Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

aeroshady 04-11-2016 11:54 AM

Re: The NHL Thread

Got to do my first round playoff picks!!

WEST:

1. Dallas-4
WC. Minnesota-2

2. St. Louis-4
3. Chicago-3

1. Anaheim-4
WC. Nashville-2

2. Los Angeles-4
3. San Jose-1

EAST:

1. Florida-4
WC. Brooklyn-3

2. Tampa Bay-4
3. Detroit-2

1. Washington-4
WC. Philadelphia-3

2. Pittsburgh-4
3. New York-2

Brohan_Santana 04-11-2016 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyh24 (Post 16367205)
Hooray for regular season success! I guess I just look at differently. This Bruins team was not good. Most fans will say the same thing. Putting together 93 points is not that impressive to me. There was no way they were making any noise in the playoffs. Would have been embarrassed by the caps. The team had huge holes particularly on defense which is such an important part of the team. Look at their defense on paper. It's straight up awful after their top 2. Not sure what magic Claude is supposed to work with that junk. He isn't the one that ruined this team.

If you watched any Bruins hockey you wold agree with this. Bruins were fucking awful all year. And would beat good teams sometimes because they sold out on D.

Strangely, B's were insanely good on the road, and a sub .500 team at home. Same as the Sharks I believe. Don't know how that happens but Bruins offense was lethal on the road.

Brohan_Santana 04-11-2016 12:28 PM

Caps in 6
Pens in 7
Lightning in 7
Panthers in 6

Ducks in 5
Kings in 6
Stars in 6
Blues in 7

pathetic 04-11-2016 12:39 PM

yeah, not sure what claude is supposed to do when 3/4 of the team has no trade clause and is either overpaid, old, or always hurt.

Lcsulla 04-11-2016 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16367943)
same thing as a yellow but it's usually just used in indoor soccer and initiates a "power play"

some leagues use blue, some use yellow

https://www.google.com/#q=blue+card+in+soccer

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16367944)
we had them for like 3-4 years when I was in the 10-15 range. instead of a yellow you got a blue, sat out for 2 min. 2 blues were a yellow, that yellow followed you to the next game, 2 yellows a red (suspension, etc.).

maybe it was just our league....

promoted increased scoring. I dug it.

Weird, first I have ever heard of it. When I played if you got a yellow you didn't even have to leave the field, the other team just got a free kick but if you got a second yellow or a straight red you would have to leave the game and you team played a man down for the remainder of the game and worse you were ineligible for the next game. I only got one red in entire life and it was for getting two yellows in one game - one of which they gave me for yelling at one defenders who fell for the same exact trick every time and as our sweeper I'd have to pick up the slack for him!

dmbetc 04-11-2016 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16367156)
let's do a bracket challenge. Hope this link works but here's the info

league name: antsmarching
password: lolcaps

http://bracketchallenge.nhl.com/api/.../league/155898

new page bump

TMoore4075 04-11-2016 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16368183)
new page bump

Not a fan of that logo.

dmbetc 04-11-2016 12:48 PM

Also changing my picks little:

Caps in 5
Pens in 6
Panthers in 5
Lighting in 6

Stars in 6
Hawks in 5
Ducks in 7
Kings in 6

hailtopitt 04-11-2016 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16368179)
Weird, first I have ever heard of it. When I played if you got a yellow you didn't even have to leave the field, the other team just got a free kick but if you got a second yellow or a straight red you would have to leave the game and you team played a man down for the remainder of the game and worse you were ineligible for the next game. I only got one red in entire life and it was for getting two yellows in one game - one of which they gave me for yelling at one defenders who fell for the same exact trick every time and as our sweeper I'd have to pick up the slack for him!

you never played indoor soccer with power plays? i didn't like it nearly as much as full-field outdoor but the power play element was super fun

if you had a competent team, you could get some creative, artful passing going on

and as mostly a goalie, i absolutely feared killing a PP :lol

dmbetc 04-11-2016 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16368185)
Not a fan of that logo.

how about now?

unccrombie 04-11-2016 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16368196)
you never played indoor soccer with power plays? i didn't like it nearly as much as full-field outdoor but the power play element was super fun

if you had a competent team, you could get some creative, artful passing going on

what were your playoff OT rules for indoor?

we did 5v5 for 5 minutes and then every minute after that you took a player off the field. shit got down to goalie v goalie sometimes :lol

TMoore4075 04-11-2016 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16368231)
how about now?

Better I guess. Because of the password, maybe the winter classic champs banner? lol jk

hailtopitt 04-11-2016 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16368235)
what were your playoff OT rules for indoor?

we did 5v5 for 5 minutes and then every minute after that you took a player off the field. shit got down to goalie v goalie sometimes :lol

can't remember if they were any different than the regular season but i don't think it was anything like that lol

unccrombie 04-11-2016 01:19 PM

does game center/center ice run through the 1st round of the playoffs?

fonzz41 04-11-2016 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16367360)
Bruins fans were nowhere to be seen the last few months but show up after their team gets throttled and knocked out of the playoffs and come in here and chirp? OK.

It's playoff time in the NHL Thread. The regular playoff fans come in and chirp a bit, then are gone right after. Buncha cuties.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ (Post 16367152)

Julien is a good coach. He knows what's he doing. I think he kinda lost the team though. They've had some head scratching moves the past year though. Trading a 3 rounder for Rinaldo, moving Dougie Hamilton, and then drafting three players who weren't supposed to go that high in the first round. All terrible mistakes.

Agreed. Roster-wise, they simply have not been able to sustainably ice a solid team. Really weird front-office decisions in terms of personnel. Definitely not all on Julien, who absolutely is a great coach.

It's the common thing we talk about all the time in here - the NHL coaching carousel. After a while, a coach's message just gets stale and it's time for new blood. When Peter Laviolette got let go in Philly (and Carolina), does that mean he was a bad coach? Hell no, it was just time for something fresh. When Trotz got let go in Nashville, did that make him a bad coach? No response required. Boston probably just needs a new face preaching a new message, and Julien - if he wants to - will easily land on his feet somewhere else.
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmbetc (Post 16367156)
let's do a bracket challenge. Hope this link works but here's the info

league name: antsmarching
password: lolcaps

http://bracketchallenge.nhl.com/api/.../league/155898

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16367364)
Alright douchebags. Doing the bracket challenge again.

http://bracketchallenge.nhl.com/#/league/160652

That should work for the link and the password is "omgcg"

Signing up for both because Lord knows I can't pick between you two. :hug

Lcsulla 04-11-2016 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16368196)

No, today is the first I have even heard of the concept. For our indoor we actually had a dedicated gym with turf that was large enough for 11 v 11 games. Growing up each county in CT had a team and we'd battle indoor, our only real fear was sliding on the turf and a handful of us from each county were on the same team to compete against other states from PA to ME.

Closest thing I can recall to what you are talking about was if it was raining for a grade, middle, or high school gym class where we'd play on the basketball court but none of the actual soccer players every took it very serious because we didn't want to risk injury during some stupid gym class game! I never could figure out why our HS didn't allow those of us who played one or more sports to avoid gym classes. :lol

dmbetc 04-11-2016 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16368261)
Better I guess. Because of the password, maybe the winter classic champs banner? lol jk

There. Now it is completely unbiased!!

hailtopitt 04-11-2016 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16368287)
No, today is the first I have even heard of the concept. For our indoor we actually had a dedicated gym with turf that was large enough for 11 v 11 games. Growing up each county in CT had a team and we'd battle indoor, our only real fear was sliding on the turf and a handful of us from each county were on the same team to compete against other states from PA to ME.

Closest thing I can recall to what you are talking about was if it was raining for a grade, middle, or high school gym class where we'd play on the basketball court but none of the actual soccer players every took it very serious because we didn't want to risk injury during some stupid gym class game! I never could figure out why our HS didn't allow those of us who played one or more sports to avoid gym classes. :lol

to the bolded: that's not really true indoor soccer

the way i grew up knowing it was a 5 v 5 game on a small, hard surface with small, lacrosse sized nets. there was no out-of-bounds on the sidelines, you could use the walls to your advantage (kinda like the boards in hockey)

and you played with an indoor ball which was basically a large tennis ball (and it fucking hurt when you got hit with it)

something like this:

http://www.soccer.com/guide/wp-conte.../180863731.jpg

played with this:

http://www.rhombus-sports.com/rh33.gif

unccrombie 04-11-2016 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16368325)

the way i grew up knowing it was a 5 v 5 game on a small, hard surface with small, lacrosse sized nets. there was no out-of-bounds on the sidelines, you could use the walls to your advantage (kinda like the boards in hockey)

and you played with an indoor ball which was basically a large tennis ball (and it fucking hurt when you got hit with it)

something like this:

played with this:

this looks awful...

hailtopitt 04-11-2016 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16368338)
this looks awful...

what does?

unccrombie 04-11-2016 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16368344)
what does?

the field and ball.

we had astroturf, a normal ball, and goals built in to the boards. turf got replaced by the rubber stuff when I was like 13-15

hailtopitt 04-11-2016 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unccrombie (Post 16368353)
the field and ball.

we had astroturf, a normal ball, and goals built in to the boards. turf got replaced by the rubber stuff when I was like 13-15

i've played on turf fields too, but they were always tiny, like the size of a bball court

i liked the hard surface and ball though because it was a super fast game

it was like a hybrid of soccer and hockey

Lcsulla 04-11-2016 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16368325)

something like this:

played with this:

Yeah, I remember those balls from HS gym class - still feel guilty because I broke the nose and glasses of some girl they stuffed in goal. I didn't mean it at all, was all reaction, I took a pass, turned and fired at the net just like I had been taught (didn't even look to see who was in goal) and the poor girl just got laid out.

That 'field' looks dangerous as hell to me. Way too small for wide open play, the basketball nets would negate any chance of a cross and the lines look like someone out of a kids coloring book! :lol

hailtopitt 04-11-2016 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16368363)
Yeah, I remember those balls from HS gym class - still feel guilty because I broke the nose and glasses of some girl they stuffed in goal. I didn't mean it at all, was all reaction, I took a pass, turned and fired at the net just like I had been taught (didn't even look to see who was in goal) and the poor girl just got laid out.

That 'field' looks dangerous as hell to me. Way too small for wide open play, the basketball nets would negate any chance of a cross and the lines look like someone out of a kids coloring book! :lol

i mean that was just the first pic i found that resembled what i was talking about

i didn't play on a surface with basketball hoops hanging down like that

Lcsulla 04-11-2016 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16368365)
i mean that was just the first pic i found that resembled what i was talking about

i didn't play on a surface with basketball hoops hanging down like that

Gotcha, makes sense. Still the whole concept of 5 v 5 soccer and blue cards sounds like it comes from Mars or something! :)

unccrombie 04-12-2016 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16368362)
i've played on turf fields too, but they were always tiny, like the size of a bball court

i liked the hard surface and ball though because it was a super fast game

it was like a hybrid of soccer and hockey

our turf fields were a little smaller than hokey rinks.
though I had played on ones the size of a b-bal court when we were smaller.

Dramageek 04-12-2016 06:51 AM

So, hockey playoffs! (I know, I know, not much to talk about until tomorrow. And I remember those green, tennis-ball-like indoor soccer balls from gym class.)

Many of the injured Pens are practicing or at least skating around. Fleury has been symptom free for the past few days and hopefully will stay that way. Murray's status is still questionable. Malkin is everybody's favorite classification: "day-to-day." Olli Matta might see some first-round action. Ryan McDonagh definitely out for Game 1 and will be day-to-day after that.

hailtopitt 04-12-2016 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramageek (Post 16368970)
So, hockey playoffs! (I know, I know, not much to talk about until tomorrow. And I remember those green, tennis-ball-like indoor soccer balls from gym class.)

Many of the injured Pens are practicing or at least skating around. Fleury has been symptom free for the past few days and hopefully will stay that way. Murray's status is still questionable. Malkin is everybody's favorite classification: "day-to-day." Olli Matta might see some first-round action. Ryan McDonagh definitely out for Game 1 and will be day-to-day after that.

:lol that avatar & user title :lol

Dramageek 04-12-2016 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hailtopitt (Post 16368979)
:lol that avatar & user title :lol

You have no idea how happy I was to find that picture. I had to use it. :lol

hailtopitt 04-12-2016 07:00 AM

busting out the beard trimmer tonight

Pens are doing a "Gold Rush" (finally) instead of the usual white out, plus the Pens will be wearing Gold sweaters at home during the playoffs

should be fucking sweet looking tomorrow night at the Consol

http://www.wtae.com/sports/penguins-...yoffs/38967292

not sure why the pic in that article is of the black jerseys, but i think they're wearing these bad boys:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/227541/82Gold.jpg