Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMB Tour Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   *** Offical SPAC 2021 Thread *** (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=353360)

TheAssistant 01-30-2020 02:08 PM

Re: *** Offical SPAC 2020 Thread ***

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 17624845)
Traditionally the lawn is rough for DMB. You can stake out a great spot, but once it fills in, it REALLY fills in with little regard for personal space...especially Saturday.

Thanks!

Suppose I'll do my best to keep an eye out for Citi Presale in that case. I want four each night so lawn is my only option through WH, and I don't mind hanging with a few thousand of our closest friends, but if people get sloppy and pushy it can mess with the experience some. How early would you say people start lining up to stake their spot?

grilldanmo 01-30-2020 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAssistant (Post 17624852)
Thanks!

Suppose I'll do my best to keep an eye out for Citi Presale in that case. I want four each night so lawn is my only option through WH, and I don't mind hanging with a few thousand of our closest friends, but if people get sloppy and pushy it can mess with the experience some. How early would you say people start lining up to stake their spot?

Hard to say. WH tix get you in early, so some folks are there as soon as they let us in so they can get a spot and/or a poster. Other folks aren’t interested in the poster and load in more casually and other wait until just before the show’s supposed to start...and decide to settle right in front of you.

If, however, you get in line early for the lawn you can nab the back pavilion rail and/or the very front of the lawn.

TheAssistant 01-30-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 17624859)
Hard to say. WH tix get you in early, so some folks are there as soon as they let us in so they can get a spot and/or a poster. Other folks aren’t interested in the poster and load in more casually and other wait until just before the show’s supposed to start...and decide to settle right in front of you.

If, however, you get in line early for the lawn you can nab the back pavilion rail and/or the very front of the lawn.

That's the plan. We always get a solid spot in WPB, just have to make sure we're close enough to get in the line in time. This being SPAC we'll probably show up quite a bit earlier and take a look at the line so we can get in the front.

Thanks for the info!! :thumbsup

grilldanmo 01-30-2020 02:24 PM

Having spewed all of that, I find that the lawn sounds better than pavilion, which is too boomy and muffled to my ears. UNLESS, you get the pit. The sound from the front stage speakers is not too loud and you hear Dave’s voice perfectly...only ever got that once...last year.

davisaj 01-30-2020 02:26 PM

Hey All, I'm bringing my kids for the first time this year and am curious if any one has any insight into the opportunity to request 2 reserved seats through warehouse + 2 lawn GA seats. My wife and daughter only want to have a picnic at the back of the lawn and dance the night away, meanwhile my son (and I of course) really want to be inside. I'm a 20 year member and have never been in this position before and Warehouse CS isn't emailing me back....thoughts?

TheAssistant 01-30-2020 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davisaj (Post 17624871)
Hey All, I'm bringing my kids for the first time this year and am curious if any one has any insight into the opportunity to request 2 reserved seats through warehouse + 2 lawn GA seats. My wife and daughter only want to have a picnic at the back of the lawn and dance the night away, meanwhile my son (and I of course) really want to be inside. I'm a 20 year member and have never been in this position before and Warehouse CS isn't emailing me back....thoughts?

If WH won't accommodate, I would try for the reserved on WH to see what you get and then Citi Presale the Lawn Tickets (should be little issue.)

grilldanmo 01-30-2020 03:52 PM

Quote:

When they do instants there are usually lawns for SPAC. If you don't opt out of lawns in a WH for SPAC, you will at least get lawns. If you do opt out of lawns, you are less likely to get tix at all...via the WH.

I'd just order two PIT tix and see what you get...

CrushLive 01-30-2020 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donvito72 (Post 17624448)
This sounds fantastic - that one is still on my bucket list.

I haven't had a drink since January 4. My month off is almost up - next Thursday I'll be in Tampa to see my Penguins play the Lightning and to get out of this cold for a little. No chance that I WON'T be stopping at Angry Chair on my way to Amalie Arena and picking up a cubano at Bodega.

Haven’t been there but heard good things. My favorite in the Tampa area is Green Bench

CrushLive 01-30-2020 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAssistant (Post 17624781)
Hey all!

First year making the trip to SPAC, I've got four in my group and we' like to sit together so it looks like lawn is my only option in terms of requests.

How does the lawn in SPAC compare to West Palm or Atlanta? Does the lineup to get a good viewpoint require much camping?

Loving all the pointers about Saratoga as well. I have a good friend flying in from Ireland to hang in NYC for the week and join me for her first DMB shows. Seems like a lot of fun to explore during the day. :D

SPAC lawn is a different beast. Cramped and bad sight lines.

CrushLive 01-30-2020 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 17624869)
Having spewed all of that, I find that the lawn sounds better than pavilion, which is too boomy and muffled to my ears. UNLESS, you get the pit. The sound from the front stage speakers is not too loud and you hear Dave’s voice perfectly...only ever got that once...last year.

Sound from the pit is horrible. You don’t get the true sound cause of the speaker angle.

CrushLive 01-30-2020 04:54 PM

Triple Encore

Enjoying a TH Curiosity 87

CrushLive 01-30-2020 04:56 PM

Quote:

Why not just get your lawn tickets thru regular TM sale or wait for instants? This show isn’t selling out

grilldanmo 01-30-2020 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrushLive (Post 17624914)
Sound from the pit is horrible. You don’t get the true sound cause of the speaker angle.

Last year in the pit on N2 at the rail right near to the mini speaker tower between Buddy and Timmy the sound was the best I've hear at SPAC since being on the lawn N2 on 2017. The mix was perfect, Dave's voice and guitar were loud and clear, I could hear Jeff, Fonz's bass was right there, etc. The volume was still kind of high, but I had a plug that I swapped between ears. The best sound I've heard in a shed for DMB since the late '90s...

N1 last year, both 2018s, and N1 in 2017 at SPAC lacked clarity and Dave's voice was muted/muffled and/or washed out by the band. Too much volume being pumped from the hanging towers (including sound bouncing around in the shed), ALL of the crowd noise (singing & talking), and more make the pavilion less than ideal when DMB plays there these days.

jsolomon 01-30-2020 05:20 PM

evening everyone

MidwestGirl 01-30-2020 07:16 PM

You can always buy lawn tickets on the resale market for face or less (message boards, FB, cash or trade)

davisaj 01-31-2020 04:36 AM

Thanks all. Great solution to buy the 2 through WH and then lawns throw TM. Not sure why I hadn’t thought of that.

I’m not to concerned about sight lines as long as a video screen is viewable. Any idea if this is the case from the back of the lawn? I started going to SPAC in 97 but haven’t been back since 05ish.

CrushLive 01-31-2020 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davisaj (Post 17625044)
Thanks all. Great solution to buy the 2 through WH and then lawns throw TM. Not sure why I hadn’t thought of that.

I’m not to concerned about sight lines as long as a video screen is viewable. Any idea if this is the case from the back of the lawn? I started going to SPAC in 97 but haven’t been back since 05ish.

For big shows they now have screens on top of the roof

unccrombie 01-31-2020 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrushLive (Post 17625065)

Giggity.

donvito72 01-31-2020 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrushLive (Post 17624915)
Triple Encore

Enjoying a TH Curiosity 87

Picked up a Barrel Aged Black Clouds Coffee Cake bottle from Dancing Gnome yesterday - limited edition - got bottle 239/240. Anxious to give that a go.

Had the Curiosity 81 brought back with me from TH in November.

prdstmnky36 01-31-2020 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrushLive (Post 17625065)

Retractable?

CrushLive 01-31-2020 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 (Post 17625151)
Retractable?

No retractable roof :lol

bartender407 01-31-2020 09:13 AM

Are there any advantages/ disadvantages when making a priority selection for a show in WH?

prdstmnky36 01-31-2020 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrushLive (Post 17625323)
No retractable roof :lol

I meant the video screens!

grilldanmo 01-31-2020 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bartender407 (Post 17625364)
Are there any advantages/ disadvantages when making a priority selection for a show in WH?

I've heard that it doesn't...

I'd like to think that it makes tweaks your percentages for the show you select. BUT it probably means nothing for SPAC, being one of if not the most requested shows of the season. We've gotten SPAC once in the last four+ years of WH-ing...got stupid lucky last year. It's not happening again and I assume that I won't get anything on Citi Presale and the public sale either...gonna be a lot of work through the spring and summer to track down tix.

bouda 01-31-2020 01:04 PM

Is there a Citi presale for SPAC this year? Looking at the LN ticket pages, all it as listed for February 18 is an Official Platinum sale - other shows show a Citi presale listed for the 18th.

MidwestGirl 01-31-2020 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 17625388)
I've heard that it doesn't...

I'd like to think that it makes tweaks your percentages for the show you select. BUT it probably means nothing for SPAC, being one of if not the most requested shows of the season. We've gotten SPAC once in the last four+ years of WH-ing...got stupid lucky last year. It's not happening again and I assume that I won't get anything on Citi Presale and the public sale either...gonna be a lot of work through the spring and summer to track down tix.

It supposedly does, and Peter has an excellent explanation of how it works (Ants name dmbolp?)

From a post on the WH boards:

"Priority show selection gives you one more "ping pong ball" entry for confirmation for that show, so it slightly increases your chances of getting tickets. It does not affect seating."

I wouldn't waste my priority on SPAC

grilldanmo 01-31-2020 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidwestGirl (Post 17625587)
It supposedly does, and Peter has an excellent explanation of how it works (Ants name dmbolp?)

From a post on the WH boards:

"Priority show selection gives you one more "ping pong ball" entry for confirmation for that show, so it slightly increases your chances of getting tickets. It does not affect seating."

I wouldn't waste my priority on SPAC

That’s what I thought...classic draft/lottery percentage increase...

Why wouldn’t you use priority in SPAC?

coombse 01-31-2020 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 17625595)
That’s what I thought...classic draft/lottery percentage increase...

Why wouldn’t you use priority in SPAC?

Because everyone else does,essentially making the odds the same....

coombse 01-31-2020 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAssistant (Post 17624852)
Thanks!

you're not getting 4 SEATS together unless you buy season tickets, or platinum tickets. Just not happening

CrushLive 01-31-2020 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coombse (Post 17625603)
Because everyone else does,essentially making the odds the same....

Are there other shows that have large amounts of declines though?