Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   DMBc Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dave and Friends Bonnaroo 2004 show to be aired as part of Virtual ROO-ALITY (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=354542)

Cscottrun 09-16-2020 08:09 AM

Dave and Friends Bonnaroo 2004 show to be aired as part of Virtual ROO-ALITY

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.bonnaroo.com/?utm_campai...-lineup-launch

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...2f&oe=5F87DEAD

Schedule is not out yet but the festival will be aired over the weekend of Sep 24-26.

Cscottrun 09-16-2020 08:12 AM

Re: Dave and Friends Bonnaroo 2004 show to be aired as part of Virtual ROO-ALITY

Here's the set: http://dmbalmanac.com/TourShowSet.as...=79&where=2004

BruceW 09-16-2020 08:17 AM

Re: Dave and Friends Bonnaroo 2004 show to be aired as part of Virtual ROO-ALITY

this will be awesome!

jackdewey 09-16-2020 08:25 AM

Awesome! And a Beastie Boys show too!!! Sweet :)

Whiteyxc514 09-16-2020 08:35 AM

Incredible! I got this show from Nugs a while back but it will be awesome to have video of it.

Cool lineup. My Morning Jacket is THE definitive Bonnaroo band IMO.

hensleytyler44 09-16-2020 08:36 AM

Anybody have a download of this show, I just read on the almanac you can't download it anymore from Bonnaroo website.

ToySoldier#34 09-16-2020 08:37 AM

The Too High from this show is legit

BruceW 09-16-2020 08:42 AM

Awesome opening sequence, first ever GGT, Too High, oh my.

I'm honestly surprised they aren't streaming a Phish Bonnaroo show considering there would be no Roo without Phish.

prdstmnky36 09-16-2020 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17787194)

I'm honestly surprised they aren't streaming a Phish Bonnaroo show considering there would be no Roo without Phish.

I’m not sure I follow your last sentence, Bruce? Phish didn’t play the first couple of Roo’s, I’d say Roo was carried by WSP the first couple years. Everyone I talked to was there to see Panic, it’s was pretty crazy (and shocking).

HoldemHart 09-16-2020 08:57 AM

Quote:

Care to explain further?

onetwothree 09-16-2020 09:02 AM

Panic 2007 Roo set was great

TimHonks 09-16-2020 09:05 AM

Great group of artists overall. Excited for D+F, but tons of other good stuff as well.

Pretty sure Bruce is talking about how Phish provided the blueprint for the modern day festival and I believe they helped a little behdind the scenes with Bonnaroo specifically, but don't remember the details. They talk about it a bit in Season 1 (Phish) of Long May They Run - which is a great listen and I'm not even a huge Phish guy.

BruceW 09-16-2020 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 (Post 17787205)
I’m not sure I follow your last sentence, Bruce? Phish didn’t play the first couple of Roo’s, I’d say Roo was carried by WSP the first couple years. Everyone I talked to was there to see Panic, it’s was pretty crazy (and shocking).

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoldemHart (Post 17787209)
Care to explain further?

You ask and you shall receive:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/ent...al/1304196001/

And from another article on Consequence of Sound:

"However, while Jazz Fest helped shaped the vibe of Bonnaroo from the start, it’s a far cry from what we think of most camping music festivals today. Instead, the Bonnaroo team also drew inspiration from this year’s returning headliners, Phish, who had been successfully hosting annual camping festivals since 1996’s Clifford Ball. In addition to proving the strength of jam band fans when they get behind an event, Phish’s hiatus in 2000 laid the groundwork to help Bonnaroo come to fruition.

Historically, when a major jam act disbands, it leaves a lot of lost jam band fans in the wreckage. When Jerry Garcia died and the Grateful Dead broke up in the mid-‘90s, many Deadheads jumped over to Phish to continue touring. During Phish’s first break, which spanned from 2000 to 2002, again, fans started searching out new summer plans. To an extent, Bonnaroo’s first year took advantage of this opening, tapping Phish frontman Trey Anastasio’s solo project to headline the festival alongside other touring bands that Phish fans had migrated to, such as Grateful Dead spin-off Phil Lesh & Friends, String Cheese Incident, Widespread Panic, Gov’t Mule, moe., the Disco Biscuits, and Umphrey’s McGee.

Besides bringing together the newly crowned heavy hitters of the jam band scene, the festival took cues from Phish’s pioneering presence on the Internet. When the World Wide Web was still in its fledgling incarnations, the Vermont quartet took full advantage of the medium, using it to directly communicate with fans, build fan communities, and support their touring. In turn, ‘Roo’s success in those first few years sans traditional marketing came, in part, from continued buzz generated online.

However, the hiatus also helped shape Bonnaroo more directly on a deeper level. Capps explained:

“By the time we actually got around to launching Bonnaroo, Phish was on hiatus, which enabled us to tap into their team. The people who had helped Phish create their festivals became the key leaders in helping us launch Bonnaroo, not only in the first year but in the first several years. They gave us a base of expertise that certainly was one of the key ingredients to our success in that first year — and I’m talking about nuts-and-bolts, operational things like the logistics of setting a festival up on the scale of Bonnaroo.”

Of course, Phish’s association with Bonnaroo extends outside the time of their first hiatus. While the members’ various side projects have always found a home at Bonnaroo, this year, the group returns to headline the festival for the third time. In 2009, the jam act debuted at the festival, making Bonnaroo one of their first stops after coming back from a second hiatus started in 2004. The band followed up their inaugural performance in 2012, when they served as headliners for the event’s most successful year to date with a staggering 100,000 people in attendance."

prdstmnky36 09-16-2020 09:18 AM

A big influence, sure...I don’t think it’s as absolute as you do though.

daveshookme 09-16-2020 09:21 AM

Quote:

Bruce the article you posted details how Bonnaroo came to be precisely BECAUSE there was no Phish ;)

BruceW 09-16-2020 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prdstmnky36 (Post 17787226)
A big influence, sure...I don’t think it’s as absolute as you do though.

Yea I mean I should've said "may not have been a Roo" or something less definitive.

I stand by the overwhelming influence though

BruceW 09-16-2020 09:59 AM

https://youtu.be/le5Tcnorr-o

Here's Trouble from this show

Klize17 09-16-2020 10:14 AM

The Up and Away from this show has been on any playlist I make for a very long time. Great show.

Hahninator 09-16-2020 10:22 AM

This will be awesome.

The entire lineup rocks. The Beastie Boys 2009 show is their last show they ever played. I taped it (and many others did, since they played before Phish) and to date it's one of my favorite tapes I've made.

ToySoldier#34 09-16-2020 10:56 AM

I've always thought it was kind of funny how much I like Dave and Friends considering the lineup isn't what I would typically be into, not in terms of the people on stage who are all phenomenal but instruments being used. I really like Phish's piano player.

kmb40oz 09-16-2020 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17787265)

2004!....

In this environment, it's sorta difficult to talk about the state of the world and remain as positive as an event like this is. I feel that the world is in ah, at least the world that we see from the media and we read about is an incredibly frightening and ugly place and maybe more ugly and more frightening than we can realize." - Dave Matthews

Not much has changed since 2004. Dave talking about how bad the world is yet he even realizes is the media perpetuating the narrative.

grilldanmo 09-16-2020 01:10 PM

Has it been confirmed that it will be complete D&F set? They did things like this for other festivals over the past few months and did 20-40 minutes portions of sets from the bigger/featured acts and only a song or two from the smaller acts.

We got to see the Some Devil tour opener and we've LOVED the album from first listen. Watching one of the D&F shows would be excellent.

jackdewey 09-16-2020 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 17787394)
Has it been confirmed that it will be complete D&F set? They did things like this for other festivals over the past few months and did 20-40 minutes portions of sets from the bigger/featured acts and only a song or two from the smaller acts.

We got to see the Some Devil tour opener and we've LOVED the album from first listen. Watching one of the D&F shows would be excellent.

I was wondering the same thing, since they show 14 main acts, and probably 30-40 other smaller acts and this is a 3-night event.

kelchlsm 09-17-2020 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 17787394)

This is a fair question, I reallyyyyyyyyyy hope its the whole thing

Cptn. Monkeyman 09-17-2020 10:26 AM

If it is just a partial set, I hope they get it right.

coldengrey12 09-17-2020 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiteyxc514 (Post 17787186)
Incredible! I got this show from Nugs a while back but it will be awesome to have video of it.

Cool lineup. My Morning Jacket is THE definitive Bonnaroo band IMO.

:thumbsup

Shame they're not broadcasting that monster 2008 set

grilldanmo 09-17-2020 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelchlsm (Post 17787763)
This is a fair question, I reallyyyyyyyyyy hope its the whole thing

Definitely, but will find some happiness w/ whatever we get.

Madnana 09-19-2020 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilldanmo (Post 17787996)
Definitely, but will find some happiness w/ whatever we get.

But what if all we get is this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17787265)

Really wouldn't surprise me at all. As soon as I heard about this I automatically assumed it would be that Bonnaroo '04 documentary. Quite frankly, I'll be shocked if they show any more than that.

LaLaLaLaHey 09-19-2020 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cscottrun (Post 17787175)

Wilco played before them? And with an awesome set! Wish they’d stream that!

prdstmnky36 09-19-2020 08:37 AM

Wilco, then Dylan, then D&F