Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Album Coming in One Week! (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354555)

ToySoldier#34 09-28-2020 06:32 AM

Re: New Album Coming Soon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by eggsrsweet (Post 17793102)
The reason they screw up the setlist is because the albums are ass. If the album is good, the setlists are good

It depends though, the songs off SU are better live than CT, CT is a better album than SU. Not many of the songs people want on a new album are great live songs but would make for a great listen on an album, DoTHS for example. I agree with your general point for the most part but they don't necessarily go hand in hand.

DMBvol41 09-28-2020 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTCS_JTR (Post 17792673)
Studio Bismarck, and more sax please

Completely agree

scottpr 09-28-2020 07:45 AM

Quote:

It was already recorded in studio, and sounded good.

BruceW 09-28-2020 07:47 AM

Quote:

Fuck yes to both. Much more studio sax
Quote:

Originally Posted by willndmb (Post 17792895)
No interest in a new album if it is Batson based or anywhere near as bad as CT is

Agreed
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottpr (Post 17793149)

Oh yes! Hopefully it makes the cut this time around

BTBaboon 09-28-2020 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17793107)
It depends though, the songs off SU are better live than CT, CT is a better album than SU. Not many of the songs people want on a new album are great live songs but would make for a great listen on an album, DoTHS for example. I agree with your general point for the most part but they don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Kill the King, Break Free, Bismarck, Crazy Easy

4 pretty good-to-great live cuts that people want on a new album. I'm hesitant to throw in Sugar Will, just because I know the fan-base is rather split on the tune in the live setting.

nickdi913 09-28-2020 07:54 AM

Rumor is Boyd is also there w/ Dave & Carter....

dontdrink36 09-28-2020 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdi913 (Post 17793157)

Source on this?

crushme5 09-28-2020 07:57 AM

Quote:

Woah! You’re kidding right?

haiku.warrior 09-28-2020 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTBaboon (Post 17793156)

4 pretty good-to-great live cuts that people want on a new album. I'm hesitant to throw in Sugar Will, just because I know the fan-base is rather split on the tune in the live setting.

Replace Bismarck with Blackjack and I'd be a happy camper. Would love to see an official release of Sugar Will one day also

mquerques92 09-28-2020 08:27 AM

Quote:

Are people split on the song in a live setting in general, or is it just the current live arrangement?

BTBaboon 09-28-2020 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mquerques92 (Post 17793176)
Are people split on the song in a live setting in general, or is it just the current live arrangement?

Maybe a little from column A, column B.

I love the song on live recordings. I can understand how in the moment, at a show, it may sap some energy out of the setlist flow. The repetitive (and, on occasion, drawn out) intro and no "peak" in the song can be a bit of a snoozer for folks.

BruceW 09-28-2020 08:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by crushme5 (Post 17793160)
Woah! You’re kidding right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17793159)
Source on this?

:lol :lol

ToySoldier#34 09-28-2020 08:41 AM

Quote:

I'd absolutely love Kill the King on a new album, have always thought Break Free is overrated, indifferent about Bismarck, Crazy Easy is the cats tits. I'd trade Break Free for Run While We Can / Break for It which I'm sure is probably a less common preference.

Sugar Will was the best song from the last very mediocre DMB show I saw

mquerques92 09-28-2020 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTBaboon (Post 17793181)
Maybe a little from column A, column B.

I love the song on live recordings. I can understand how in the moment, at a show, it may sap some energy out of the setlist flow. The repetitive (and, on occasion, drawn out) intro and no "peak" in the song can be a bit of a snoozer for folks.

I think if they went back to Dave playing the main part instead of the horns, I'd love to hear it a few times a year (even a super long version here and there). As it is now, I'd be ok not hearing it at a show again.

mquerques92 09-28-2020 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17793190)
I'd absolutely love Kill the King on a new album, have always thought Break Free is overrated, indifferent about Bismarck, Crazy Easy is the cats tits. I'd trade Break Free for Run While We Can / Break for It which I'm sure is probably a less common preference.

Sugar Will was the best song from the last very mediocre DMB show I saw

I'd take Break for It over Break Free 100% of the time

dontdrink36 09-28-2020 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17793185)
:lol :lol

I mean surely Boyd isn't there. We have a pretty fucking solid source in Dave saying he and Carter were together. It seems like if Boyd were there we would have some kind of proof.

For the record, I have no desire for Boyd to rejoin DMB ever again. His inability to play his instrument and lack of giving a fuck about his craft should disqualify him from ever coming back.

I'd be cool with a violin, but not Boyd. Though the violin returning to DMB is about as likely as Boyd being a part of the Dave and Carter jam sessions.

daveshookme 09-28-2020 12:49 PM

Writing new material != new album

ElijahSoRight72 09-28-2020 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottpr (Post 17793149)

Yeah all the insiders around here who heard it, or knew someone who had, said they really nailed it. Which makes me doubt we'll hear it anytime soon.

Even though Dave said he was writing with Carter, I still hope Kill the King and Break Free still have a chance to be worked on for the next album. IF they don't copy/paste like on CT.

Speaking of insiders..... anybody have anything new to add about what's happening? :D

jmkratt 09-28-2020 03:26 PM

Sugarwill is the shit.

dontdrink36 09-28-2020 03:27 PM

If we get a new album and its a mash up of old and new my ideal album would be something like this.

Bismarck
Break Free
Death on the High Seas
Sugar Will
Crazy Easy
Good Good Time
6-8 new tunes

Jeff being prominently featured as the primary soloist.

Jamima2fl 09-28-2020 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17793547)
If we get a new album and its a mash up of old and new my ideal album would be something like this.

Bismarck
Break Free
Death on the High Seas
Sugar Will
Crazy Easy
Good Good Time
6-8 new tunes

I'll take Shotgun over Crazy Easy all day.

dontdrink36 09-28-2020 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamima2fl (Post 17793596)
I'll take Shotgun over Crazy Easy all day.

I like Shotgun but not nearly as much as Crazy Easy. I'd be fine with it on the album. But I dont need any old songs on a new album

monizzle145 09-28-2020 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eggsrsweet (Post 17793102)
The reason they screw up the setlist is because the albums are ass. If the album is good, the setlists are good.

Not to get political but if we re-elect the incumbent, I can assure you, COVID-19 will be relevant for awhile.

Disagree 100% If they only played the best 5 songs from AFTW and skipped the mediocre songs sets would be vastly different. Same with Come Tomorrow. Same goes for Everyday. Dave post roi has had a habit of not playing his best songs often like Broken Things, The Riff, Drunken Soldier, Black and Bluebird, Virginia in the Rain, etc.

monizzle145 09-28-2020 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17793547)

Bismarck
Break Free
Death on the High Seas
Sugar Will
Crazy Easy
Good Good Time
6-8 new tunes

Trusting Dave to write 6-8 new tunes is a huge risk. I would say maybe 3 or 4 new tunes max.

ToySoldier#34 09-28-2020 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17793598)
I like Shotgun but not nearly as much as Crazy Easy. I'd be fine with it on the album. But I dont need any old songs on a new album

I agree, I like both but if I had to choose one I'm going with Crazy Easy, especially if Jeff did anything close to how Roi used to play on it

dontdrink36 09-28-2020 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monizzle145 (Post 17793604)
Trusting Dave to write 6-8 new tunes is a huge risk. I would say maybe 3 or 4 new tunes max.

I'm sure he is more than capable of writing 6-8 more songs that are good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17793608)
I agree, I like both but if I had to choose one I'm going with Crazy Easy, especially if Jeff did anything close to how Roi used to play on it

:thumbsup

I'm hoping that this time off leads to a more sax centric sound.

Cptn. Monkeyman 09-28-2020 05:39 PM

Agreed about Crazy Easy. Shotgun is a more powerful song, it’s very good. But I’ll take Crazy Easy 9/10 times. It’s got a classic DMB sound to me, and I love the jazzy verse/jam section. One of Roi’s best.

ToySoldier#34 09-28-2020 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17793621)
:thumbsup

I'm hoping that this time off leads to a more sax centric sound.

Not sure if you listen to much of Jeff's music outside of DMB but he is such an awesome jazz player, even listening to him talk about music he's obsessed with jazz and has all these fascinating stories. It's crazy to me that they haven't channeled that into studio work with DMB. He isn't going to be Roi on Crazy Easy, Roi had his own unique voice, but Jeff is more than capable of making Crazy Easy shine and adding a jazz feel throughout a DMB album.

ViTR, DoTHS and a few others have a Radiohead type feel. I'd love DMB's direction to be split between the Radiohead type stuff, aggressive stuff that's all over the place like Kill the King which is very old school DMB in terms of structure, and jazz type playing.

dontdrink36 09-28-2020 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 (Post 17793660)
Not sure if you listen to much of Jeff's music outside of DMB but he is such an awesome jazz player, even listening to him talk about music he's obsessed with jazz and has all these fascinating stories. It's crazy to me that they haven't channeled that into studio work with DMB. He isn't going to be Roi on Crazy Easy, Roi had his own unique voice, but Jeff is more than capable of making Crazy Easy shine and adding a jazz feel throughout a DMB album.

ViTR, DoTHS and a few others have a Radiohead type feel. I'd love DMB's direction to be split between the Radiohead type stuff, aggressive stuff that's all over the place like Kill the King which is very old school DMB in terms of structure, and jazz type playing.

I really like Jeff's other work. He is criminally under utilized in DMB.

ElijahSoRight72 09-28-2020 06:24 PM

I'm going with Crazy Easy too, mostly because at this point, it would be so freakin difficult to nail the potential Shotgun has. I think seeing what happened to Idea of You showed me that if they don't really take the time with it, it could be a waste. Crazy Easy would be simpler to make a great studio version. And god I love Jeff soloing over the last chorus in both Bismarck and CE.