Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   The Tailgate (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   The NHL Thread (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=324692)

TMoore4075 10-10-2017 05:26 AM

Re: The NHL Thread (Penns are garage league champs)

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 16906269)
:( :(

A most disappointing start to the season. I know it's early but I just hope they don't dig themselves a hole too big to get out of over the next couple of months.

I'd think they would rebound and get going but it's funny to say dig a hole this early in an 82 game season but with how tight teams are now it can take a lot of time to dig yourself out if you start off crappy.

aeroshady 10-10-2017 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16906277)
I'd think they would rebound and get going but it's funny to say dig a hole this early in an 82 game season but with how tight teams are now it can take a lot of time to dig yourself out if you start off crappy.

Exactly.

Rangers need a good performance tonight against the Blues.

Chumlee67 10-10-2017 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16906174)
Yeah, some of the new rules make no sense at all. Cracking down on slashing I get but sometimes they are calling things a slash when it is just inadvertent contact that would never have been called in the past. The faceoff one is even more annoying because it slows the game down so much and at certain points if say you are shorthanded you end up with a defenseman taking the draw. I also do not agree that a failed challenge should result in a bench minor nor do I like the rule that a coach cannot use a timeout after an icing. They are reinventing the wheel on some things and it is getting sort of annoying to see the impact it has on games that actually count because I do not think many of us gave a damn about the extra slash calls or the faceoff tosses during pre-season but some of the refs have just not slowed down that pace but are actually slowing down the game with their interpretations.

I couldn't have said it any better if I tried! :thumbsup

Lcsulla 10-10-2017 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMoore4075 (Post 16906263)
And about last night, fuck you Hawks and Caps for not being able to win those games. lol And wow Oilers..the Jets? Really?

:lol Well, as A Hawks fan I am pretty pissed they blew that lead in the third and got beaten in OT. Glad we got a point out of it because frankly they came out pretty flat and really only played well for about 20 minutes from about 5 minutes into the game until a few minutes into the second - outside of that the Leafs just outplayed them. Since Barbs is the only Caps fan I know I imagine he is no happier that Washington last than I am about the Hawks losing so he and I finally have something to agree on!

TMoore4075 10-10-2017 08:49 AM

I know it's early and a long season but if the Wings are gonna make the playoffs they need all the help they can get so I gotta root against all Atlantic Division teams. I'd love for the Wings to suck and get a top 3 pick and trade away as much as possible to get more picks but I have a feeling they might end up in the race. Make it? I dunno but I think they'll be better than last year.

kev87lads 10-10-2017 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16906572)
:lol Well, as A Hawks fan I am pretty pissed they blew that lead in the third and got beaten in OT. Glad we got a point out of it because frankly they came out pretty flat and really only played well for about 20 minutes from about 5 minutes into the game until a few minutes into the second - outside of that the Leafs just outplayed them. Since Barbs is the only Caps fan I know I imagine he is no happier that Washington last than I am about the Hawks losing so he and I finally have something to agree on!

#freebrohan #brohan1519

swordo84 10-10-2017 09:36 AM

Quote:

I've never seen #19 (or anyone for that matter) get kicked out of the faceoff circle more than last night. He seemed to be getting really frustrated with the linesmen.

Lcsulla 10-10-2017 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev87lads (Post 16906658)
#freebrohan #brohan1519

Oh, now I know 2. I just thought he was a hockey fan in general but was not sure whom he cheered for. Thanks Kev!

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 16906670)
I've never seen #19 (or anyone for that matter) get kicked out of the faceoff circle more than last night. He seemed to be getting really frustrated with the linesmen.

Yeah, I noticed that too. By the third period you could see him getting notably frustrated as hell and I do not blame him - the Leafs guys were getting tossed just as quick and did not look any happier. That ref last night was really into the new rule and enforcing it with some real gusto - game would have been a half hour shorter if they had not tossed so many guys out of faceoffs and called 13 total penalties - most of which were slashes that would not have been called a year ago because there was no intent to slash.

Roose13 10-10-2017 10:51 AM

Didn't Lsculla ban brohan too?

#freebrohan

Lcsulla 10-10-2017 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16906782)
Didn't Lsculla ban brohan too?

#freebrohan

Yeah, I did and I regret it and apologize to him if he will accept. Honestly I was just having one of those lousy days so I was cranky and from the few posts I saw I thought he was trolling. That was my bad and I am sorry.

TMoore4075 10-10-2017 11:00 AM

Everyone seems to hate the faceoff thing. The Detroit TV guys were making a point, it makes the 2nd guy less aggressive after the first guys gets kicked out cause he doesn't want to get a penalty. It's really stupid. It's lop-siding it to the other team.

The slashes are getting crazy. I get trying to call it tighter but this is stupid. The Wings and Sens game the other night it just felt like constant power plays.

Lcsulla 10-10-2017 11:01 AM

PS - it is Lcsulla, not Lsculla - aren't your a reporter Roose? :)

Roose13 10-10-2017 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16906802)

Nice typo, just like mine :)

swordo84 10-10-2017 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16906802)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 16906814)

:lol:lol:lol

Re: Slashing calls......it's lame, and I suspect in a month they'll back off a bit. Right now it seems fairly simple though - keep your stick away from the opposition's hands.

barbogast 10-10-2017 11:29 AM

Quote:

:lol :lol :lol

barbogast 10-10-2017 11:33 AM

Quote:

Hey we agree sometimes about some things! Sometimes :lol :)

As for the Caps last night, they didn’t deserve the point they got, so I guess I can only be but so mad. That lead blowing thing is showing it’s ugly face too much already though. That’s the Caps though I guess.

It’s nice to see that the top 6’s offensive production is already in midseason form. I hope they keep that up. Need more from Burakovsky. He STILL looks like a passenger out there.

Lcsulla 10-10-2017 11:55 AM

Quote:

Well played - I did not even notice that because the damn window behind my monitor has the sun right in my eyes! I have had this user name for ages (back to my AOL screen name) and no one ever knows what it means!

Quote:

Originally Posted by swordo84 (Post 16906843)
:lol:lol:lol

Re: Slashing calls......it's lame, and I suspect in a month they'll back off a bit. Right now it seems fairly simple though - keep your stick away from the opposition's hands.

I agree that slashing needs to be cut down on but if memory serves you played some hockey in your day. if I am correct on that you know that sometimes your stick just gets caught up in another players gear and when you try to pull it away it can look like slashing but the difference is there is no intent to slash when you are just trying to get control of your stick in a board scrum or something similar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbogast (Post 16906860)
Hey we agree sometimes about some things! Sometimes :lol :)

As for the Caps last night, they didn’t deserve the point they got, so I guess I can only be but so mad. That lead blowing thing is showing it’s ugly face too much already though. That’s the Caps though I guess.

It’s nice to see that the top 6’s offensive production is already in midseason form. I hope they keep that up. Need more from Burakovsky. He STILL looks like a passenger out there.

Agreed - it is nice we can agree on some things. Honestly, outside of a solid 20 minutes and one rush in the third the Hawks got outplayed. They did not really deserve that point either but Forsgerg stole it for them, had he not made so many point blank tough saves the score would have been like 8-3!

coldengrey12 10-10-2017 11:59 AM

We're almost a week into the season and the Avalanche haven't been statistically eliminated from the playoff race yet, so, they're doing better than I expected. :lol

Lcsulla 10-10-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldengrey12 (Post 16906904)
We're almost a week into the season and the Avalanche haven't been statistically eliminated from the playoff race yet, so, they're doing better than I expected. :lol

They looked sharp against Boston yesterday from what I saw.

coldengrey12 10-10-2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16906908)

I haven't had a chance to watch them yet.

They have a lot of guys who should be their horses on offense. It's a lot of the same core group of top-tier forwards Roy whipped into shape in 13-14, so I was surprised they were as dismal last year as they were.

Their biggest weakness continues to be that they'd be better off with a pile of cones at the blue line because those might actually trip an opponent up from time to time. :lol

Chumlee67 10-10-2017 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16906908)

I'm trying to forget that game hahaha

Lcsulla 10-10-2017 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldengrey12 (Post 16906925)
I haven't had a chance to watch them yet.

They have a lot of guys who should be their horses on offense. It's a lot of the same core group of top-tier forwards Roy whipped into shape in 13-14, so I was surprised they were as dismal last year as they were.

Their biggest weakness continues to be that they'd be better off with a pile of cones at the blue line because those might actually trip an opponent up from time to time. :lol

Yeah, it can be tough to watch a team if you are not in their local TV market. Nit sure how big a hockey fan you are but you might consider the NHL.tv subscription, you can get it for one team or every game - I get it for any game (regardless of team) and just use my ROKU with the NHL ap to watch it on my TV.

Know how you feel on D, been there - thankfully not recently! I was a Whalers fan for nearly 20 years until they skipped town and then I picked Chicago in 1997 and watched them bumble around for a while prior top the new era guys coming in starting with Keith and Seabrook on teh blue line! :lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chumlee67 (Post 16906984)
I'm trying to forget that game hahaha

I imagine. Still, you guy just got beat. I would prefer that to the Hawks game I watched last night when they blew a 2-0 and 3-1 lead. Sometimes it is easier for me to just see my team get beaten pretty solidly (even against an inferior opponent - sometimes your team just gets outplayed) than blowing a few leads! Hoping my Hawks bounce back against Montreal tonight and that the Yanks can win game 5 tomorrow in Cleveland!

TheLastPig 10-10-2017 01:22 PM

Trump needed pronunciation help on his prompter for Lemieux

https://twitter.com/BeauWTAE/status/917844170257108993

idk why but this just looks funny

~Crashintome89~ 10-10-2017 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPig (Post 16907002)
Trump needed pronunciation help on his prompter for Lemieux

https://twitter.com/BeauWTAE/status/917844170257108993

idk why but this just looks funny

Man, Mario looked like he wanted no parts to be there today.

coldengrey12 10-10-2017 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lcsulla (Post 16906997)
Yeah, it can be tough to watch a team if you are not in their local TV market. Nit sure how big a hockey fan you are but you might consider the NHL.tv subscription, you can get it for one team or every game - I get it for any game (regardless of team) and just use my ROKU with the NHL ap to watch it on my TV.

Know how you feel on D, been there - thankfully not recently! I was a Whalers fan for nearly 20 years until they skipped town and then I picked Chicago in 1997 and watched them bumble around for a while prior top the new era guys coming in starting with Keith and Seabrook on teh blue line! :lol

Thanks for the suggestion! The Avs are my favorite team in any sport, but I definitely don't follow them anywhere near as closely as Fonzz does.

On the whole, I've become a lazy, passive sports fan. If my teams are in big games, I'll watch or at least put it on. If not, I'll check the standings and shake my head.

I almost bought a Whalers shirt last year because I love that logo, but I thought, if I'm gonna wear throwback NHL garb, it should be the Nordiques.

TheLastPig 10-10-2017 01:44 PM

Just butchering names here :lol

https://twitter.com/Benstonium/statu...37281372798976

Lcsulla 10-10-2017 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldengrey12 (Post 16907033)
Thanks for the suggestion! The Avs are my favorite team in any sport, but I definitely don't follow them anywhere near as closely as Fonzz does.

On the whole, I've become a lazy, passive sports fan. If my teams are in big games, I'll watch or at least put it on. If not, I'll check the standings and shake my head.

I almost bought a Whalers shirt last year because I love that logo, but I thought, if I'm gonna wear throwback NHL garb, it should be the Nordiques.

No problem on the suggestion at all. I get lazy with sports but not hockey for some reason, I am also hoping the Yanks can clinch the series tomorrow but that is a playoff game so I am more into it. I agree Fonzz is a die hard - he is a good guy who knows as much about hockey as any of us in here.

Back to watching - if you do not want to pay the hundred bucks you can generally find a live stream on this site if you dig: https://www.reddit.com/r/NHLStreams/

Alazais 10-10-2017 03:14 PM

Leafs looked so good for the two periods and overtime last night. Matthews was lights out. 87% possession someone told me. The puck was either on his stick, or he was recovering it immediately.

Really exciting game for the Leafs. They dominated play for 2 periods and the overtime. That OT goal by Matthews was gorgeous.

(I'm aware it's only game three... I've only planned part of the parade)

Brohan_Santana 10-10-2017 03:15 PM

To set the record straight I AM a Capitals fan AND I also do like the NHL.

Going to be an emotional home opener for the Knights tonight. Nice they're honoring Vegas, victims and first responders.

Seeing Schmidt give an interview on behalf of the team makes my heart melt. Dude should still be on Caps. He'll be wearing an A on his chest next year no doubt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lcsulla 10-10-2017 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohan_Santana (Post 16907098)
To set the record straight I AM a Capitals fan AND I also do like the NHL.

Going to be an emotional home opener for the Knights tonight. Nice they're honoring Vegas, victims and first responders.

Seeing Schmidt give an interview on behalf of the team makes my heart melt. Dude should still be on Caps. He'll be wearing an A on his chest next year no doubt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed on Vegas, very classy to do.

As for you being a Caps fan, I honestly thought your President's trophy banner avatar was a taunt to Barbs! :lol