Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/index.php)
-   Come Tomorrow (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=119)
-   -   Black & Bluebird (https://www.antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=347042)

Madnana 05-05-2018 07:38 AM

Black & Bluebird

Ever since its debut on one of the last Legends on Letterman ever, I've always felt something special about this song. After being heavily played in 2015, I was worried when they cut back on it in 2016. I love that it made the album cut and it may be the one I'm most excited to hear. I just hope they have room for a nice little jam at the end!

Let's all meet up at Betelgeuse in 600 years...

dontdrink36 05-05-2018 08:50 AM

Re: Black & Bluebird

Love this tune. I hope they let it breathe on the album with a nice outro jam.

chadizzy1 05-05-2018 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17089088)
Love this tune. I hope they let it breathe on the album with a nice outro jam.

Look at the vinyl:

Side C
Again and Again
bkdkdkdd
Black and Blue Bird
Come on Come On

It shares a side with 4 songs, which is really pushing it - so if it does breathe, the other songs will have to be really short. Or, they shorten B&BB.

bubba40 05-05-2018 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madnana (Post 17089049)
Ever since its debut on one of the last Legends on Letterman ever, I've always felt something special about this song. After being heavily played in 2015, I was worried when they cut back on it in 2016. I love that it made the album cut and it may be the one I'm most excited to hear. I just hope they have room for a nice little jam at the end!

Let's all meet up at Betelgeuse in 600 years...

:thumbsup

alec 05-05-2018 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadizzy1 (Post 17089100)
Look at the vinyl:

Side C
Again and Again
bkdkdkdd
Black and Blue Bird
Come on Come On

It shares a side with 4 songs, which is really pushing it - so if it does breathe, the other songs will have to be really short. Or, they shorten B&BB.

Maybe bkdkdkdd is a very short Roi moment?

Roose13 05-05-2018 09:18 AM

Quote:

Look at the vinyl:

Side C
Again and Again
bkdkdkdd
Black and Blue Bird
Come on Come On

It's possible the BKDKDKDD and Again and Again could be short songs base solely on my gut and nothing more

DMBCardinal 05-05-2018 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roose13 (Post 17089108)
It's possible the BKDKDKDD and Again and Again could be short songs base solely on my gut and nothing more

Again and Again (Bob Law) is over 4 minutes. I'm guessing Bkdk is very short.

To be honest, I think it would be ok if they took out one of the verses in BBB. They could still keep the nice outro and it would be around 5 minutes.

Cptn. Monkeyman 05-05-2018 10:36 AM

I really love this song. Loved it since I saw it live in ‘15, and I listened to LT36 often. Probably my most anticipated track (along with A&A, and IOY).

I think the side C is going to be my favorite side. If bdkdkdkdk is a short instrumental, maybe 2 minutes ish, then blahblah comes in around 4 1/2 minutes; that leaves a good amount of time between B&BB and COCO. Would love a 6 minute studio version of this song :)

Roose13 05-05-2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMBCardinal (Post 17089127)
Again and Again (Bob Law) is over 4 minutes. I'm guessing Bkdk is very short.

To be honest, I think it would be ok if they took out one of the verses in BBB. They could still keep the nice outro and it would be around 5 minutes.

Oh is that what Bob Law was changed to? Nevermind then! Haha

dontdrink36 05-05-2018 02:21 PM

Quote:

Look at the vinyl:

Side C
Again and Again
bkdkdkdd
Black and Blue Bird
Come on Come On

Well that's possibly disappointing. The outro is bliss.

BruceW 05-05-2018 02:57 PM

One side can equal 20 min max really, so that obviously gives those 4 songs a 5 min average. What if bkdkdkdd is only 1-2 min? Then the other 3 can be about 6 min. Again and Again will probably be in the 4:30-5 min range. Come On, Come On was rumored to be a single so maybe that one is 4ish minutes? The Alpine LT Black and Bluebird is perfect and it’s 7 min.

I have no clue on track times for anything here, but I wouldn’t let the 4 songs on a side completely deter your hopes!

Madnana 05-06-2018 05:49 AM

Quote:

Side C
Again and Again
bkdkdkdd
Black and Blue Bird
Come on Come On

Yeah, if bkdkdkdkdkdkdd is just a Roibomb, it may even be less than a minute long. I can't remember, how long was Grux?

I think there's a good chance B&BB will be the longest song on Side C

dontdrink36 05-06-2018 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17089252)
One side can equal 20 min max really, so that obviously gives those 4 songs a 5 min average. What if bkdkdkdd is only 1-2 min? Then the other 3 can be about 6 min. Again and Again will probably be in the 4:30-5 min range. Come On, Come On was rumored to be a single so maybe that one is 4ish minutes? The Alpine LT Black and Bluebird is perfect and it’s 7 min.

I have no clue on track times for anything here, but I wouldn’t let the 4 songs on a side completely deter your hopes!

I hope you're right. The song needs that outro. To cut it in the studio would be criminal.

On previous releases when were track times revealed?

alec 05-06-2018 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dontdrink36 (Post 17089551)
I hope you're right. The song needs that outro. To cut it in the studio would be criminal.

On previous releases when were track times revealed?

Agreed. Fade outs are for pussies. Something that really annoys me about AFTW is the fade out on Mercy. It sounds so obvious to have let the band play it out and then seemlessly go into that high hat that starts out Gaucho with no fade.
Also the fade out on If Only. It would be much better to end it like they do live.

Fingers crossed that B&BB doesn’t fade out.

pattyman313 05-06-2018 09:48 AM

To be honest, B&BB is a top 10 post-05 song for me. I can't wait to hear what they do with it in the studio.

groogrux27 05-06-2018 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceW (Post 17089252)

ya i'm thinking this is probably the case.

BUT check out this scenario:

A&A about 5, Come On Come On about 4, so thats 9, we have 11 left. B&BB could be 7 and we still have 4 minutes for bkdkdkdd

did I do my math right?

RiotAct 05-06-2018 03:19 PM

I do not like it in a set
I do not like it with the Chet!

I do not like it at Gorge or SPAC...
I do not like it, take it back.

I do not like it here or there
I di not like it anywhere!

Ram 05-06-2018 03:59 PM

I love any time the band puts together something in an odd time signature. So few bands try that sort of thing. This little 5/8 jam is is nice. I'm looking forward to the album version.

TwoStep2888 05-06-2018 04:15 PM

I like B&BB a lot

Cptn. Monkeyman 05-06-2018 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram (Post 17089803)
I love any time the band puts together something in an odd time signature. So few bands try that sort of thing. This little 5/8 jam is is nice. I'm looking forward to the album version.

:thumbsup:thumbsup Love this song, musically and lyrically one of their best this decade. Can't wait to hear it in studio. Can't see what's not to love about this one as a DMB fan. Sick guitar riff, wacky time signatures, bad ass bridge, great horns. All around great song.

paultwood1 05-06-2018 04:51 PM

I expect bkdkdkdd to segue in between these two so probably around 1:30-2 minutes, so I think COCO could be about 5 minutes and even still BBB could be 7

Cptn. Monkeyman 05-06-2018 05:04 PM

Yeah, chances are they won’t fill the entire 22 minutes for the side, but even with 4 tracks, we can still get a solid 6-7 min out of Black & Blue:

Again & Again - 4:28
bkdkdkdk - 2:00~
Black & Blue Bird - 6:36
Come On, Come On - 5:00~

I think this would be ideal for this side. Blahblah needs to come in around 4.5 min, and B&BB needs to be over 6. That’d leave realistically about 6-8 minutes between bsjdhjzsm and Come On. Could be two shorter 3-4 minute tracks, or could be a very short track then a solid 5 minutes in CO.

space_raven 05-08-2018 08:50 AM

Love Black and Blue Bird.

Aforauer 05-08-2018 09:03 AM

Really starting to like this song. Wasn't a fan originally but the more I listen the more I like it. Love the horns at the end.

bubba40 05-08-2018 10:05 PM

They have GOT to let Jeff loose on this tune.

rhizingbines 05-14-2018 05:20 AM

So I guess they cut B&BB if the track times on Google are correct.

Interested to hear how the shortened version sounds. I love everything about this song so excited either way.

RiotAct 05-14-2018 05:22 AM

The shorter the better, IMO.

rhizingbines 05-14-2018 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiotAct (Post 17099287)

I agree that it did drag on for a bit and could’ve used a little shortening.

BTBaboon 05-14-2018 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhizingbines (Post 17099285)
So I guess they cut B&BB if the track times on Google are correct.

Interested to hear how the shortened version sounds. I love everything about this song so excited either way.

I'm interested in how they pulled off getting the thing to be 1 minute and 25 seconds shorter than it's shortest live play ever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiotAct (Post 17099287)

They could cut a verse or chorus, but to (likely) have cut the outro is a shame. That's one of the better pieces of DMB-sounding music they've made over the past 10 years or so.

scrock25 05-14-2018 05:44 AM

This song is fucking awful.