That 8 year deal is great for the Jackets if he pans out. lol Remember the Wings were paying Zetterberg 2.65mil for 2008 and a Conn Smythe, and 2009 when he could have won it again had they won the Cup...yeah.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15600556)
Johansen got benched in the AHL the year before the lockout. I don't think that ever happened to Toews or Kopitar, either. :lol

The kid needs more time to prove that he's not a one hit wonder. Anyone remember Fabian Brunnstrom? Not saying Ryan is him...but you need to give guys time before you freak out over them and just dump that kind of $$$ all over.

Wings almost signed that kid. Thank god that didn't happen.
Quote:

Originally Posted by fonzz41 (Post 15600558)
Yeah. I think they probably just gave him options. The bridge deal would be more beneficial for both parties. But it's like, "OK, you want long term? Here's what we can do."

Exactly. you want 8 years, this is what we'll give you. If he's thinking he's gonna get the 8 years and 8.5mil (if the $3mil gap is true on that deal too) then he's nuts.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15600561)
Errrrr fuck, how about an even better "caution to the wind" type player...

ROB BROWN. Remember that fool?

Remember the name, not the contract.

barbogast 09-17-2014 01:02 PM

Contract disputes in general are such a huge turn off for me. It's my least favorite part about professional sports. I mean, I get it, but it's all just so unappealing to me.

Summer sucks

lockman21 09-17-2014 01:08 PM

Rob Brown put up like 120 points in 3/4ths of a season one year, and then dropped off the face of the earth 2 years later. He played a couple years in Chicago when I was a young lad, and I just remember my dad hating him so much :lol

Bron Yr Aur 09-17-2014 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockman21 (Post 15600549)
Honestly, I get why he's not signing the 8yr deal. Or the 6yr deal. I wouldn't want to lose out on my UFA years either.

But work on a bridge deal. 8m/2yrs. Go with that.

I mean if you look at what ROR got a couple of years ago as RFA ($10m/2yrs)....the discussions probably start there as a MINIMUM for a 2 year deal.

So to me, yeah, the $6m over 2 years offer is definitely a "slap-in-the-face."

Fans who say "har har $6m is a slap in the face that is ridiculous those overpaid ath-a-letes should be LUCKY" are basically morons.

I mean he's probably looking for $35m/5yrs, which is too much. $30m/5yrs or $35m/6yrs seems reasonable to me.

~Crashintome89~ 09-17-2014 02:34 PM

that's because Rob Brown was playing with Mario Lemieux all the time. A one armed, one legged man could put up 120 in a season with Mario on his line.

Nah, I hate the Pens. Lemieux sucks.

~Crashintome89~ 09-17-2014 02:35 PM

RJ just needs to sign a bridge deal, all of the current stars have done it--Giroux, Subban, ROR?

He should just suck it up and prove management wrong. He does it for two years, or hell, even one year and he'll be golden for the rest of his career.

barbogast 09-17-2014 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15600764)
that's because Rob Brown was playing with Mario Lemieux all the time. A one armed, one legged man could put up 120 in a season with Mario on his line.

Nah, I hate the Pens. Lemieux sucks.

:thumbsup correct.

Rebecca De Mornay 09-17-2014 05:20 PM

Friend of mine saw Johansen at a restaurant downtown tonight, right next to the arena.

people kept walking up to him and asking if he was going to sign and his response was "im trying"

this led me to two thoughts:

1. yay for columbus that people can recognize someone on the team
2. the more i read/think/hear about the situation, while i still side with the team, i feel bad for the kid. has to be a tough situation, it sounds like he really wants to stay in columbus, i wonder how much Overhardt has influenced him to drag this out.

Rebecca De Mornay 09-17-2014 05:48 PM

turns out that was last night.
today he flew back to vancouver.

:shrug

TMoore4075 09-18-2014 05:11 AM

Very happy to see the NHL reject ads on jerseys. I have a feeling it will eventually happen in all the 4 major team sports, but.... I don't want it to.

TMoore4075 09-18-2014 05:26 AM

So Horton will miss the start of the season too. Hits keep coming for the Jackets.

~Crashintome89~ 09-18-2014 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca De Mornay (Post 15600959)
Friend of mine saw Johansen at a restaurant downtown tonight, right next to the arena.

people kept walking up to him and asking if he was going to sign and his response was "im trying"

this led me to two thoughts:

1. yay for columbus that people can recognize someone on the team
2. the more i read/think/hear about the situation, while i still side with the team, i feel bad for the kid. has to be a tough situation, it sounds like he really wants to stay in columbus, i wonder how much Overhardt has influenced him to drag this out.

Feel bad for him? And he's trying? What is he trying? Just sign a freakin' bridge deal already. It's not like he's being locked down for pennies for his entire career.

TMoore4075 09-18-2014 06:12 AM

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/s...oach-boudreau/

So this has been blowing up on twitter today.

~Crashintome89~ 09-18-2014 07:17 AM

have lost a little bit of respect for Teemu.

salrx95 09-18-2014 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15601628)
have lost a little bit of respect for Teemu.

Seriously. What a baby. You were 44 years old on a very good team that had depth. You should have been happy with the amount of time on ice you had and role you had. Go play in Finland. I hate whiners.

pathetic 09-18-2014 07:32 AM

i'm pretty sure the ducks were fine with Teemu in the role he was in. what a baby

dmbetc 09-18-2014 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15601508)
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/s...oach-boudreau/

So this has been blowing up on twitter today.

Wow. Way to tarnish his own name.

dmbetc 09-18-2014 08:17 AM

Ducks were 1st in the Pacific the last 2 years under Bourdreau, Selanne's numbers were terrible last year, not the coaches fault. Okay, maybe a small fraction but the brunt of the "blame" is on him. He's just old, and well past his prime. He wanted to go out in on a high note and got shafted. Hardly the coaches fault. Bourdreau seems to be working out fine for the Ducks, that's coming from someone that hates him (still bitter from his days with the Caps) AND I hate the Ducks..

What a schmuck.

dmbetc 09-18-2014 08:20 AM

Also, just want to take this opportunity to laugh at the Ducks for blowing the playoffs. :lol:lol:lol That was a big embarrassment.

I'd be pissed if that were my last game as well.

fonzz41 09-18-2014 08:29 AM

I would like to read the whole book to get some context before I completely turn on Selanne.

But regardless, I'm not a fan of airing dirty laundry like that. Who knows, maybe Boudreau is a big problem and Selanne is partially justified in being pissed off at how his career ended. But do you have to go put it into print for everyone to see? It's kind of the norm right now for hockey bios like this one, at least the ones I've read, but I didn't expect it from someone of Teemu's caliber.

TMoore4075 09-18-2014 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15601763)
Ducks were 1st in the Pacific the last 2 years under Bourdreau, Selanne's numbers were terrible last year, not the coaches fault. Okay, maybe a small fraction but the brunt of the "blame" is on him. He's just old, and well past his prime. He wanted to go out in on a high note and got shafted. Hardly the coaches fault. Bourdreau seems to be working out fine for the Ducks, that's coming from someone that hates him (still bitter from his days with the Caps) AND I hate the Ducks..

What a schmuck.

Luc was doing that in 2002-03 here. He wasn't producing and the team was deep as hell. You have Shanny, Fedorov, Datsyuk, Larionov, Holmstrom, Hull, a rookie Zetterberg, all producing so who is gonna lose ice time to try and get Luc going? The team is winning and other guys are producing. You think the coach is gonna mess with it to get one guy going?

I'm not sure how to feel about him right now. I mean if he was looking to leave last year, and says he would still be playing if it wasn't for Bruce, then why didn't you go to the Jets this year?

dmbetc 09-18-2014 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 15601814)
Luc was doing that in 2002-03 here. He wasn't producing and the team was deep as hell. You have Shanny, Fedorov, Datsyuk, Larionov, Holmstrom, Hull, a rookie Zetterberg, all producing so who is gonna lose ice time to try and get Luc going? The team is winning and other guys are producing. You think the coach is gonna mess with it to get one guy going?

I'm not sure how to feel about him right now. I mean if he was looking to leave last year, and says he would still be playing if it wasn't for Bruce, then why didn't you go to the Jets this year?

Exactly, the team is progressing past Selanne. He was so used to being the top guy and now he isn't. It's a different team, adjusting to a different coaching style...and they are doing very well.

He just sounds bitter.

barbogast 09-18-2014 08:47 AM

Certainly doesn't look great for Teemu. Not a fan of printing stuff like that, and I don't really think he's got a valid point either. Getting scratched from a playoff game is tough, but the guy didn't have a very good year last year. There's no doubt in my mind that Teemu never lost his desire to win and wanted to help and genuinely felt ripped off, but when you aren't really producing you can't blame the coach for lessening your role. Pretty sad to see this from a player that was held in such high regard both on and off the ice, and was pretty well beloved by all hockey fans, not just Ducks and Jets fans. Not a good look.

hailtopitt 09-18-2014 08:53 AM

isn't that the point of a biography though? it was a turning point in both his life and career. can't blame an athlete for having an athlete's mentality

dmbetc 09-18-2014 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15601841)
isn't that the point of a biography though? it was a turning point in both his life and career. can't blame an athlete for having an athlete's mentality

Sure, you can have your disagreements and quarrels with your coaching staff..but to put all blame on the coach is just selfish, childish and incorrect.

I mean...really? “I told Boudreau if you ever want to win something in a playoffs, you’re going to need me. Nobody else wants to win as much as me.”

:lol:lol

hailtopitt 09-18-2014 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 15601852)
Sure, you can have your disagreements and quarrels with your coaching staff..but to put all blame on the coach is just selfish, childish and incorrect.

I mean...really? “I told Boudreau if you ever want to win something in a playoffs, you’re going to need me. Nobody else wants to win as much as me.”

:lol:lol

don't get me wrong, it comes off as whiny, no doubt. but from a writing perspective it makes sense

like fonzz said, i'll have to read to whole thing

~Crashintome89~ 09-18-2014 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 15601841)

Turning point? Not exactly. It was his last season. His career was over. His numbers have been going down for years.

But you are right, we shouldn't throw him completely under the bus because he's highly competitive and has that mentality. After all, the guy did finally retire at 44. Chelios was the same way, but it at least appeared that he was willing to take a decreasin ice time, or even competition to still play--Teemu, according to the comments in his book, simply expected to get the same amount of ice time.

hailtopitt 09-18-2014 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15601962)
Turning point? Not exactly. It was his last season. His career was over. His numbers have been going down for years.

But you are right, we shouldn't throw him completely under the bus because he's highly competitive and has that mentality. After all, the guy did finally retire at 44. Chelios was the same way, but it at least appeared that he was willing to take a decreasin ice time, or even competition to still play--Teemu, according to the comments in his book, simply expected to get the same amount of ice time.

i mean it's still a pretty important waypoint in one's career, and definitely a turning point in his life

sometimes you gotta write what you feel, i sympathize with that at least

i don't know, it's just hard for me to criticize the guy based on this article is all

TMoore4075 09-18-2014 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 15601962)

Cheli kept his mouth shut, which surprised the shit out of me. lol